2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
The Exponent

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - Winners announced

Post by The Exponent »

Clueless wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 19:48 CET
The Exponent wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 19:02 CET
Clueless wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 18:58 CET
I think you are mistaken :)
I said I had placed you above TJShredder because your production was well done, if you read more into that, then you are simply reading too much into it :shrug:
Aaah! My bad :bang: I thought you implied your own placement :face: I totally forgot that you ranked TJ 2nd. I apologize sincerely :hug:
That's fine :)
I only enter in order to have a reason to make music, nothing more :sing: :phones:
Thanks buddy :hug: I honestly admire your sound design skills, envious even. Hope to hear more of your music soon!
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

It's a little late for submissions - I know. Anyway, I had some good ideas ... I don't know if anybody else used the fan as synth bass, but I did. I also, after three weeks of hard work managed to understand what a wavetable is. I used a little piece of mr. Bowmans recitation of the poem as the soundshaping material. It sounds a little bit like an organ.

I don't know if anybody is interested in listening or commenting. If you don't do that, I'm fine with it. This is merely a sketch - maybe 20 percent of a song.

Clueless

Post by Clueless »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 18:28 CET
It's a little late for submissions - I know. Anyway, I had some good ideas ... I don't know if anybody else used the fan as synth bass, but I did. I also, after three weeks of hard work managed to understand what a wavetable is. I used a little piece of mr. Bowmans recitation of the poem as the soundshaping material. It sounds a little bit like an organ.

I don't know if anybody is interested in listening or commenting. If you don't do that, I'm fine with it. This is merely a sketch - maybe 20 percent of a song.

Hey AFIN,
I have to say, this seems very interesting, the change in the vocal, how did you accomplish this?
Tj Shredder

Post by Tj Shredder »

Clueless wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 07:31 CET
Hey AFIN,
I have to say, this seems very interesting, the change in the vocal, how did you accomplish this?
:hihi:

Its called SBVI (Sound to Brain to Voice Interface) one of the cheapest plugins available, but has a steep learning curve. (Mostly free, though if you pay a teacher it can get as well pricey...; - )
Tj Shredder

Post by Tj Shredder »

Clueless wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:55 CET
Tj Shredder wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:47 CET
Thanks to all and to all comments as well. I feel honoured by the votes and all comments had been helpful even if they reflect that my musical idea was partially not understood at all... 10 points from the Winner though, tells a lot (and thanks for that...)
I always had the feeling there are musicians who serve all people, and musicians who mainly serve musicians (who in turn can serve all people). Stockhausen served the Beatles and Björk for example...
I always want to open doors, but some doors are scary as it seems, and that was my biggest surprise, that my piece created some horror associations - for me it was more on the calm side in the end...;-)
These are good sentiments to hold, my 2nd place rating was based on exponents production chops, that's what swung it, there are countless musicians who inspire and allow others to borrow.
Good artists copy; great artists steal is from some where?
I think it should be
Good artists copy; great artists inspire ;)

:hail:
That does up my mood again by ten points... :hug:

And of course my rating is deserved as it is, I am never really that happy with my own work, I could always polish it for ages. But as for you, it is a good motivation to just do a piece, finish it and leave it...
A Future in Noise

Clueless wrote:
Hey AFIN,
Hi Clueless! I used two periods/waves of the vowel 'ee' in the word 'sweet' - the first 'sweet' in the poem. I can give you a better explanation a little bit later, maybe. I'm a little bit busy right now. (You can have a look at the image (time selection) if you want to.)

A Future in Noise

Clueless wrote:
Hey AFIN,
Or maybe I misunderstood you. What do you mean by "change in the vocal"?
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:15 CET
Clueless wrote:
Hey AFIN,
Sorry, should have been clearer with my question.
The vocal now seems to be sung with an accent change, or is this just me.
I know Leonard spoke with an american accent , now it appears different?
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Tj Shredder wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 CET
Clueless wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:55 CET
Tj Shredder wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:47 CET
Thanks to all and to all comments as well. I feel honoured by the votes and all comments had been helpful even if they reflect that my musical idea was partially not understood at all... 10 points from the Winner though, tells a lot (and thanks for that...)
I always had the feeling there are musicians who serve all people, and musicians who mainly serve musicians (who in turn can serve all people). Stockhausen served the Beatles and Björk for example...
I always want to open doors, but some doors are scary as it seems, and that was my biggest surprise, that my piece created some horror associations - for me it was more on the calm side in the end...;-)
These are good sentiments to hold, my 2nd place rating was based on exponents production chops, that's what swung it, there are countless musicians who inspire and allow others to borrow.
Good artists copy; great artists steal is from some where?
I think it should be
Good artists copy; great artists inspire ;)

:hail:
That does up my mood again by ten points... :hug:

And of course my rating is deserved as it is, I am never really that happy with my own work, I could always polish it for ages. But as for you, it is a good motivation to just do a piece, finish it and leave it...
:D
I try to listen to as much music as possible, not really taken by a lot of the commercial music, apart from Sleaford Mods and a few others.
I like a very diy dirty aesthetic, bit broken, rusty etc, too much clinical sounds to alien :)
I still collect weird things like university band cassettes and Asian music, I have a wonderful collection of Hilife music from Ghana which can take away any negativity :D
I'm a bit :nutter:
A Future in Noise

Clueless wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:57 CET
A Future in Noise wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:15 CET
Clueless wrote:
Hey AFIN,
Sorry, should have been clearer with my question.
The vocal now seems to be sung with an accent change, or is this just me.
I know Leonard spoke with an american accent , now it appears different?
Two different men normally sound different. And there are human beings who are not born in the US.