2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC018 February 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Richard Watashi

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC018 February 2019 - Voting until 01-03-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Richard Watashi »

So, i took some time to add my two cents and here i go. I've been enjoying all entries, very good job everyone here has done. It was nice to listen and rank from what i liked most to downward. But i like all these entries and, i feel even unworthy to rank them. But here is my list:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

10 pts:
- TrojakEW feat. Tomas Szomju - Pit of Torment
In my opinion, this is the best entry this round. It's quite sofisticated, complexed... Very action and catchy. The vocals are top-notch, slightly sexy and, just beautiful. I really like this a lot.

9 pts:
- The Never Scene - Infernal Waste
It's REAL Rock music, This is a very cool track of a genre i love.

8 pts
- UprightJoe - Sky vs Sea
The nice bassline immediately risen my mood high. I'd only suggest to make some progression with the guitar tune.

7 pts
- The Exponent - What Are You Afraid Of?
A fine Trap track. I am bowing down befor you, because i tried to make some trap and it was faaaaaar from this quality.

6 pts
- Doctor Bob - FIght or Flight
Interesting track, really. If it was mine, i would though make it more guitar based and less orchestral. But it's just my taste, blah blah. An epic piece!

5 pts
- Leonard Bowman - Dueling_Dancing
It sounds a little bit like from a Final Fantasy fighting game, which isn't a bad thing.

4 pts
- M0onocqa - Clueless VGS Fighting Game
Sounds a bit like of more relaxed, more melodic autechre vibes to me, maybe. And, it is absolutely like from some older Street Fighter.

3 pts
- Olly Audio - It's Dawn
I like the semi-melancholic vibes

2 pts
- ontrackp - It's Not A Dream
As well as the other entries, it sounds professional to me. For sure, it would fit into a figting game. I imagine it is playing in the backgrund of a cutscene.

1pts
- Henry J. Olsen - Spar In The Bazaar feat. The Mo Vega Quartet
Also very solid job, Sounds like a music for a beginners guide/a tutorial of a game or, when you are shopping in a game.
ollyaudio

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC018 February 2019 - Voting until 01-03-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by ollyaudio »

10 pts The Exponent
9 pts Trojak
8 pts Clueless
7 pts The never Scene
6 pts Ontrackp
5 pts Andreas. Border
4 pts Doctor Bob
3 pts Upright Joe
2 pts Toadhjo
1 pts Pichard Clarke

The Expanent - The music is traced soundtrack.
Trojak -
This is a very dynamic game music.
Cluelless -
This is a beautiful harmony of sound.
The never Scene - It is suitable for the sound content of the game.
Ontrack -
An interesting composition.
Abdreas. Border - I am impressed with the drama of the work.
Upright Joe - This music is great for epic games.
Toadhjo -
An interesting look at the soundtracks.
Richard Clarke -
There is potential in this track. Good dynamics and dramaturgy.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Folks, we only have 13 entries. The three that are not in your personal top 10 deserve feedback as well. Feedback for everyone is mandatory still (unless changed in the rule set).

Please give your feedback about this here:
viewtopic.php?p=4104#p4104
Richard Watashi

Post by Richard Watashi »

Mister Fox, i can check it more and more but, i can see only 12 entries. I also accidentally overlooked Andreas Bollden - FInal FIght. I'm sorry, but can i edit the top list and put it there instead of another track?

Sure, i'm going to give a feedback for the tracks that didn't make it into my top ten, as well
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Well that was interesting.

J.I.L.L.I.A.M
The hats and upper frequency is sticking out a bit too much for my tastes, this takes me away from the melodic underlying sounds. I can see this a character section, picking the right fighter for the up coming opponent.

TheNeverScene
This seems to have all the required components for a game, it feels quite intense and draws you in nicely.

Doctorbob
This is an interesting take, with a lot of elements combining to create a sophisticated gaming scenario.

Ollyaudio
I'm not quite sure I see this as gaming music, very relaxing and thoughtful, the bass and strings are very soothing, maybe its a psychological attitude, not to be aggressive in your actions, to be relaxed and zenful.

Ontarckp
At first I thought it was a club classic track, then it bursts in with interesting sound combos.

TrojakCW
This is a very dark and aggressive style, the beat and mainly the snare let's it down on its flatness, maybe added noise/randomisation? Fits quite well into the scenario, vocals are interesting, but at the same time feel like they are forcing the issue that this is about fighting.

tadhjio
I'm liking this a lot, more on personal level than on a gaming one, headphone left side is something I can live with, could have possibly helped having a mono verb on the bass to create a more centralised sound without losing too much?

The Exponent

Dramatic start, with a good modern beat, its interesting. Overall its a a good mix, just not sure it quite fits, possibly a character selector track?

Upright Joe
Very warlike start, with a simple arp style of computer Games. The atmosphere and other elements come together nicely, tight mix that holds your attention. Another track with elements on the left, its just sometimes balance is lost when a similar component isn't included on the other side, even if its a lopassed version of the sound just to help?

Richard Clarke
I'm totally unsure about this piece, its got elements that are of a gaming nature, its not really something that draws me in.

Leonard Bowman
I'm unsure this lends itself to fighting music,has an epic feel to it and its elements fit together nicely.

Andreas Boliden
Dramatic, Scenic, has a lot of good things going on, there is a feeling of last battle round to it, I like what I hear, has a mystical edge to it.

