2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC036 August 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
wishoff

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC036 August 2020 - Voting until 03-SEP-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by wishoff »

Clueless wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 16:18 CEST
wishoff wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 14:58 CEST

Clueless - Insideout Upsidedown
Theme: (9) Fits very well, futuristic with a good flow.
Mix: (5) no download (it didn't start), but i think it would sound great if not played on soundcloud
Style: (8) could be a bit more aggressive in sound
Creativity: (9) im entertaint all the way
Rules: (4) time is right
Total: 35

Sorry abOut dl
Didn’t realise
There is an MP3 available

Have enabled now SC dl :tu:
:)
Vote fixed :)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC036 August 2020 - Voting until 03-SEP-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

There has been a slight misunderstanding with the entry by @canese. This is completely my fault, since I didn't pay enough attention (it was easy to miss). He posted both a Soundcloud link and one to Dropbox. But instead of those being the same entry, the Soundcloud track was actually an experiment from a couple of weeks back (unrelated to the Songwriting Competition), while the Dropbox link is the actual SWC036 entry.

I have just updated the Song Collection post accordingly. To those that already gave feedback, you're free to correct your post. And to those already preparing something, please take note of the small change.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

@wishoff

You are of course allowed to adjust your post (again). Also, if you want to, you can post the voting order with the "spoiler" feature of the forum (the orange triangle with a ! in it in the post edtior). You actually also missed one entry (JILLIAM/Richard Watashi). Likewise, I'd ideally love to see you write some more words on what you think could work to improve the production in question - see previous SWC's.

But great starting post, welcome to the forum!
wishoff

Post by wishoff »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 18:59 CEST

@wishoff

You are of course allowed to adjust your post (again). Also, if you want to, you can post the voting order with the "spoiler" feature of the forum (the orange triangle with a ! in it in the post edtior). You actually also missed one entry (JILLIAM/Richard Watashi). Likewise, I'd ideally love to see you write some more words on what you think could work to improve the production in question - see previous SWC's.

But great starting post, welcome to the forum!
Thanks :) sure I can try to be more specific, and use the spoiler.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

wishoff wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 16:44 CEST
Clueless wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 16:18 CEST
wishoff wrote:

Theme: (9) Fits very well, futuristic with a good flow.
Mix: (5) no download (it didn't start), but i think it would sound great if not played on soundcloud
Style: (8) could be a bit more aggressive in sound
Creativity: (9) im entertaint all the way
Rules: (4) time is right
Total: 35

Sorry abOut dl
Didn’t realise
There is an MP3 available

Have enabled now SC dl :tu:
:)
Vote fixed :)
Thanks, sorry if people feel offended by this, its not my intention to annoy anyone in the Challenge :) , I posted a 320 MP3 & forgot about the dl on SC.

@ wishoff & Mister Fox
Really like the way you have set out your scoring,I may have to steal this Method, possibly it could be a template for the SW challenge :) :tu:
wishoff

Post by wishoff »

I've updated my voting post :)
functionform

Post by functionform »

Feedback and votes:

Jilliam - Ok Kill Me
I like the distorted drums and bass leads, but I feel this is more in common with Big Beat than Drum and Bass.
It almost sounds like a rock band doing a collaboration with DJ.
Ignoring the genre specifics, there's good mix balance, but I think you pull back from putting everything through fuzz.
Two things spring to mind that might make it more "electronic" sounding - longer sustained bass notes, or 8th note percussive ones.

Doc Jon - Gridlock
Internal combustion doesn't quite set the mood for me but it kicks off well when it starts!
I really like the confident grooves, but I could use a change up in the melodic lines at some point.
Great use of synth textures with zips in the background, against the growly bass. Chip tunes were fun too.

Jorgeelalto - Afterburner
Great mood right away. I like when the drums come in, and it does a great job building during the main beat.
Very futuristic sounding, especially the pad break. Not quite feeling the small crashes, think it takes away somehow.

