2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC028 December 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC028 December 2019 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 28

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. A Future in Noise (46 pts, Sole Winner)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have actually have 1 disqualification (one song that was released in October 2019 at the KVR Music Cafe Songwriting Competition)
We have 0 votes after the deadline
We have 2 users that tied (A Future in Noise has 3x10pt, 1x9pt -- Thelace43 has 2x10pt, 1x9pt)
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does apply - 1-position Winners Podium

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium, in case of SWC028, we only have a sole winner) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC028 December 2019 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

I'd also love to give some feedback on SWC028. Not as technical as you're usually used to from my end, but more in general.

I definitely love listening to all the creativity each month. But this time... not only did we have two tracks that were questionable regarding prior releases (I can't prove anything for JILLIAM's entry, I'm actually a bit disappointed with donkey tugger), we also had two tracks not really being "Singer/Songwriter" (JILLIAM and becsei_gyorgy). And finally, we had a very, very close call with the winners podium - which could have changed if one of the participants hdd given a bit more feedback on "you could maybe improve on ABC with your production" (new introduced game mechanic).

Let me make one thing clear: you all did outstanding work ! :clap:

I'm just the host, but I am also in charge of upholding the "Rule Book". So apologies if I had to be harsher than usual this month.

Some feedback per production/submission:

A Future in Noise:

Quite the interesting production indeed. The chorus with the acoustic guitar heavily reminded me of a certain multi-million metal band's intro of one of their most famous records. I also like the concept of a duet, but I'd have gone for either different drums, or mixed them a bit different.

The Guitar and Organ have way more reverb, yet are in front, while the drums and your vocals are dry. They're clashing a bit with each other. Maybe revisit that at some point.

becsey_gyorgy:

This is definitely playing in a different league. Just like last month, you put the "Epic" in "Epic". In fact, would you have been a member of the SWC in March 2019 (SWC019) already, I think you would have scored among the highest places. It is definitely not "Singer/Songwriter" though. A soundtrack, yes. "Endtimes Feeling" for a movie's epic scene, definitely. But not Singer/Songwriter. Sad that the song also doesn't have a proper ending, but a fade out. But okay.

Please do keep up the good work with your songwriting. I'm sure you'll find more chances in 2020 to show off your skills. But please, take note of the genre limitations in the future.

donkey tugger:

As usual, great production from you. Very playful with effects. But it's always the vocals that turn me off a bit. Not your voice, this is "you" and you can't change this, but the mixing (midrange). Your voice just... pops out of a mix and feels like a radio announcer.

It pains me to however see your production being a re-submission from October 2019 though. I had a feeling I've heard this track somewhere before, and it got sadly confirmed. This wasn't necessary - and you can do better than this.

There is really not much more to give feedback to. If you join SWC029 (Limited Soundset Challenge), I'd love to hear you go to town with creative sample usage and sound design for sure.

J I L L I A M:

Now before I get to your production, I also advise you to stick to the established Rules and Guidelines in the future. You've been really pushing it this month with one WIP, then a release that you said that was actually an old production but completely redone, on top of you constantly deleting your content either mid-game (as it happened early 2019) or shortly after. Also, your file wasn't named properly after downloading from SoundCloud.

While your production is definitely interesting, it felt rushed and actually unfinished - which the 1:56min length hints at. The vocals are drowning too much in effects and hurt your ears after a while (especially on small speakers9, while the piano was way too dry and felt out of place. It would fit the soundtrack genre and "limited instrumentation", but it's definitely not singer/songwriter where the vocals are more clear. The story and it's interpretation is a different topic of course.

You are super creative, and your productions improved over the year. It pains me to see you being so spotty in places.

Olli H:

This production threw me a bit for a loop. I did not expect a more "joke-oriented", yet depressive "this is the end" type of production. Plus points right there. Even the whistling doesn't distract me too much - it feels like watching a dark comedy or cartoon. Your voice is absolutely fine as well - thank you for stepping out of the shadows and recording it.

The only thing that irritates me a bit, is the usage of Slate Digital Drums, as they are a bit too snappy for this production. More softer drums and a different effect on the snare might do the trick.

Thelace43: (Mike Dorsey)

This is actually my personal favorite from all entries. A great and interesting laid-back production, interesting lyrics and vocals that sit well in the mix. The solo guitar feels a little bit too prominent, but that's all down to matter of preference (I would have pulled it back a bit, and added a subtle 8th delay).

It is a pity though that I had to subtract some points (new game mechanic). Technically, you would have lost both bonus point since you didn't list your used equipment - but you made up by explaining why you did what you did (incl. posting lyrics). The feedback towards other participants for SWC028 wasn't enough to give you an extra point though. Else you might have made it to 1st place.

You already showed a lot(!) of talent with SWC013 September 2018/Dark Corners of the Mind. Please do keep up the good work. I'd love to hear more entries from you in 2020.

Once more - you all have created outstanding work. You do deserve all the positivity, since you stepped out of your comfort zone and created something in the first place. It's just the little mistakes with every game....

Thank you for your participation, and see you again with SWC029. :phones:
Thelace43

Post by Thelace43 »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Super glad to be a part, and I really like the idea of a delay on the solo, thanks for the input. Looking forward to next time.

I am bad enough with deadlines and time management, but throw in a time zone, and I might as well be on the Titanic. That said, I do regret not having given proper feedback, and I very much appreciate everyone else's.

Cheers
Richard Watashi

Post by Richard Watashi »

Mister Fox wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 00:57 CET

J I L L I A M:

Now before I get to your production, I also advise you to stick to the established Rules and Guidelines in the future. You've been really pushing it this month with one WIP, then a release that you said that was actually an old production but completely redone, on top of you constantly deleting your content either mid-game (as it happened early 2019) or shortly after. Also, your file wasn't named properly after downloading from SoundCloud.

While your production is definitely interesting, it felt rushed and actually unfinished - which the 1:56min length hints at. The vocals are drowning too much in effects and hurt your ears after a while (especially on small speakers9, while the piano was way too dry and felt out of place. It would fit the soundtrack genre and "limited instrumentation", but it's definitely not singer/songwriter where the vocals are more clear. The story and it's interpretation is a different topic of course.

You are super creative, and your productions improved over the year. It pains me to see you being so spotty in places.
thanks for the encouraging words.

I couldn't name it properly, because you can't put the delta sign in a file name on windows 10
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The issue was not the track title but your missing username
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Thank you for all of you for the feedbacks and congratulations for the winner(s). :clap:

The sounds are in preparation, see you at the next competition.
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

As I understand it I'm asked to pick a plugin. Please tell me if it's a hurry. This minimalistic phone drives me crazy. Don't have access to my computer.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I also got your PM via Facebook. No rush.

If there is something of interest you want to pick from the license pool (second post), drop me a PM through the forum. Also check in with the Rules and Guidelines (Winning Licenses).
A Future in Noise

Thanks everyone for feedback. I never wrote and recorded a song as quickly as this one. I will most certainly try to make a new version according to your pieces of advice and the faults I already knew is there.
A Future in Noise

Now I have decided to pick the MODO BASS. I will also get in touch with Mr. Fox in a PM.