10pts -Andreas Bollden
9pts - The NeverScene
8pts - Toadhjo
7pts - TrojakEW
6pts Doctorbob
5pts - Upright Joe
4pts - Leonard Bowman
3pts -Ollyaudio
2pts - Ontrackp
1pt - J.I.L.L.I.A.M

Thanks to all for an interesting insight into what people consider fight music.

:tu:
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Nvm
Last edited by Clueless on Tue Feb 26, 2019 17:15 CET, edited 1 time in total.
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

Clueless wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:42 CET
The Exponent

Dramatic start, with a good modern beat, its interesting. Overall its a a good mix, just not sure it quite fits, possibly a character selector track?
Very interesting perspective indeed that my track sounds nothing like a "Fighting Video Game Soundtrack"? You've left me quite clueless there :hihi: I do however appreciate your appreciation of my track otherwise. Good luck :tu:
Last edited by The Exponent on Tue Feb 26, 2019 13:28 CET, edited 2 times in total.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

The Exponent wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 CET
Clueless wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:42 CET
The Exponent

Very interesting perspective indeed that my track sounds nothing like a "Fighting Video Game Soundtrack". You've left me quite clueless there :hihi: I do however appreciate your appreciation of my track otherwise. Good luck :tu:
:) I'm clueless on so many levels, tbh, I was unsure how to judge this contest, as the indie game scene is not all about the big LOTR/GOF so I tried to put myself in the grand seat, itsjust I'm not comfortable making judgements and my technical lexicon is very limited, so I went for the more cliche option :D
Possibly the last part of that could get me in trouble ;)
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

Clueless wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:48 CET
:) I'm clueless on so many levels, tbh, I was unsure how to judge this contest, as the indie game scene is not all about the big LOTR/GOF so I tried to put myself in the grand seat, itsjust I'm not comfortable making judgements and my technical lexicon is very limited, so I went for the more cliche option :D
Possibly the last part of that could get me in trouble ;)
Not at all! You are entitled to your judgement on this contest or otherwise of course, irrespective of your background or experience. We're all part of this family now :hug:
DoctorBob

Post by DoctorBob »

Here's my review of the tracks and my vote at the end. All my own opinion of course.

dB

Jilliam - Stage7/Trapped Within the Total Recall-Reality

I found the hats a little too bright for my taste. The growly bass is very good but might have been helped with a bit more sidechaining from the kick. Has all the ingredients for a fight scene - perhaps a bigger ending might be nice.

The Never Scene - Infernal Waste

The intro is very good with a nice industrial feel and the use of the strings to introduce the tension is great leading to some epic guitar work. The percussion is very well played and holds the track together. The intense part at 2:17 is epic! Definitely a fighting track!

Richard Clarke - Fight!

A very heavy metal styled track. I find the crash cymbals don't hit as well as the kick and snare, and so the track loses impact. Nice to hear a progression in the dynamics and soundstage and therefore the fight scene. I wanted to hear more and even more intensity!

Olly Audio - Its Dawn

A very nicely played and produced track, super guitar and percussion. Not sure of the fighting elements? The introduction of the cello at 2:20 is very nice and works well with the higher register strings.

Ontrackp - It's Not a Dream

Great start and the opening voice and frantic movement is very ike a chase scene. Very good soundstage. A very good mixture of the orchestral and electric and synthetic sounds. The release of tension around 2:20 is great - but still retains the fight scene ... the resolution at 3:20 onwards to the end is perfect.

Andreas Bollden - Final Battle

Opening is great with a lot of tension applied by the bowed strings. The build to the end is great with the "helicopter" noise at the end setting the scene.

MOonocqa/Clueless - VGS Fighting Game

Interesting instrumentation. To me it doesn't have the rise and fall perhaps expected in a fighting game soundtrack? The "fall" when it comes doesn't quite cut it for me(sorry).

TrojakEW - Pit of Torment

Great use of voices really well mixed into the fighting framework. The imaging is very good on phones and speakers (well done!). Maybe a little more climax at the "game over" might have helped? But overall, a great track.

Henry J. Olsen - Spar in the Bazaar

Interesting take on the instrumentation. The sparring is not very intense though - but then, perhaps it does't have to be high energy? The background sounds really add a great atmosphere - nice tounh.

The Exponent - What are you Afraid of?

Good intro and build. There's definitely some combat going on ... the respite in the middle section is perhaps a little thin on the soundstage presentation. The second section could do with a little more energy and overall the bass is a bit lacking.

Upright Joe - Sky vs Sea

The introl is very nice with good percussion and that littl delayed "cry" is well placed. Overall to me the track doesn't progress much in terms of dynamics. [If you click through the track to random points there's little change in soundstage or dynamics - I did listen right through a number of times, in case you think I only clicked!] Some very nice guitar playing though (kudos!).

Leonard Bowman - Dueling, Dancing

An interesting concept - the oboe sound is very good (and nicely played). Good to hear the voices at 2:00. The percussion could do with being more upfront (IMO).

10pts. Ontrackp - It's Not a Dream
9pts. The Never Scene - Infernal Waste
8pts. TrojakEW - Pit of Torment
7pts. The Exponent - What are you Afraid of?
6pts. Andreas Bollden - Final Battle
5pts. Richard Clarke - Fight!
4pts. Leonard Bowman - Dueling, Dancing
3pts. Henry J. Olsen - Spar in the Bazaar
2pts. Jilliam - Stage7/Trapped Within the Total Recall-Reality
1pts. MOonocqa/Clueless - VGS Fighting Game