2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC032 April 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC032 April 2020 - Submissions until 24-04-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Doc Jon »

Ran out of time this month so not quite as finished as I would like it to be, still some tidying up of some artifacts in the transposed vocals left to do but will not get that done now until after the competition ends
Have done a typical 80s style track as it was the decade in which I bought my first electronic keyboard (Casio CZ101 :hihi: )

Cubase Pro
Stock EQ, delay, modulation effects, reverb

VSTs
iZotope BreakTweaker
Halion Sonic SE
FabFilter Twin 2
Synapse Audio Dune 2
Steinberg Virtual Guitarist
Steinberg Padshop
Korg MonoPoly
Arturia SEM

Fx
Soundtoys Little Alter Boy
Soundtoys Microshift
iZotope Nectar 3
Various IK T-RackS plugins
FabFilter Saturn
FabFilter Timeless 2
iZotope Ozone 8

T-RackS metering LUFS -14.1

Using 4 samples of the word 'Hey' from Freesound.org
pandora huuto2.wav by jukkis111 | License: Creative Commons 0
Men Shouting Hey.wav by Jace | License: Attribution
Crowd Chanting HEY by pipjmalt | License: Attribution
Trap_Hey by SVProducties | License: Creative Commons 0

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC032 April 2020 - Submissions until 24-04-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the last 24 hours of submitting your production.

Looking forward to listening to your entries :phones:
Caught with Candy

Post by Caught with Candy »

Hi everyone. I'm new here ... so hi :)
These comps look like fun. Definitely going to be a regular!

Here's a submission finished in the last hour.

Some of the stuff used:
Logic X
Superior Drummer 3
Gothan Lead synth
Rhodes
A couple of Logic synths
THU guitar amps
Soundtoys effects
Waves mix plugins

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wipkakak24cni ... s.mp3?dl=0
Green-Dog

Post by Green-Dog »

Hi!
This month a little collaboration with my wife (she was singing).
I've always wanted write some song darkwave style and finally I did it. For song creation I have used some drum samples from Splice, Omnisphere for percosive synth and Iris 2 for pad sound. All the rest like guitar, bass, claps and tambourines I recorded live.
Here is the lyrics:

Trap and Trigger

All naughty people are hiding secrets in their bag
What is on your mind? Are you good or really bad?
Since one week or two you've been playing with your mind
What have you found? What is hiding deep inside

I see your finger on the trigger
You make the trap a little bigger

Counting the days till you catch another lovely sight
You hide you disgrace and your nature deep inside
If they could see all your tricks and filthy double face
You'll be the one to burn or isolate

Hope you will like it.

Regards
Andrejs

P.S. I even changed the strings for the first time in two years!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC032 April 2020 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th April 2020, 5:00 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

First and foremost, once more a very warm "hello and welcome" to all new participants. I hope you enjoy your stay. This month, we almost made it to 10 participants. In fact...

We had 9 participants overall, which is 7 entries less compared to last month (16 entries), and 3 less compared to last year (12 entries).
The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does not apply. (3-position Winners Podium)

There was no (number: 0) production submitted after the deadline
No (number: 0) entry has been disqualified
No (number: 0) entry has been redacted

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours, I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that they're downloadable. We then perform with the "public vote" system.

We have 9 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 8 tracks, the staff will will not cast a balance vote.

Keep in mind of the overhaul of the Rules and Guidelines. As long as we're not exceeding 20 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 20 list can look something like this:
01 (9 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (8 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (7 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (6 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (5 pts) - ...

How your voting could look like, please take a look at these posts (sans the super technical information):
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 2311#p2311
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 2478#p2478
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 2819#p2819
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 3522#p3522

Please cast your vote in collective form through the "spoiler text" BBcode:

Code: Select all

[spoil]01 participant
02 participant
03 participant[/spoil]
Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines (on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, failing to do so results in a disqualification). Due to the nature of this month's "free to select" genre, maybe have a bit more focus on giving feedback on how one might improve their songwriting or overall sound.

