2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC034 June 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC034 June 2020 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 34 - June 2020

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (theme, submission information, sponsors) and start of the voting process. There will be no Round 2.

Read more about this month's competition further down below.

Please take note of the following
  • Please consult the official "Rules and Guidelines" for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game and upload/submission guidelines (Updated - 30-MAR-2020)
  • IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention for your productions (artist name = forum username):
    • SWC000_ArtistName_TrackName.wav and/or .mp3
  • IMPORTANT: if you only submit your production through Soundcloud, name your files properly prior to uploading and make the production downloadable. The forum can also convert your links into a Soundcloud player through the [soundcloud] BBcode from the text editor

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information and Sponsors
Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (usually not available if genre is "Free to Select")
Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Results of the Songwriting Competition: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC034 June 2020 - Submissions until 24-06-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Monday, 01st June 2020 to Wednesday, 24th June 2020 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-06-2020, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

SONGWRITING THEME: Reboot
GENRE: Big Beat

Image Source: spliced image of a photo by Anna Shvets (released through Pexels) and a screenshot from Windows 10's reboot screen - released under Berne Convention

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote:In March, we had a songwriting competition about "Chillout" music, due to being forced to take a step back. In April, we were free to speak out mind while being "Together at Home". In May, we tried to convey a slowly rising "Madness" inside of us due to the continued lockdowns and restrictions.

Honestly, writing a premise every month is not easy for me. In fact, I'm kind of slowly running out of ideas. But there was this one word floating around in my head, that I think might work well with our current world situation.

We're slowly getting a bit of a "Reboot". Not one with out any hiccups or glitches (mind you). But we suddenly feel a surge of energy flowing through us. Even though we're still only "booting up" step by step.

So why not combine this with an (sometimes) upbeat and "high energy" music genre? Let's say... uhm... Big Beat?

You might be wondering "wait, didn't we do Big Beat in April 2019 already?", and you would definitely be correct. However, the "type" of Big Beat I was actually looking for at that time, was aching towards more aggressive Electro. Some even called it "Electo-Punk". I wanted to get towards the sound of the album "The Fat of the Land" and "The Day is my Enemy". Read: loud and face melting. But the entries were in general more tame and melodic, more "mellowed out". So I'm giving this another shot with slightly changed parameters.

Want to (once more) join the ride? :wink:

Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month, you can create a production in the Big Beat genre.

The "type of Big Beat" I'm actually looking for, is (hopefully) a nice blend between Big Beat, Chemical Beats, Nu Skool Beats, and "Freeland" Breaks. If you're puzzled about what I mean by that, don't worry. As usual, please check the next post - especially the outstanding "Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music" (which I will once more link to). I will also try to provide some suitable audio examples.

Basically, I want you to go the more melodic route this time (think of the content from mid to late 2000s). Think acts like Paul Oakenfold (mostly his remixes), The Crystal Method, Junkie XL, Adam Freeland, the more melodic side of "Chemical Brothers", etc. Who went away from just using straight up re-cut loops and Acid Basslines, mixed both acoustic drums with electronic ones and borrowed a lot from Soul and RnB (chord progressions). Also think of the soundtracks for "Wipeout" video game series, and many, many movie soundtracks around that time. (these days, it's Taiko Drums and "Epic" drum hits).

Of course, nothing can hold you back to throw the occasional old-school drum loop in there as "background filler", or use a more aggressive distorted bass. It's Big Beat after all. However, the line is thin. Just... try to not turn this into plain "Breakbeat" (I might provide something to scratch that itch later this year).

Sidenote:
Vocals are always nice to have. But if you can't sing, have access to suitable voice samples (no cover versions/remixes from "found" acapellas!), or find a collaboration partner that might be able to help you out - that is totally fine. Don't worry, it is not a must - just #MakeMusic

As with every month - be creative - have fun! I'm looking forward to your entries. :phones:

Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules:
  • create a production fitting to the given theme, genre and general premise
  • you can use any tool that is at your disposal (samples, virtual instruments and/or real instruments)
  • IMPORTANT: if you use non-licensed material (no royalty free material from sample CDs, etc), give full credit to the source material
  • do not go higher than -14LUFS ILk/-1dBTP or K-12v1 (avg)/-1dBTP in terms of perceived loudness (mastering). Music doesn't have to be squashed to bits in order to be impactful
  • for newcomers: no cover versions or remixes
  • ADD-ON RULES: <no special rules declared>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Songwriting Competition - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Songwriting Competition - Gossip and Discussion

If you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months:
Please consider supporting us

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Songwriting Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

RECURRING LICENSE SPONSORSHIP:

IK Multimedia is kind enough give away one license of MODO BASS to the winner
License will turn into NFR
More info on IK Multimedia: https://www.ikmultimedia.com

Tone2 is kind enough to donate a license of Saurus2 to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

kv331 audio is kind enough give away a bundle of either SynthMaster 1+2 Bundle, or a freely selectable set of 3 SynthMaster Expansions
License will not turn into NFR, you need to have a kv311 audio user account in order to pick up Expansions
More info on kv331 audio: https://www.kv331audio.com

JRR Sounds is kind enough give away any-1 sound sets or sample set of winner's choice (exception: Bundles)
More info on JRR Sounds: https://www.jrrshop.com/jrr-sounds

Luftrum is kind enough give away either a license of Lunaris, or any 2 sound sets of winner's choice (exception: Bundles and Nano Electronics)
More info on Luftrum: http://www.luftrum.com

