2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC033 May 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC033 May 2020 - Submissions until 24-05-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Doc Jon »

Ran out of time this month but wanted to submit something
I have gone for the Funk/Metal combo
No time to do the vocals so this is presented as an instrumental, the mix is intentionally a bit L/R as there was meant to be a vocal filling the centre of the soundstage, but hey ho, these things happen, will have to add it another time
I did however include a cheesy metal guitar solo played on my keyboard :hihi:

Cubase 10 Pro

VST
Toontrack Superior Drummer 3
MusicLab RealStrat
Steinberg Virtual Guitar 2
IK MODO Bass
Arturia B3

Samples
I have used 4 guitar loops (8 bars each) from Noiiz Andy Baker Psychedelia Guitars soundpack

Fx
Izotope Ozone 8
Soundtoys Microshift
FabFilter Timeless 2
Steinberg VST Amp Rack
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5
Izotope Trash 2
Steinberg REV-X reverb
TRackS compressors, limiter and metering

LUFS -14.1

A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC033 May 2020 - Submissions until 24-05-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by A Future in Noise »

48000 Hz, 24 bit: SWC033_AFutureInNoise_DrAndrew

Vocals: A Future In Noise, Michael Wilferd and unknown lady free for download from Ghosthack.

Funky guitar loops: Downloaded from Orange Free Sounds and some other place I have forgotten.

Real instrument: Cort AD810 acoustic guitar.

DAW: REAPER.

Software: MODO BASS, Rock guitar from NI Kontakt Player, ZynAddSubFx classic version (strings and brass pad), trumpet samples downloaded from GitHub (originally from VSCO) imported into Independence Free, Sax: Sample Tank Free, Drumsamples from a million places imported into Shortcircuit softsampler, Reverbs downloaded legally from Samplicity (originally from Bricasti M7 hardware), Delay: Independence Free FX, guitar amp sim: Le Pou HyBrid, guitar cabinet: Kalthallen IR:s in Ignite Amps NadIR, Bass guitar dist: Ignite Amps NRR-1
Last edited by A Future in Noise on Mon May 25, 2020 15:29 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC033 May 2020 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th May 2020, 5:00 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

Once more a very warm "hello and welcome" to all new participants. I hope you enjoy your stay. We had 7 participants overall, which is 2 entries less compared to last month (9 entries), and 3 less compared to last year (10 entries).

The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does apply. (1-position Winners Podium)

There was no (number: 0) production submitted after the deadline
No (number: 0) entry has been disqualified
No (number: 0) entry has been redacted

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours, I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that they're downloadable. We then perform with the "public vote" system.

We have 7 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 6 tracks, the staff will will not cast a balance vote.

Keep in mind of the overhaul of the Rules and Guidelines. As long as we're not exceeding 20 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 20 list can look something like this:
01 (10 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (9 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (8 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (7 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (6 pts) - ...
06 (5 pts) - ...

How your voting could look like, please take a look at these posts (sans the super technical information):
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 2311#p2311
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 2478#p2478
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 2819#p2819
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 3522#p3522

Please cast your vote in collective form through the "spoiler text" BBcode:

Code: Select all

[spoil]01 participant
02 participant
03 participant[/spoil]
Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines (on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, failing to do so results in a disqualification). Due to the nature of this month's "free to select" genre, maybe have a bit more focus on giving feedback on how one might improve their songwriting or overall sound.

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that do sadly not count for the current running game. Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC033 May 2020 - Voting until 01-JUN-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Monday, 01-JUN-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

Benedict Roff-Marsh wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 04:37 CEST
"The Shifters"

phpBB [media]

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpby0rs7fpdth ... s.wav?dl=0
Olli H wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 13:58 CEST
”I’m going crazy as I get older”

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MHZSL ... CxUvJpAYQt
gruskada wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 15:06 CEST
"Canary Release"

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 16:46 CEST
"Legend of an angel (Heaven's War)"

TrojakEW wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 21:44 CEST
"Crawl" (collaboration with Jilliam)

Doc Jon wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 23:38 CEST
"Fastlife"

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 23:55 CEST
"DrAndrew"

WAV: SWC033_AFutureInNoise_DrAndrew

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - you can not vote for it, but feel free to give feedback)

<no bonus entries available>

Please consult the last post of how your vote could look like (which links to more sources). And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the forum usernames in your listing. Thank you!

SWC033 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) and casting your vote is mandatory, else you will be disqualified. Please also keep the bonus point game mechanic in mind.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC033 May 2020 - Voting until 01-JUN-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Mister Fox wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 02:53 CEST
SWC032 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) and casting your vote is mandatory, else you will be disqualified.
I don't wanna be a fusspot, but this is actually SWC033. :grin:
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Post by Benedict Roff-Marsh »

First time doing this so hope I am getting it right. I took the Theme to be Funk/Groove Metal with clashes of feel in the changes. Faith No More, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Pantera. I am not sure how I feel about having to write my feelings on each track in this situation but I guess it is the rules so...

