2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC015 November 2018 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
GIANCARLO

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC015 November 2018 - Voting until 01-12-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by GIANCARLO »

Here´s my voting:

10-Ryan C-Fighting gravity
9-Intuition-Abandon
8-Donkey Tugger-Once upon a time in West Yorkshire
7-TrojakEW-Mortem Tua
6-SBV-The beginning
5-Mellow Browne-New borders

I really liked all the songs. Here are my comments:

Ryan C-Fighting Gravity: I can definitely hear this ballad in a metal album. Loved it. I felt it needed at least some distorted guitars in the chorus to get that "metal ballad" vibe and fullfill this month´s theme. Does metal need distorted guitars? No. So it´s just a suggestion; something I personally would like to hear in this song.
Intuition-Abandon: The most complete song in terms of parts, story and mixing. Everything´s clear, nice pacing and energy throughout the composition. I just felt it needed a guitar solo and maybe some background vocals to get the epic metal trophy.
Donkey Tugger-Once upon a time in West Yorkshire: Loved the first riff and the distorted vocals. The song structure didn´t work for me (too much intro-outro). That´s why it didn´t get more points. But I loved the general energy and mood of the composition.
TrojakEW-Mortem Tua: Sounds like Doom´s soundtrack! Really nice. I personally didn´t like the drums and panned guitars´ sound. They didn´t felt as organic as they should be for the (sub) genre. But -again- just a matter of taste.
SBV-The beginning: Great instrumental. Very well played guitars. But I felt it was more an exercise than a song. Nothing´s wrong with that. I like shredding instrumentals but I prefer metal songs with vocalists. Just a matter of taste.
Mellow Browne-New borders: I liked the overall composition. I would have change the sound of the metronome-like part and its rythm pattern to make it more attractive. Maybe a lead melodic part for the listener to follow through the song?

All the best,
GIANCARLO
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC015 November 2018 - Voting until 01-12-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
24 hours left to submit your feedback and vote.

If you didn't do that yet, please do so. It would be a shame to see you disqualified
ryanc

Post by ryanc »

This competition follows the same rules as Golf, right? Lowest score wins? :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

First of all, great effort by everybody, and I'm glad to see that we got a decent number of participants this month. I'm no Metal aficionado (as shown by my mellow pop-ish entry) but here are my votes and feedback:

10-Donkey Tugger-Once upon a time in West Yorkshire
9-Giancarlo- Eternal Blackness
8-TrojakEW-Mortem Tua
7-SBV-The beginning
6-Mellow Browne-New borders
5-Intuition-Abandon

Donkey Tugger:
This song has great guitar tone and the mix is very full - fitting for a heavy metal song. I also thing the tone of the vocals is great - grungy and dirty. My only suggestion is the intro runs a bit long and could maybe be shortened a bit.
Giancarlo:
Great song structure - it progresses well. I also feel this track is mixed very well. However, I feel that the vocals lacked a bit of energy and emotion. I know she can perform better, based on last month's entry, so I'm sure if you record a few more takes with her you'll find gold.
TrojaEW:
I love the guitar tone in this song - very rich and eighties-ish. I also love the choice of instrumentation; the choir and horns (what is that, french horns or something? near the end? I love it!) I feel this song should have run longer - maybe adding a bridge to switch things up, then another chorus.
SBV:
I really like the intro to this song, and the melody is great throughout - unpredictable and interesting. This mix reminds me of Transiberian Orchestra. I think the time signature is unique as well - is it written in 5/4? However, I feel this song runs a bit long for an instrumental and lacks a little more structure.
Mellow Browne:
You nailed the guitar tone on this song. It definitely fits the Metal vibe. The synths are well selected and mixed also. I love the drums as well - very interesting and captivating. I feel, however, this song either needs a more interesting chord progression or you need to add some vocals to fill the space and keep your audiences interest.
Intuition:
I like the structure and the overall composition of this song. It's a fun track that reminds me of R.E.M. a bit. I feel like it needs a little more work, though, as far as arrangement and instrumentation goes. The drum pattern is a little too repetitive and gets a bit irritating after awhile. Also, in my personal opinion, it's not bad to have the guitar follow the same melody as the vocals sometimes, but in this track you do it too much to where I felt myself losing interest. Great song, nonetheless. I think your songwriting is great, you just need to work on arranging it to sound more pleasant and interesting.

Again, great work everybody! Thanks for your invaluable feedback and good luck!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC015 November 2018 - Results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 02nd December 2018, 5:30am GMT+1/CET - the voting and feedback period has officially ended

Sadly, not everyone has given feedback and cast their vote. Therefore we have one disqualification (SBV).
I will be posting the official result ts later tonight (not an automated process!).

In the meantime, SWC016 is in full swing - please spread the word:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=186
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC015 November 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 14

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. donkey tugger (44 pts)
  2. TrojakEW (42 pts)
  3. GIANCARLO (41 pts)

We had no tie, <4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We sadly have one disqualifications (SBV, didn't cast his vote)
"Sole (License) Winner" rule applies

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Since the "Sole (License) Winner" rule applies, only the top spot can select something from the license pool. Selecting licenses is handled in public, please. After that, please get in touch with me (via PM) with your contact data and what license you picked. In case of the "Bjulin Waves" sponsorship - the winners podium (in case of MC015, the sole winner) can additionally select one "Inspire Me" package on top of the license selection (please mention that in the PM).

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Congratulations to the winner :clap:
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Congrats donkey tugger. :tu: I think your track was really best of the bunch overall and you deserve to win.

Interesting to see different taste of all participants and different aproach to voting. Voting based on radio playability was most amusing :lol: . I think every type of music have its place and purpose. I always trying to score based on overall production quality (balanced compostion, theme, mix and so on) and not get tangled with minor details while rest of track is excelent. Even I don't like style better production get more points and style is only decisive when two tracks are on same level.
donkey tugger

Post by donkey tugger »

TrojakEW wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:06 CET
Congrats donkey tugger. :tu: I think your track was really best of the bunch overall and you deserve to win.

Interesting to see different taste of all participants and different aproach to voting. Voting based on radio playability was most amusing :lol: . I think every type of music have its place and purpose. I always trying to score based on overall production quality (balanced compostion, theme, mix and so on) and not get tangled with minor details while rest of track is excelent. Even I don't like style better production get more points and style is only decisive when two tracks are on same level.
Good points, plus I think with metel, it's quite a broad genre, so you're always going to have different takes on it...

Anyhow, I'll take the MODO bass!
GIANCARLO

Post by GIANCARLO »

Congratulations Donkey Tugger! Great song.
Thanks to all the participants for the feedback. I´m taking notes for future productions.
"Incredibly cheesy synthy zombie metal". Intuition: you nailed it!
Also, can we have some feedback from Mister Fox? I know you´re busy but a few words could help.
All the best,
GIANCARLO
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

GIANCARLO wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 13:00 CET
Also, can we have some feedback from Mister Fox? I know you´re busy but a few words could help.
Maybe at a later state - I'm currently heavily under the weather and can not manage to stay at the PC for long