2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC032 April 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Richard Watashi

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC032 April 2020 - Submissions until 24-04-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Richard Watashi »

Hi!

Sorry for quitting on around half of the time of the last round, i was angry and frustrated on myself like always and, quit music production... well, again in my life. My reasons are that i hate myself and my life, to be honest and, i also hate everyone - because of it.. I still don't want to continue producing and i am selling my hardware that i bought (Key and Controller by KORG and my Microphone). But i came up with this extremelly minimal thing, that i found likeable and i said, why not to put it here? I am not going to put it off within the timeline of the competition, and i am apologizing.

Ok, so - here i go:

Song Title - Deprivator
Genre - Minimal/Experimental/Chill
DAW: FL Studio

Plugins:
Fruity Piano
Harmless - once
Harmless - second time
Drumpad

FX'ses:
Fruity::::
- Reverb 2
- Delay Bank
- Compressor
Gross Beat
Parametric EQ2
Maximus
Love Philter
Transient Processor
Fast Dist
(i guess its all)

Noises:
8-bit videogame free sample i downloaded and canť remember when

The voice:
Is a chopped, and resampled phrase of one of my favorite singers and actors - Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

ADMIN EDIT: removed textblock on possible self-harm
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC032 April 2020 - Submissions until 24-04-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

I've just edited your post, JILLIAM and removed a text passage. I've reached out to you via PM and actually also talked about this in public. If you need a break, please take a break. You're not forced to join the games.

But where I draw a distinct line, is if people talk about self harm, or any form of it. Which is why I've removed this particular paragraph (which might sadly also result in you not being able to edit your post - this is an engine problem, I can't evade that).

⚠ Warning Message from Mister Fox  
This is my one and only warning

I am not taking any comment on self-harm lightly. If you consider going that route, please reach out to local institutions and get some help immediately.

Should I encounter this behavior or form of commentary again, your (plural - doesn't matter which forum user) privileges on this forum will be removed and your account deactivated.
NERVA-1

Post by NERVA-1 »

Hey guys! Some of you know me as ANTHEMIC, I have recently undergone a name change, but would still like to participate. Those who followed me on SoundCloud can now reach me at https://SoundCloud.com/user-748114816

Thanx to the admins for having me back, I plan to submit an entry once I find a theme I won’t fall off of.

-NERVA (formally ANTHEMIC)
Richard Watashi

Post by Richard Watashi »

yea, i remember you. welcome back" :wink:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

Can we exceed 15 entries this month again? :thinking:
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

So my goal was to make track similar to music from movies from eighties but with modern touch. So I blend synth sounds with organic percussions and some elements that are used mostly in modern soundtracks. Regarding this month theme my track is suppose to be a synonym. Wherever you are or you are going, whatever you are doing there is always something new and exciting to explore.

I choose Fathom synth to do most of main elements in track. After a while I decided to swap two instances with kontakt sampled synths because Fathom can eat my computer for breakfast. So I do that just to save some CPU. Even now in some part CPU usage is at 100% in this track. Main elements for track are made by me in Fathom (sparkly effect & drone pad in intro, main brassy lead, sub hit with low brass and additional melodic rhythm). Since in last round few people doesn't like when there is a nonsense speak in track I decide to go just for ahh vowel for singing. I also use FLstudio speech generator to synthesize word - Exciting. That sample was then loaded and mangled in NI Form, especially for legato/portamento effect between syllables. Added VocalSynth on fx buss to bring even more kind of vocoder effect to that already weird synthesized word.

I drowned all those synthesized sounds in ocean of percussions. Mix of synthesized percussions rhythm made in floppytron and analog drum machine kit together with organic kit from Heavyocity Damage. Percussion patterns are not 100% quantized so sometimes it can sounds little bit off but it is on purpose. I never do super quantized percussison in order to leave that human like touch.

