2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Richard Watashi

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Voting until 01-04-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Richard Watashi »

TrojakEW wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 08:35 CEST
I'm not a musician ... this I do not mean as a joke.
You are a musician :wink:
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Voting until 01-04-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by TrojakEW »

The Exponent wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 09:41 CEST
Of course, the sounds of nature are very soothing and relaxing.What I meant was, the sounds of nature can't suddenly make things positive. I was talking more about the transition from a "sad" and so-called "calming feel", to something positive and optimistic. The transition itself was poorly handled, is what I wanted to indicate.
Yup transition could be better I do agree. :oops:
The Exponent wrote:
Well, to be honest and fair, I'm actually a noob in all of this. I've only been doing this for 6-7 months from zero, so I'm far less experienced and skilled than almost everyone here.
:hail: :hail: Then you are genius. I will rather not say how long I'm bashing my keyboard. But to tell you the truth I'm bashing people and heavy/speed bags even longer and I'm still poor fighter. :lol: Time doesn't affects geniuses. :grin:
The Exponent wrote:
I'm neither a musician, nor do I possess technical prowess, so I said what I said in the most genuine way. My ears always find your mixes quite good, I was NOT being sarcastic there. There is however, some dissonance/clashing of sounds, but it's not due to your "mixing", but the composition itself. To me personally, a mix doesn't include the composition aspects/choices, but rather how you blend the sounds in the composition and make them work together to create a strong emotion/last effect on the listener. That's just my opinion for what it's worth.
Bad composition will also affect mix. Bad choice of instruments will lead to interference in frequency spectrum. Yes you can deal with it and mask but still better composition means also less problems. I'm just using my ears to create melody, chords (or how it is called :oops: ), mix and everything. No science and theory behind so this is reason why for me composition affect my mix beacuse I don't know what I'm I doing. :P
J I L L I A M wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 09:42 CEST
You are a musician :wink:
Not sure what to answer to this. If calling me musician is insult for real musician or vice versa. :lol:
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

mountaine wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 23:12 CEST
Clueless wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 22:06 CEST
Aghhh, ruddy Nora
I'm now wondering whether I should read more the ideas behind the pieces, I guess I'm learning lessons in this :)
No worries!

Yeah, there are many interesting aspects to the competition. These were my ideas, but if my music didn't speak to *you* in the same way as a listener, it might as well be down to my failure to communicate as a composer!

More to the point, though, there is no right or wrong way to be a listener. It is simply amazing to me to see how differently this small gang of people will listen to and interpret music.

And I have often found myself reacting to these feedback posts, desperately aching to put on my time-tested cloak of experience and expertise and go "hey, these statements are ludicrous!", both in terms of what people consider to work and what they might have a problem with (not really in regards to my own track, though - I've been mercifully spared from bile and/or ecstatic overreach!)

But I'd be wrong, because the objective standards I try to adhere to as a composer and a mixer don't apply when I subject my music to the world. Once I do, the listener is in full command of its destiny - my feelings as a composer/mixer/producer/middle-aged-know-it-all guy be damned.

Which is fine. And endlessly frustrating! :-D
As my names suggests I'm clueless, whish I was Groot, but I'm no marvel :)
Dr Dendrite

Post by Dr Dendrite »

TrojakEW wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 08:35 CEST
First I want to thank you all for all your opinions and now some responses. Don't worry to put critics on my track. No problem here no matter what words you use. Go on I can take it.
Dr Dendrite wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 21:56 CEST
From the list of software used I expected great things as those pretty much play themselves and is hard not to produce something that sounds fantastic (8dio and Heavyocity put a lot of hard work in those).
You don't need to tell me something that I already know. I'm not a musician and don't know anything about music. I'm just bashing the my keyboard - this I do not mean as a joke.
Dr Dendrite wrote:
But I found the melodies lacked creativity and some of the vocal parts were disjointed (1:20 and 2:29 for example).
Yup it is. No way to set sample offset for individual phrase in EVI. So there is no way to properly control legato in the way I wanted. Ethera need better scripting.
Dr Dendrite wrote:
You really depended on Clara’s vocal phrases almost entirely to carry this track but they clashed (sonically) with the cello at times (2:15 as one example).
No I don't. Track was prieviously pure instrumental. I added Ethera in the end last hour. Kind of cherry on the bad cake :lol:
Dr Dendrite wrote:
It did not speak “blackout” theme to me as was described in the thread intro: “Something that represents a more darker/brooding feeling”. It sounds like pretend Hollywood and It felt like an overreach into something wanabe grandiose.
Everybody have personal taste for balckout theme. I choose sad but calming feeling for after blackout but for "normal" state I choode more agrsessive almost indrustrial feel (intro). This is how I see it. No problem with your opinion.
Dr Dendrite wrote:
I thought you made a good mix but missed the high mark you set for yourself.
I already know I have long road ahead you don't need to tell me that. I didn't said that what I suggesting I can already make.
no need to get defensive, a close examination reveals these things, monitored visually with RX and audibly with 650HD's so make of it as you will. i usually don't critique because music is art and art is in the eye, but you seemed open to that sort of feedback.

