2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Richard Watashi

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Submissions until 24-03-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Richard Watashi »

Hi! Here is my entry:

L Y R I C S:

"Let me live,
let me die,
let me consume all your mind

Let me kiss,
let me love,
let me stay or leave the time"

Name: SWC031_ ApoAlypt0_ Let Me...
Genre: Chill Out
BPM: 88
DAW: FL Studio

Plugins:
> Fruity Piano
> Stock Ibanez
> Sakura (2x)
> Drummax
> 808 kick from a stock

Effects:
> Parametric EQ2
> Fruity Convoler
> Fruity Delay Bank
> Stock Chorus
> Fast Dist
> Wave Shaper
> Fruity Limiter and Compresor
> Maximus
> Love Philter

Others:
> my whisperings
> White Noise Sample from 999White Noise stack

... I can't remember more > guess the list is complete...

I admitt i started to work on it for the previous round... Han been told it's chill out and not Pop.. I knew it, however. So i leaved the project be - untill i have found that this round's theme is actually Chill Out > what a surprise. So i remaded and remixed it and, here i go. Mister Fox seems ok with this.

I am excited to check your tracks! See ya'll
ollyaudio

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Submissions until 24-03-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by ollyaudio »

I wanted to ask. Do I have to write what I used to create the composition?

I do not remember all the processing plugins. Basically, these are Reaper plugins.
Piano - Neo Piano (Sound magics); Free bank "piano one".
Bass - 'Syntronik' free (ik Multimedia). Combined patch.
Drams is a free library for Kontakt. DrumMic'a (sennheiser)
Guitar - free AGML lite (amplesound)
Pads, textures> Athmos - Zampler/ This is a gift bag of sounds. Zampler Mantra pads (Zampler sounds com)

Background Sound - khs One vst.
This is your own patch.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

No, you don't need to be as detailed
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

Can we please exceed 10 participants again? This would be outstanding!
ollyaudio

Post by ollyaudio »

Writing chillout music is a difficult task. This music conveys emotion. If the theme for the next month suits my partner, then I will invite him to participate in the competition.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

After a 3 months break I finally made some noise. Theme in this round is interesting. So from what I hear and read, important for chill-out is slower tempo and some emotions. Rest can be quite experimental. At first I lost myself in sound design and most of time I spent while creating kind of playable texture out of piano. Then I build track around this texture. Very simple and short track in 90BPM, Cm. Nothing fancy, almost ambient track.

Correlation meter can show some phasing issues with that whispers but I have checked the mix in mono and it sounds good, nothing lost in mono. Don't ask about lyrics. I'm sure that all that is just pure nonsense. Especially that wispers at begining :lol:

Made using FL Studio 20.6
Instruments used:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2x NI The Gaint
1x NI The Grandeur
1x NI Drum Lab
1x OTS Evolution Stratosphere
2x Zero G Ethera 2
1x Heavyocity Damage
1x Heavyocity Gravity Pack 03
1x Eduardo Tarilontes's Shevannai
1x 8Dio Misfits Toy Instruments
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Used Effects:
2x Pro Audio DSP DSM V3
4x Izotope Neutron 3 Equalizer
1x Izotope Nectar 3
1x Izotope Ozone 9 Maximizer
1x VSTzOne Arx One (not released yet :grin:)
5x NI Replika XT
2x NI Raum
2x Unfiltered Audio Triad
1x Unfiltered Audio SpecOps
2x Guitar Rig 5
2x Noveltech Vocal Enhancer
Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -9,1 LUFS
Max short-tem loudness -11,9 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14,2 LUFS
Loudnes range 7,0 LU
True peak L -1.08dB
True peak R -1.05dB
DC offset L 0% (-176.3dB)
DC offset R 0% (-170.8dB)
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

My entry:

Instruments
-------------------------------------------------------
1x Addictive Drums 2
4x Serum
1x Diva
10x Kontakt:
Kontakt Factory Library
Albion One
Metropolis Ark 1
Jazz Horns
Performance Samples Solo Violin Legato
Celestial Voices Ceres
Ceremonial Vocals
Ilya Efimov Acoustic Guitar

Effects
-------------------------------------------------------
TDR VOS Slick EQ
OTT
TR5 Black 76
TR5 White 2A
bx_limiter
bx_subsynth
Fabfilter Pro-Q 3
TB Reelbus
Renaissance Axx
Renaissance Vox
Waves Doubler
Blackhole
Valhalla Vintage Verb
Soundtoys Microshift

Ozone 9
SPAN
Last edited by becsei_gyorgy on Sun May 02, 2021 19:32 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Green-Dog

Post by Green-Dog »

Hi all,

it's my first submission on the SWC. I try to make some music piece on downtempo/trip-hope style. As a basis I took drum-loop which upgraded with Addictive Drums helps. All guitars, basses, shaker and tambourine are recorded by me. I also used Omnisphere for some instruments.

Downloads:
mp3
wav

Effects:
FabFilter Q3
SoundToys
Console SSL E
SSL Comp
AA Gold 3 Commpresor
UAD Pultech
UAD 1176 black
UAD LA-2A
UAD Lexicon 224
Oxford Inflator

Regards
Andrejs
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

Here's my entry:

I was having a lot of crushing migraines back in January, and started to write this song for something relaxing to do. I gave up working on it when I figured out what was causing the headaches (too much coffee :hyper: ), and forgot about it until I checked the theme of this month's contest. I ended up putting in a ton more hours redoing the middle section, adding more pads, and mixing.

A "relaxed problem" in programmer/math-speak (where I get most of my song titles) is a simpler approximation of a more difficult problem, which is used to help you solve the original problem.

Instruments:
AIR Hybrid
Fluffy Audio Aurora
Korg Wavestation (VST)
NI The Giant Piano
NI FM8
OTS Dracus (via keyboard and guitar w/ MIDI pickup)
Impact Soundworks Shreddage II SRP (via keyboard)
NI Guitar Rig
Embertone Joshua Bell Violin Essential
Mimi Page Light & Shadow
IK MODO Bass
NI Drumlab
NI Battery 4
EastWest StormDrum 2

Effects:
NI Replika
Eventide Quadravox
Eventide SP2016 reverb
Valhalla Room reverb
Izotope Neutron 2
Izotope Ozone 8
Leonard Bowman

SWC031 March 2020

Post by Leonard Bowman »

I'm back. I have a soft spot for the lo-fi aesthetic and a little more time this month so I worked up a tune for this challenge.

introducing: Moonlight

I would be happy to detail all of the processing done in this track and provide the project files if someone is interested, but to save space I'll just cover the big topics here.
  • The poem in the middle is part of "To The Moon" by Giacomo Leopardi, as read by three Librivox volunteers. These recordings are in the public domain and can be found here
  • The photo was taken by Lauren Coleman. It is licensed under a CC0 license, and you can find it here
  • All of the singing was done by me. Most of it has been formant shifted through ReaPitch.
  • The drums come from some of my favorite free sample sets played through Grace, plus aux sounds I recorded.
  • The melodic sounds except vibraphone are made with free synths, primarily Surge.
  • The vibraphone which comes from the University of Iowa MIS, which i sampled through MSoundFactory. You can get the same sound out of VibroMaster.
  • There is a lot of processing but most of it comes from Cocoa Delay, ReaEQ, Airwindows Derez2, and Dragonfly Reverbs.
  • The middle section is tuned to Orwell[22]. Please don't complain that it is out of tune. I already know, and I rather like the way it sounds.
and yes, all of the noise and unusual sounds are intentional.