2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC003 September 2019 - Winner announced

recurrence: on occasion (if audio material is available)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC003 September 2019 - Winner announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Remix Challenge 003 - September 2019

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (theme, submission information, sponsors) and start of the voting process. There will be no Round 2

Hello and welcome back! It's been a while since the last Remix Challenge.

A little bit of backstory to this month's game: Mix Challenge 056 introduced some mixes that were more on the lines of "remixes" than regular mixing jobs. Since these ideas were quite interesting, song provider Chris Wilson decided to offer the track "Ghost Limb" once more for a Remix Challenge. More details below.

Please take note of the following
  • IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention (Contestant Name = Forum Username):
    • RMXC000__ArtistName__TrackName__ContestantName.wav
    • Example: RMXC003__BATBI__Ghost_Limb__<forum_username>.wav
  • If you only post a SoundCloud link, please name the file properly before uploading and make your song downloadable

Also please take note of the following
  • We're desperately looking for new source material for future competitions. Please follow our official campaign. Your only investment is time in turn for a free mix by our very talented participants. No new tracks mean no more challenges! Please reach out!
  • Social Media accounts can be found via the handles @MixChallenge (Twitter) and MixChallenge (Facebook). Please spread the word!
  • if you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months, please consider supporting us.

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information and Sponsors
Results of the Remix Challenge 003: Results of the Remix Challenge
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC003 September 2019 - Submissions until 15-10-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Sunday, 01st September 2019 to Sunday, 15th October 2019 (45 days)

Challenge submission will end on 15-10-2018, 11:59pm CEST/GMT+2 (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

Song Provider: Chris Wilson / Balaban And The Bald Illeagles
Song Name and Length: Ghost Limb, 2:58min
Song Information: 90 BPM (approx., no click) / Signature: 4/4, Key of B min
File Formats: WAV, 48kHz, 24bit / MIDI

ORIGINAL GENRE: (Acoustic) Rock
DESIRED GENRE: Rock/Soundtrack Hybrid

Preview of the Song:

A word from the song provider:
Chris Wilson wrote:The song was recently used for the July 2019 mix challenge but it became apparent in the entries that many people have wanted to add to the piece which goes against the rules of the challenge... but not here!

You may choose the style in which you wish to remix it, but I do have a desired choice which would be as soundtrack style piece, (I’m thinking orchestral sounds making the band a lot more grandiose than it currently is). The songs content is melancholic in B minor so do bare this in mind when constructing the piece and/or your choice of style; I doubt a EDM dance track for example is going to be appropriate.

All the original raw recorded material (all 24 bit/48khz audio) from the recording is provided here, please free feel to use/edit/sample/discard what you would like BUT the vocals and piano MUST be used (but not necessarily in their current order and form).

There are tuned and untuned versions of the vocals for you to decide from. The main issue you will face is that the band did not record to a click so the tempo is not rigid (and timing errors are present). It is up to yourself if you wish to follow this/time edit or totally start again and build/replace the parts from samples and loops.

A lyric sheet and chord progression is provided to aid with this.

Please also consult the TXT files that are bundled in the source files package below.

Special Add-On Rules:
  • Create a remix based upon the provided files - desired genre: Rock/Soundtrack Hybrid
  • At bar minimum, you must use at least one provided sample / loop / instrument from the source production (preferably the Piano), and if present, the vocals
  • You can use whatever is at your disposal (samples, virtual instruments and/or real instruments)
  • creating your own sounds is highly encouraged, but not mandatory
  • It is recommended to not go higher than -14LUFS SLk (avg) or K-12v1 (avg) in terms of perceived loudness
  • the source material has been provided in 48kHz/24bit, please provide a mix in the same format

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Files:

Main Mix Package - Mirror on the Mix Challenge Homepage (335,92 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression.
File size extracted: 812,53 MB, packed 335,92 MB (ZIP, LZMA)
In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs:

Macintosh:
The Unarchiver - get it here
Keka (open source) - get it here

Windows:
7zip - Installation / Portable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Remix Challenge - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Remix Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