(all criticism intended as constructive)

Olli H ”I’m going crazy as I get older” - is kinda a cool song but I wonder if it is a) on-theme and b) entirely original work. I like that it is a traditional song - just good Rock. The idea is cool but something in the execution lacks that spark - I assume from focusing on technicalities over passion on tape. The mix is prone to burying the voice which is a shame as the lyric has to be the star of the show here as it is all about that story. The sudden end seems a shame too. However, I still like the idea and what does work.

gruskada "Canary Release" - feels on-themes with a Groove thing and changes. The lyrical topic is in line with the feel too. The Bass sounds pretty good, chunky funky. Some of the guitar leads & squeals feel good. Above that, things feel a bit "polite". Shades of a Jello Biafra in the lyric but lacks a sense of the drive or over-the-topness of Rotten, Rollins etc. The arrangement feels weak which is a shame as things do roll along well at the start but as the tracks nears the end there is a feeling of it losing steam which reduces my desire to take that ride again as the rage is lost

becsei_gyorgy "Legend of an angel (Heaven's War)" - Starts pretty strongly with an Eastern hook and Metal elements in a nice bright mix. In some ways there is a lot of work in here. Sadly I quickly feel that this is loops & samples not organic. May sound odd coming from a synthesist but when music sounds like samples to me it feels very devoid of narrative. There is clearly a sense of a narrative and arrangement here which is good. But... no matter how neat the mix or technical performance, it never really feels like organic music to me (the very same criticism I have of my Satriani record). Technically I think this is very good but I wish I could hear humanity more than technicality.

TrojakEW "Crawl" (collaboration with Jilliam) - Interesting start. Mysterious with bits & pieces cycling in & out. There is definitely a sense of clash of styles here but I don't hear anything approaching Metal. We have a sort of torch singer and pianist in this collage of parts. My problem is that I am not sure if there is is a larger theme or narrative developing. I hear that really nice string line but am not convinced it is taking me anywhere but back to where we were a moment ago. A counter-melody leading to a narrative tension/release ending would help here. That is IMO as I know that Hip Hop thrives on partial melodies looped ad-nausium. From memory you said this wasn't finished but I have to judge based on what is here. What is there all sounds good within itself so that says it works as a mix.

Doc Jon wrote: "Fastlife" - Funky intro. Then some Metal. Bases covered. That lead guitar is nice. Mix is clear. Sadly I feel like it is music by numbers (or Band In A Box) and not taking me on a unique journey of a Scene & Story. All the bags packed, traveling shirt on except where are we actually going & why. Part of me wants to vote higher for it being understandable Rock, part of me wants to vote lower for it being pointless. I am sorry.

A Future in Noise "Andrew" - Nice start. Immediately starts taking me somewhere. Ooh a voice dripping in character (you like Nick Cave dontcha). Then it gets a bit confusing - too many ideas or parts tumbling over each other. Really nice lead and use of sounds overall. It starts so strongly then a sudden stop is a shame. Maybe you didn't budget your time enough but like I said before, I have to judge on what is here. More time & sensitivity in the arrangement & mix could fix most of your problems - give things time to develop when you get complex with those interjected parts. This is the one I'd most want to hear again so...
► Show Spoiler
My logic seeing I had to rank things.
A Future in Noise "Andrew" has the makings of a great track here. Needs time (and trust) but it wins with me because it exudes a sense of Story and that makes me want to be there again. Makes me want to finish it as it "should be".
gruskada "Canary Release" is in the right space overall with all the right parts. Just needs that singer to commit to his passion more and we are moving from another someone with a DAW to an Act.
becsei_gyorgy "Legend of an angel (Heaven's War)" both delights & frustrates me. There is something great in here but then it is trapped under YouTube Tut formulas and thinking that samples maketh the magic.
Doc Jon "Fastlife" kinda the same as above, only this one feels more Band In The Box. It is not that I am anti the software or traditional chord changes etc just that those need to be a start and not the end. Couple this with a Scene & Story and you might have won (my list).
TrojakEW "Crawl" (collaboration with Jilliam) Just not focused enough (or finished). If the track had developed past interesting to compelling with a Story it also could have won.
Olli H ”I’m going crazy as I get older” I feel bad putting this last as I have more Tom T Hall records than Faith No More records and the Story is mostly there but the combo of appearing to have built on someone else's song and nothing that I could feel fit the Brief made me have to put the pin in the balloon.

