2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - What theme / genre would you like to see next?

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - What theme / genre would you like to see next?

Post by TrojakEW »

Exponent is right about EDM but what I will do if EDM will be next :lol:
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

TrojakEW wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:36 CET
Exponent is right about EDM
Personally, I myself have not made much Dance Music per se. But I do know for a fact that a lot of newer producers/artists like to make it and it might boost participation. But then, you might lose some participation from those musicians/artists who don't like Dance/Commercial Music much. So, I'm not really sure and I leave it to Mister Fox.
but what I will do if EDM will be next :lol:
You could always experiment, try something new and have some fun. There are so many EDM genres that you could always try doing an interesting fusion and surprise us.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

As mentioned in another thread, I basically got the next three SWC's planned - although I don't know which order for SWC021 and SWC022. I'm pretty sure however, that you folks will enjoy the next games.

EDIT:
Nevermind - I just found out I mixed up a certain date in May. Since I got that sorted out, SWC021 and SWC022 is pretty much set in stone now.
functionform

Post by functionform »

How about a punk round? This will accomplish two things. 1. It will make my wife marginally interested in me again since she goes crazy for punk, and, 2. I can pretend I have to buy a Fender in order to complete the challenge.

I would love a bossanova round, trip-hop, shoegaze - there's so much to do! Please never stop doing these!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The Exponent wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:52 CET
Across multiple groups/forums, I know and interact with folks who produce or rather want to produce "EDM". So if that is ever a genre/theme, I can personally try and get more participants for sure.
Here is the thing - "EDM" in itself is not a genre - it's a generic term (it stands for "Electronic Dance Music").

I am definitely not against tackling EDM (hypernym) again - and I already have a certain idea fitting to the current season. However, each and every person interprets EDM different. For some, EDM is "Classic/Minimal Techno", for others it's "Progressive House/Trance" or even "Anthem" (those 10min detuned saw pad breakdowns), for yet another person it is "Dubstep". These are all genres and sub-genres of EDM.

I'd definitely love to see more participants in the Songwriting Competition, and I do have a couple of "EDM genres" I want to tackle. But my main question right now would be: what genre would you folks like to see/tackle the most?

Please let me know until Thursday, 27th June about midday latest. Then I'll see what I can come up with.

Else... I'll already prepare something behind the scenes what I think might work, and maybe even gather traction. My biggest issue is always finding suitable audio examples, and writing a certain premise. Also - I always fear announcing a certain Theme/Genre and then seeing no participation (see "Fete de la Musique" - or "create some street music" from June 2018).

functionform wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 17:54 CEST
I would love a bossanova round, trip-hop, shoegaze - there's so much to do! Please never stop doing these!
Well - Trip-Hop (as in: 90s Trip-Hop) has been on my list for quite a while now. But we recently did Big-Beat, and I was aiming for the more aggressive side of that genre, yet the premise was not really met.

I do have a fairly long list of certain possible themes/genres though. However, finding a diverse balance and keeping everyone interested, is not easy.
Richard Watashi

Post by Richard Watashi »

Trip-Hop!
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

ollyaudio wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 01:02 CEST
I want to share an idea. Someone will provide a melody for the contest. Pianoforte, violin, flute .... It can be a short solo part or a long song. Contestants must write music. The soldering part can be cut, but it should sound completely in the track at least once.
I would love to see this, if it hasn't already been done here.

Some other ideas:
- Solo instrumental piece, featuring only that instrument + effects (delay, reverb, harmonizer, etc.). (example "Joshua Light Show" by Steve Stevens - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-sR9tGziSk)
- National anthem for a fictitious country (example, "Liberty" by Steve Vai - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fLkCVegXE)
- A modern song in simple "Sonata Form" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonata_form
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Some ideas:

Life in reverse
Genre - Psychedelia - include at least one reversed element or reversed sound in your composition

Fabulous foursome
Genre - Sixties - maximum of 4 musical parts as would have been possible to be performed by a 4 piece sixties band

One Voice
Genre - New Wave - all instruments restricted to playing in monophonic mode like the early synths

All Over The World
Genre - Stadium rock - guitar or keyboard based

The Saddest Song Ever Written
Genre - Country
functionform

Post by functionform »

All great ideas. I would combine the psychedelia and 60s band though. both are very era specific and two contests within a year wrt to the 60s might not get a lot of new faces.

I randomly thought today how cool it would be to do something like a Jamiroquai contest (jazzy/disco-y etc), although maybe that's just my brain reacting to the recent lo-fi hip hop genre swc launch.
functionform

Post by functionform »

Watching Cobra Kai, would love love love an 80s glam synth contest appropriate as a soundtrack for this show or the original Karate Kid.