2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
YuriyKolosov

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Voting until 01-APR-2020 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by YuriyKolosov »

TrojakEW wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 13:44 CEST
YuriyKolosov wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:33 CEST
What are your thoughts? Could you share your approach to dealing with phase or maybe a good source of information on the topic?
I think most problematic are sampled/sample libraries and instruments regarding phase. If you are using synth you can always easily tweak the sound. Samples on other hand are baked with those problems.
Thanks!
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Voting until 01-APR-2020 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by TrojakEW »

YuriyKolosov wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:33 CEST
What are your thoughts? Could you share your approach to dealing with phase or maybe a good source of information on the topic?
Hi again. I have make some test with your track and analyze it more. Have done some changes to fix phase issues without affecting stage.

Mono compatibility is not important only when using headphones. Otherwise even on stereo speakers there is point when left and right channel are summed based on how your room is treated, on position of your head and so on. So canceling will occur even on stereo system if you have problems in track.

I found the most problematic part you have is low and low-mid frequencies. For lows I use left channel since it look it hold more energy. For the rest I simply said I made some mixture of mono version of selected freq range with original until needed. Since I have to make stage more narrow to get rid of phasing problems I then compensate the stage by EQ. Taming some low and mid frequencies and add some sparkle to high. this make kind of more space to stage without need to use any widening effect. Best will be do deal with mono compatibility on instrument level first.

Here is edited version of track
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M6VB3 ... 7F8SAbCGkh

I use Ozone 9 imager to analyze since it have very nice correlation meter in time.

Also video showing some stuff. Video is set to unlisted so only people that have link can see it. Will remove it later when you watched it.
phpBB [media]

Made some typo in video. wow instead of now. :grin:
ollyaudio

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - results in preparation

Post by ollyaudio »

to fix the phase you can use such a bunch of plugins.
1 M/S paramertic EQ (R-Racks classic Eq ....)
2 Voxengo Correlometr

With this technique, you will correct the phase only where there is a problem. This does not destroy the stereo mix width.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zsRbW ... DQqtgJScOM
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:43 CEST
little flick: I thought there was no worse voting mechanism than the Eurovision Song Contest. I realized I was wrong :help:
There may be some problems, but please remember, at the same time (to quote loosely Gottfried Leibniz), the current voting systems is the best of all possible voting systems, at least almost.

Each vote is transparent and the voter has to give arguments to his/her views.
Each voter has to participate with his own work which adds a nice credibility to his/her views and words.
In the long run one has no other chance than to be honest and humble with one’s votes.

I have participated quite many competitions, and so far this method has proven to be the best.

Maybe someday - as the forum software develops - we can have a delayed publication of votes, so that each and every vote+comments are published at the same moment. But meanwhile, I respect highly current method.
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Olli H wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 16:35 CEST

Maybe someday - as the forum software develops
The software has been under development since June 2000. Maybe I'll be Grandpa when this feature will be included :smile:
Olli H wrote:
- we can have a delayed publication of votes, so that each and every vote+comments are published at the same moment.
That would be ideal. But if we were to separate the process and time of voting and commenting, that would be enough.
There are great and free online poll and voting systems.

Perhaps it would also be easier to vote and there would be no misunderstandings, etc. as now.
And as I wrote, good solutions will only be outside of the engine of this forum.
Olli H wrote:
But meanwhile, I respect highly current method.
I highly respect the voluntary work of the owner and I didn't want to offend nobody with my comment. :whiteflag:
But why not make this competition better and more attractive to others?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 17:21 CEST
That would be ideal. But if we were to separate the process and time of voting and commenting, that would be enough.
There are great and free online poll and voting systems.

Perhaps it would also be easier to vote and there would be no misunderstandings, etc. as now.
And as I wrote, good solutions will only be outside of the engine of this forum.
I've answered this topic ad nauseam in the following post over in the Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread:
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 4146#p4146

And if this needs further commenting, I'd love to keep it there.

Other than that... good news.
I've finally got all votes in. I'll post the results later today.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC031 March 2020 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 31

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @TrojakEW (162 pts)
  2. @Green-Dog (156 pts)
  3. @canese (153 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have 2 disqualifications (1 submission after the deadline, 1 entry redacted)
We have 0 votes after the deadline
We have 2 users that tied (MarkS has 1x13pt, 1x12pt -- Tj Shredder has 0x13pt, 1x12pt -- MarkS therefore scores higher)
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does not apply - 3-position Winners Podium

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Well done to all the winners :hail:

Many thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on my track, all gratefully received and very useful, have already done a new mix using your ideas and advice
Have now slapped a comprehensive metering system onto my master bus to keep an eye on those loudness levels for next time!!
Jon :smile:
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Thank you all for listening and your suggestions and opinion. There is no winner or looser here. Regarding prize I already have your thoughts and that is the best thing ever, so I'll passing baton to Green-Dog.

There is one thing I need to say regarding one track. Track that I really like but my vote doesn't prove it. Holy Metal Music by Tj Shredder. It is unpolished diamond. Great but not finished especially regarding that unpleasant resonations that ruin otherwise interesting and inspiring work.
Green-Dog

Post by Green-Dog »

Hi everyone,

first of all I want to thank all participants for great time. It was my first time participating in songwriting competition and I got a lot of fun. See you next time!

I choose Saurus 2

Regards
Andrejs