2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Olli H

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - Submissions until 24-11-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Olli H »

Somewhere I got this little idea to build a bridge or a connection from my childhood to my current, hmm, a little bit older and, should I say, a ”shaky” state. To accomplish this I used recyled old legendary roots music lyric lines with this symphonic metal genre. This mixture gave those lyrics nicely a new meaning. (Bonus points to them who fiqure out the sources). So in a sense, this is a parody song, my way to handle the problem of ageing.

For this song I listened quite much Epica and Nightwish on my daily walks. From them I got obsession that I must also use demonic male voice as a pair to a female voice. Demon was easy to find, but the female voice was quite difficult task. As Tarja Turunen didn’t answer my calls, I have to find someone/something else… I’m quite happy with ”Nicoles” contribution to this track. She added nicely a special twist of meanings to lyrics - just what I wanted.

I first played with my guitar almost all the melodic parts, then I converted them to midi, and then started editing.

The structure of song:
Intro - A - A - B - A - B - Outro.
Well, my song seems to lacks the C-part, that is so essential in symphonic metal. So, structurewise I guess it’s more just like a good old rockabilly song from fifties.

But unlike old roots music, there’s plenty of chords in both A- and B-parts. And also some key-changes:
A-part in Dm (dorian mode) or C
B-part in Cm (aolian mode) or D#

DAW: Reaper
Strings and brass: Kontakt
Drums: SSD5
Bass: Modo Bass
Guitars: my cheap and lousy Kramer and crappy old me
Amp-plugins: bx_rockrack and bx_megasingle
Accidental coughing: me

====

Uninvited Guest
WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10w_c_ ... dD-O4-uI6h
MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ur99L ... GDs1_VsCbE
Mellow Browne

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - Submissions until 24-11-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mellow Browne »

Here is my entry for SWC027.

I don't know if I got this right, Metal in general is not my genre, so maybe my submission doesn't fit at all or is more a "rock type" song. I make Hip Hop and R&B/Neo Soul beats, so I'm not really able to differentiate between rock/metal and the subgenres - I listened to some audio examples, but still :headscratch:

I simply don't have the skills to write "classical/symphonic" music, so this is more like a ballad I would say :shrug:

I tried to keep it simple as possible, all I wanted was to get this finished, so no vocals or choirs in here. Actually, I wanted something really "bad ass" but I struggled finding the right sounds/melody to make it aggressive, so I tried to write R&B/Neo Soul-ish.

DAW: Logic Pro X

used instruments and FX:

Drums: Logic Pro Drummer (I took the drum style of "Anders")
FX:UAD Pultec, Sie-Q, MEqualizer

Drum Buss: UAD Fairchild 660, Volko Q3D, MEqualizer

Bass: EXS24 Attitude Bass
FX:elysia alpha mix, UAD LA2A, UAD Pultec EQ, MEqualizer

Main guitar: Xpand!2 Dirty 56 Strat
FX: Logic Amp, H-Comp, FAL RS-W2395 EQ, UAD Tonel Tilt

Punch chord: EXS 24 Sunburst Power Chords
FX: BC Free Amp, Logic Compressor, FAL RS-W2395 EQ

Mute guitar: EXS24 Eighties Power Chords
FX: BC Free Amp, MEqualizer, Logic Compressor

Classic guitarr: EXS 24 Classical Acoustic Guitar
FX: Logic Overdrive, MEqualizer, Logic Compressor

Delay guitar pick: Omnisphere 2 Dan´s Studio Dirty Baritone
FX: BC Free Amp, Logic Comp, FAL RS-W2395 EQ, Echoboy, MEqualizer

Lead Guitar: Omnisphere 2 PRS Lead Guitar a
FX: TDR Nova, Logic Compressor, MEqualizer, FAL RS-W2395 EQ, Logic Compressor

Piano chords: Analog Lab Lite American Small Studio
FX: MEqualizer, Logic Compressor, FAL RS-W2395 EQ,

Piano solo part: Xpand!2 Natural Grand Piano
FX: Logic Compressor, FAL RS-W2395 EQ, elysia alpha mix, MEqualizer

Strings 1: EXS24 Full Strings Legato
FX: MEqualizer, Logic Compressor

Strings 2: EXS24 EXS Strings 2
FX: Logic Overdrive, MEqualizer, Logic Compressor, MEqualizer

Wind FX: Logic Alchemy Windstorm
FX: MEqualizer, Logic Compressor

Guitar send FX: Soundtoys Little Plate

New York Style Compression Buss sends for drum buss and bass
FX: UAD 1176 LN Legacy - all buttons in mode - and MEqualizer low shelf EQ @ 100 Hz +1dB for that "bottom") for drums and bass.