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that do sadly not count for the current running game. Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC032 April 2020 - Voting until 01-MAY-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Friday, 01-MAY-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

GmfSongs wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 18:45 CEST
Song Title: "Shadow to a Stone"

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s10l4wkpwt9zw ... e.wav?dl=0
J I L L I A M wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 06:30 CEST
Song Title: "Deprivator"

TrojakEW wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 09:35 CEST
Song Title: "Brand New World"

gruskada wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 17:31 CEST
Song Title: "Parallel For"

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 14:04 CEST
Song Title: "SOS Space Cowboy"

Olli H wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 13:53 CEST
Song Title: "Red-Haired Stranger"

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iCJh6 ... DwfUx_pgb1
Doc Jon wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 01:18 CEST
Song Title: "Everything Will Be Alright"

Caught with Candy wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 13:05 CEST
Song Title: "Missing Pieces"

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wipkakak24cni ... s.mp3?dl=0

INFO: SoundCloud version can not be downloaded
Green-Dog wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 16:25 CEST
Song Title: "Trap and Trigger"

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - you can not vote for it, but feel free to give feedback)
A Future in Noise wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 16:51 CEST
Song Title: "Floods of Spirit"

Kompoz Stream: https://www.kompoz.com/music/collaborat ... /1008352/3

INFO: production can not be downloaded without Kompoz account

Please consult the last post of how your vote could look like (which links to more sources). And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the forum usernames in your listing. Thank you!

To make it easier on yourself, and more helpful for each participant, maybe focus on the overall production value. What you really liked with the song, what you'd like to see improved, is there something you could add to the mix/overall sound, etc. I know that it is not easy to compared productions if the genre is "Free to Select".

SWC032 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) and casting your vote is mandatory, else you will be disqualified. Please also keep the bonus point game mechanic in mind.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:
Olli H

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC032 April 2020 - Voting until 01-MAY-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Olli H »

Overall, very good submissions. It's so damn unfair process to try to make a justified order for so different tracks with values in so different aspects. Especially as I feel you're more talented than me.

But ok, here's my comments from a perspective of an old fart who doesn't have a needed competence for modern productions.

I made quick evaluations from the point of view of personal preference on these areas giving 1-5 points to each of them.
- Song: melody, rhythmic choices and progression
- Arrangement
- Other values: performance, mix, sound, recording, personal likings etc,

===========

CaughtWithCandy: MissingPieces

The opening of this song definitively sounds good.
Energy level and arrangement and vocals go together very well
I like that main double guitar riff (for example 0:46)

The song is developing nicely towards something, but for some reason I feel that "the something" or "the main part" never comes. Around 1:30 my concentration starts to wander. I guess at that moment the promise of the great opening should be redeemed.

I like the mix very much. I feel it's balanced and sonically interesting.

Song: 4
Arrangement: 5
Other values: 4

===========

Green-Dog: trap_and_trigger

Great promising opening
Vocals could come in more boldly. Now it feels that spacious guitars take the focus away from the singer.
1:30 starts the chorus, absolutely great, maybe the best part of this competition. That's effective and weird!
Nice abrupt ending. It works fine with lyrics.

I like the spacious sound, but overall I feel the sound field is too distant. Maybe some element in some part of the song could be closer to listener in sound field. It would create more 3d feeling and emphasize the space created by guitars and drums. For example I might try to bring the chorus vox closer to listener with stronger stereo effect. Or verse vox could be closer, and chorus vox big and wild in the room.
Otherwise I feel the mix is great

Song: 5

===========

TrojakEW: Brand_New_World

Opening sounds like a record. Great coherent arrangement. It's like a music track to some Disney's jungle movie's scene. You certainly know your tools and your stuff. I've nothing to add on that area.

That rhythmical part is very interesting. Like a punch of animals creating together some sort jungle message.

But that said, I'm missing the main melody line. As if the instruments are improvising around the main theme that was presented in some other scene of the movie. Or maybe the main melody line is too complicated.

So, I feel that I would like to watch the scene again, but no melody is left in my memory. Maybe that's the way it should happen with film music, but - as you may have noticed from my comments in this forum - personally I emphasize (maybe too much) the importance of melody line.