:-)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Two questions I didn't get back to sooner. Apologies for that. I usually have an eye on the forum multiple times daily. But "life" is also a thing. So please keep a turnaround of 72hours on workdays in mind in the future.

nixon85 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 08:23 CEST
Where do we have to raise the issue?
May I ask what you mean with this? What issue?
If you mean "entry" as in "submit your production" - then this thread would have been the place for that.

gruskada wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 15:31 CEST
Crap - forgot to do that. Thanks. @Mister Fox - is it ok to rename?

EDIT: I didn't hear back form Mister Fox, but I will be out of pocket for most of the rest of the day, so I renamed the track. It's the exact same file. Hope that's ok.
Apologies for not responding during that day - I was not at home (again - "life" is also a thing).

I direct you to the FAQ of the Songwriting Competition Rules and Guidelines. Most specifically Q6. Once I collect all entries for the global post, there should be no more changes. If the filename is not as specified, this mainly results in some extra work for me and you'll loose out on one (number: 1) bonus point during the voting process.

:arrow: We're still in the voting process of SWC033.

:idea: If you got an idea for a theme and genre for a future Songwriting Competition, please let me know in the following thread:
What theme / genre would you like to see next?
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

The challenge of this competition was to make a song that blends elements from both Funk and Hard Rock/Metal and that switches the genre clearly several times. For voting, that was my main criterion. The task was clear, and rules are rules. Although I personally failed to match the task, I still take it into account in my points.

BOTH GENRES AUDIBLE AND SWITCHED
The submission that filled in my mind both criterions:
DocJon, becsei_gyorgy, gruskada

The submission that had only other element:
TrojakEW&Jilliam, AFutureInNoise

One submission had neither style in my opinion:
Benedict Roff-Marsh

THEME: MADNESS RISING
Clearly in these
gruskada, TrojakEW&Jilliam, AFutureInNoise

======

SWC033_gruskadaCanary_Release_rc27.wav

Funk and rock influences found, actually very nicely incorporated into rap. Surprising result.
Rap works very fine to my ears. Maybe articulation could be clearer and more rhythmic, but that's not a songwriting issue. Maybe a mixing or performance problem. On the other hand, the "not so perfect rapping" gives this song a strong and needed human aspect. It puts the focus nicely to the message, as it's not coming from "another trained rap machine", it comes from a human being.

Nice slowing effects with the vocal. Bonus points for that.

At the later part of the song, the band doesn't play together that well. As if everybody is trying to do something unique, without listening others. So the band's playing as a whole is a bit messy. But that's more an arrangement problem, not a songwriting issue. On the other hand, the result is a bit messy chaos, but it fits perfectly the madness theme.

Madness: 100%. But yes, it couldn't be anything else as the topic is American politics. So perfect match to theme of competition, and I'm not taking any responsibility at all of my comments.

Overall, I think you hit the nail perfectly every time you step outside your comfort zone. You manage to add a human aspect and imperfections nicely into your music. Technically it's not perfect yet, but the song is there, the task is fulfilled, and that's main point.

BTW, I would love to try do a rap someday, but not voluntarily, only under compulsion.

Genre match: 5
Madness: 5
Song: 4

======

SWC033_becsei_gyorgy_Legend_of_an_angel.wav

You have both metal and funk influences clearly in your submission. I love the fact you typically manage to blend your own style naturally to the changing genres of these competitions. Unlike me, you most of the time really try to match the task.

I like the way you add oriental influences to this song. Those solo guitar lines are cool and very convincing, although I suspect that you programmed them.

I think the song part is very good. Although after 2:00 song starts to repeat itself, but that's more an arrangement issue, I wouldn't say it's a problem of songwriting.

Genre changes happen quite fluently and rapidly, extra points for that.

Compared to last months submission, this time you have nice focus all through the time. It makes it easy to listen, at least to my old time mind, as the leading element is picked by ear automatically.

Madness? This one is not so strongly evident to me in your submission. I find it to be a melancholic song with a bursts of anger, but not so much madness to me.

I like the epic ending. It suits your style perfectly.

Madness: 3
Song: 5

======

SWC033_TrojakEW&Jilliam_Crawl.wav
I didn't find clear funk influences but certainly some hard rock influences at the end.
As a composition, this is very cinematic. And very good on that area. On the other hand, I couldn't expect anything less from you. To me you're a master on that area.

This song would work nicely on a theatre stage. Somehow it needs to be part of something visual and physical event. Piano part would suit perfectly to some Jacques Brel cabaret song. (When I was in high school, I studied French by listening Jacques Brel.)

Love the vocal part. There's a pain, madness and humanity present very strongly. But I wonder if the mix is too polished and perfect to match the fragile vocal part.

