2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Henrik Hjortnaes

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Submissions until 21-06-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

kevin gobin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Submissions until 21-06-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by kevin gobin »

Do you think I will be triggered or sample replaced soon Henrik?
Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

kevin gobin wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:51 CEST
Do you think I will be triggered or sample replaced soon Henrik?
:lol: Not sure what to answer to that, so I'll leave you with a picture while we await the rest of the mixes - because why not!

Baddo

Post by Baddo »

Ok, I have been listening to the entries and must say the quality is great. Good job guys! I can't wait till the 21st arrives and I get to comment on these. Nice work so far!
Coiled_Ear

Post by Coiled_Ear »

Mp3 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpsas3i6cp2md ... r.mp3?dl=0
WAV - https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5q57ezt2lrsg ... r.wav?dl=0

Great track and perfomance!
I've used - transient shaper (Softube), compressors (Ableton Compressor, Aurosor) and EQ (FABfilter pro-q2) on drums. Some Valhalla VintageVerb on Snare and Toms. On rhytm guitars - pro-q2, Decapitator and some reverb on solo and lead guitars. That's it!
Jarouse

Post by Jarouse »

Hello! Here is my mix

thanks for the song, I really love working with adrenaline music. :phones:
I decided that this track should sound commercially and openly.
I used parallel compression, a lot of EQ and saturation. Basically these are waves and softube plugins.
If you like it, I'll be happy to mix and master this song completely.
There is nothing on the master bus.
I mixing this today, and maybe I'll make changes when I listen later.

MP3 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=17G-fa ... bYW5OKSOYa
WAV - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lbhG7 ... BWk9GfLTyu
Dr.Acula

Post by Dr.Acula »

Hi folks,

first of all: thank you for this mixing contest.

Yes, I used my own samples because I misunderstood the rules. If I get disqualified it would be okay for me.
I hope you enjoy this mix :tu:
Documentation: just basic eq, dynamic eq, compression, saturation, parallel compression, room plugins for the drums etc.
I reamped the guitars with some free amps and cabinets.
No limiters. At the end I normalized the whole mix.
Nothing special at all :smile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gar6g4f4rdb6y ... a.wav?dl=0
Dr.Acula

Post by Dr.Acula »

Henrik Hjortnaes wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 23:29 CEST
A great composition and very well recorded tracks, especially the guitars and bass guitar. Tremendous playing, I must say.

I used the original drums. No personal samples added (I've never done that on this forum).
I kept the guitars. No reamping here.
I kept the bass guitar. No reamping here.
I did not find use for the "C01" guitar mic tracks.
I did not find use for the "Drum Processor" track.

One of my main efforts in mixing this song has been to avoid a gaping hole in the middle. I have tried to create stronger guitars in the mid channel.The reference mix, to me, is a "good" example of how detached the stereo image becomes when panning too wide. Maybe a matter of taste? Impressive at first listen, but soon becomes unnatural and un-glued to listen to. By panning so wide, clarity is obtained quite easily, but at the price of solid projection.

I did a lot to maintain and improve punch from everything, using loads of automation, transient shaping and also saturation. NI Transient Master and Soundtoys Sie-Q are amazing tools in this department. Wavesfactory Spectre as well, as it can lift certain frequencies in a track with ease to improve clarity using harmonics (distortion). I have hit certain parts very hard with saturation/distortion.

I've used BRA's equalizers almost exclusively to sculpt the low mids and the low end. I love these plugins to death. I think the secret to them is no real time analyzer display and great, proven curves.

With regards to the guitar sound, I forced myself to inject some mid frequencies into them, to avoid a too scooped-out sound. It is tempting to scoop them and have a huge low-end to them, but as there are no vocals, I felt I needed to fill the gap. For the same reason, I balanced the 421's quieter than the 57's of every guitar.

wav: MC044_-_Leonardo Badinella_-_Kat Kat Katan_-_HenrikHjortnaes.wav
mp3: MC044_-_Leonardo Badinella_-_Kat Kat Katan_-_HenrikHjortnaes.mp3
This is my favorite mix. You completely nailed it at 0:21 min!!
RichardClarke

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Submissions until 04-06-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by RichardClarke »

Baddo wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 02:52 CEST
Hello folks, I'm the author. I'll be here in case you have any questions.
Hi, I'm going to leave on Holiday on the 21st and so if I do manage to get through to the 2nd round won't be able to get any feedback and resubmit :sad:

In case mine does get through to the 2nd round is it ok to make a final submission before the 21st with the tweaks I've worked on in the meantime?

I'll totally understand if not but thought I'd ask to be sure!
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi everyone,
I just registered on the site and this is my first participation in this "mix-challenge"
quick technical description: tracks installed on Reaper, pre-mix on 24 tracks reported on HD24 and mixing on Tascam 4800.
I used equalization and automation and the final mix on "WaveLab"
The general idea was to make the mix rather "spacial" by keeping a clear rhythm section with guitars rather "bushy" and a sound "typed" for the solos while remaining of course in the spirit of metal music
I hope that you will appreciate it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5bi9eid13k5t ... z.wav?dl=0

Cheers

Franz