SONGWRITING COMPETITION - What theme / genre would you like to see next?

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - What theme / genre would you like to see next?

Post by TrojakEW » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Exponent is right about EDM but what I will do if EDM will be next :lol:

The Exponent

Post by The Exponent » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:07 pm

TrojakEW wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:36 pm
Exponent is right about EDM
Personally, I myself have not made much Dance Music per se. But I do know for a fact that a lot of newer producers/artists like to make it and it might boost participation. But then, you might lose some participation from those musicians/artists who don't like Dance/Commercial Music much. So, I'm not really sure and I leave it to Mister Fox.
but what I will do if EDM will be next :lol:
You could always experiment, try something new and have some fun. There are so many EDM genres that you could always try doing an interesting fusion and surprise us.

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:15 pm

As mentioned in another thread, I basically got the next three SWC's planned - although I don't know which order for SWC021 and SWC022. I'm pretty sure however, that you folks will enjoy the next games.

EDIT:
Nevermind - I just found out I mixed up a certain date in May. Since I got that sorted out, SWC021 and SWC022 is pretty much set in stone now.

functionform

Post by functionform » Sat May 25, 2019 5:54 pm

How about a punk round? This will accomplish two things. 1. It will make my wife marginally interested in me again since she goes crazy for punk, and, 2. I can pretend I have to buy a Fender in order to complete the challenge.

I would love a bossanova round, trip-hop, shoegaze - there's so much to do! Please never stop doing these!

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:18 am

The Exponent wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:52 am
Across multiple groups/forums, I know and interact with folks who produce or rather want to produce "EDM". So if that is ever a genre/theme, I can personally try and get more participants for sure.
Here is the thing - "EDM" in itself is not a genre - it's a generic term (it stands for "Electronic Dance Music").

I am definitely not against tackling EDM (hypernym) again - and I already have a certain idea fitting to the current season. However, each and every person interprets EDM different. For some, EDM is "Classic/Minimal Techno", for others it's "Progressive House/Trance" or even "Anthem" (those 10min detuned saw pad breakdowns), for yet another person it is "Dubstep". These are all genres and sub-genres of EDM.

I'd definitely love to see more participants in the Songwriting Competition, and I do have a couple of "EDM genres" I want to tackle. But my main question right now would be: what genre would you folks like to see/tackle the most?

Please let me know until Thursday, 27th June about midday latest. Then I'll see what I can come up with.

Else... I'll already prepare something behind the scenes what I think might work, and maybe even gather traction. My biggest issue is always finding suitable audio examples, and writing a certain premise. Also - I always fear announcing a certain Theme/Genre and then seeing no participation (see "Fete de la Musique" - or "create some street music" from June 2018).

functionform wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:54 pm
I would love a bossanova round, trip-hop, shoegaze - there's so much to do! Please never stop doing these!
Well - Trip-Hop (as in: 90s Trip-Hop) has been on my list for quite a while now. But we recently did Big-Beat, and I was aiming for the more aggressive side of that genre, yet the premise was not really met.

I do have a fairly long list of certain possible themes/genres though. However, finding a diverse balance and keeping everyone interested, is not easy.

J I L L I A M

Post by J I L L I A M » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Trip-Hop!