If this was a quick process from you, amazing results. But if you plan to finish it, I would probably go more to the fragile direction that is introduced by the vox. Now everything is in perfect control. Maybe this way it's too safe for the listener to hear the despair of the fragile singer. Maybe you could add a "listen at your own risk" -aspect to it.

Genre match: 2
Madness: 4
Song: 5

======

SWC033_DocJon_Fastlife.wav
With this one I can hear clear funk and metal parts.
From my perspective truly great playing. I wish I could be so versatile player as your submissions has proven you to be.

You have nice development all throughout the song. But like you said it yourself, it clearly lacks the vocal part or the lead part. So it's a bit difficult to evaluate it as a song from that point of view. But the riffs are very cool. If you had had the time to add a vocal part, you probably would have been the winner in my evaluation. Especially if you had managed to add a vocal line like "Eye of the Tiger". The guitar sounds is asking for that.
Cool solo part.

But what about madness? The current version sounds quite positive. Maybe slightly more arrogant mix could fix that, but that would be a mixing issue, not a song-writing issue. One must also remember that the real mixing can't be done without the missing lead element.

If you plan to finish this one, I would forget the madness-theme (as competition is already over) and take it to the direction you've chosen, or wherever it naturally goes. If you add a vocal line to this and match the mix to the mood of it, I'm sure it will be superb.

Madness: 3
Song: 3

======

SWC033_AFutureInNoise_DrAndrew.mp3
Some funk influences found, not so much hard rock.

I like those bass lines. There are not too many songs where the melodic bass line creates a nice counterpart to the vocal lines.

1.30 starts a part where I can hear some funk influences. It's a bit chaotic, but maybe with purpose.

The fragile situation, madness comes through very nicely with your voice.

On the whole, I don't think this matches so well the genre task of this competition. But from the point of view of the song, I think it's better this way, by not forcing it artificially to some given format. I think that a smaller arrangement would serve your song better. Without strings and synths and reverbs, maybe just "man and a guitar".

Genre match: 2
Song: 4

======

SWC033_Benedict Roff-Marsh_The Shifters.wav
In this submission I don't find any funk nor metal/hard rock influences.

The first minute has very strong cinematic atmospheres. It would be perfect audio background for some film scene. I like those visual audio effects very much. Very well done. There's a madness in them.

Around 1:00 starts the melody line, the song part. Probably very good as such, but I think it belongs more to classical composition area. Classical music is totally outside of my listening skills, so I try not to evaluate that part. It's too abstract to me.

Later around 2:30 comes in electric drums and guitar sounding synths. It feels like an accompaniment to ultramodern pop, where the lead or the vocal part is muted. But I don't find any connection to metal/hard rock nor funk.

Somehow I don't consider this as a song, I would say it's a composition.
I get a feeling that this was made for some other purpose than for this competition.

Genre match: 1
Song: 3

► Show Spoiler
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

Benedict Roff-Marsh wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 02:20 CEST
Olli H ”I’m going crazy as I get older” - is kinda a cool song but I wonder if it is a) on-theme and b) entirely original work. I like that it is a traditional song - just good Rock. The idea is cool but something in the execution lacks that spark - I assume from focusing on technicalities over passion on tape. The mix is prone to burying the voice which is a shame as the lyric has to be the star of the show here as it is all about that story. The sudden end seems a shame too. However, I still like the idea and what does work.
Thanks for the skillful comments. I guess the melody part of my submission was a country rock with some added funk and rock influences. So, you may be right, it maybe a bit off-theme.

In country and country rock, if you try to be melodically too original, It’s not country music anymore. If it doesn’t borrow anything from the holy Hank Williams, it doesn’t deserve to be called "country music", so have I learned. My lyrics may have a bit similar rhythmic structure as ”I’m Sorry for You My Friend”, but so have two million other country songs. The originality within this genre comes from the use of the words. (Although I do know quite many country songs, still I don’t know a single one that switches constantly from 4/4 to 3/4 tempo.)

From my point of view, the sudden and sad waltz ending was a must. I didn’t want to give that sarcastic singer bastard the last word. The melancholic music box in the end is natures silent answer: ”I’m sorry for you my friend, it happens”. After that the singer tried to answer to nature: ”You Win Again”, but for some reason his voice was not loud enough.
A Future in Noise

Olli H wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 13:34 CEST
The challenge of this competition was to make a song that blends elements from both Funk and Hard Rock/Metal and that switches the genre clearly several times.
Mr Fox wrote: "Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This month, you can create a production in the so called "Avant-garde Metal"/Funk Metal genre. (although avant-garde rock is just as fine)". But of course your votes are your votes, @Olli H ! :)
Olli H wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 13:34 CEST
The submission that had only other element:

One submission had neither style in my opinion:
I don't quite get this, what you mean?