2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC035 July 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC035 July 2020 - Voting until 01-AUG-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Huh... this was unexpected... all results are already in. Please give me a moment to update the thread.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC035 July 2020 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 35

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @becsei_gyorgy (31 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have 0 disqualifications
We have 0 votes after the deadline
We have 2 users that tied
  • Olli H (1x10pt, 1x9pts) and gaurav.tairaja (0x10pt, 3x9pt) - Olli H therefore scores higher
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does apply - 1-position Winners Podium

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!

Please help spread the word to get the Songwriting Competition to 15-20 participants on average. :help:

Also... join our riddle on Social Media, can you guess which genre the next Songwriting Competition will be about?
Riddle on Facebook
Riddle on Twitter

Riddle will be solved on 1st August with SWC036
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC035 July 2020 - Voting until 01-AUG-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A couple of words about SWC035:
Please read this post in the Gossip Thread - which covers my thoughts about the Songwriting Competition of recent months, what the future might bring, and how to improve the participation rate.

Thank you for your time.
becsei_gyorgy

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC035 July 2020 - Winners announced

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Thank you for all your feedbacks, thanks for the comments.
I would react a bit to them:
TrojakEW wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:17 CEST
"kick is almost inaudible it is more just like click part of kick"
I think that's absolutely my fault. Lack of my knowledge and lack of proper sidechain when added more sub 808 to the base. :cry:
TrojakEW wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:17 CEST
"Wav version looks tonally more balanced but I like more that first mp3 version. In wav version instruments fight each other and voice is less audible joining the battle with the rest of instruments."
I made the music a little too strong at the expense of the vocals, but I needed a little boost anyway. It became a bit much (though not very much). Without this, the dry vocals were very much in the foreground, and the musical changes were almost imperceptible. Yes, I think the truth is between the two versions.
Olli H wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 09:34 CEST
"Speedy rapping parts (1:05-1:14) don’t make a nice speedy rhythm"
I think the best part in the song, very nice rhytmic change.
Olli H wrote:
"Rapping would benefit if there is weird but natural rhythmic changes."
1:05-1:14 nice example
Olli H wrote:
"Verses overlap: the start of the new verse happened before previous has ended. It could be a nice effect for once or twice,"
Yes, I partially agree.
when the words slides between verses - this technique tries to mimic the way 2 rappers take the word apart. This is often used in a recorded song even when only one person is singing. (Indeed, this is not usually the case live, but I have heard it on several commercial songs). But yes, maybe applying this here like that was a mistake.
Olli H wrote:
"But when the rapping starts, the music turns into a background music."
- That's the style.
Olli H wrote:
"but as rapping doesn’t offer any breathing moments for the listener,"
- That's the goal.
Olli H wrote:
"Short musical focus moments after every second line could have given more power also to rapping."
- Breaking the flow would be the worst thing possible.
Olli H wrote:
"All those problems were text related."
- I must defend tha rapper, because - sorry for nasty words - the lyrics, the flow, the rhythmic changes, the rhymes are fuckin' good at this 'amateur' level in my opinion.

I think in your longest feedback you tried to sum up all the reasons why this is the worst song among the contestants, but many times - I feel - you got talked about things that aren't real problems.
Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 08:18 CEST
:arrow: License selection:
Mister Fox: Thank you again for the opportunity to participate, I don’t want to choose anything this month.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

First congrats to winner. Good track. :tu:
Olli H wrote:
But next to those drums bass feels a bit weak, and also bass note articulation is a tad unclear. The bass riff could be very nice but now it doesn’t come out clearly. Maybe there's also too much compression with bass, as it feels that the tail of the note starts to grow stronger than beginning.
No there is no compression but I use dynamic EQ to supress some frequencies so it may sound bit like compression. Original double bass have a lot sub bass and I do not wanted it in order to make more old scholl mix. You have good ears and the result was as you said tails grow stronger in terms of loudnes because they have less low frequencies and those were suppressed in attack phase using dyn EQ.
gaurav.talreja wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 19:23 CEST
The rap lacks timing and rhythm
May be it was submitted in a hurry.Has lots of room for improvement.
We used to put some words about our production when posting the track. If you will read it you can read the track including lyrics was made in 3 days and this is my first and last time I used my vocal for anything. My voice sucks and it is not good for anything. So calling my attempt a rap is already a success :hihi: .