2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Tj Shredder

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Submissions until 24-03-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Tj Shredder »

This is my track. Listen to it softly and more in the background. Good for all kinds of meditation.

Its recorded with Tibetan bowls, bells and glasses into my Ondes Memorielles (a Max patch). Then assembled in Bitwig. No FX at all..
canese

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Submissions until 24-03-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by canese »

Hello again! I've been hearing your entries and this month is going to be rough. Excellent songs overall.

I love chill music in general but always made more EDM kind of vibes. This time I wanted to try another genre I really like, Lo-Fi Hip hop. Have a listen, it won't take you more than 2 mins. Hope you like the A E S T H E T I C S :hihi:

mp3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsrcwfnazulen ... w.mp3?dl=0

Track was made in FL Studio. Drum samples are from a sample pack called "cozy winter" stacked with natural drum sounds. Apart from EQ, efects were distortion for the kick, a transient shaper for the clap to make it more lush, and hihats have delay. In drum bus I added eq and reverb to glue them together.

THe piano has 3 layers, 1 from Fl Studio stock piano, another preset from NI Massive and a honky piano form Nexus. I added a delay and a filter with LFO, reverb and chorus in parallel.

The Brass hits are layers of: Fl Studio rhodes piano, a sound made in Massive and a brass sample I found in my folders. This has a lot of effects, mainly distortions, delays, compression, eq. Was hard to find the sound on this.

Bass is from Sakura Synthetiser layered with a MODO bass preset and Fl Studio stock bass. Bus has a little compression, distortion and detuning for more chilling vibes.

Track has many folley samples like vinyl scratches, pops and sounds. Also vocal chops and instruments buried in the mix just to give ear candy.

Thanks for reading and listening!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th March 2020, 0:30am GMT+1/CET - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

First and foremost, welcome back to all old regulars, and a very warm "hello and welcome" to all KVRians. Additionally, thank you all so so much for participating. This month, we exceeded 10 participants again (you have no idea how happy this makes me - can we please see that every month?). In fact...

We had 16 participants overall, which is 14 entries more compared to last month (2 entries), and 3 more compared to last year (13 entries).
The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does not apply. (3-position Winners Podium)

There was 1 production submitted after the deadline (else we'd have 17 entries)
No (number: 0) entry has been disqualified
No (number: 0) entry has been redacted

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours, I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. So please, check your links again. Mistakes and hiccups do happen on the internet. We then perform with the "public vote" system.

We have 16 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 15 tracks, the staff will will not cast a balance vote.

Keep in mind of the overhaul of the Rules and Guidelines. As long as we're not exceeding 20 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 20 list can look something like this:
01 (15 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (14 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (13 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (12 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (11 pts) - ...

How your voting could look like, please take a look at these posts (sans the super technical information):
viewtopic.php?p=2311#p2311
viewtopic.php?p=2478#p2478
viewtopic.php?p=2819#p2819
viewtopic.php?p=3522#p3522

It is also recommended to cast your vote in collective form through the "spoiler text" BBcode:

Code: Select all

[spoil]01 participant
02 participant
03 participant[/spoil]
Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines (on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, failing to do so results in a disqualification).

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that do sadly not count for the current running game. Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
YuriyKolosov

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - preparation phase

Post by YuriyKolosov »

Here's my song:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1beAXU2 ... sp=sharing

Used Dune 3 for the main synth parts and Synth1 and Audjoo Helix for the outro synth parts. Samples used are from FL Studio pack and some free samples I've collected over the years. FX used: Tal Reverb 3, Tal Dub 3, Voxendo OldSkoolVerb plus some filters and EQs, nothing fancy.
Last edited by YuriyKolosov on Wed Mar 25, 2020 01:11 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Voting until 01-APR-2020 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Wednesday, 01-APR-2020 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

ollyaudio wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 00:44 CET
"Glass birds. Outro"

mp3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LylcY ... 6ClRYDhD0Q
WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ozkgm ... TG-KocgH1e

WARNING: SoundCloud file download not named properly
Additional SoundCloud upload with proper naming: can be found here (provided on 25-MAR-2020)
TrojakEW wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 16:30 CET
"Alone Together"

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:10 CET
"Madre Tierra"

Green-Dog wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 15:59 CET
"Margarita Tells Gossip"

Downloads:
mp3
wav

INFO: SoundCloud file was not possible to download up until 25th March
gruskada wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 04:36 CET
"Relaxed Problem"

