2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC03 November 2017 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC03 November 2017 - Voting until 01-12-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

kc23 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 23:50 CET
Well, definetly was envisioning some japanese animation! guess that is where the little MacrossPluss bit came from! And surely, needs a lot of work. As i said, one of these days I´ll post my do-overs, already started with them! About the compression... I think maybe it has to do with the kick layering... just checked the project and there wasn´t much compression. To be honest, I actually kind of like that there´s not much dinamics... it just pushes through no matter what--- kind of like that x-men Juggernaut hehe! But yeah, it´may be overdone.
The thing that I noticed with looking at the waveform, and the readouts of the meter (only you can confirm this):
- Loudness Range of 1LU means "not much movement" in terms of dynamic
- the -4,8dBFS max peak throws me off. As if the track was heavily limited, then pushed down again in terms of loudness

It could be the sound sources you chose that results in barely any dynamic movement. But the "pumping" and "breaking apart" (as if the instruments glitch out somehow) is what concerns me. And this is where you should look into. I liked the concept, but this was throwing me off.

"Anime" wise, I wouldn't have envisioned this in Macross Plus - I think nobody can hold a candle to "Sharon Apple" (well - Yoko Kanno and her collaborators in this case). But definitely in modern RPG/MMO based stories (Sword Art Online and similar comes to mind).
FixInTheMix

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC03 November 2017 - Results, Winners announced

Post by FixInTheMix »

Hey, just wanted to say that I´ll take the Super Audio Cart from Impact Soundworks, see you all in the next challenge :tu:
erictracks

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC03 November 2017 - Voting until 01-12-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by erictracks »

kc23 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 23:50 CET
Don´t forget Chris Squire and The Who. :cool:
I'm always listening to Fish Out of Water. I think it informs pretty much everything I do. :tu: