2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC001 January 2018 - Winner announced

recurrence: on occasion (if audio material is available)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC001 January 2018 - Winner announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Remix Challenge 001 - January 2018

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (theme, submission information, sponsors) and start of the voting process. There will be no Round 2

<add-on text be here>

Please take note of the following
  • IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention for your productions: RMXC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName.wav/mp3

Also please take note of the following
  • We're desperately looking for new source material for future competitions (Mix Challenge, Mastering Challenge, Remix Challenge). Please follow our official campaign. No new tracks mean no more challenges! Please reach out!
  • Social Media accounts can be found via the handles @MixChallenge (Twitter) and MixChallenge (Facebook). Please spread the word!
  • if you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months, please consider supporting us. For example with a voluntary monthly donation (this will mainly cover server and social media maintenance fees). Some interesting bonus perks await you through either route, and donors get a special rank on the forum.

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information and Sponsors
Results of the Remix Challenge 001: Results of the Remix Challenge
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC001 January 2018 - Submissions until 24-01-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Monday, 01st January 2018 to Wednesday, 24th January 2018 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-01-2018, 11:59pm CET/GMT+1 (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

Song Provider: 7th Pyramid
Song Name and Length: Wood Hen (Original Mix), 3:54min
Song Information: 90 BPM / Signature: 4/4, Em (original pitch, Lofi version 2 semitones lower)
File Formats: WAV, 44kHz, 24bit / MIDI

Preview of the Song:
phpBB [media]

Alternative links:
Wood Hen (Clean Version), Soundcloud
Wood Hen (LoFi Version), Soundcloud

A word from the song provider:
7th Pyramid wrote:I've not included every sound from every track: instead, I chose the instruments that I think give this track its character. Crashes, sound effects like rain and vinyl noise, some pads and other auxiliary drums have not been included, with the purpose of letting you girls and guys experiment with a few things, adding your personal touch and taste to your remix.

There are three folders:
- "Drums" has a few one-shots and two loops, which in my version were processed. I provide the original just in case you want to get creative with them.

-"Melodic" has the bass, chords, melodies and arpeggios rendered in loops or blocks of beats so you can easily adjust them to the grid in your DAW.

-"MIDIs" has the MIDI versions from some of the Melodic instruments.

The synths I used for this track are U-he ACE for the bass, and then Synthmaster and Hybrid 3 for the rest of the sounds, with the piano and EP taken from Xpand!2. As you see, these are really generic synthesizers, as the character of each sound was achieved using saturation (SDDR mostly, and also Softube Saturation Knob), compression (MJUC) and reverbs/delays (TAL stuff mostly, a few convolution impulses from classic reverbs). So feel free to use whatever you need to get your mix as characterful as you want.

I won't restrict the challenge to any range of genres but I prefer seeing these ideas morphed as something dark/chill/deep, like melodic DnB, Chillstep, Deep House, Indie Rock, Electronic, Experimental... I don't think it would fit very well a happy Electro or EDM track, but if you try I'll be very happy to hear your creation :D

I have two mixdowns to show, the first is the clean one and from where this material was derived. In the files, it's called Mixdown (Clean). The second one is my final mixdown (and premaster), with a Lo-Fi treatment which you may find interesting to apply in your own tracks too. In the files, it's called Mixdown (LoFi).

Please also consult the TXT files that are bundled in the source files package below.

Special Add-On Rules:
  • Create a remix based upon the provided files
  • At bar minimum, you must use at least one provided sample / loop / instrument from the source production, and if present, the vocals
  • You can use whatever is at your disposal (samples, virtual instruments and/or real instruments)
  • creating your own sounds is highly encouraged, but not mandatory
  • It is recommended to not go higher than -14LUFS SLk (avg) or K-12v1 (avg) in terms of perceived loudness

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Files:

Main Mix Package - Mirror on the Mix Challenge Homepage (63,33 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)
Main Mix Package - Mirror on the Mix Challenge Homepage (55,54 MB, LZMA compressed, 7z)

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression.
File size extracted: 79,46 MB, packed 63,33 MB (ZIP, LZMA)
In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs:

Macintosh:
The Unarchiver - get it here
Keka (open source) - get it here

Windows:
7zip - Installation / Portable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Remix Challenge - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Songwriting Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

Rekkerd Sounds is kind enough give away 1 sound set of winners choice (exception: Krezie EDM and Neurofunk Vol. 1)
License will turn into NFR
More info on Rekkerd Sounds: http://sounds.rekkerd.org/

Bjulin Waves is kind enough to donate 1 sound set of winners choice and one "Inspire Me" sound set of choice for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place
More info on Bjulin Waves: http://bjulin.de/

Ghostwave Audio (Vincent Bastiat) is kind enough to donate any 2 sound sets to the winner
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

kv331 audio is kind enough give away a bundle of either SynthMaster 1+2 Bundle, or a freely selectable set of 3 SynthMaster Expansions (donations until Spring 2018)
License will not turn into NFR, you need to have a kv311 audio user account in order to pick up Expansions
More info on kv331 audio: https://www.kv331audio.com

Luftrum is kind enough give away either a license of Lunaris, or any 2 sound sets of winner's choice (exception: Bundles and Nano Electronics)
More info on Luftrum: http://www.luftrum.com

Sound / Graphic Designer, and honorary Mix Challenge staff satYatunes is donating one commercial product of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info on satYatune's page: http://www.satyatunes.com/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on instruments, samples and sound sets), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Dodgingrain

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC001 January 2018 - Submissions until 24-01-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Dodgingrain »

Nice tune. Remixes are tough for me and I need the practice. Looking forward to working on it.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

If you're having trouble extracting the source material, please don't hesitate to send me a PM and I take a closer look at the issue.

Thanks in advance
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A short update on the license sponsors:

Due to an unexpected occasion, I sadly have to withdraw Impact Soundworks' license donations for the time being. I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience and work on a solution/an alternative ASAP.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production
Arthur Labus

Post by Arthur Labus »

Rollin'. Count on me.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 24 hours left to submit your production

If you've been sitting on the fence - now is the time to submit your entry
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Hi all ,

First of all very inspiring music :tu: i usually make a remix for songs but this is my first time to remix for piece of music only . hope to like it
after some time listening i decided to make like a second view or line of your music thoughts can't get rid of everything like i normally do when i remixing in songs and keep just vocals . so i keep chords coz it's like the main guide to me and starting from there.

Wav : Wave file download link here
Mp3 : Mp3 file download link here

Cheers !
Last edited by Waleed Morris on Mon Jun 24, 2019 16:58 CEST, edited 1 time in total.