2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC022 June 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC022 June 2019 - Submissions until 24-06-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by A Future in Noise »

SWC022_AFutureInNoise_AI-Fugue_In_D_Minor

Perhaps this is the theme song for a Celebrating Johann Sebastian TV program broadcasted every week? And the program is only 20 minutes long, so the theme song cannot be any longer than 1.22 minutes?

Instruments: Sample Tank 2.5 Free (flute, cello and trumpet; trumpet downloaded from GitHub (Sgossner), and imported to Sample Tank), ZynAddSubFx, classic version 2.4.1.505beta (bass guitar and strings, programmed by myself), Plogue Sforzando (Karoryfer Were Sax).

FX: Reverb: IR L96 from Samplicity inside Reverberate LE from Liquid Sonics. Ambience: Small ambience from Bricasti M7 made to IR-file by Samplicity, inside Reverberate LE. Bass guitar cabinet: Ampeg V4B Custom 4x12 IR file downloaded from no longer existing German site imported into NadIR by Ignite Amps.

Scores: I used the scores/midis in the order they are numbered. More precise: 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-3, first half of 4-3 followd by latter half of 4-2, and then 5-3, 6-1. And then da capo. The digits after the hyphens are due to the fact that I tried several version of the AI:s accompaniment proposals. From screenshot no. 1 until no. 4 I transposed from A minor to D minor. From screenshot no. 5 the key is the same as in the music in the mp3 file. And maybe I should mention, also, that I didn't follow these notes strictly, but I'd say that 80 percent, roughly, is left of the doodle's original notes. (The alto part is mostly played by the cello, and the tenor part by the saxophone, but sometimes vice versa.) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by A Future in Noise on Wed Jun 19, 2019 07:01 CEST, edited 9 times in total.
DoctorBob

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC022 June 2019 - Submissions until 24-06-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by DoctorBob »

OK Mr Fox, thanks for the reply. I'll screenshot some stuff from the score. As it happens I have not changed the 4 midi "tracks" from the doodle at all, only played around with an extra piano track …

dB
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

Mister Fox wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 13:43 CEST
...and I've got a PM with "pending questions" and panic in the thread that I'm not available. You know that I try to respond as fast as possible. But please also understand that I can't be here 24/7 (I'm but one person running this after all).
I very much appreciate your efforts, Mr. Fox, and this opportunity to get feedback from other musicians. I'll try not to be pushy again. (But I felt that one week is what I need, because I'm a newcomer here and not used to this site, and because of the screenshots, and so on...)
Leonard Bowman

Post by Leonard Bowman »

Happy international Make Music day!
(and happy summer, for northern hemisphere folks)

Presenting my entry: "On Wings"

I wrote lyrics and a melody, and then used the doodle to generate harmonies for it. I wanted a homorhythmic piece, so I input the melody notes as straight sixteenths and repeated the inner voices until they changed.

Produced in Reaper, mostly on 5.211 but finished on the most recent version.
13 layers of my voice, transposed & formant shifted with ReaPitch, tuned with ReaTune (I'm no Jacob Collier) and noise gated through ReaGate.
I used the Ambisonics Toolkit (ATK) for 3D panning, then added reverb with Freeverb Impulser2 & my favorite impule
Decoded to UHJ stereo, so those interested can encode it into surround sound if they like. I'm happy to share the B-Format mix to anyone interested.

Here's the score, screenshots, WAV audio file, compressed audio file for those with limited internet, and a binaural mix for those with headphones.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12Fk2S ... pqnwGbWdoU
Last edited by Leonard Bowman on Sat Jun 22, 2019 13:27 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
SimaGT
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by SimaGT »

Hello

This is my submision.This track is made out of 6 bars of bach doodle.
Generated chords and their progression didnt changed i just shortened/skipped some of them and aded melodies on top .
Software used :
AD 2 Drums, Synthmaster ONE, Reaktor 6, NI Massive, Waves Electric Grand 80 piano.

Wav:
https://soundcloud.com/user-253743970/s ... agt-bachop

Pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fj5fhavshpej ... K_4-a?dl=0
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Hello,
I'm not sure that the linking on this forum has been used to setup soundcloud embedding.

I dont mind but its nice to be able to browse and listen.
Also, MisterFox, have you considered a Soundcloud for the challenge, can give further exposure to both the site and entries?

Regards

Liam
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Clueless wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 21:00 CEST
I'm not sure that the linking on this forum has been used to setup soundcloud embedding.
Link parsing to Images, Videos, audio files and SoundCloud is not happening automatically (except for general URLs).
You need to use the following code:

Code: Select all

[soundcloud]<link to song>[/soundcloud]
Not only that, if you use SoundCloud to provide WAV files, make the material downloadable (see Rules and Guidelines).

Clueless wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 21:00 CEST
Also, MisterFox, have you considered a Soundcloud for the challenge, can give further exposure to both the site and entries?
Participants can already use SoundCloud to distribute their material - if they want to. But I can't force them to use one platform. I want to keep it open for everyone. So you can submit via DropBox, GoogleDrive, SoundCloud, your own page, etc. As long as the material is downloadable.

Redistributing everything through SoundCloud (from my end) means extra work (like a lot of extra work) and possible legal issues. So I stick to "one post with all entries listed" as this is happening for each SWC so far. Thank you for your understanding.

Also:
A Future in Noise wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 15:54 CEST
SWC022_AFutureInNoise_AI-Fugue_In_D_Minor
You're running into a rule violation: viewtopic.php?p=715#p715
 ! Bonus Info
Rules and Guidelines - Rule set for participants
  • Production shall ideally not exceed 10 minutes. A good practice is to try to shoot between 3 and 6 minutes of run time (unless otherwise stated)
  • Do not create productions shorter than 1:30 minutes (think TV openings/endings), see previous point for ideal length of production (unless otherwise stated)
  • Minor edits to your submission are allowed, but this is not a WIP forum. Your entry is final!

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 3 days left to submit your production
canese

Post by canese »

Hello everyone, have a listen of my entry:

Song details:
Bpm: 127
Tonality: Cm (also used a F mayor chord, so I believe is dorian sometimes)
Structure: A-B-A-C-A (Rondó)

Workflow description:
I imagined a world taken by A.I. so I wanted a vibe that inspired some fear and robotic control over humanity but in a way that I'd be proud to have an A.I. civilization that continues evolution in the universe.

Beat is made with layerd samples from all around the internet.
Bass is from NI's Massive.
Keyboard are from Fl Studio's Morphine and Korg's Monopoly.
Pads and lead sounds also from Massive.
Sfx sounds are from samples and Massive presets.
Vocals are from a website called looperman and made by steelyvibe.

Tried to keep composing, arrangement, mixing and mastering in different stages. All was produced in Fl Studio.

I put the main melody in bach doodle and pasted the best result back in 3rd verse (last 30 seconds).
Here are some screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wz9kkh9hic0o2 ... 7.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrz70hgbscnqr ... 9.png?dl=0

Edit: Not sure yet how to share images in the forum so I share the link, hope it works
Thanks for listening and reading.