2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC033 May 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC033 May 2020 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 33 - May 2020

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (theme, submission information, sponsors) and start of the voting process. There will be no Round 2.

Read more about this month's competition further down below.

Please take note of the following
  • Please consult the official "Rules and Guidelines" for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game and upload/submission guidelines (Updated - 30-MAR-2020)
  • IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention for your productions (artist name = forum username):
    • SWC000_ArtistName_TrackName.wav and/or .mp3
  • IMPORTANT: if you only submit your production through Soundcloud, name your files properly prior to uploading and make the production downloadable. The forum can also convert your links into a Soundcloud player through the [soundcloud] BBcode from the text editor

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information and Sponsors
Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (usually not available if genre is "Free to Select")
Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Results of the Songwriting Competition: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC033 May 2020 - Submissions until 24-05-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Friday, 01st May 2020 to Sunday, 24th May 2020 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-05-2020, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

SONGWRITING THEME: Madness Rising (or "I'm going slightly mad")
GENRE: Avant-garde Metal / Funk Metal

Image Source: spliced image of "Snowwhite" by Disney and a random padded cell image from IMGUR, by Sabueso from IMGUR, released under Berne Convention

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote:It's yet another month where our world is just not the same. Some of us are still experiencing various forms of lockdowns and/or restrictions. Social Distancing is a continuous topic, and you can only do so much while staying at home. Isn't it unsurprising that some of us start to "get slightly mad"?

Why not turn that "looming madness" into actual music? Like... what would happen if you mix one music genre with another?
Will it be lunacy, or will it be genius?

Let's find out! :thinking:

Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month, you can create a production in the so called "Avant-garde Metal"/Funk Metal genre. (although avant-garde rock is just as fine)

Never heard of it? That it's because it is considered to be "forgotten" at this point - at least if we trust music experts. Then again, a lot of genres blend with each other these days. So it is really hard to sometimes give pinpoint a certain category. But the genre is basically nothing more than a blend of Experimental and Progressive Rock/Metal mixed with Funk elements. As usual, I'll post some examples and Wikipedia articles further down below.

Therefore the biggest twists of this months are:
  1. you must try to fuse two or more genres with each other, and try to switch between them ever so often throughout the song
  2. since we talk rock/metal , you must incorporate guitars in some shape or form (if you can't play guitar yourself, there are plenty of guitar samples available on the market)

Please continue to stay save out there - be creative - have fun! I'm looking forward to your entries. :phones:

Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules:
  • create a production fitting to the given theme, genre and general premise
  • you can use any tool that is at your disposal (samples, virtual instruments and/or real instruments)
  • IMPORTANT: if you use non-licensed material (no royalty free material from sample CDs, etc), give full credit to the source material
  • do not go higher than -14LUFS ILk/-1dBTP or K-12v1 (avg)/-1dBTP in terms of perceived loudness (mastering). Music doesn't have to be squashed to bits in order to be impactful
  • for newcomers: no cover versions or remixes
  • ADD-ON RULES: <no special rules declared>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Songwriting Competition - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Songwriting Competition - Gossip and Discussion

If you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months:
Please consider supporting us

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Songwriting Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

RECURRING LICENSE SPONSORSHIP:

IK Multimedia is kind enough give away one license of MODO BASS to the winner
License will turn into NFR
More info on IK Multimedia: https://www.ikmultimedia.com

Tone2 is kind enough to donate a license of Saurus2 to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

kv331 audio is kind enough give away a bundle of either SynthMaster 1+2 Bundle, or a freely selectable set of 3 SynthMaster Expansions
License will not turn into NFR, you need to have a kv311 audio user account in order to pick up Expansions
More info on kv331 audio: https://www.kv331audio.com

JRR Sounds is kind enough give away any-1 sound sets or sample set of winner's choice (exception: Bundles)
More info on JRR Sounds: https://www.jrrshop.com/jrr-sounds

Luftrum is kind enough give away either a license of Lunaris, or any 2 sound sets of winner's choice (exception: Bundles and Nano Electronics)
More info on Luftrum: http://www.luftrum.com

Rekkerd Sounds is kind enough give away 1 sound set of winners choice (exception: Krezie EDM and Neurofunk Vol. 1)
More info on Rekkerd Sounds: http://sounds.rekkerd.org/

Ghostwave Audio (Vincent Bastiat) is kind enough to donate any 2 sound sets to the winner
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com

