This thread covers the first part of this new challenge - collecting samples - which are then used in the actual Songwriting Competition in January 2019 (SWC17) as basis for every participant. Which also marks the biggest twist of this game - you're only allowed to use the provided samples to create music out of it.
How, is totally up to you. You can use sampling/re-sampling techniques, granular synthesis, wavetable synthesis, you can mangle the sounds with modulation techniques. As long as you only use what has been provided by the community in form of sound snippets and/or samples. Vocals can be added on top, but please no other sound sources for the time being.
You can read up more about this idea here:
Songwriting Competition - new game idea: Community Scramble
Image Source: ArtsyBee (background, via Pixabay), released under Creative Commons CC0
We're starting with the sample collection a bit early this year. However, in 2019 I'd like to run the sample collection from 1st December 2019 until 14th December 2019 (14 days). So please keep that in mind. In order for this endeavor to be successful, we need 10 entries with 2 samples per participant each in order to create a good "starter pack" (20 samples). But the more entries, the more variety to choose from.
Time Frame: Sunday, 25th November 2018 to Friday, 14th December 2018 (19 days)
Sample submission will end on 14-12-2018, 11:59pm CET/GMT+1 (Germany) - until further notice.
There will be no global countdown available. We do post reminders via our Newsletter, Twitter account and Facebook page.
Rules: The rules of the Songwriting Competition apply, with the main difference that you're not allowed to use any other sound source than the ones provided from this sample collection thread
How to submit sample content:
- each community member shall ideally provide no more than two (number: 2) self-created sounds
- This must not be from free sample packages, but created by yourself. This material can be synthetic in nature or a Foley type recording (please keep things appropriate!), anything from single stabs to loops
- the material must be in 44/24 WAV bar minimum, and 96/24 WAV absolute maximum
- the material shall ideally not reach higher than -1dBFS to prevent clipping
- IMPORTANT: bundle the following filled out TXT, which adds full credits to your work (download TXT)
- the samples and TXT must be packed in a ZIP or RAR, then uploaded to any file storage to your liking (recommended systems that store longer than 7 days: Google Drive, DropBox, etc)
- Link to the file in this thread, with some short info what you recorded (basically mirroring what has been written in the TXT)
From all these entries, 10 samples bar minimum and 20 samples absolute maximum will be selected to be a "starter bundle" for the SWC in question. If there is not enough material, or not of enough variety, the challenge will not happen. If there is too much, things will be trimmed down or used for future games of similar nature.
Once the material has been prepared, the game starts on time on 1st January 2019.
And that's about it!
Let's get creative!