2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
becsei_gyorgy

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - Voting until 01-DEC-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Thank you for your votes and the detailed feedbacks.
It's very helpful for me:
Olli H wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 20:45 CET
Maybe you could add some variation to the melody line."
gruskada wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 04:44 CET
Overall, the descending chord progression gets a bit tiring after a while. I'd either change it up a bit, or modulate to a different key at least.
Mellow Browne wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 23:46 CET
main theme too repetitive
TrojakEW wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 09:41 CET
same pattern is used in whole track over and over
Yes, everyone is right, the song is pretty simple. (The bass player plays the root notes of the 4 (total) chords all the way through the song :-) Like a 4 chord pop song without a coherent melody. :oops:
But I dont't think that is a Nightwish copy :uhuhuh: . The idea for instrumentation (strong bass, fast rhythm guitar, female voice, strong, fast drums) came from the given Xandria video clip. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx9OoLw ... e=youtu.be)
gruskada wrote:
The melody is a bit too simplistic, though. Maybe you are outlining chords too closely. Glaring example - guitars at 0:36. Be more bold - it's ok to have passing tones that aren't in the key/mode. Maybe more contrary motion as well (some tones moving up while others are moving down) - you do this a bit, though.
Yes, I feel comfortable in the key, I'm too cautious and uneducated in music, I have no idea yet where to "leave the frames".
TrojakEW wrote:
You said this is your 2nd track in your life which is bit odd because tools and instruments you used are saying something different.
This is really my second composition, which is "...longer than 8 bar" (a little exaggeration, I'd rather say it is longer than 1 minute). I have many 30-50 second sketches, melodies, intros, but I haven't finished much longer.
However, this is clear from the loop-based structure of my song I think.
I don't know yet how to develop a good melody or a good idea into a whole song. (And I was lazy too, and used copy-paste too much. :smile:)

Two years ago at Christmas I bought a magix music maker, and after months of reading and learning the forums, I realized that this was not the real thing and I didn't need it, so I started it again with the tools like many others: I bought an NI Komplete, a Reaper (plus Cubase, but I found that Reaper is way more flexible and customizable).
In the first year, I watched a lot of videos, especially from the threesome of Daniel James, Alex Moukala, Dirk Ehlert.
If you look at my libraries and the plugins I used here, you could also tell which one was recommended and used by them. :smile:
Based on these videos, recommendations and demos, I started collecting libraries and plugins from last year to expand the possibilities of Komplete. I don't have too much I think – fortunately, I can say no to impulse buys, but sometimes I still feel like I have too many plugins, especially compared to my knowledge –, but what they are, I think they are the best value for money and are essential for making music (at least for me).
TrojakEW wrote:
It is kind of you have gone for CD master instead of stream version.
Yes, that's the true. So if I put a song here for download (Google drive), should I still use the stream version in the Ozone? :face:

TrojakEW, SimaGT: "TBT Heavier7Strings"

I saw that many of you used TBT Heavier7Strings. Dirk Ehlert also did a demo broadcast of it. It sounded good and the included midi riffs were very good, but overall I don't know if its worth the price. At the time I was looking for a guitar library I found that Shreddage demos are better (and it was incredibly cheap on sales).
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - Voting until 01-DEC-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by TrojakEW »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 18:14 CET
Yes, that's the true. So if I put a song here for download (Google drive), should I still use the stream version in the Ozone?
Why did you master for CD? Are you going to release CD and sell your music? If not then rather master your tracks for streaming service.
becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 18:14 CET
I saw that many of you used TBT Heavier7Strings. Dirk Ehlert also did a demo broadcast of it. It sounded good and the included midi riffs were very good, but overall I don't know if its worth the price. At the time I was looking for a guitar library I found that Shreddage demos are better (and it was incredibly cheap on sales).
It is more about workflow. Same as in DAW. I also have Sheddage 2 SRP and also 3 Serpent. Shreddage is awesome library but I use H7S because it is a lot of easier to use right out of box. I was lucky and have won licence of H7S. :P
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

gruskada wrote:
The melody is a bit too simplistic, though. Maybe you are outlining chords too closely. Glaring example - guitars at 0:36. Be more bold - it's ok to have passing tones that aren't in the key/mode. Maybe more contrary motion as well (some tones moving up while others are moving down) - you do this a bit, though.
Yes, I feel comfortable in the key, I'm too cautious and uneducated in music, I have no idea yet where to "leave the frames".
A few things to try: John Williams has said that he spends an incredible amount of time getting the melody just right by just switching one note at a time and seeing what works. I love this method because you can come up with some technically complex things without really knowing what you are doing :-)

