2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC08 April 2018 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
donkey tugger

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC08 April 2018 - Voting until 01-05-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by donkey tugger »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 02:39 CEST

This one is unexpected for me, as DT usually goes with a lot of modulation effects and synthetic additions to his guitar work. This time around, it's mostly driven by acoustic guitars and sparse synthetic instruments. Definitely refreshing. The production itself sounds very... very American (instrumentation and chord progression wise), but I just can't put my finger on it what this reminds me off. Maybe some U2 influences?

Technically, a lot can still be done. My main criticism is still the "honky" midrange filtered vocals (I know, you're still working on that :tu:) - although I like the switch between ambience-intended vocals and in-your face distortion. The overall mix could see a bit more cleanup as well (audio engineer speaking now). You used an interesting mix of deep frame drums (or toms) and some acoustic drums - but they sadly don't cut through the mix. The 12 string also sounds a bit too far in the back - as if you recorded in a not-ideal room. Pity - but the overall production counts (and it sure does).

I couldn't resist however to add some "broad mastering FX treatment" while listening to your track. I could make your track so much cleaner and more impactful this way. Want to check it out (zip file)

I've been doing quite a lot of acoustic stuff recently (having a couple of new guitars helps..) and can see what you mean about the 'American' sound (got that on another few tracks too, including one which is verging on the edge of being full on country.. :scared: ) On this I think it's got a bit of 60s folk influence, perhaps a bit of U2 as you say, and I was thinking a bit of Blur too - the key changes and distorted bits mainly.

On the other stuff- do take the point on the vocal. It's not a million miles away but still not the sound I want. Have therefore bought (yet another) new mic which I do like actually for once (some cheapo condenser which already sounds miles better than either the AKG, Samson, or Shure ones I've go. I shall experiment further.)

On the 'drums' (it's a kick drum from a kontakt library and the 'snare' is a sample of the guitar being slapped) I really didn't want to over egg them. Sometimes it's about just having more than anything a 'feel' of something in a track rather than having them full on in yer face with bombast (especially in something like this) and cutting through. I've always done a lot of that - putting in stuff which is a bit more subliminal in nature (too much My Bloody Valentine etc at a formative age..) The 12 string I recorded with both DI and mic (seem to remember) and it's a blend of the two. At some point I'll probably have a think about the relative balance of the three sets of acoustics, and may also re-record the Variax '12 string' electric parts with the new Electric 12 'Shitenbacker' (it's actually not bad...) I've just bought. Anyway..not bad for a quick job..

I had a listen to your master effects. Can see what you were getting at as a type of more 'radio' sound., and of course it's always less than ideal working on a full mix, but the treble really does come across as quite harsh in places, where I think the song needs to be quite 'warm' and more muted, closer to the folkie roots of it. Cheers anyhow.
Mister Natural

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC08 April 2018 - Voting until 01-05-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Natural »

thank you both for your feedback here
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

DT:
I take it by "treble" you mean the frequencies between 4kHz and 16kHz. Yeah, I might have overdone it with AirEQ on the "Air" filter part (which is basically a very wide high shelf EQ going into the 35kHz range), although I did it very subtle. Should have gone with a LPF instead maybe to balance out the harshness. But I wanted to clean up the upper mids, lift the veil a bit - as good as it was possible to me with this stereo mix down. But I understand the criticism about "should be more muted and less radio sounding" (as in - more tamed).

So I take it that all reviews/votes are in? Well, considering that all participants could only vote for each other, I'd take that as a yes.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC08 April 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 08

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. donkey tugger
  2. Mister Natural
Everyone voted, no ties, <4 participant rule not in use (staff comments and votes), "random number generator" used as additional "balance vote"
We have no disqualifications
"Sole (License) Winner" rule applies

I tried to make things super suspenseful, but the Random Number Generator didn't enjoy me spamming the "generate button" it seems. For transparency - I first created random numbers between values 1-2, 5 times per RNG seed. Then I repeated the with values between 5-10, but 3 times only. Both values were then summed and placed in the corresponding seed row. All 5 "seeds" were then summed horizontally, and the sum ultimately divided by the number "pie", and finally rounded down.

Took me 45minutes with a lot of random clicking and page reloading to keep things really random. I really hope I'll NEVER have to do that again.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Since the "Sole (License) Winner" rule applies, only the top spot can select something from the license pool. Selecting licenses is handled in public, please. After that, please get in touch with me (via PM) with your contact data. In case of the "Bjulin Waves" sponsorship - the winners podium can additionally select one "Inspire Me" package on top of the license selection (please mention that in the PM).

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line. Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next Challenge!