2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC020 April 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Leonard Bowman

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC020 April 2019 - Submissions until 24-04-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Leonard Bowman »

I'm at that point where I don't want to work on this track anymore. That's good because I don't really have more time to spend on it.
I hope I did all of the things right. I'm pretty sure I named the file right, but I can change it if necessary.

Presenting: "Weapon of Choice"

This was a big step outside of my comfort zone and usual preferred genres. Listening to The Prodigy was really fun and intriguing; trying to make my own track was quite a challenge.

Tools:
REAPER & the ReaPlugs
Octarone Key Tuner
Vember Audio / Open Source Surge
Limiter No.6
Freeverb3 ProG
NuSpace Riviera
Xfer Records OTT
Voxengo SPAN
MeldaProductions MAnalyzer, MEqualizer
Airwindows distortion effects (assorted)

Samples:
Some of my personal collection of recordings
A crotale from the University of Iowa Musical Instrument Samples
A few pieces of the SampleRadar Domestic Appliances sample collection
Several Librivox recordings (Public Domain) including:
Three of Aesop's Fables
Stephen Crane's The Black Riders and Other Lines
Two Recordings of T. S. Eliot's "The Waste Land"
"Tender Buttons" by Gertrude Stein
Thought Energy, Brain Clutter, and Hornet, by Fature. These are released under a CC-BY license. Parts of the track (the opening drum beats) were sliced, re-arranged, and looped in certain parts of my track.

"Weapon of Choice" is released under a CC-BY license. If you want to use it in your own media, please attribute it to Benjamin Davis. And feel free to let me know! Sharing is caring.

EDITS: more licensing details.
Last edited by Leonard Bowman on Mon Apr 22, 2019 21:21 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
toadhjo

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC020 April 2019 - Submissions until 24-04-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by toadhjo »

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I got through my "emo" moment and finished my track. I'm gonna fine tune it a bit more and then post it before the deadline.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

We're in the last 3 days, everyone. I'm curious how many interesting entries we'll be getting this month.
minuskx

Post by minuskx »

Last minute entry. I had something made a long while ago but decided to scrap it, now I wonder if I regret that decision or not...
Was up till 4 AM yesterday trying to cook this up in time.

I dunno if I can still modify this if I end up having more time to work on it?

Made with FLStudio 20.
External VSTs: Synth1, Muon Tau2, EFM P-600 II and TAL Bassline.
Sample Packs: Jungle Warfare 1 and 3.

Last edited by minuskx on Tue Apr 23, 2019 23:16 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
Leonard Bowman

Post by Leonard Bowman »

You aren't supposed to modify your entry after you submit it, but your link is broken in some way or another, so we wouldn't know if you've changed your entry or not.
So by all means, tweak it if you have time, just fix the link when you are ready. (i'm guessing you had it as a private track and didn't add the code to share it...)
EDIT: you fixed ithe link. Best of luck!
Last edited by Leonard Bowman on Wed Apr 24, 2019 00:09 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
minuskx

Post by minuskx »

Yeah what happened was I realized today wasn't the 24th lol. I updated the post with the fixed link, sorry about that.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder
We're in the final 24 hours of submitting your production
toadhjo

Post by toadhjo »

Here we go. I'm calling this one Sharper Knife.

I wanted to combine the raw energy of Music for the Jilted Generation with the lush instrumentation of The Fat of the Land. That's a high order, especially considering that I'm no Keith Flint, but I did what I could.

All the vocals are me. I'm not Keith Flint but my voice with have to do. Lots of effects (TSE 808 sounds great on vocals) but no autotune! The instruments are mostly Native Instruments stuff.

Links and full VST loadout below.

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=156P1E ... Hpl5_yC5k1
FLAC: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18op1V ... hI2VDWJxiQ

DAW: Reaper

Vocals recorded with an Audio Technica AT2035

Virtual Instruments:
Absynth 5
Battery 4
Massive
Mono/Fury
LABS Drums
Xpand!2

Effect VSTs and JSFX:
Apple 2-Pole Lowpass Filter (JSFX)
Blackhole
Frequency Shifter
IVGI2
iZotope Vinyl
Leet Delay 2 (JSFX)
Loudmax
MIDI Pitch Wheel LFO (JSFX)
Moog 4-Pole Filter (JSFX)
Pitch an Octave Up (JSFX)
ReaDelay
ReaEQ
ReaComp
ReaVerb
Regrader
Resonant Lowpass Filter (JSFX)
Roth-AIR
Saturation (JSFX)
Supercharger
TAL Reverb 4
TSE 808 v2.0
XenoVerb

Mastering Chain:
ReaComp
Saturation (JSFX)
Limiter No6
ReaEQ
LoudMax
Voxengo SPAN
Youlean Loudness Meter

Sample:
Scratching Noises
Shiftdelete

Post by Shiftdelete »

Oi dudes.

Here's my entry.

Made with Renoise, Sylenth1, oldschool breakbeats, VST Speek, TAL Vocoder and some creative sampling.

Last edited by Shiftdelete on Wed Apr 24, 2019 22:18 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
donkey tugger

Post by donkey tugger »

Ah, the Big Beat, I remember tha days well (some of them anyway.... :hihi: ) - dancing around with pints of lager spilling most of it to extremely loud music..Given me the nudge to develop something I had kicking around for a while!

Whilst it was of course about The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers etc, there was also a more daft, off the wall element to it - Bentley Rhythm Ace, some of the Fatboy Slim stuff, and even Primal Scream getting in on the act etc. There were a lot of indie kids abusing any available technology for the first time, and pushing stuff into the red, and I've tried to capture a bit of that gonzoid mentality hopefully. There was also a lot of fun, and a lot of distortion...

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/swc ... donkey.mp3

The chicken and gravy...

My expensive Variax guitar played through Fruity Blood Overdive and some piss-poor cab sim - trashy!
FL Studio GMS sinthesiser
FL Studio transistor bass
FL Studio 'metel' drumkit
909 sample (naturally...)
Tambourine loop I recorded ages ago
Random vocals , some nicked from other songs of mine (no one can sue me..well I could go after myself..)
Last edited by donkey tugger on Wed Apr 24, 2019 19:42 CEST, edited 1 time in total.