Song: 3

===========

DocJon: EverythingWillBeAlright

Definitively a perfect 80's disco. You surely have a skill for songs with positive and naive mood. Love it.

Opening simple but perfect.
Very catchy verses.
PreChorus could have been more different from verse. Maybe a stronger change in arrangement. But those "hey" shouts come in perfectly.
Chorus ok, but I waited it to be a bit stronger.

Bass line and sound very 80's
Guitar riffs just right in place

Mixing is quite coherent. Balances were fine all through. But what the mixing lacks are well thought transitions from song part to another. Something that would stress the opening of a new part. Something that marks a change in an energy level. For example a slightly different snare sound to prechorus etc.

Song: 5
Arrangement: 4

===========

J I L L I A M/RichardWatashi: Deprivator

This one was difficult for me. Hard to locate it. As always, you really challenge the listener.

Very strong but simple main idea. I like that unexpected syncopated melodic emphasis points. Combined with that pumping synth, it's simple and scary. It goes quite deeply on the emotional level. I get lots of images in my head. I'm in cellar, tight to my chair, nobody hears me... Strong stuff.

But I think the song needs to have also different parts, so that musically it can come back to that weird and strong main idea. It could be some "nice memory" or "hope lurking" somewhere, and then go back to that scary part. So musically I'm looking for the "now-it-starts-again" -experience. You should certainly develop this. You have a weird gem here, and it deserves to be taken to the next level.

Mix is not optimal yet, it lacks both the hi and low end. Maybe with purpose.

Other values: 3

===========

gruskada: ParallelFor

Very good opening. Cool arrangement.

I like your attitude: "The biggest limitation I put on myself was not using guitar at all." So you did this without your stronger tools. But in this month's submission it can be also heard, that you're a bit uncertain with your moves. Now the production lacks bolder and stronger ideas that I've heard in your submission before. It can be heard in performance that you're skating on a thin ice.

Melody lines are a bit unclear or vague to me. Maybe there's a great melody line there, but those synths don't deliver the musical idea properly to me yet. If your performance had had singing and lyrics, situation might change immediately. But as this is instrumental, there should be stronger or clearer hooks in melody line. As the song finishes I remember only the cool main groove, but not at all the melody.

As you're skilled guitarist it might have been a good idea to play those melody lines with guitar, and then convert them to midi for synth. Or trick what I use quite often: I sing the melody ("de-dee-dee"), convert it to midi, and then I use the timing and velocity from that (but I always have to make lots of pitch correction moves).

1:06 bands playing is a bit jammed. From the start to that point drummer did his job very well, but in that point he loses the grip. Also, somehow those toms come from totally different world. Otherwise the drums are very organic, but toms are over-synthetic when compare to otherwise natural sound of drums.

If you plan to develop this, listening Toto's "Africa" might give you some ideas.

Song: 2
Other values: 2

===========

GmfSongs: ShadowToAStone

As a song this is great. Not much melody here, but in this case it don't bother me. With human voice and lyrics I feel it don't necesessrily need to have more complicated lines. Vocal parts manages to keep the focus in them the way they are now.

Main part is just built around two chords (?). Cool! Overall feeling brings to my mind the band "Eels", which I like very much.

I like the minimalistic arrangement. I end up listening the song and forget to analyze it. I guess that's the way it should be.

Instrumental part brings nice variation, it takes me some other place, but after that I'm disappointed as the songs goes back to the same stuff with the same sound as earlier. I expect to hear something new with vocal lines: instrumental part brought in something new to the scene, and hero on the stage should react to it.

Mix is not optimal yet. If I were to mix this, I would take guidance from some Eels' song to make it sound polished but still lo-fi in a correct way.
Low end is now uncontrolled. Kick is too loose. Snare sound feels wrong to me.
Some dynamic changes are maybe too big (1:55). Actually the frequency balance is better around here than in vocal parts but loudness change was probably too big.

Other values: 3

===========

becsei_gyorgy: SOS_Space_Cowboy

Very cinematic modern sounding opening.
Beat comes in: Cool rhythm. Very promising start.

