2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - Submissions until 24-01-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

The "Fillter" folder name was a typo. The new ZIP should not have that folder anymore (I can't check right now if there is still a mess-up).
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - Submissions until 24-01-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by A Future in Noise »

About wavetable synthesis: If I use one of the scramble-files in a wavetable synth - isn't it necessary to use the synthesizer's built in oscillators as well? Can I use the oscillators without breaking the rules?
A Future in Noise

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 07:35 CET
The "Fillter" folder name was a typo. The new ZIP should not have that folder anymore (I can't check right now if there is still a mess-up).
I just downloaded the archive-file you uploaded the first of January. It did NOT contain the Fillter folder. Can't see what happened a couple of days ago when I did the same thing (or at least thought I did). Because the two new sounds (bells) were there, then. Well, well ...
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:23 CET
About wavetable synthesis: If I use one of the scramble-files in a wavetable synth - isn't it necessary to use the synthesizer's built in oscillators as well? Can I use the oscillators without breaking the rules?
Technically, if you don't use the synth's built-in wavetables or single-cycle waveforms to produce the sounds and use the samples as a wavetable, it's fine by the rules. You're right that you're still using the synth's oscillator to generate the sound, but the character of the sound is still heavily derived from the sample used, so it's fair game. The synth chosen does influence the sound of the sample, but that's the entire point of resynthesis, mangling, bit-crushing, distortion, granulating, time-stretching, pitch-shifting, chopping, reversing etc. etc.

Cheers!
SirCool

Post by SirCool »

Hello
Am i alowed to make a public vidéo tutorial on how to make musick from samples with your material, of course crediting mix challenge and the autors of the samples?
if yes,
i'll nead the names of the autors.
musically,
Steeve
A Future in Noise

The Exponent wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:25 CET
... but the character of the sound is still heavily derived from the sample used, so it's fair game.
Thanks a lot, The Exponent! I really look forward to examine the world of wavetablesynthesis.
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

SirCool wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 14:37 CET
Hello
Am i alowed to make a public vidéo tutorial on how to make musick from samples with your material, of course crediting mix challenge and the autors of the samples?
if yes,
musically,
Steeve
I don't think there's a problem with that since you own the rights to the music you make with the samples and the challenge allows you to do whatever you want with the samples for this competition. And I personally think that a video demonstration of how you've used those samples to make music would be a really appreciated, since this platform is all about exchanging ideas and learning from each other. Go for it! :tu:

Disclaimer: Ultimately it's Mister Fox who will authorize this, but I think this should be allowed without question.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:23 CET
Aside from what "The Exponent" has written, I highly advise you to check out the "Sound Design Tricks" videos in this post. Most notably the ones by Spectrasonics and Andrew Huang, which focus on "pure wavetable synthesis" alone (with no additional Oscillators, only LFO's for modulation). This is why I post this.

A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:22 CET
I just downloaded the archive-file you uploaded the first of January. It did NOT contain the Fillter folder. Can't see what happened a couple of days ago when I did the same thing (or at least thought I did). Because the two new sounds (bells) were there, then. Well, well ...
Since I forgot the info block as to how to extract the ZIP file, I made an update post right after overwriting the ZIP file with the new folder structure and two new samples.

Those that downloaded the file prior to Wednesday, 01-Jan-2020 9:29 pm GMT+1, please re-download again and use the newer files. Those that downloaded after that time stamp, there is nothing to worry about.

SirCool wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 14:37 CET
Hello
if yes,
musically,
Steeve
If you're documenting how you made the music for SWC029 in video form, then I don't have a problem with that. If you create a video (monetize it even) with the samples the community provided, but not create an actual song with this that is not tied to this songwriting game, then it's a bit of a different issue and I'm a bit hesitant on that.

Maybe drop me a PM or mail through the mail form and we can discuss this further - I'd love to know more (incl. your Youtube Channel).

The credits/names of the sample providers are all listed in the bundled TXT.
A Future in Noise

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 21:15 CET

Aside from what "The Exponent" has written, I highly advise you to check out the "Sound Design Tricks" videos in this post. Most notably the ones by Spectrasonics and Andrew Huang, which focus on "pure wavetable synthesis" alone (with no additional Oscillators, only LFO's for modulation). This is why I post this.
In the Surge synth manual you can read (no page number, sorry): "The wave-table oscillator has some interesting sonic characteristics. It outputs the waveform in a stair-stepped fashion, making no attempts to ‘smooth the steps’ in the process, but does so in a manner that is completely band-limited. This makes it similar in sound to 1980s era ..." This indicates a specific oscillator for wavetables, doesn't it? I spend hours and hours trying to read this manual (at the same time I'm studying the 428 page REAPER manual, Wikipedia etcetera (I just recently left Cubase for REAPER) ) - hours I would like to spend on my next composition instaed.

I'm also a member of the Facebook Surge Community - maybe one of the real pros in that group can tell me wether the wavetable itself produces the sound or if it's a combination together with a oscillator, but they haven't yet.

Surge is a free powerfull synth, and I'm not going to spend a lot of money buying something else. (The classic (old) version of ZynAddSubFx is also pretty powerful, wellsounding and free, by the way.)

And, Mr. Fox, I have whatched Andrew Huang and Spectrasonics, but I didn't learn very much from them. Thanks, by the way, for making me try new musical tools. :smile:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Well... the wavetables are probably sliced into "grains" or "chunks" and then interpolated. I seem to remember that a lot of synths do that, unless you go straight up sampling.

Synths are not my field of expertise - others might be more helpful in that field.