2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Submissions until 24-03-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production.

Please do spread the word
Leonard Bowman

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Submissions until 24-03-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Leonard Bowman »

I think all that went into the last one, combined with this month's OSC being a little special, have some of us distracted. I'll see if I can pull through with my idea in time to submit it, but as always there are other things fighting for my attention and time.
NERVA

Post by NERVA »

If by “post it here” you mean in this forum thread, then here goes nothin.

https://soundcloud.com/user-318157254/nde

The recording software I used was Apple’s Garage Band (don’t laugh) It’s all I got. For the intro I composed a cinematic section using symphonic strings and a choir synth. The sample you hear is the voice of Tommy Lee Jones from the movie ‘No Country for Old Men’. Aside from the primative trance beat, I used an evolving motion pluck synth accompanied by an arpeggiated grid bass synth.

Apologies if this entry is not up to code. I’m no computer wiz.
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

ANTHEMIC wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 02:53 CET

The recording software I used was Apple’s Garage Band (don’t laugh) It’s all I got. For the intro I composed a cinematic section using symphonic strings and a choir synth. The sample you hear is the voice of Tommy Lee Jones from the movie ‘No Country for Old Men’. Aside from the primative trance beat, I used an evolving motion pluck synth accompanied by an arpeggiated grid bass synth.

This is actually pretty good. It starts quite beautifully, but not sure if I'm hearing 'epic' once the trance section starts. Great first entry nonetheless! Welcome to the SWC ANTHEMIC.
NERVA

Post by NERVA »

The Exponent wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 19:58 CET
ANTHEMIC wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 02:53 CET

This is actually pretty good. It starts quite beautifully, but not sure if I'm hearing 'epic' once the trance section starts. Great first entry nonetheless! Welcome to the SWC ANTHEMIC.
Thank you very much for the feedback, I agree that the beats portion of the song lacks the “epic” vibe. I still have much to learn.
mountaine

Post by mountaine »

Hey, another one taking the bait after reading about the competition on OSC forums (where I'm "schiing"). Here's my entry for this month's challenge: "Mountainé – Who Knew...?"

I have to admit, I found it very challenging to merge the blackout theme with "epic music" in the style of all the heroic music I found on YouTube with this tag. I am grateful that I discovered a new genre for my YouTube listening pleasures, though!

This is more of a soundscape with various field recordings where I do try to insert a feeling of "epicness," whatever that means to all of you.

Not a major work by any strech of the imagination, but I enjoyed the challenge and thought, hey, why not submit the thing, just for the sake of it? I enjoyed what I came up with :)

All music, programming and mixing by Mountainé.

All samples and environmental textures recorded by Mountainé.
Zoom H1: VW Touran 2018 door slam, night ambiance, vehicles, garage door, walking man
sE Electronics X1: Euro-American scientist, military commander, "PREPARING FOR SHUTDOWN"

Synthetics: Korg Wavestation EX, AiR Loom, Tunefish4

Direct download links:
http://thebytehop.com/music/SWC019_Moun ... 20Knew.wav
http://thebytehop.com/music/SWC019_Moun ... 20Knew.mp3
http://thebytehop.com/music/SWC019_Moun ... 0Knew.flac
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

First of all I want to welcome ANTHEMIC and also another KVR OSC participant mountaine also known as schiing on KVR. Welcome :tu: .

Now regarding theme for this round. There are many ways to interpret this in track. So story behind my attempt is World Restart. No matter how it happen but we end with world where no electronics can't work anymore - never ever. I want to show not just time after blackout but also how it was before and moment of the blackout. Track start with short intro that should represent our busy world full of disturbance, noise, rumble and so on. Then moment of blackout that lead to "small" confusion and fear of unknown. Theme end with silence or rather said with sound of nature that represent peace.

FL Studio 20.0.5

Instruments used (all kontakt):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8Dio Adagio Violas
8Dio Adagio Cello
8Dio Adagio Basses
8Dio Agitato Grandiose Sordino Strings
8Dio Agitato Grandiose Legato Viollins
8Dio Hybrid Tools 1
8Dio Hybrid Tools 3
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NI Symphony Series Brass Ensemble
NI Symphony Series Woodwinds Ensemble
NI Symphony Series Woodwinds Solo
Ethera EVI 2 (vocals)
Heavyocity Damage
Heavyocity Evolve Mutation 2
Heavyocity Natural Forces
Atlantica Evolution
Used Effects: - nothing just Ozone 8 on master and settings like mics, eq from libraries itself. Kind of mix challenge for myself.

DoctorBob

Post by DoctorBob »

My track, still WIP at the moment, also follows the narrative similar to others! Mine starts off with a lots of communication "noise" which finally give way to the loss/lack of electronic comms and into the music. The music has "epic" moments in it, some sections of respite, and finally the last section gives way to possible hope that all will be well in the end. We shall see …

dB
DoctorBob

Post by DoctorBob »

Ok. Here's my entry as I have little time to do much more. The track follows the narrative described above.

80 tracks mixed and mastered in REAPER v5.973

Vocals and sound fx are various samples and loops. Again, the instrumentation is mainly from the Vita series from Samplitude/Magix.

Compression on many channels thanks to Waves VComp and reverb from Valhalla Room. Izotope 8 elements on the master. Metering by SPAN and Youlean Loudness.

The Spanish and electric guitar parts are a nod to the great film score writer, John Williams.

Wav file can be found here in my public dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/wax6dhxwphz5t ... n.wav?dl=0

320k mp3 also in the dropbox here https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctzdu9qk3j16l ... n.mp3?dl=0

Sound cloud mp3 here (low res, of course)

I hope you enjoy listening to the journey.

dB
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

A hello and warm welcome from everyone taking a leap from the KVR Audio "One Synth Challenge". Please enjoy your stay, and use as many tools as you like. :tu: