2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC023 July 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Clueless

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC023 July 2019 - Submissions until 24-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Clueless »

tusca wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 05:39 CEST
Hi everyone!

I've recently added my submission for this songwriting competition SWC023:

https://soundcloud.com/tuscamusicas/swc ... l-complete

I've used the Electribe EMX1 to create almost sounds for this song. Then, I've processed and arranged the recorded sounds in Ableton.

The song is a bit under production, it sounds like a nonstop main loop with some changes on hihats and a random phrase harmony. By the way, it sounds good to me. For a next version, I'll add a bassline, some fills and melodies and even vocals. I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks mix-challenge.com for this contest!

Hiya Tusca,
Welcome :)

If you use the soundcloud link, place your track link in the middle which can be found when creating a post, SC logo at top, 2nd bar. [s0undcloud] https://soundcloud.com/tuscamusicas/swc ... l-complete [/s0undcloud] or just replace zero for an o

It will embed your track.

:D
Leonard Bowman

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC023 July 2019 - Submissions until 24-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Leonard Bowman »

My entry:
"Mirage Mainland"

Made in Reaper 5.980
All of the sounds come from MSoundFactory, the free SonicCouture brush kit sample set, and my own collected samples.
FX used:
ReaEQ, ReaComp, TripleTrouble (my work-in-progress distortion plugin), GClip, Cocoa Delay, GBand, JS DC Filter, witti midi gate, JS Ping Pong Pan, MNoiseGenerator, MEqualizer, Freeverb3 ProG
Master Chain:
JS NP1136 Peak Limiter, JS Event Horizon Limiter/Clipper, SlickEQ, Limiter No6, MLoudnessAnalyzer, MAnalyzer.

Scale: 15Highschool1, reference pitch = 413hz

It's definitely house, but it doesn't quite have the energy of a summer festival climax piece. and I'm okay with that. Maybe the DJ uses this as a rest moment, calm things down a bit before the next set.
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

DAW: FL Studio 20.5
Author/composer/producer: VCA-089
Title: Summer Track Again!
Genre: House
BPM: 120
Key: Bb Major in Dorian mode

SoundCloud WAV:

MP3 :https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CrPTt ... 2LGBYa65T0
FLAC: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zqfhT ... 7aZBQhX6k9

Hello!

I'm not pretty sure that this is a prog. house (more like a deep/chill house) and definitely not a mainstream thing. A bunch of ideas inspired by summer trips and OG Junkie XL tracks. The main idea was to create a track with (mostly) free software, samples, loops and effects I've collected thrughout my music making hobby. It was an interesting experience to work with that stuff. I'm not promising the best mixing/mastering quality because it all did on laptop's internal soundcard and my ears are completely tired.

Hope you enjoy my entry and good luck!

Used Plugins:

Generators:

x1 FPC
x1 Ample Bass P 2 Lite
x2 Ample Guitar M 2 Lite
x1 DiscoDSP "OB-Xd"
x3 One Small Clue "Grace"
x1 AAS "Lounge Lizard 4 Session"

Native Effects:

x1 Balance
x20 Parametric EQ 2
x4 Stereo Enhancer
x4 Delay 3
x3 Reeverb 2
x2 Love Philter
x1 Limiter
x1 Wave Candy
x1 dB Meter

VST Effects:

x3 TDR & VoS "SlickEQ"
x2 VoS "FerricTDS"
x1 VoS "DensitymkIII"
x1 VoS "NastyDLAmkII"
x4 Audiority "Xenoverb"
x1 ToneLib-GFX
x6 Tritik "Krush"

Sample Packs:

99Sounds Atmospherik Mekanisms
99Sounds Massamolla
99Sounds Project Pegasus
99Sounds Space Divers Mini
99Sounds White Noise SFX
Articulated Sounds Water Free Pack v1
Ocean Swift Sounds Of Life
Wave Alchemy Evolve Free
Various sound effects from Freesound.org

Total:

x9 Generators
x55 Effects
x18 MIDI Patterns
x30 Audio clips
x52 Mixer tracks
x27 Automation tracks
Last edited by VCA-089 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 00:10 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
canese

Post by canese »

Hi, Here is my entry for this month competition:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbrdtxv7bagmp ... a.wav?dl=0

I'd give my workflow later, I just wanted to uploaded before the countdown runs to 0.

Thanks!
canese

Post by canese »

Produced in Fl Studio 12

I wanted to make a track that has a summer nostalgic feeling. Here where I live, summers tend to be very hot and wet (I'm from Paraguay, maybe you'll find some tropical house elements because of that) and we like partying around water (river, lake and pools).

I started with the precussions. Put a ton of effects to make them sound crazy, add an EQ, compression, a flanger and pan to the sides.
The drum set are samples from all around the web. Just heavy compressed and with an exciter.
The keys are from Korg's M1.
The bass from the verses is from Massive and in the chorus is sample I found layered with a bass from massive.
The Guitars I found them in my samples archives. I compressed them, EQ, and put a little distortion.
I found the lyrics in my sample folder and I thought they went well with the beat. I realized later that the lyrics are from an Avicii Song "silouettes" but he used them in a very different way so I don't considere the song as a remix.
The lead pad is from Massive.

I used only one reverb and one delay for all instruments and voice, and also automated it sometimes.
I automated a High pass and another low pass filters before the chorus hits.

I mastered with EQ, compression, a stereo imaging pluggin and a limiter. (I'm still having dificulties in this part)

Thanks for reading and good luck!
tusca

Post by tusca »

Clueless wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 13:43 CEST
tusca wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 05:39 CEST
Hi everyone!

I've recently added my submission for this songwriting competition SWC023:

https://soundcloud.com/tuscamusicas/swc ... l-complete

I've used the Electribe EMX1 to create almost sounds for this song. Then, I've processed and arranged the recorded sounds in Ableton.

The song is a bit under production, it sounds like a nonstop main loop with some changes on hihats and a random phrase harmony. By the way, it sounds good to me. For a next version, I'll add a bassline, some fills and melodies and even vocals. I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks mix-challenge.com for this contest!

Hiya Tusca,
Welcome :)

If you use the soundcloud link, place your track link in the middle which can be found when creating a post, SC logo at top, 2nd bar. [s0undcloud] https://soundcloud.com/tuscamusicas/swc ... l-complete [/s0undcloud] or just replace zero for an o

It will embed your track.

:D
Hi again!

Sorry, I'm new here! I wanted to share my song but then I've decided to delete it from soundcloud and this contest, because it doesn't match the style.

There's a lot of things to learn here. Maybe, next time I'll be more prepared!

My apologies and many thanks to the forum members and the mix-challenge staff!

Cheers
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC023 July 2019 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th July 2019, 3:00am GMT+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

Hello and welcome to all new contestants.

We had 7 participants, which is 1 entry less compared to last month (8 entries), but 4 more compared to last year (3 entries). This has been a requested genre, and the participation is lower than expected (we're currently on a downwards trend).
The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does apply. (1-position Winners Podium)

There were no productions submitted after the deadline.
One (number: 1) entry has been redacted.

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours, I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. So please, check your links again. Mistakes and hiccups do happen on the internet. We then perform with the "public vote" system.

We have 7 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 6 tracks, the staff will notcast a balance vote.

Keep in mind of the overhaul of the Rules and Guidelines. As long as we're not exceeding 20 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 20 list (or in this case, your top 7) can look something like this:
01 (10 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (9 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (8 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (7 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (6 pts) - Mr Hale-Bopp
06 (5 pts) - The Rings of Saturn

How your voting could look like, please take a look at these posts (sans the technical information):
viewtopic.php?p=2311#p2311
viewtopic.php?p=2478#p2478
viewtopic.php?p=2819#p2819
viewtopic.php?p=3522#p3522

It is also recommended to cast your vote in collective form through the "Spoiler" tag:

Code: Select all

[spoil]01 participant
02 participant
03 participant[/spoil]
Please use the username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines (on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, failing to do so results in a disqualification).

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

If you have an idea for a theme/genre or want to see a specific theme tackled in the future, please voice your opinion here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=168

Have some general feedback? Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC023 July 2019 - Voting until 01-AUG-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Thursay, 01-AUG-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

As mentioned in Newsletter #050:
If a deadline is prior to the 13th of a month, the month of the end-date will now be spelled out instead of using a number. This is due to the fact that some areas of the world use the MDY (Month-Day-Year) order instead of the DMY (Day-Month-Year) order, which lead to confusion and missed deadlines. Please also take note of the existing Global Countdown - please don't risk a disqualification due to a lack of feedback and vote.

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

yuppi88 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 23:06 CEST
"Take It"

MarkS wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 19:58 CEST
"City Lights"

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0ajqsjeu7h3c ... s.wav?dl=0
SimaGT wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 16:05 CEST
"Lighthouse"

J I L L I A M wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 03:26 CEST
"Just Starting"

Leonard Bowman wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 15:28 CEST
"Mirage Mainland"

canese wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 23:58 CEST
"Oga"

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbrdtxv7bagmp ... a.wav?dl=0

Please consult the last post of how your vote could look like (which links to more sources). And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the usernames in your listing. Thank you!

To make it easier on yourself, and more helpful for each participant, maybe focus on the overall production value. What you really liked with the song, what you'd like to see improved, etc.

SWC023 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) and casting your Top 7 vote is mandatory, else you will be disqualified.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:
Leonard Bowman

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC023 July 2019 - Voting until 01-AUG-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Leonard Bowman »

It looks like Yuppi88's entry is not currently downloadable.
Making tracks downloadable is required in the rules, i believe; plus, it's nice to be able to hear the track in its original fidelity.

while I'm posting- @tusca I thought your track was rather neat from the bit of it that I heard, even if it does not quite match the style of the other tracks presented. I do hope you'll consider joining us for another round.

There are some really great entries this month, i'm looking forward to my in-depth listens for feedback and voting.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Yes, Yuppi88's entry is not downloadable (which would be a rule violation), missed that. Just added an additional piece of info in the global listing.