TrojakEW - Not fast enough
This is great, but its totally big beat. Great use of accents during development. I feel like this is a missing track
from the Matrix soundtrack. I like the choir and did I hear chiptune in there? Not a fan of the horn section.
A basic supersaw would have a little more impact instead. Hard to ding it because it was done really well and blended an impressive level of soundware, but its not in the dnb sphere.

becsei_gyorgy - Midnight Run
Interesting thing about the Mario sounds. Apparently the Wipeout creator
was inspired by Mario Kart while playing techno and thats how we ended up with Wipeout!
I think the drum production doesn't quite hit the mark, but I think you do a good job working towards creating tension.
I think by midway it's great we have new textures, but they got there a little late.
The lady singing - I love it. It really smacks you with personality.

J.Ruegg - HyperBoost
Great drums of course, strong presence. Some good growls, but the mid range melody synths needed a little more umph.
I think some Noisia listening would have had a great impact on your style here. As usual, great development, and
you keep it fresh the entire track.

Olli H - Gatekeeper
When the beat gets going around 1 min I love it. Just great headbanging. Textures don't quite sound like the target
genres, but I sense a really good attempt at closing the gap. I think you could use more focus on texture and less on
harmonic development and melody (as much as it pains me to say that). This genre (imo) is one that really gets going
when texutres come to the foreground, and not necessarily tonic/dominant relationships. Check out Alix Perez if you're
curious, he's a master of seemingly playing no notes.

Double Tap - Amen, Brake
Punny are we? Great beat slicing. Feels very jungle at the beginning. There's a lot going on, but somehow I don't quite get the
racing target. This almost veers towards breakcore. It's got a slippery majestic energy to it thouth and I find interesting, just
not quite race-y.

Very futuristic to me. I like the pipe-ish sound and the modulated sound that comes after it. Both are great over the drums
which have a lot of personality and the subtle growly bass. Good stereo field usage - keeps the ears curious.
I wouldn't call it traditional, but I'm always up for a personal take.

Exponent - Hyperdrive
Good build and I like the high passed break as a way to create incoming energy. Good handoffs between sections.
Great break in the middle, with a satisfying thud. Mix has great presence without being overly squashed and has pleasant ambience. Very strong all around with a good finish.

Wishoff - Ready Set Glow
Fun rhythm play. Is this is dnb? I don't think so, but its entertaining. Needs a changeup sooner than it arrives.

canese - Deutner
Is it me, or is the mix quiet? Snare is a little thin but the track has some good rhythms going.
I think some quick repairs can bring out more energy in this track but I like what I heard so far.
To me it almost sounds in progress rather than complete.
► Show Spoiler
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 05:57 CEST
Double Tap wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 19:29 CEST
"Amen, Brake"

Still no download for this track. :shrug:
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

First of all I’m glad we have so many participants and we can listen to so many good songs. I like the new feedback system too, I also really thank you for the feedbacks. Unfortunately, I had very little time, so I couldn’t modify my song, but the advices will be great help in the future.
...but maybe in a different genre, since the truth is that I had a hard time (and pain :smile:) making my song, I don’t really feel this genre.

Please read my review with this in mind. This is all very new to me and I apologize to all those who have been at home in this genre for a very long time.

:arrow: Richard Watashi - Ok Kill Me
I like the industrial feeling of the song. It has nice effects, nice sound choices.
The structure of the song is good, I like the way the song is built from the beginning.
The music elements can maintain interest throughout the song.
Mix: the low part is very little but the low-mid is very strong. Care should be taken to balance the bass sounds.
Maybe there are too many reverb and/or saturation on some part. But it's my personal taste only.
...And very loud song.

:arrow: DocJon - Gridlock
Nice start. I like the effects, and the 80 retro style mood. The synth sounds are very good, I love these sounds :)
I really have the feeling of racing and the breakdown part is also nice. THIS song IS a racing game soundtrack.
I can't add much, i like the clean mix too. Maybe the genre would want more lower bass and (in the very last part) there are too many highs, but that’s a trifle.
Maybe is too short, could be longer with a little more drop variation.

:arrow: Jorgeelalto - Afterburner
I think this is called drum and bass in the sense that it has a very well-crafted drum section and pleasant, elegantly raspy bass sounds.
The song is very pleasant, good to listen to, but sadly I don’t think it’s a racing game soundtrack.
The build up is nice and the 1st drop from 0:44 to 1:28 is the best part of the song.
Then came the great sounding but slow pads in the background which gives a very relaxed atmosphere, does not create a sense of a race. After 1:28 the song has a very nice mood but too chilly. It completely kills the racing mood, and the organic conga sounds doesn't reinforce the futuristic vibe too.
The arrangement, the structure and the mix is very good. Great job. It's clear that you understand and like this style very much.