But when the melody starts, it takes me to Boney M style 70's disco. Somehow it distracts me as it doesn't match the opening.

You've great talent, but this time not so much points from me. I try to elaborate.

Overall, the more I listen, the more song starts to feel a bit incoherent. I can hear that you have a great skills for music and nuances, but this time it feels to me that you tried too much, and lost the focus from a big picture. You created lots of nice and very well done ideas, but somehow they don't make up together a solid one song.

As the songs goes on I'm having difficulties to differentiate parts from each other in my memory. Maybe there's happening too much all the time on the effect side, so catchy lines underneath are masked. Or maybe the melody lines are not strong enough but are overshadowed by well done effects and tricks. It's hard for me to pinpoint the problem that I'm hearing.

Maybe if you had clear vocal line here, then applied all your tricks in relation to that, I guess all those problems might disappear, and this could be a winner. I mentioned the Boney M. If you listen it, there's lot of small nuances and tricks, but they never distract from the main melody line, which comes through perfectly all the time.

Song: 3
Arrangement: 3

========
► Show Spoiler
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

I know this is much too late. This happens much too often, that I don't have time to finish my entries.

So I don't participate in the competition. Maybe someone else still has some kind of opinion about this song (more than half finished). Or maybe not. Anyway, I have used four synths, and the PG-8X was a pleasant surprise.

And also, I'm not sure if everybody is familiar with the site Kompoz. I don't think it's to be looked upon as a competitor with Mix-Challenge.

https://www.kompoz.com/music/collaborat ... /1008352/3
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Olli H wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:13 CEST
But that said, I'm missing the main melody line. As if the instruments are improvising around the main theme that was presented in some other scene of the movie. Or maybe the main melody line is too complicated.
Yes it is always about user preferences. I do not like much too repetitive melody. Most annoying are trap tracks that use just one chord and the same 3 or 4 note melody played for few minutes over and over. Yes it is very easy to remember such a thing.
Olli H wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:13 CEST
So, I feel that I would like to watch the scene again, but no melody is left in my memory. Maybe that's the way it should happen with film music, but - as you may have noticed from my comments in this forum - personally I emphasize (maybe too much) the importance of melody line.
Most people expect usual form of composition used in pop music these days and that is Strophic form. But you must not forget that there are other forms as well like through-composed or binary form and so on. Not every music should be the same thing over and over. Take for example Stargate movie theme "created" by David Arnold. You can hear the same exactly same pattern in Bruckner Symphony No.7. Only Arnold created whole track around this repeating pattern while Bruckner piece is like hundreds different pattern in one track. You can easily miss that "stargate" pattern in his Symphony because it is almost like it have no theme and there is too much stuff in there. Not easy to remember but you will get pleasantly surprised everytime you play it.

But as I said before it is matter of user preferences. Was I able to use through-composed form for melody? Not a chance but I'm trying to do something different.

Thanks for your feedback. :tu:
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

TrojakEW wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 18:04 CEST
Most people expect usual form of composition used in pop music these days and that is Strophic form. But you must not forget that there are other forms as well like through-composed or binary form and so on. Not every music should be the same thing over and over. Take for example Stargate movie theme "created" by David Arnold. You can hear the same exactly same pattern in Bruckner Symphony No.7. Only Arnold created whole track around this repeating pattern while Bruckner piece is like hundreds different pattern in one track. You can easily miss that "stargate" pattern in his Symphony because it is almost like it have no theme and there is too much stuff in there. Not easy to remember but you will get pleasantly surprised everytime you play it.
No doubt you’re right with that. Like I said, I don’t have a needed competence for modern productions. Even less I pretend to understand classical compositions. But, if I am to vote and give honest comments to others, I have no other choice than to use my limited ”song”-perspective.

On the other hand, isn't this a songwriting competition? Wikipedia: "A song is a musical composition intended to be vocally performed by the human voice". So, I guess it’s not totally wrong to evaluate submissions ALSO from the point of view of melody lines that can be hummed in mind.