SONGWRITING COMPETITION - Collaboration requests / General WIP Feedback

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - Collaboration requests / General WIP Feedback

Post by Mister Fox » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:44 am

This pinned thread is a supplement to the monthly Songwriting Competition

You're stuck with your production for the current game and you're looking for a collaboration partner?
You've finished your creation, but are skeptical prior to an official release and want to gather some general feedback first?

Then you're at the right place...

This thread can go two ways:

On one end, there is the musician/sound designer/producer that is looking for feedback and/or help. On the other end, there are those that would love to help out with tips & tricks, playing an instrument, record some vocals, and/or generally just want to spread positivity.

This thread exists to spark this particular initiative. To push personal limits even further than before, and to lift some weight off of your shoulders from the anxiety of "not being good enough for a competition".

If you're new to this (read: you've never presented your work in public) - you're already winning (in my book) by reaching out.
So please, have fun in this thread. :phones:

MINIMAL GROUND RULES:
  • please be polite to each other
  • keep thread visitors updated about the status of your production
  • on that behalf, and if possible, edit the original links to your productions (and link back to them) rather than spamming new links
  • talking collaboration details can be handled via PM

FixInTheMix

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - Collaboration requests / General WIP Feedback

Post by FixInTheMix » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi
This month´s challenge is really hard for me, I just don´t understand the genre that much and just got stuck after making a basic drumbeat but I would like to participate at least as a colaborator for another contestant´s song so I am offering myself to anyone who is interested on any help/collaboration. I can record vocals, guitar and/or synths. Hit me up if you guys need or want help! :tu:

The Exponent

Post by The Exponent » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:31 am

Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:44 am
You've finished your creation, but are skeptical prior to an official release and want to gather some general feedback first?

Then you're at the right place...
I'm almost done with my track and would really appreciate some feedback on the mix to ensure I don't submit a track only to realize later that it got ruined due to poor mixing/mastering. Would it be possible to get some feedback on this?

https://soundcloud.com/theexponent/swc0 ... 05/s-HPltp

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by The Exponent on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 am

The Exponent wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:31 am
I'm almost done with my track and would really appreciate some feedback on the mix to ensure I don't submit a track only to realize later that it got ruined due to poor mixing/mastering. Would it be possible to get some feedback on this?

https://soundcloud.com/theexponent/desolation/s-AFHJs

Thanks in advance!
Later today when I'm home from work I will gladly give you my noob feedback if you want :cool:.

The Exponent

Post by The Exponent » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 am

TrojakEW wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 am
The Exponent wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:31 am

Thanks in advance!
Later today when I'm home from work I will gladly give you my noob feedback if you want :cool:.
You're one of the pros here when it comes to orchestral/epic music. I'd love your feedback! Here's the updated mix

TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm

The Exponent wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 am
You're one of the pros here when it comes to orchestral/epic music. I'd love your feedback!
That is not even funny :lol: .
----------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all this are just my suggestion what I would prefer.

Theme is simple but very nice with interesting intro and then with nice "weird" atmosphere in mid part of track 1:25 - 2:55 min. Last part is also interesting where you are trying to combine these two parts together but it feels crowded. Yes this happen to me often when I trying to do the same :). It have good epic cinematic feel even the most of instruments are synthesized. Maybe it is too Epic for this theme. :) That kick at 1:20 is distracting. If I were you I will remove it or maybe try it to replace with subtle sub hit or better kind of gentle sub whoosh. It will create better quieter transition between those two parts. Noise on this hit is too much for me.

Now to the sound. I think the track is drowned in reverb breaking the feel of stage. You have glued all instruments together too much. Sub freq 40Hz and bellow need to be lowered. Also you should decrease frequencies between 600 - 800Hz. Stage is there but as I said there is too much reverb. Some instruments moving from L to R channel too much. Sometimes static placement is better and it is also easier to tune mix and stage. You have true peak at 0dB that is too much even for CD master. Also some tiny DC offset L +0.001% and R +0.0002%. Nice track with different approach. I will not say more because I don't want to alter your view on theme and music. Different approach is what make music unique. Cool track. :tu: More rant during official voting/scoring. :P

The Exponent

Post by The Exponent » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:45 pm

