2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC020 April 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Richard Watashi

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC020 April 2019 - Voting until 01-05-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Richard Watashi »

Sorry guys, ilistened to the tracks multiple times but, i didn't make any notes to give you any feedback and, i've been just again listening to them but, i am not able now to properly rank them and, i would need to say only crap, just to say anything.

I think the entries were all great, though. I know i am disualificated for it.

I can only say that, my favorites were:
- donkey tugger
- Anthemic

I just want to apologize again, i know i should prepare some text for each track and, make it clear which i like better than the rest but, i was letting the proccess of writting feedback and ranking for the last time and - i just found i am not able to do it, and to say something i am certain of and, i don't mean to affect the final list - like that.
toadhjo

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC020 April 2019 - Voting until 01-05-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by toadhjo »

J I L L I A M wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 23:43 CEST
Sorry guys, ilistened to the tracks multiple times but, i didn't make any notes to give you any feedback and, i've been just again listening to them but, i am not able now to properly rank them and, i would need to say only crap, just to say anything.

I just want to apologize again, i know i should prepare some text for each track and, make it clear which i like better than the rest but, i was letting the proccess of writting feedback and ranking for the last time and - i just found i am not able to do it, and to say something i am certain of and, i don't mean to affect the final list - like that.
I understand how you feel. I also have trouble ranking the tracks. This month there were a couple that I really liked but beyond those it was really hard.

Also, I want to thank everyone for their feedback. I need more practice mixing but I also need more confidence. Whenever I pan something past 60% or so, I always feel like it stands out too much, but that's probably just because I'm being overly sensitive to my own mix. And then I use too much reverb because I feel like it covers up my mediocre mix :hihi:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC020 April 2019 - Results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd May 2019, 0:45am - the Voting Period has officially ended.

I hope I can already present the results of the collected votes later tonight. So please have an eye on this thread
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Hi everyone, a short update, so that you're not left in the dark.

I've got all results, and in fact the Winners Podium (not surprised either), but I'm currently contemplating if I should add a staff vote or not.

Reason being, is that this month's premise was only barely reached. Please let me quote "the task" (premise) from the second post again
A few word about this month's theme wrote:Your job this month is to create a big beat production that is heavily inspired by these genre pioneers of the late 90s, but is ported into modern days (see "The Day is my Enemy" and "No Tourists"). Dig out old-school drum loops (Zero G's Jungle Warfare and Chemical Beats come to mind), mangle them to your hearts content and create something new. Throw in a cheesy voice sample, don't skimp out on screaming instruments. This is Big Beat and the more harder side of electronica. Let your creative juices run wild.

I'm still learning myself with fine tuning the premise/ground rules as to what I'd like to see/hear in terms of releases. To make things as detailed as it can be, yet easy to understand (overall goal). In fact, this is why I went back and recently fine tuned SWC021 (game was still in it's initial 48 hours).

But I kind of expected the SWC020 material to be sounding similar to (not exactly like) "The Fat of the Land" (1997) and "The Day is my Enemy" (2015) rather than "Music for the Jilted Generation" (Techno/Jungle). In case of ANTHEMIC, he even created something in a completely different genre (actually: Electronic Dance Music, not Big Beat).

In your defense, this game (as in the Songwriting Competition) is all about "making music" in the first place. And with joining, you are already a winner. So you're doing great on that behalf, nothing to argue here. :sing:

But for a couple of games now, especially those with fixed genres, we've seen a lot of productions kind of missing the mark. Especially after investing the time to provide suitable audio demos (see the third post of each thread). And I'd like to pick that maybe up in a discussion over in the Gossip Thread. Because I'd really love to know how to improve on this, so that everyone can have fun while participating, and not feel left out. Also having the future of the Songwriting Competition in mind.

:arrow: Long story short:

I'd like to give feedback to all of you this month (again, I sadly can't do this as often as I'd like and you'd probably want me to do that), which will however take me a while to write down. This in turn means, that the results will drop 1-2 days later than planned (by Monday evening latest). The main question would be, if my Top 12 listing should count to the overall score? Some positions might shift, some might not.

I just want to get some quick feedback on this - because technically the "Staff Vote" rule does not apply.

I'll leave the decision up to you.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 03:19 CEST
I'd like to give feedback to all of you this month (again, I sadly can't do this as often as I'd like and you'd probably want me to do that), which will however take me a while to write down. This in turn means, that the results will drop 1-2 days later than planned (by Monday evening latest). The main question would be, if my Top 12 listing should count to the overall score? Some positions might shift, some might not.

I just want to get some quick feedback on this - because technically the "Staff Vote" rule does not apply.

I'll leave the decision up to you.
Position and overall score is not interesting. First or last it doesn't matter. I rather have more feedback and yours is welcome especially when overall feedback here is sparse. Sometime it feels more like voting based on one or two listen (no offense to anyone but even playback/download statistics support this).

Also regarding style/genre. It is really hard to do track when you are not used to this style. I prefer sticking to basic principle instead of copying outer form from tracks that exist withing this genre. So my voting and feedback is based on this idea. Do we need need another copy of Prodigy?

1 or 2 days, even a week it doesn't matter to me but I do want to hear your feedback. :tu:
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 03:19 CEST
I'd like to give feedback to all of you this month (again, I sadly can't do this as often as I'd like and you'd probably want me to do that), which will however take me a while to write down.
Same here, i am waiting for your feedback Mister Fox. Also i don't mind if you will do a top for all songs.
minuskx

Post by minuskx »

If my whole experience with Big Beat was limited to only Fat of the Land (or only to Prodigy for that matter), then making a song within those parameters wouldn't even be a question. Big Beat is way too broad of a genre. I mean if you go through The Matrix's soundtrack for example, there's a lot of big beat tunes that go from the darker industrial theme to more atmospheric themes.
I just don't think classifying songs made here by how much they sound like Firestarter is really that fair.

That said, more feedback is more feedback, so rate them away.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Okay - thanks for the feedback so far. I'll see what I can come up with.
Leonard Bowman

Post by Leonard Bowman »

Personally, while I don't care about the overall results (yet), I want the votes to come from the entrants. Just in keeping with the original rules, podium standings should come from that the votes already placed.
But I'd love some feedback and to see what you think on the matter.

For me, the theme is an inspiration first, and a judgment criteria second. There are things that I will choose to not emulate because of how I want to write a song. I would like the license to do that creatively as long as the overall theme is attempted.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC020 April 2019 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 20

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. donkey tugger (93 pts)
  2. Shiftdelete (88 pts)
  3. minuskx (86 pts)

Apologies for the late response, this is not an automated process. I decided to post the results without further commentary or a vote from me. I didn't want to keep you waiting any longer. I try to get you feedback on this game ASAP (currently super busy).

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have 1 disqualification (no feedback/vote given)
We have 2 users that tied
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does not apply - 3-position Winners Podium

IMPORTANT: We had 2 tied results this month. 7th place made functionform because he has 1x11 pts over 8th place holder Mark Rapture, who has 0x11 pts in his results. Please consult the Rules and Guidelines regarding the vote system.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, mail address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!