Hollow Sun is kind to donate one license of "Music Laboratory Machines - The Suite I" to the winner
More info on Hollow Sun: http://www.hollowsun.com

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

Sound / Graphic Designer, and honorary Mix Challenge staff satYatunes is donating one commercial product of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info on satYatune's page: http://www.satyatunes.com/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on instruments, samples and sound sets), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC033 May 2020 - Submissions until 24-05-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

Articles and Info Pages:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avant-garde_metal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk_metal

Music examples:
Twelve Foot Ninja - Coming for you (2012/2014, which blends three genres in one song that catch you off guard)
Panzerballett feat. Mattias 'IA' Eklundh - The IKEA Trauma (2013, IMO blends Hard Rock with Progressive Metal and some "Doom Metal")
Maximum The Hormone - Zetsubou Billy (2006, they blend Punk Rock with Hip Hop, Pop and Speed Metal, I can also recommend to listen to "Noodles in the future", "Yoshou Fukushū", and "What's Up People")
Incubus - You Will Be A Hot Dancer (1995)
Primus - John the Fisherman (1990)

The following is technically not "Funk Metal", but still an interesting blend of Orchestra (switching between different types of classic genres) and Metal.

Video Game Soundtracks and Remixes:
Dancing Mad (Final Fantasy VI) - GaMetal Remix (2019) (1994, originally written by Nobuo Uematsu for "Final Fantasy VI, which was supposed to be an aria in four movements)
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children - Advent: One-Winged Ange (2005, originally written by Nobuo Uematsu, re-recorded with "The Black Mages" for the movie of the same name, Nobuo Uematsu didn't plan this song, but rather "put together various passages" that he wrote over the course of several days)

Please also check in with the following thread in the the Gear Talk sub-forum, if you're on the look-out for new tools:
Free Tools, Samples and deals (collection thread)

Other tools of the trade I can recommend (if you can't play guitar yourself):
Musiclab RealGuitars, Pettinhouse Guitar Series (Direct Guitar and FunkyGuitars), Impact Soundworks Shreddage series, IK Multimedia MODO Bass (can be used for 14 days in demo mode, the band "Royal Blood" uses a +1 octave pitched bass for guitars, Lemmy Kilmister played his bass like a guitar as well), AmpleSound e-guitar series, etc.
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

Thanks for all your efforts to make this competition alive and kicking, Mr Fox. I've listened to the first two examples (Ninja and Mattias). May I ask: where are the funk elements in The IKEA Trauma? And when it comes to Coming for You: it's a little bit too crazy – IMO. Music shouldn't make you laugh!

Would it be possible to blend two genres in some other sense than alternate between them? And since I know very little about the metal genre – would Led Zeppelin count as progressive rock? (You have written progressive rock / metal.) I guess their kind of music was progressive once upon a time, but maybe not any longer?
Richard Watashi

Post by Richard Watashi »

Am excited to check what you will come up with, guys.
A Future in Noise

Sorry, I didn't see the parenthesis saying that avant garde rock is just as fine. But then I wonder: it seems almost mandatory with electric guitars AND the "chika", the "chank" and the "choke" when playing funk. How important is the funk element? Because I have hard to believe you can achieve chikas etcetera using plugins.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 07:37 CEST
Thanks for all your efforts to make this competition alive and kicking, Mr Fox. I've listened to the first two examples (Ninja and Mattias). May I ask: where are the funk elements in The IKEA Trauma? And when it comes to Coming for You: it's a little bit too crazy – IMO. Music shouldn't make you laugh!
A Future in Noise wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 13:29 CEST
Sorry, I didn't see the parenthesis saying that avant garde rock is just as fine. But then I wonder: it seems almost mandatory with electric guitars AND the "chika", the "chank" and the "choke" when playing funk. How important is the funk element?
Don't see the funk elements as literal funk (funky chord "chugs"). You can also see it as overall "grooving" parts, or whatever throws you off guard while listening - by either switching or blending different genres.

A Future in Noise wrote:
Would it be possible to blend two genres in some other sense than alternate between them?
The "Twelve Foot Ninja" example is the most extreme and sets the bar really, really high. This is why I've also posted "Maximum The Hormone" as additional example. They switch between J-Pop/Rock, Hardcore Punk Rock and use Hip Hop Vocals (in certain areas that would be considered "Nu Metal" already). In case of "Panzerballet feat. Mattias Eklundh", they switch between Hard Rock to Progressive Metal (with some "Doom" influences - lower tuned instruments, slower beats).