Master buss: UAD Oxide Tape, elysia alpha master, Volko Q3D, Venn Audio Free Clip, Kazrog KClip, Kazrog masterDither

And here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
SimaGT
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by SimaGT »

Hi,this is my submision.I barely made it in time,everything is mixed with headphones i didnt have time to check it with monitors.
This is my first track with syphonic orchestra and it was really fun to discover libraries that i never used before.

https://soundcloud.com/user-253743970/s ... magt-gates

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rynm2d2lqhdjy ... s.wav?dl=0

DAW : Reaper

Instruments:

3xTBT Heavier7Strings
1x MODO Bass (duplicated 1 DI 1 for amp)

1x EastWest Symphonic Orchestra
1x EastWest Symphonic Choirs
1x EastWest Quantum Leap RA
2x Digital Synthsations
1x FM 8
1x Addictive Drums 2

Effects:

1x ValhallaVintageVerb for Synths
1x Rbass Mono
5x ReaEQ
1x SSL comp
1x Waves Vitamin
1x Waves Q10
1x Waves L3 UltraMaximizer
1x Waves L2
1x Voxengo SPAN
1x Waves PAZ
Last edited by SimaGT on Sun Nov 24, 2019 22:14 CET, edited 2 times in total.
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

Hi SimaGT
I'm not able to download your mix. It requires me to sign in. Please be a quick, otherwise there's a risk of disqualification.
SimaGT
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by SimaGT »

Olli H wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 19:58 CET
Hi SimaGT
I'm not able to download your mix. It requires me to sign in. Please be a quick, otherwise there's a risk of disqualification.
Ok thx .Iv added 1 more link.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th November 2019, 5:20am GMT+1/CET - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

Hello and welcome to all new contestants.

We had 6 participants overall, which is 1 entry more compared to last month (5 entries), 2 less compared to last year (7 entries).
The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does apply. (1-position Winners Podium)

There were no productions submitted after the deadline.
No (number: 0) entry has been disqualified
No (number: 0) entry has been redacted

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours, I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. So please, check your links again. Mistakes and hiccups do happen on the internet. We then perform with the "public vote" system.

We have 6 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 5 tracks, the staff will notcast a balance vote.

Keep in mind of the overhaul of the Rules and Guidelines. As long as we're not exceeding 20 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 20 list (or in this case, your top 5) can look something like this:
01 (10 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (9 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (8 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (7 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (6 pts) - Mr Hale-Bopp
06 (5 pts) - The Rings of Saturn
07 (4 pts) - ...

How your voting could look like, please take a look at these posts (sans the technical information):
viewtopic.php?p=2311#p2311
viewtopic.php?p=2478#p2478
viewtopic.php?p=2819#p2819
viewtopic.php?p=3522#p3522

It is also recommended to cast your vote in collective form through the "Spoiler" tag:

Code: Select all

[spoil]01 participant
02 participant
03 participant[/spoil]
Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines (on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, failing to do so results in a disqualification). Also, you can score an extra point for your given feedback, if you're giving hints how one could improve their production (new game mechanic, check the second post of this thread)

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that do sadly not count for the current running game. Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

If you have an idea for a theme/genre or want to see a specific theme tackled in the future, please voice your opinion here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=168

Although considering the lack of participation on requested themes, these requests might not happen prior to Q2/2020

Have some general feedback? Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - Voting until 01-DEC-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Sunday, 01-DEC-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 23:28 CET
"Fall of Themyscira"

SWC027_becsei_gyorgy_Fall of Themyscira.mp3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CPwD96 ... QkI72/view

SWC027_becsei_gyorgy_Fall of Themyscira.wav
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e1NL36 ... UfBQ6/view
TrojakEW wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 09:14 CET
"Become a Champion"

gruskada wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 06:05 CET
"Transclusion"

Mellow Browne wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 19:23 CET
"All White Keys"

WAV and MP3: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
SimaGT wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 19:26 CET
"Gates"

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rynm2d2lqhdjy ... s.wav?dl=0

Please consult the last post of how your vote could look like (which links to more sources). And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the forum usernames in your listing. Thank you!