Made using FL Studio 20.6
Instruments used:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5x Fathom Synth by Seaweed Audio
1x NI Form (Reaktor)
1x Era Vocal Codex (Engine)
2x Heavyocity Damage (Kontakt)
2x Floppytron (Kontakt)
1x 8Dio V8P Extreme Drum Machine Ensemble (Kontakt)
1x 8Dio V8P Extreme Analog Synth Ensemble (Kontakt)
1x Output Analog brass & winds (Kontakt)
1x NI Rise & Hit (Kontakt)
Sea (Waves 2) and Birds Ambience Loud samples field recordings from Doc Jon https://soundcloud.com/docjon (wav)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Used Effects:
7x VSTzOne Arx One
6x Izotope Neutron 3 Equalizer
4x Guitar Rig 5
3x Noveltech Vocal Enhancer
2x NI Raum
2x Unfiltered Audio Triad
1x Pro Audio DSP DSM V3
1x Izotope Neutron 3
1x Izotope VocalSynth 2
1x Izotope Ozone 9 Advanced
1x NI Replika XT
1x Fruity Balance
1x Fruity Parametric EQ 2
1x IL Distructor
Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -9,2 LUFS
Max short-tem loudness -11,2 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14,1 LUFS
Loudness range 4,8 LU
True peak L -1.04dB
True peak R -1.00dB
DC offset L 0% (-195.4dB)
DC offset R 0% (-171.9dB)
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

NERVA-1 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 01:22 CEST
Hey guys! Some of you know me as ANTHEMIC, I have recently undergone a name change, but would still like to participate. Those who followed me on SoundCloud can now reach me at https://SoundCloud.com/user-748114816

Thanx to the admins for having me back, I plan to submit an entry once I find a theme I won’t fall off of.

-NERVA (formally ANTHEMIC)
I just gave a listen to your tracks and found one that i Like very much - Convex. Very cool one. :tu:
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

I always wanted to write an 80's-style song, but was quite intimidated by the thought of it, since it's not anything like my personal style (though I really love 80's music). I wanted to make it sound like it could be on the soundtrack to an 80's film (which to me is having a strong bold melody, lots of positive vibes, sequenced bass, bold drums, and interesting synths). I was going nowhere with it for a few days, then I woke up with the main melody in my head, which rarely happens.

The biggest limitation I put on myself was not using guitar at all. I don't think I've written a song in the past 15 years without guitar in it (aside from my orchestral/epic experiments). No reason for not using one, except I wanted to challenge myself, and make sure the song didn't just sound like me playing my normal guitar style with 80's cliche elements in the background.

The song name comes from a programming language (C#) function, where basically you can have more than one processor/core work on parts of a task at the same time.

It was a lot of fun to put together.

Instruments:
UVI Workstation - DSX (Yamaha DX7 emulation)
UVI Workstation - Falcon
SuperWave P8 (free)
Synthmaster Player (free)
Korg Wavestation VST
Battery 4 - LinnDrum emulation

Effects:
Eventide SP2016 reverb
Valhalla Room reverb
Bark of Dog subsynth (free)
NI Replika
NI Supercharger
Izotope Neutron 2
Softube Saturation Knob (free)
Izotope Ozone 8
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

An adventure from the 80's.
Octave bass and his synth friends.
Let's travel through space and time.

---------------------------------------------

Title: SOS Space Cowboy

Locked in your home?
A whole world are on lockdown?
Need help?
Just sit on the couch, hug each other and send a message.

In deep space, a hero is waiting.
His mission is to save the worlds.
He knows no fear.
He knows the impossible.
His name is... Space Cowboy.

Daw: Reaper

BPM: 112
Intro-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Verse-Chorus-Chorus-Explosion

Drums:
RetroHit

Synth:
Korg Wavestation
Korg M1
Korg Mono/Poly
Repro 1
Arturia Prophet-V
Arturia Matrix-12
Arturia Arp2600
Arturia Mini-V
Arturia Analog Lab 4

Kontakt:
Giant
Zero-G Ethera
Metropolis Ark 1

FX:
Fabfilter Pro-Q3
TR5 VC-670
TR5 Black 76
TR5 White 2A
by_subsynth
TDR Kotelnikov
Kickstart
Brauer Motion
H-Delay
RVox
Microshift
TranceGate
MConvolutionMB
Blackhole

Ozone 9
Span

Explosion at the end:
2 samples from the distant past
Last edited by becsei_gyorgy on Sun May 02, 2021 19:31 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

The theme of this month’s competition is ”Together At Home”

I started from the first image that came to my mind: Singer and his cat are together at home. There’s Corona restriction so they have to stay in. They are sitting by the window and they are staring out. And nothing happens. There’s nobody out there… except the mysterious red-haired stranger.

DAW: Reaper

VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS
Drums: Abbey Road, Kontakt Battery
Bass: Trilian
Pads: Reaktor Kontour
”Cat meows” Melody: Reaktor Monark
Arpeggios: Reaktor Spark

REAL INSTRUMENTS
Acoustic Guitar
Electric Guitar (solid + hollow body)
Bongos
Shaker