:arrow: TrojakEW - Not Fast Enough
Good experiment, I like the idea. The mix is balanced, the structure is good, I have problems with the sound (library) choices.
The orchestral elements (choir, brass, strings) are interesting but they sound very shy and thin.
The song is very falling apart: has a strong, loud drum base (a solo drummer) and has a large orchestral strings, brass and choir (with many players), however these are very restrained.
The two things do not fit together, the blending did not work well in my opinion.
A much larger, more epic atmosphere would be needed :smile:

:arrow: J.Ruegg - HyperBoost
Has nice sound choices (mainly the bass part), but the highest synth parts are a bit boring after a while. Maybe need some sound/melody/rhythm variation, or some other fx's to bring some interests during the song.
The song is very great sounding but flat, there are little dynamic changes.
1:53-2:20 I like very much this part. It pleasantly breaks the mood in a good way.
The mix is very good, well balanced but very, very loud song.
Overall nice song and I feel it's a great starting point to make a very good thing.

:arrow: OlliH - GateKeeper
0:04-0:24 I like the organ chord changes, it has a bit sad, very nice sentimental feeling. I like this main melody line throughout the song.
0:26- Nice distorted sound, the drums fits well.
1:45 very loud FX
The sudden alternation of quiet and very loud parts is unpleasant. (0:54-; 2:15-)
Mix: very mingled. The melodic parts with the organ are very muddy, just mids without low and high, the drum'n'bass parts are crispy, loud sounds with a lot of highs.
Overall I have mixed feelings, there are nice elements, nice melodies, but needs more balance and blend more the elements together.

:arrow: Double Tap - Amen, Brake
Interesting start, nice elements mixed well.
A lot of samples (and a lot of work) in it.
Later I find chord progressions many times accidental, it turns into an experimental nature ambient background music with a legendary drum loop. Good for movie for example, but it lacks the racing game feel.
Overall nice work.

:arrow: Clueless - Upsidedown Insideout
Good race background music. Fits the competition well.
The snare has too much sustain for my taste.
Nice mix overall but I think has a little more higher part of the spectrum what the genre needs. I feel a little too airy. And need a more punchy, dominant low, low-mid part.
Overall great and with a bit more low elements I can really imagine it as the music of a racing game.

:arrow: The Exponent - Hyperdrive
Nice song, has great elements, nice structure.
In many places the drums are pushed to the very background in comparison to the synth sounds. And maybe needs more distortion, the synth sounds are too clear for a racing game DnB song. Maybe I would have used guitar rig or something similar.
Mix is well balanced. Nice job.

:arrow: Wishoff - Ready Set Glow
Interesting start, good rhythm, but I don't think these drum sounds are OK for this genre. I also miss the DnB bass line.
I think is a very good sketch, good starting point, but it needs a lot of development.

:arrow: Canese - Deutner
Very nice retro game feeling.
0:23- great melody
Very weak low, low-mid parts, the focus is on high-mid elements. A stronger bass part would be nicer.
A bit short, could be longer with more variations.
Overall nice elements, ideas and some great "old game style" sounds and melodies.

:arrow: Functionform - Arrival
Very nice mood, good atmosphere, but I miss the racing feel.
Some FX, interesting elements would be good. I feel the song a bit empty and flat. (But it's my taste, maybe DnB doesn't require those elements, but the given examples were more "saturated" in terms of both sounds and element variations.)
Clean mix but very loud song. Nice work.
► Show Spoiler
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

wishoff wrote:
Rules: (8) It has the loudness spot on, but too long.
Telling the truth I thought all of you make longer songs as described MisterFox. Maybe something I misunderstood.
Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 09:14 CEST
CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION
[...]
A song length of 5-7 minutes is no problem for them to integrate, in fact, they even look forward to that.
Double Tap

Post by Double Tap »

TrojakEW wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 08:08 CEST
Double Tap wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 19:29 CEST
No download for track. Please enable it on soundcloud.
Done