To make it easier on yourself, and more helpful for each participant, maybe focus on the overall production value. What you really liked with the song, what you'd like to see improved, etc.

SWC027 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) and casting your Top 5 vote is mandatory, else you will be disqualified.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:
gruskada

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - Voting until 01-DEC-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by gruskada »

Oh man - I just realized that I have a few tracks with the wrong levels. I was trying to work on getting the LUFS correct, and without realizing it, mistakenly hit the "LUFS learn" in Ozone on a quiet section, which wrecked the whole song. I then adjusted a ton of track levels, until I figured out what was really going on.

I mostly forgot to bring back the double basses levels, which I used throughout the track. It upsetting too, because I spent a ton of time getting it to not be boomy (mostly learning about and applying "mid-side" processing in Ozone).

Anyway, I think it's a bit too late now, but just picture the track with awesome-sounding double bass :-) I'll re-rip it after the contest is over.
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

This genre was totally new to me. Everything I know about it, I learned during this month. So don’t take my good or bad comments too seriously.

When I was listening to your submissions, I decided that there should be
- symphonic elements
- heavy metal elements
- their mixture
- dramatic changes in arrangement
- clear melodic line

Dramatic changes seems to be essential part of this symphonic metal -genre.

===================

SWC027_becsei_gyorgy_Fall of Themyscira.mp3

This submission matches perfectly the genre of this competition. It has symphonic elements blended skillfully with heavy metal elements. And furthermore it has dramatic quick changes in arrangement. Very well done.

0:00 Beautiful piano opening.
0:10 Is that bass sound ok with piano?
0:14 Something dissonant
0:20 Drums start nicely. Great guitar sound. Lady and melody line ok
0:50 Synths come in. Melody line feels a bit timid
1:10 Great change to guitar solo. But bass is a bit restless here
1:30 Drums again with force.
1:50 cello and piano, beautiful
2:10 Drums and lady + choir,
2:50 It starts to feel that I have heard this song.
3:25 Piano outro

The strengths of this song is in structure, arrangement and sound. It’s great.
I think the weaker point is the melody. Melody is ok, but maybe it doesn’t have a needed hook to be remembered. It doesn’t carry the song enough. Maybe you could add some variation to the melody line.

===================

SWC027_gruskada_Transclusion.wav

I quess this is very nicely withing the competition’s genre. Very skillful symphonic elements blended with Gary Moore style rock. It’s not heavy metal, but close enough, I guess. (long hair with distorted guitar is close enough for me to be heavy) From the point of view of ”symphonic metal”, I mainly miss more dramatic changes in energy level. (But if we forget the competition’s demands, and just think compositions demands, I think the dramaturgy is just fine the way it is. As a song, it’s the strongest one)

0:00 Nice intro, with great guitar lines and choirs
0:30 Hi-hats + distorted guitar, works perfectly
0:55 Strings come in naturally, strong guitar lines
1:20 drummer feels a bit uncertain, he hasn’t decided what he should do
1:30 Weird curling bass sound, or is it guitar?
1:50 Choir in
2.06 You should consider a new drummer, it’s the weakest link in your band
2:27 Song disappers to some sort of uncertainty

Song starts nicely, but ending is a bit vague.
Nice guitar playing, I think I can hear the effect of human hand touching fretboard skillfully.
I would like to hear the main melodic line more clearly introduced. Now it has a bit jamming feeling
Overall feeling: very strong ambient song

===================

SWC027_TrojakEW_Become_a_Champion.wav

This submission has clearly symphonic part and heavy metal part. So I guess it’s within the genre of this competition. But somehow I feel that the heavy metal person took the lead of the project, and symphonic part was left as an obligatory part to be added. From the competitions point of view I miss the part where they are blending artfully. And most of all, I miss energy level changes.