All are basically depicting a rollercoaster of emotions and a certain panic. Which I hope to see people aim for in general with the theme "Madness rising".

A Future in Noise wrote:
And since I know very little about the metal genre – would Led Zeppelin count as progressive rock? (You have written progressive rock / metal.) I guess their kind of music was progressive once upon a time, but maybe not any longer?
Definitely progressive. The blends of "genres" (blues elements and hard-rock) are just way, way more subtle. Same goes for Pink Floyd IMO.

A Future in Noise wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 13:29 CEST
Because I have hard to believe you can achieve chikas etcetera using plugins.
Oh you can!

If you don't play guitar yourself, then it's definitely possible with Musiclab RealGuitars (chord triggering a strum without addressing a chord - they even have a dedicated Key Switch Effect called "ChukaFull" or "ChuckaMute"), Pettinhouse FunkyGuitar 2.0 (Kontakt based), and I think AmpleSound guitars can do that as well. I mean, it's basically just strumming while you mute the fretboard with your fingers.

If you really want to implement that sound.
A Future in Noise

Thanks for detailed reply.
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Post by Benedict Roff-Marsh »

Hi All

This is my first Songwriting entry here. I was only here to try my hand at the Mixing Comp but in for a penny and all that...

Whether this entry is even considered appropriate for the theme we will see. If you are new to my music, I will ask you to be open as I tend not to adhere to the usual rigid genre formulas so where I use Metal elements it is the spirit of Metal not the cliches of a Warlock through a Sovtek and Celestion Vintage 30 because that is the approved what everyone does to get "that" sound.

The Track is called The Shifters

ENTRY: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpby0rs7fpdth ... s.wav?dl=0

I have also added a YouTube of the same as it not only makes it easier to play but shows screenshots without taking up half the forum.
YOUTUBE: https://youtu.be/iHAu0uKiLIo

Everything is 100% my work from sounds through composition and mix.

Background: I had started a track the day before and felt I wasn't sure of how to deliver its story. There was an event where some people shifted what happened to a strange mis-quote that advantaged them at my expense. It was one of those lovely Social Media moments where changing the rules made those with less to say appear more important than those with. :nutter: I had already thought on having another go at my electronic Metal guitars thing I have done a few times. This challenge criteria matched that so might as well put em together. To create a track that is constantly shifting underneath you, refusing to let you settle in any one groove.

Walkthrough: We start with a couple of sound effects that say that we are shifting spaces. There are bleeps, growls & sweeps. Then a Middle Eastern or Indian reedy wind instrument appears with a line that is sweet but refuses to settle. The scary sound effects are replaced with a nice arpeggio. The reed sound is picked up and carried forward by a combo of brass and string that builds. Drums start to appear adding tension. The reedy lead leads us towards another part that is cut off by a sort of Math Rock Metal riff. The reed tries to reassert itself but is sucked under. The guitars and eastern sounds then swap places to play each other's roles. The next part then swaps genre to Doom Metal; slow turgid guitar chords with wandering leads. This seems to dissipate with only the bass seeming solid and one of the guitars clicking off its pedals and sounding like a dulcimer. Even after the fade, the track reappears to say, "it is never done".

Compositional Structure: as above, we move through Electronic Music, Space Music, Eastern Music and then modern Metal. Doom helps bridge the Eastern elements back to the Metal riffs. Key/Scale is C Maj only I flattened the 2nd & 5th for an unusual diminished feel.

DAW Stuff: 100% in Reason 11.2. All sounds were made in the piece using Europa, Thor, & Subtractor. The guitars & bass are Europa with Karplus Strong OSC into Scream and the included Softube Amps. Do they sound "real"? Up to you. I never see synthesis as a poor man's anything. I see it as a way to create something unique. The SFX and the Brass sound use my fave "secret weapon" device, Kron for modulation to make the sound more organic or plain blippertronic. Drums were different for me as I used a library kit. They started very distorted (seeing I was accused of my mixes being too clean, like it is failing to let ppl hear the song) but in the end that had to back off as it just made mud. The high & low filtering stays as part of the arrangement. Everything is sent to a shared Bus Reverb. I did have to dial that back a bit as the complexity of the sound was hard to understand with too much wash. Mastering is over easy as usual.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production