2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC021 May 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC021 May 2019 - Submissions until 24-05-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 09:00 CEST
Hello, I apologize for asking this, but there is simply too much information in too many places:
The main sources of information are always linked to in the first two posts of this thread, and the official Rules and Guidelines for this particular game.

A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 09:00 CEST
Is there a time limit for the entries? Or could my track/mp3-file be 10 minutes, if I wanted to?
It is recommended to not post anything shorter than 1:30min (unless otherwise stated), and ideally not exceed 10min. A good "ballpark" for maximum song length is 6-7 minutes. But it's not a "you're out" situation if your song is 10 minutes long.

If I should make that more clear in the rule set, please let me know

The Exponent wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:57 CEST
Preferably submit a WAV file instead of MP3.
Only relevant for the Mix(ing) Challenge. The Songwriting Competition can be a MP3 or SoundCloud Link only. As long as the material is downloadable.

But if you want to show off your high quality material, then provide a WAV or FLAC (if you're low on bandwidth) as well. (personally, I do prefer WAV, as this doesn't introduce unwanted sound degradation through a 3rd party CODEC where you have no influence on the sound, see SoundCloud)
donkey tugger

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC021 May 2019 - Submissions until 24-05-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by donkey tugger »

Hehe, I don't think a 10 minute opus would really fall into the category of 'pop' though... :lol:
GIANCARLO

Post by GIANCARLO »

Hi everyone!
We´re back with a new song.
It´s called PSYCHOLOVE and it´s influenced by 80s synthpop music.
Regarding the lyrics, it´s our (over the top) take on the obsessive love theme.
Lisa did the vocals and I did the rest.
It was recorded at home using:
-Notebook
-Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
-Jbl monitors
-Audio Technica 2020 mic
-Ableton live 10 standard
-Roland Juno Di
-Gibson Les Paul standard
-Acoustic guitar
-THU and a couple of free plugins (The Bloo, Dexed)

Wav:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsw9eqfnj7ba8 ... e.wav?dl=0

Hope you like it!
All the best,
Giancarlo
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production

Please do spread the word about the Songwriting Competition. The more participants the better. I'll also have some very interesting news to talk about early next week. So keep an eye on this thread. :phones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow: I am happy to announce the following sponsors for the Mix Challenge audio community:

MONTH EXCLUSIVE (for SWC021/May 2019)

Aly James Lab is kind enough give away one license of VPROM 2.0 Vintage Drum Computer (Month Exclusive / May 2019)
License will turn into NFR
More info on Aly James Lab: http://www.alyjameslab.com

Rhythmic Robot Audio is kind enough to donate one "E-MU Systems" samples bundle (Month Exclusive / May 2019)
More info on Rhythmic Robot Audio: https://www.rhythmicrobot.com/

RECURRING

JRR Sounds is kind enough give away any-1 sound sets or sample set of winner's choice (exception: Bundles)
More info on JRR Sounds: https://www.jrrshop.com/jrr-sounds

JRR Shop is back with a new recurring deal for the Songwriting Competition, this time with their own in-house sound and sample sets released under the "JRR Sounds" brand.

A huge thank you goes to JRR Sounds, Aly James and Rhythmic Robot Audio for providing the licenses. :tu:

If that is not worth spreading the word about the Songwriting Competition, I don't know what is.
There are 9 days left on the Global Countdown. :phones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

I'm also announcing that due to the month-exclusive sponsors (and their value), if we're not exceeding 20 participants, I (as host) will cast a vote, and my votes will count double. So far, we only have two entries. Please let up keep up the participation and exceed 15 contestants this month.

You can help! Just spread the word on Social Media, message boards and/or chat rooms. :tu:
TheNeverScene

Post by TheNeverScene »

Well, gag me with a spoon! Nice new prizes! I'm using VProm and an interesting free Emulator 1 vsti that I stumbled across. Both are staples of the era...
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

GIANCARLO wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 22:46 CEST

-THU and a couple of free plugins (The Bloo, Dexed)
Maybe you should specify exactly which plugins you have used, if there are more than these two?
GIANCARLO

Post by GIANCARLO »

Of course!
For drums I made a drum rack in Ableton Live with the samples provided by the software (Drum Machines). I think I layered another sample on the snare for the ambience.
The bass is TAL´s free Noisemaker splitted in 2 frequencies with a chorus.
The rest of the synths come from the Juno DI except for The Bloo, Dexed and Synth1 on some arrangements.
On the guitars I used THU exclusively.
For mixing I used Ableton´s plugins and a few other plugins like Tal Chorus, Tal Reverb, Nebula, Sigmund and Luftikus.
Hope that helps!
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

GIANCARLO wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 14:14 CEST
Of course!
For drums I made... ... ... ... ... Sigmund and Luftikus.
Hope that helps!
I guess it's also a matter of following the rules here. On the other hand I haven't read them all, because - as I've mentioned earlier - they are splitted in too many places and a little hard to get a grip on. But I guess that you must specify all your plugins - correct, anybody? I wouldn't want anybody to get disqualified.

Regardless of the answer to that, it was interesting to hear about the stuff you have used :)