Leonard Bowman wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 17:50 CET
"Moonlight"

Doc Jon wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 23:57 CET
"Back To Bird"

SimaGT wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 13:15 CET
"BadChick"

ontrackp wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 04:59 CET
"Chillout"

INFO: Updated version with permission by the staff
Olli H wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:32 CET
"Once I Knew What I Was Searching For"

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hDj8z ... h97NPXmZds
VCA-089 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 18:17 CET
"Carried Away"

FLAC: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PtASh ... e9qbcWmJxT
MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a8zFR ... z_qP-XmHQO

INFO: Soundcloud reupload on 26th March
MarkS wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 22:21 CET
"Late Night"

wav: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ytz3n3ui0s6c ... t.WAV?dl=0
Tj Shredder wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 23:08 CET
"Holy Metal Music"

canese wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 23:15 CET
"Filow"

mp3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsrcwfnazulen ... w.mp3?dl=0

J I L L I A M wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 09:31 CET
"Let Me..."

INFO: entry sadly redacted on 30th March

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - you can not vote for it, but feel free to give feedback)
YuriyKolosov wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 00:58 CET
"Then they find us"

wav: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1beAXU2 ... sp=sharing

Please consult the last post of how your vote could look like (which links to more sources). And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the forum usernames in your listing. Thank you!

To make it easier on yourself, and more helpful for each participant, maybe focus on the overall production value. What you really liked with the song, what you'd like to see improved, etc.

SWC031 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) and casting your vote is mandatory, else you will be disqualified. Please also keep the new game mechanics in mind.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Voting until 01-APR-2020 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Please take note of the following announcement:
 ! Bonus Info
New Rule Addition - Bonus Point Mechanic

As of this post, on top of the 2 additional points to acquire (see here), you can now acquire:
  • 1 bonus point for properly naming your files and making them downloadable by the time the deadline has ended, or up until the "submission summary" has been collected and posted

I am fully aware that I am introducing it this after the current game has ended. Not to mention that I will, in fact, also take this into account for the overall score sheet at the end of the voting process. But the reason for this sudden move: this is a recurring issue that I have to point out over and over.

I am making backups of all entries every month (mainly for sourcing possible material for a future Mix Challenge), and it's highly frustrating to triple check as to what entry belongs to whom, or rename it accordingly. The rules have been well established, and were streamlined for SWC031 as well (see the first post). I won't make any distinction between SoundCloud, or direct downloads (WAV/MP3/FLAC) - all files should be easy to assign to the participant in question.

For SWC032/April, don't let this bonus point go to waste and please check if your uploads are properly named (especially to SoundCloud).
ollyaudio

Post by ollyaudio »

I can upload audio with a title. But then the link is lost. With the correct name, files on google drive.

I uploaded the file additionally.
https://soundcloud.com/user-765307497/s ... birdsoutro
ollyaudio

Post by ollyaudio »

I will be brief. I do not know much English.
► Show Spoiler

canese - The composition has a catchy, beautiful sound.
gruskada - This is exactly the chillout I was waiting for.
Green-Dog - The music turned out to be very hollow. she is relaxing. It's great.
TrojakEW - Good interweaving in music of ethnic motives.
Leonard Bowman - Very good composition. I was alerted to the Chillout experiments.
becsei_gyorgy - Good music. Vocal parts seemed to me superfluous.
SimaGT - Good ambient. But the song is more suitable for pop music.
JILLIAM - It seemed to me a somewhat sharp sound.
VCA-089 - Good design, but no development of composition. I expected changes, but they were not.
erictracks - The composition turned out well. It seemed to me that there was little air in it. She did not sink.
ontrackp - For instrumental music is very good. I did not recognize the mood of the composition.
Doc Jon - Great reggae. But this is not a chillout.
Olli H - If it was a soundtrack, the track would be highly appreciated.
Tj Shredder - This is experimental music. No compositional development.
MarkS - Everything is the same. In a minimalist arrangement, it’s good to change tones or use different effects.
Last edited by ollyaudio on Thu Mar 26, 2020 07:04 CET, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I don't want to go into your post and edit things, as this would remove the capability for you to edit your post at a later state.

But could you please wrap the results in the "Spoiler Code"?

It's written like this:

Code: Select all

[spoil]
01 participant
02 participant
03 participant
[/spoil]
Or whichever naming convention you want to go for. Thank you
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

Please, update my soundcloud links in the main post. I've re-uploaded my SC file because of wierd people who added fake plays on my track.