This thread covers the first part of this yearly recurring challenge - collecting samples - which are then used in the actual Songwriting Competition in January 2021 (SWC041) as basis for every participant. Which also marks the biggest twist of this game - you are only allowed to use the provided samples to create music out of it.
How, is totally up to you. You can use sampling/re-sampling techniques, granular synthesis, wavetable synthesis, you can mangle the sounds with modulation techniques. As long as you only use what has been provided by the community in form of sound snippets and/or samples. Vocals can be added on top, but please no other sound sources for the time being (up for debate).
You can read up more about this idea and the last "Community Scramble" here:
Songwriting Competition - new game idea: Community Scramble
Songwriting Competition - SWC017 January 2019 (Community Scramble)
Songwriting Competition - SWC029 January 2020 (Community Scramble)
Image Source: Pixabay, photo by Nachrichten_muc, released under Creative Commons CC0
In order for this endeavor to be successful, we need 10 entries with 3 samples per participant each in order to create a good "starter pack" (20-30 samples). The more entries, the more variety to choose from. More below...
Time Frame: Sunday, 01st November 2020 to Monday, 21st December 2010 (51 days), extended until Thursday, 24th December 2020 (54 days)
Sample submission will end on Thursday, 24-12-2020, 23:59 UTC+1/CET (Germany) - until further notice.
There will be no global countdown available, but there will be reminders via the Newsletter, Twitter account and Facebook page.
Rules: The rules of the Songwriting Competition apply, with the main difference that you're not allowed to use any other sound source than the ones provided from this sample collection thread
How to submit sample content:
- each community member shall ideally provide no more than three (number: 3) self-created sounds
- This must not be from free sample packages, but created by yourself. This material can be synthetic in nature or a Foley type recording (please keep things appropriate!), anything from single hits and stabs, to loops
- the material must be in 44/24 WAV bar minimum, and 96/24 WAV absolute maximum
- the material shall ideally not peak higher than -1.00 dBFS to prevent clipping
- IMPORTANT: bundle the following filled out TXT, which adds full credits to your work (download TXT)
- the samples and TXT must be packed in a ZIP or RAR, then uploaded to any file storage to your liking (recommended systems that store longer than 7 days, like Google Drive, DropBox, etc)
- Link to the file in this thread, with some short info what you recorded (basically mirroring what has been written in the TXT)
From all these entries, 20 to 30 samples (maybe more) will be selected to be a "starter bundle" for the SWC in question. If there is not enough material, or not of enough variety, the challenge will not happen. If there is too much, things will be trimmed down or used for future games of similar nature.
Once the material has been prepared, the game starts on time on 01st January 2021.
And that's about it!
Let's get creative!