TrojakEW wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm
Theme is simple but very nice with interesting intro and then with nice "weird" atmosphere in mid part of track 1:25 - 2:55 min. Last part is also interesting where you are trying to combine these two parts together but it feels crowded. Yes this happen to me often when I trying to do the same :). It have good epic cinematic feel even the most of instruments are synthesized. Maybe it is too Epic for this theme. :) That kick at 1:20 is distracting. If I were you I will remove it or maybe try it to replace with subtle sub hit or better kind of gentle sub whoosh. It will create better quieter transition between those two parts. Noise on this hit is too much for me.
That "kick" at 1:20 is the communication (the hello) being abruptly cut with the final kill switch being hit :face: Please do wait for my "narrative" similar to yours. It will make more sense and my "simple" theme might seem a tad more complex. But of course! it is no match for your mind-blowing and complex theme & production :wink:

Oh and maybe your own track is not epic enough? Thought about that? ;) Just Kidding :hihi:
Now to the sound. I think the track is drowned in reverb breaking the feel of stage. You have glued all instruments together too much. Sub freq 40Hz and bellow need to be lowered. Also you should decrease frequencies between 600 - 800Hz. Stage is there but as I said there is too much reverb. Some instruments moving from L to R channel too much. Sometimes static placement is better and it is also easier to tune mix and stage.
I have nothing moving from L to R except for that 1 LFO based PAD during transitions.
You have true peak at 0dB that is too much even for CD master. Also some tiny DC offset L +0.001% and R +0.0002%.
Not sure how that's possible since my limiter is set to limit to -1 dB. Also I don't know how to get rid of DC offset and how that impacts music. I will read up on it. Thanks for that analysis. What tools do you use for this BTW?
Nice track with different approach. I will not say more because I don't want to alter your view on theme and music. Different approach is what make music unique. Cool track. :tu:
Oh don't worry, you can't alter my view on anything :D Your opinion is after all, your opinion.
More rant during official voting/scoring. :P
Ofcourse! Rants will definitely follow in the official voting/scoring, you can surely rest assured cause even I have a lot to comment on yours, in a similar way :wink: I'm glad you gave feedback.

Thanks and much appreciated! :hug:

TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:24 pm

The Exponent wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:45 pm
Not sure how that's possible since my limiter is set to limit to -1 dB. Also I don't know how to get rid of DC offset and how that impacts music. I will read up on it. Thanks for that analysis. What tools do you use for this BTW?
Well not all limiters can do true peak limiting. Even if they can on busy mix all tend to bleed above your settings ofc based on all limiter settings. So you can set the limit even lover or add another limiter behind as another "shield" for max loudness. Maybe somebody more skilled should help us here :help: .

Rergarding DC offset. It will not impact music at all. It just that a sound that has DC offset will not be at its loudest possible volume when normalized.

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 am

The DC offset has influence on bass and phase. At 0,001%, it's a non issue though.

Regarding "True Peak" limiters, I don't know which one you used, but this old list might give you an insight:
https://www.saintpid.se/en/isp-true-peak-limiters-test/

Also - not every "True Peak Limiter" does True Peak limiting. You can use True Peak limiting all you want, if your RMS value is at/higher -6dB RMS avg, even -1dBTP gets overshots. Plus, MP3/MP4 encoding does mess with your settings even more (MP3 needs a headroom of -1dBTP already starting at -8dB RMS avg, it's a CODEC thing). If you upload to SoundCloud, you have no control over that either.

If you really want to go "loud" (which I do not recommend), there is one limiter that is brutal on that behalf (and limits no matter what, but you need it's 3-4 stage handling): VladG Limiter No6, or it's successor TDL Limiter6.

toadhjo

Post by toadhjo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:41 am

Could I also get some feedback? I feel like I could spend all day twisting knobs only to end up making things worse.

https://soundcloud.com/henryjolsen/they ... st/s-mJuCY

The track has three major sections. I'm most unhappy with the middle section (the one that comes in after the piano). It sounds muddy. Maybe I'm trying to pack too much ominous noise in there? Maybe the bass is too much? Maybe the instrumentation is poor? :shrug:

I'm sure the other parts have issues too. This is my first time trying to compose epic music so I'm sure there are issues in all phases (composition, instrumentation, mixing, and so on). But if anyone could give me a few tidbits of advice I would greatly appreciate it! :hail:
Last edited by toadhjo on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.