BTW, if you like the Magnat 980 you should try the Lamborghini Huracan-V01, they'll take you for a ride.
Dr Dendrite

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Results in preparation

Post by Dr Dendrite »

actually, appologies TrojaKEW, I can see the words did not their intended effect and will refrain from useless derilement. i thought the track was good as the upper ranking i assigned to it reflects.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Dr Dendrite wrote:
Clueless_DarkDays
Strange intro, grabbed me right away, great sound design, metallic and dark, sounds mechanized and tribal, like the drum solo at 2:10, the complete silence followed by the slow bass roll was a nice change, 3:00 spooky eerie feeling here, 3:39 personal highlight of this track for me really like the timbre of that droning depressor.
High marks for following the theme and for your sound design (or preset choice, which ever)
I would go thru all my feedback really but thought I would just say a bit
The beat was made using Xoxos's engine and the majority of sounds were all hand rolled using Matt Tytel's excellent Helm, except the bass in the second section which comes from Xoxos's piamo, as it doesn't retain the sound when you open up the track for additional editing and I think this is the init sound which happened after I had reopened the track and it sounded better than the sound whicht I had spent quite a bit of time on, oh yes and samsara was also init with a bit of change. Not sure what or why this would interest anyone, just thought I'd add a little something :D
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Dr Dendrite wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 15:18 CEST
actually, appologies TrojaKEW, I can see the words did not their intended effect and will refrain from useless derilement. i thought the track was good as the upper ranking i assigned to it reflects.
Not sure why are you apologize. Maybe for this TrojaKEW? It should be TrojakEW :grin: Trojak is my last name and EW stands for East Way - that was/is name of "group" (kind of fight club :baytins: :grin: ).

Do you have Magnat 980 and also that Lamborghini (I was first thinking that you suggest me to buy a sport car :lol:) that you can compare them? I do not have good speakers because I don't have place where to put them. My room is small 2x2 meters that is bedroom, living room, workroom and in some sort gym when needed in one so I have to use headphones.
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

TrojakEW wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 15:52 CEST
Not sure why are you apologize. Maybe for this TrojaKEW? It should be TrojakEW :grin: Trojak is my last name and EW stands for East Way - that was/is name of "group" (kind of fight club :baytins: :grin: )
I will not want to pick up a fight with you in real life TrojakEW :hihi: You'll beat me up like a ragdoll :D
mountaine

Post by mountaine »

Clueless wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 13:52 CEST
mountaine wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 23:12 CEST
Clueless wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 22:06 CEST
Aghhh, ruddy Nora
I'm now wondering whether I should read more the ideas behind the pieces, I guess I'm learning lessons in this :)
No worries!

Yeah, there are many interesting aspects to the competition. These were my ideas, but if my music didn't speak to *you* in the same way as a listener, it might as well be down to my failure to communicate as a composer!

More to the point, though, there is no right or wrong way to be a listener. It is simply amazing to me to see how differently this small gang of people will listen to and interpret music.

And I have often found myself reacting to these feedback posts, desperately aching to put on my time-tested cloak of experience and expertise and go "hey, these statements are ludicrous!", both in terms of what people consider to work and what they might have a problem with (not really in regards to my own track, though - I've been mercifully spared from bile and/or ecstatic overreach!)

But I'd be wrong, because the objective standards I try to adhere to as a composer and a mixer don't apply when I subject my music to the world. Once I do, the listener is in full command of its destiny - my feelings as a composer/mixer/producer/middle-aged-know-it-all guy be damned.

Which is fine. And endlessly frustrating! :-D
As my names suggests I'm clueless, whish I was Groot, but I'm no marvel :)
I guess none of us are actually marvels... the harsh truth, haha! You're certainly not clueless - at least not judging by what I can tell from your music and your comments! :hihi:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 19

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. The Exponent (116 pts)
  2. TrojakEW (110 pts)
  3. J I L L I A M (83 pts)

Apologies for the late response, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have 1 disqualification
We have 4 users that tied (J I L L I A M and DoctorBob with 83 pts, and mountaine and toadhjo with 81 pts respectively)
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does not apply - 3-position Winners Podium

IMPORTANT: We had 4 tied results this month. 3rd place made J I L L I A M because he has 1x12 pts over 4th place holder DoctorBob, who has 0x12 pts in his results. 5th place made mountaine because he also had 1x12 pts but 0x11 pts, while toadhjo has 0x12 pts and 0x11 pts. Please consult the Rules and Guidelines regarding the vote system.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, mail address and your license selection. In case of the "Bjulin Waves/audile.shop" sponsorship - the winners podium can additionally select one "Inspire Me" package on top of the license selection (please mention that in the PM).

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!