Rekkerd Sounds is kind enough give away 1 sound set of winners choice (exception: Krezie EDM and Neurofunk Vol. 1)
More info on Rekkerd Sounds: http://sounds.rekkerd.org/

Ghostwave Audio (Vincent Bastiat) is kind enough to donate any 2 sound sets to the winner
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com

Hollow Sun is kind to donate one license of "Music Laboratory Machines - The Suite I" to the winner
More info on Hollow Sun: http://www.hollowsun.com

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

Sound / Graphic Designer, and honorary Mix Challenge staff satYatunes is donating one commercial product of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info on satYatune's page: http://www.satyatunes.com/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on instruments, samples and sound sets), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC034 June 2020 - Submissions until 24-06-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

Articles and Info Pages:
https://music.ishkur.com/ (Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music)

Please take a closer look at Big Beat, Nu Skool Breaks, Chemical Breaks and "Freeland" Breaks under the Breakbeat section. Do not just listen to the "global dots", but especially dive into everything post 2000, which shows a significant shift in style and sound.

Music examples:
The Crystal Method - High Roller (1997, Album: "Vegas", from the same album is also the track "Keep Hope Alive")
Jan Johnston - Unafraid (Paul Oakenfold Mix) (2001)
Paul Oakenfold - Ready Steady Go (2002, also check out the "Beatman & Ludmilla Remix" version from 2014, which in contrast, aged a bit better)

From 2002 and forward, producers started to drop "Acid Basslines" for more clean ones. Or (depending on the genre) for more "agressive" ones that are not arpeggios in 16th notes)

Junkie XL - Beauty Never Fades feat. Saffron (Animatrix Edit) (2003, I prefer the "Animatrix Edit" over the "A Broadcast From The Computerhell Cabin" album version since it's longer and has more interesting build-ups)
Adam Freeland - We Want Your Soul (2003, Album: "Now & Them")
Adam Freeland - Supernatural Thing (Album Version) (2003, Album: "Now & Them")
Dylan Rhymes - Don't Want You Anyway (2005, someone in the comments wrote: "in the style of The Prodigy. with the girly lyrics". Kind of have to agree here - but it's considered Big Beat)
zircon - Breathing You In (feat. Jillian Aversa) (2007, I also recommend listening to "Mindbender" and "Warhead" from the "Antigravity")
Freeflow 45 - Substantial (2007, this counts to "Nu Skool Breaks", think "Wipeout" videogame soundtrack)
Atomic Hooligan - Safeguard (2008)
Rebel Sonix - Dirty Dancing (2009, this counts to the "Chemical Beats" genre)
Specimen A - Exodus RIP (2009, this counts to "Nu Skool Breaks", and borderline crazes Complextro and the latter super popular "Pendulum" style - but has a nice blend of genres)
Atlas Plug - Around the World (2009, Album: "2 Days or Die" -- this track counts to "Nu Skool Breaks", but the whole album is worth a listen as this feels more like a soundtrack)
Shimon & Nixon - Whitenoise (2011, this counts to "Nu Skool Breaks", which can't decide it it wants to go Darkstep or Dubstep)
zircon - No Regret (ft. Chris Gordon) (2014, Album "Identity Sequence" - goes more towards Progressive Breakbeat)

Some names on this list might ring a bell:

zircon (Andrew Aversa) has been involved with many videogame soundtracks and soundtrack remix projects. He is also known as the creator of the video game "Tangledeep" and the CEO of the sample company "Impact Soundworks".

Atlas Plug (Tom Salta) has been around in the videogame and "trailer music" realm as well. You might know him best form his work on the Tom Clancy franchise, "Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands", "Red Steel" and especially "Killer Instict: Season 3" (in which he collaborated with Celldweller)

Junkie XL was already a household name in the late 1990s and early 2000s. These days you might have heard of him the most under his real name Tom Holkenborg. His best known work is "Mad Max: Fury Road", "Deadpool", "Mortal Engines", and "Alita: Battle Angel"

Please also check in with the following thread in the the Gear Talk sub-forum, if you're on the look-out for new tools:
Free Tools, Samples and deals (collection thread)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production
Richard Watashi

Post by Richard Watashi »

this is not a submission

i have been working for 15 hours in a row on a track, that isn't that much far from the break beat, maybe. Finished today.

I thought that maybe i could inspire some folks to create something for this round with it, so i am sharing here.

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

I did ramp up the promotion, so I hope we can exceed 15 participants this month.
bedlamward

song writing comp

Post by bedlamward »

this entry for the song competition is called climb ( just written ) unfortunately i submitted an older song first time so had to get my skates on . piano bass synths and vocals . can any body tell me where i can hear your song competition tracks . link below .
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17MQcVG ... sp=sharing

this is the link .
Last edited by bedlamward on Tue Jun 23, 2020 05:47 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
gruskada

Re: song writing comp

Post by gruskada »

bedlamward wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 09:15 CEST
this entry for the song competition is called climb ( just written ) unfortunately i submitted an older song first time so had to get my skates on . piano bass synths and vocals . can any body tell me where i can hear your song competition tracks . link below .
https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive
I think you need to link to the song file directly (I think there's a share link - sorry, have never done this) - the link you provided doesn't work. It asks the receiver to log in, and then it just shows that person's Google Drive.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I've informed the participant via email once more how everything works on the forum, including how to make the file downloadable.

If the file is not accessible by the end of 24th, the rules kick in automatically.
Everyone joining the games agreed to them. I can't offer more help as I'm no wizard that can fix things remotely.

We have a bit more than 3 days left for submissions.
Hopefully we can exceed 10 entries this month.