Another thing I do is just play over the track, intentionally trying to be a bit crazy. I end up throwing away 90+% of the take most of the time, but that 10% can easily end up being the coolest part of the song.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "uneducated" part. You probably have much more knowledge than you think just by listening to music. If you learn to play the songs you like, you get even more knowledge. If you take the time to transcribe the songs or parts of them (even if you're a bit off), you learn even more. You may not know the terms, but that can come later if you want.

Lastly, if you don't mind a disgruntled guy getting all animated and going a bit off topic, Mike Verta's Master Classes ( https://mikeverta.com/product-category/masterclasses/ ) are incredibly helpful. He's actually anti- music theory (mostly), and explains things really well (though not in a polished way - minimal helpful visuals or anything like that). If you do want more polish, the Evenant Classes ( https://www.evenant.com/ ) are supposed to be really good (for orchestral and trailer music). I'm sure you heard Alex Moukala talk about them. I think both still have Black Friday deals going on.

Seriously though, for one of your first songs, this is pretty awesome.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder
24 hours left to give feedback and submit your vote.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd November 2019, 5:15am - the Voting Period has officially ended.

Sadly, not all participants have cast their vote (SimaGT), we therefore have one disqualification.

I will post the results shortly, please have an eye on this thread.
(this is not an automated process)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 27

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. gruskada (39 pts, Sole Winner)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have 1 disqualification (no feedback/vote given)
We have 0 votes after the deadline
We have 0 users that tied
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does apply - 1-position Winners Podium

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium, in case of SWC027, we only have a sole winner) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Some general feedback to this Songwriting Competition:

First and foremost, it is once more a crying shame that we see disqualifications. Mostly because of a lack of participation. SimaGT has been a long-term participant, the deadlines did not change - yet no feedback and vote cast.

Another thing to point out, is that some submissions are indeed a bit "hot". There is no definite rule to absolutely not exceed -14LUFS ILk, yet maybe have an eye on this in the future. The DC-Offsets can be easily explained as well: this could be due to the used guitar amps and "saturation" tools. WIth digital releases, that is not that big of a deal. But definitely for a vinyl release.

Here are the stats from Wavelab 9 in PDF form:
SWC027 Analysis (PDF)

Regarding the productions - I'd say (nearly) all of them fit the "Symphonic Metal" genre. Just with a different spin, some going more "late 80s" and "black metal", others more late 90s (modern). Although Mellow Browne's production does drift a bit too much into Progressive Rock.

We have two participants that definitely tried to push a bit on the gas pedal (TrojakEW and Olli H - although pity that Olli's guitars are the weakest part of his produciton - could have been doubled up and distorted way more). And some entries that went all out with "symphonic" - at least if we talk choir (especially becsei_gyorgy, gruskada, TrojakEW).

I think I've kind of expected more... "power" (and in certain cases: speed), and definitely way more "in your face" guitars with nearly all entries. Most of the time, the drums are in the foreground, and the orchestra/choirs a bit too dry for my taste. But overall - great submissions for "Metal November".

If another "Metal November" in 2020 does sound interesting to you, I'm really curious how we can build upon that. :headscratch:
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

I'll go with IK MODO BASS. Thanks!

I'm amazed I won this one. I did put my heart and soul into the song, but in the end, I was disappointed that it didn't turn out heavier. I usually make "epic/classical" style pieces with some distorted guitars, but I had a heck of a time trying to reverse the roles. The song literally took me all month to write.

As far as dBTP, I had always thought that anything under 0.00 was ok. I just found some articles that explains that streaming services like -1.00 (this one seems good: https://www.masteringthemix.com/blogs/l ... fs-reading ), so I'll work on this for next time.

Thanks again,
Dave
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

Gongrats gruskada. MODO BASS was a good choise!
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Congratulations gruskada.

Thank you for your feedbacks again and especially for the very useful tips.
You are very fantastic, thanks.