2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC06 February 2018 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Beeble

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC06 February 2018 - Voting until 01-03-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Beeble »

Not easy to rate which song is better when they are in different genres.

donkey tugger-Loosing Grip:
This song reminds me of a late 70th Bowie. Could even be a soundtrack for some film noir.
Comes in with a nice intro and a nice build up to calm down again. I like this arangement.
Maybe the ending is a bit abrupt.
The guitar sound, the verbs and delays fits perfect to the vibe of the song.
The Vocals could be a bit more upfront, just my taste.
For I don´t like plastic drums (I use them too but prefer real drums when possible) I can live with your drums.
Some vintage drums samples could have fit better for me. But this is just a kind of taste.
The quality of the mix has less influence for me in a SWC. There is a lot of low end, to much for me on this kind of music or better to say
the mix is to modern for this retro feel. -real nice work!

kc23-blue and the star:
Yes, it comes in without warning. Needs some seconds to realise whats going on.
Love you guitar and your spanish vocals sounds nice and interesting. I´m sorry to criticize your drums. These power drums are much to busy and seems
without concept. The bass and the drums don´t play together and it sounds like a drummer on drugs playing some wild stuff without listenig to the music.
The drums are also destroying your real nice guitar solo. The drums are the only thing I cant´t agree with ;-)
You did a real nice job! And albeit the mix has no influence for me in a SWC I would say it´s fine with that "Zappa like" vintage touch.

I realy don´t like to rate you but there is only one 10

donkey tugger- 10
kc23 - 9
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC06 February 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 06

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. donkey tugger
  2. kc23
  3. beeble
Everyone voted, no ties, <4 participant rule taking place
We have no disqualifications

kc23 and beeble were tied, however according to the Rules and Guidelines, kc23 ultimately made 2nd place due to having one 10pt vote

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. The top three spots can select from the available price pool. First place has the first pick, then second place from what is left, then the third place. Selecting licenses is handled in public, please. After that, please get in touch with me (via PM) with your contact data. In case of the "Bjulin Waves" sponsorship - the winners podium can additionally select one "Inspire Me" package on top of the license selection (please mention that in the PM).

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line. Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here). Please take note of a proposed rule change for SWC07 in the very same thread.

See you in in the next Challenge!
donkey tugger

Post by donkey tugger »

I think the new rule (about the prizes) is a good one -stops it being a bit like one of those school sports days where, 'everyone's a winner". In the spirit of it in advance (and not to try the patience of the sponsors) I'll pass this time on claiming.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The new rule will apply with SWC007 and ongoing. But no problem if you want to pass for this round.

In this case, up next would be kc23.
Tbase2000

Post by Tbase2000 »

Now that it's over...has anyone compared my mix vs the submission we did this month? Is there anything better about the second mix? Same song different mix.
kc23

Post by kc23 »

Hi

Sorry for the delay.

I did listen to both mixes (not the landr master) of "Tell me why"... I think I commented something about it in my feedback... Anyway, just listened again and I still thought both had some kind of bass vs kick thing... I think the first mix could use a little sublow "control"... what I hear is that the bass riff has less sublow "resonance" than the other parts, in which it is always "booming" a bit just below where the riff was... and the second mix had sort of the same but more in the midlows, although the kick´s sublow is wider... which overall makes it a little bit... cloudy...(?)...

Also, the second mix has a more "smiley face" eq than the first one, could have used more snare or overall "meat" in that area I think... the first mix is a little more mid oriented, nice snare! but didn´t liked the lowmids of the guitars too much.

So there.

BTW, thanks to all for the feedback. Never though about the beginning, will try your suggestions and see. Still having some problems with my mixing, especially the low mids as Mr.Fox noticed, and have to get a better balancing of the bass... but seems to be imporoving (I hope).

Finally, I think Hornet plugins are awesome, so I´ll take this chance to get Graffio.
(Just saw today they´re having a 50% off sale if it is of anyone´s interest)

Bye!
Tbase2000

Post by Tbase2000 »

That's cool. Thanks KC23. I just uploaded my last mix today before I saw your comments. I think some of what you mentioned I also addressed in my mix today. Fresh ears and a week away perspective. We should go back and remix our stuff after the critiques anyway... Post up your new mix. There's only 3 songs to listen to...not that difficult to give feedback on a new mix. Better, worse, perfect.
Beeble

Post by Beeble »

The Luftrum Lunaris is my choice.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

As per the Rules and Guidelines:
Rules and General Information for winning goods wrote:
  • the license winner then has to get in touch with the admin of the forum (that is Mister Fox)
  • please provide your contact information (name and mail address) and then either the company in question gets in touch with you directly, or the license handler (in this case, the forum admin)