0:00 Symphonic opening, nice. Little restless chord changes. As if there’s some sort of sidechaining.
0:48 Choir + metal, very strong change, my favorite part
0:58 Guitar comes in with nice riff.
1:17 This would be a good place to introduce slightly different, more relaxed kick groove
1:50 Sounds like Tom Waits stepped in to room to create space, cool
2.10 Kick starts to feel too monotonoes. Id dominates the sound.
3:10 choir and outro

There’s a dramatic cool point when the kick comes in. But after that I start to miss that strong effect. Kick groove is cool but in the long run it feels too monotonoes. It also eats the space from other nuances. For example there’s cool changes in guitar handling but those nuances are masked by kick. Maybe it should follow and support other arrangent changes more clearly. Somewhere quit the machinegun effect, and be more relaxed. That way it could come in more often with full force, and we would experience more often that wov-effect.

===================

SWC027_Mellow_Browne_All_White_Keys

This is only one that’s clearly out of this competions genre

0:00 Opening sound effect is very promising. But quite long.
0:23 Intro riff sounds great. I start to feel, that ”ok, here we have a winner”.
0:42 Drums in. But then, nothing happens. Intro repeats itself, riff is too long…
1:45 Guitar Riff alone again. Now it starts to feel too much as a loop. Actually the whole song appears to be one riff, with small variations.

I like those piano effects behind.

So, sound is all the time very good and organic, but not much musical developement happens. I think this is a great sonic base for an arrangement for some song, but the song part is currently missing.

You clearly have a great talent to make a sound and arrangement, but you must add to that an interesting chord progression and melodic lines. Now your music is a static image, you need to add movement to it. I would suggest to pick randomly for example any Beatles song and take the chord progression out of it. Then add the chord progression to your sonic idea. I’m sure your own musical ideas start to roll immediatly after that and you’ll create a great melodic line. You’ll end up having totally new great song that sounds like you.

===================

SWC027_SimaGT_Gates.wav

Clearly within the genre, but I think energy level changes are too mild. Overall energy level is too constant. I miss the changes from fragile moments to full anger.

0:00 Promising opening, symphonic and metal blended straight from the start
0:25 Guitar riff is interesting but sound is a bit suffocated, compared to choir yellings
0:45 Nice china part, but drum’s riff could have changed along with it. This part has nice potential to be developed
1:30 Guitar is back, but without melodic a content, just riff
1:47 cool synth part, I think the strongest part of this song, but drums are now feeling like a drum machine. It prevent your musical ideas to shine.
2.36 China again, after the synth part I start to miss the clear melodic content. Song starts to feel as if the main melodic line is muted, and we are listening to the backing band.
3:10 My concentration disappears
3:29 cool guitar riff again.

Clearly many nice ideas, but you should give them bolder mix. Now the musical ideas feels to be shy and under a planket.

Drums are too monotones, some douple kick effects and toms here and there, but otherwise not enough for feeling changes. Snare sound dies weirdly, no tail at all, kick and snare don’t make a pair. I feel the drum sound is too polite. It’s more like a click track to be replaced later with some crazy long haired drummer.

This song has many potential parts to make more dramatic changes. Those china parts could relax more and the introduce guitars in a new energy level. China parts has potential to be more fragile, and guitar parts could be more explosive.

===================

► Show Spoiler
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Olli H wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 20:45 CET
0:00 Symphonic opening, nice. Little restless chord changes. As if there’s some sort of sidechaining.
Sidechaining no. Dynamic (ppp - pp - p - mp - mf - f - ff - fff) for more expressive play. Listen to Mahler Symphony 9, Bruckner Symphony 7 or other classical music where you can find some similar parts. Similar to crescendo or decrescendo in one - dynamic arc. Some libraries like 8Dio Anthology or Century Strings comes with prerecorded arcs for even more realism.
Olli H wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 20:45 CET
2.10 Kick starts to feel too monotonoes. Id dominates the sound. This is not just volume process but it also takes behavior of instrument played.
Yyup I agree about drums pattern that are getting monotonous after a while. Didn't have time to make more variations. Spend most of time with programing lead guitar part.

Thanks for comments. :tu: