2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC024 August 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC024 August 2019 - Submissions until 24-08-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

Please do spread the word on social media, chatrooms, newsletters, forums, etc. The more participants, the more feedback, the more fun during this game run.
EatMe

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC024 August 2019 - Submissions until 24-08-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by EatMe »

Hello,

I came to join this competition for fun.

Here is something new with the elevator music mind:

http://soundcloud.com/eatme/woopi

I don't know about changing the filenames for my official downloads to something else than my artist name and the track title,
so you will need to rename the file yourself.

to rename the file, right click and RENAME EatMe_-_Woopi.flac SWC024_EatMe_-_Woopi.flac

here is a download page link: (previews do not work, speed / pitch issues here)
flac of Woopi by EatMe.
mp3 of Woopi by EatMe.

music by EatMe - www.eatme.pro - some rights reserved.
(CC) BY-NC-ND 3.0 - attribution, no commercial use and no derivatives without permission.
see www.eatme.pro/about for more info.

Good luck to all participating participants.
Last edited by EatMe on Tue Aug 27, 2019 02:11 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorBob

Post by DoctorBob »

Why not rename your file to the "required format" on your hard disk and then upload the file again to Soundcloud. Then the download filename will be correct.

dB
DoctorBob

Post by DoctorBob »

Here is my submission to the "Elevator Muzak" competition. It's a slow jazz waltz at 120 bpm in the key of Db. It has 3 repeats, with a fade in and a fade out as per so much of the "muzak" we hear in elevators (or lifts!) and various retail outlets. I hope you all enjoy it, and hope the tune stays in your head forever, like all good muzak!

Here are some details about the track.

Software:
Reaper
Adobe Audition

Tracks:
Bass .......... Synthmaster 2.9, VEQ4, VComp

Backing BUSS: Valhalla Room
Piano ......... Synthogy Ivory Grands II, VEQ4, VComp
Guitar......... Kontakt Jazz Guitar, VEQ4, VComp
Strings ....... Kontakt Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra, VEQ4, VComp

Sax ........... Kontakt Saxophones 1, VEQ4, Pecheneg Tremolo, TDR Nova, VComp, Valhalla Room

Percussion .... Kontakt SSD, VEQ4, VComp

Master chain:
Stillwell 1973
Ferric TDS
Voxengo MSED
Ozone Elements 8

Metering:
SPAN
YouLean Loudness Meter 2 (free)
TT Dynamic Range Meter

Stats:
Integrated LUFS -14.6
Dynamic Range 11

For better quality and dynamics please use the links below:

WAV file can be played/downloaded here https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5yx3gixjvz2p ... z.wav?dl=1

320k mp3 file can be played/downloaded here https://www.dropbox.com/s/69glsowa0y1rb ... z.mp3?dl=1
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

It's so nice to slowly see entries trickle in. I was starting to get worried. :phones:
DoctorBob

Post by DoctorBob »

Probably slow because despite the form of the muzak, it does require a lot of careful playing and programming. In my case the sax needed every note to have the velocity carefully checked to trigger the correct layer in the synth, and also, the right amount of overlap of notes to get the legato playing, and also the right length of note in the right places for the vibrato to shine through!

IOW, a lot of work to get *that* feel in to the sax playing.

I hope we get more than 4 entries, I wouldn't want all the work (by me and everyone else) to go to waste ;-)

dB
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

I'll send my muzak maybe tomorrow or friday. I haven't participated in these songwriting competitions before.
DoctorBob

Post by DoctorBob »

Looking forward to more entries. Welcome Olli, this is only my 3rd entry to this competition.

dB
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

This is my interpretation what happens to 50-70’s music when one tranforms it to relaxed instrumental background music by pressing it through modern muzakian filter. (Hopefully I’m still within the genre of competition)

Structure of this song is typical simple country from 50’s:
intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse chorus

Chord progressions and instrumentation on the other hand are maybe more typical to 60’s and 70’s soft rock.

Arrangementwise there’s not so much developement but there’s constant variations: each verse is a new slightly improvisational interpretation of the original theme.

SOFTWARE
DAW: Reaper
Bass: Trilian
Drums: DrumCore
Organ, wurly, electric piano: Kontakt

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T97H- ... dPfWZR6KKm
WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sHjOl ... yLLBcy4z3Z
ryanc

Post by ryanc »

This was a super fun contest!

To create a "Jazzy Elevator Music" style song, I decided to experiment a little with the chord progression - lots of 7th chords and accidentals.

Here's what I came up with: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjgcp4mzhdrei ... n.wav?dl=0

A song called "A Good Man"
I used a brush kit sample from East West as well as Piano, saxophone and Duduk samples from East West.
The organ is from Analog Lab
Ibanez SDGR Bass
G&L Camanche Electric Guitar

Produced in Presonus Studio One

Thanks for listening!