MuTools is kind enough give away one license of MUX Modular 7 of winner's choice
License will turn into NFR
More info on MuTools: http://www.mutools.com/

JRR Sounds is kind enough give away any-1 sound sets or sample set of winner's choice (exception: Bundles)
More info on JRR Sounds: https://www.jrrshop.com/jrr-sounds

kv331 audio is kind enough give away a bundle of either SynthMaster 1+2 Bundle, or a freely selectable set of 3 SynthMaster Expansions
License will not turn into NFR, you need to have a kv311 audio user account in order to pick up Expansions
More info on kv331 audio: https://www.kv331audio.com

Tone2 is kind enough to donate a license of Saurus2 to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

Ghostwave Audio (Vincent Bastiat) is kind enough to donate any 2 sound sets to the winner
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com

Luftrum is kind enough give away either a license of Lunaris, or any 2 sound sets of winner's choice (exception: Bundles and Nano Electronics)
More info on Luftrum: http://www.luftrum.com

Rekkerd Sounds is kind enough give away 1 sound set of winners choice (exception: Krezie EDM and Neurofunk Vol. 1)
More info on Rekkerd Sounds: http://sounds.rekkerd.org/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on instruments, samples and sound sets), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
The Exponent

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC003 September 2019 - Submissions until 15-10-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by The Exponent »

Is the desired genre a criteria for voting?
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

No it isn't, but make sure it's appropriate to the song.
jpachoulli

Post by jpachoulli »

I've looked everywhere I can think of...do we post the link for our submissions here? I can't find anywhere else to paste a link to my submission. Here goes nothing...

https://soundcloud.com/the-rain-king/rm ... jpachoulli

Nevermind...I see it's been put on hold...
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

jpachoulli wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 CEST
I've looked everywhere I can think of...do we post the link for our submissions here? I can't find anywhere else to paste a link to my submission. Here goes nothing...

https://soundcloud.com/the-rain-king/rm ... jpachoulli
Yes we do, could you upload a copy via cloud sharing if possible? It would be better than via soundclousd. If not no worries.

IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention (Contestant Name = Forum Username):
RMXC000__ArtistName__TrackName__ContestantName.wav
Example: RMXC003__BATBI__Ghost_Limb__<forum_username>.wav
jpachoulli

Post by jpachoulli »

Chriswilson83 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 19:56 CEST
Yes we do, could you upload a copy via cloud sharing if possible? It would be better than via soundclousd. If not no worries.
When you say, "cloud" could you please be more specific? I made sure to designate my file as downloadable, and have checked it accordingly. Is there another site to which you're referring?
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

By cloud, I mean services like Google drive, Dropbox etc. The problem with Soundcloud is its MP3 playback quality so I wouldn't have full fidelity quality. If that's all you can upload it too though it'll do.

Chris
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

jpachoulli wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 20:30 CEST
Chriswilson83 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 19:56 CEST
When you say, "cloud" could you please be more specific? I made sure to designate my file as downloadable, and have checked it accordingly. Is there another site to which you're referring?

Actually, the file is only downloadable if you have a SoundCloud account.
Please get acquainted with the Rules and Guidelines of the RMXC, most notably with the following paragraphs:
Rules and Guidelines wrote: UPLOADING GUIDELINES:
  • you can upload to wherever you like (DropBox, Google Drive, SoundCloud, etc)
  • entries must be available for at least 40 days (the free accounts of WeTransfer and Hightail only allow accessibility up to 7 days)
  • edits must be easily available to download without the need of any special login (SoundCloud especially), download tools (EXE installers) or various captcha requests
jpachoulli

Post by jpachoulli »

My apologies,

I did read the rules. The hiccup came because I was unaware of the downloading restrictions as I only stream via SC. Again, my apologies...

I've since re-uploaded my submission to my Dropbox account. I've re-read the rules again. I've read other posts where folks have submitted screenshots to show their workflow, processing, etc. I didn't see any requirements for that so, subsequently, I didn't prepare any. Should I have?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovuqeseprv34i ... I.wav?dl=0