2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Blang

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - Winners announced

Post by Blang »

Hi folks,

Nice that we got our pogo on this month! I enjoyed your songs a lot.

The MODO Bass would make the most happy, so that will be my choice.

I would like to share a few words (and perhaps start a little conversation) regarding what is considered a composition. These thoughts are sparked by this ska SWC hence I put it here, but forgive me if this belongs in a different thread.

So what is a composition? Music copyright law divides it in to distinct rights: the specific arrangement and combination of musical notes, chords, rhythm, harmonies, and song lyrics. The recording is considered a separate thing.
Since we are not handing in sheet music, but a recording, do we judge only what we hear (in relation to the brief) or are we supposed to listen ‘beyond’ the recording and judge the idea regardless of how it’s performed and mixed. Since a lot of the feedback I read is about the sound (of a particular instrument) I guess it’s a mix between the two ways of judging. This makes sense because ‘the sound’ of a composition is a big part of what defines a genre. This puts me in a slight dilemma however: what’s the dry/wet ratio of that mix? :P
Perhaps it's easier to explain with an example:
When I compose, I try to hold the chosen instruments and performers in account, especially when I know the end product is going to be a recording. So if I’m singing the song, I will try to write within my vocal range and capabilities. Because otherwise the result will not be satisfactory, regardless of whether I wrote a beautiful melody or not. Most software instruments that emulate acoustic instruments do not sound very pleasing to my ears and/or require vast amounts of automation and articulation to sound how I want them to; The exception being keyboard instruments and percussion (drums). So when I can’t get the real deal, for example a saxophone, I prefer to look for a different solution rather than using a software instrument, especially when it’s going to be a leading part.
If you regard a submission to this SWC as a blueprint / demo of a composition rather than an end result, that would definitely change my approach in that respect. So basically I’m asking you, contributors and Mister Fox, how do you view a submission: final product or blue print?

Happy musicing and philosophizing!
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

Blang wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 00:59 CET
do we judge only what we hear (in relation to the brief) or are we supposed to listen ‘beyond’ the recording and judge the idea regardless of how it’s performed and mixed.
I was actually just thinking the same thing this month, as I could not get a good brass sound (even with a real sax mixed in for some parts!), and brass was a requirement. I came to the conclusion that you're going to be judged on the whole presentation no matter what, so I just did the best I could and tried to cover it up a bit in the mix.

What was interesting to me, though, was that other people seemed to be able to coax a much better sound out of NI Session Horns.
Blang

Post by Blang »

Nice to hear you shared a similar experience. Mixing in an acoustic instrument with software instruments is also one of my tricks for a getting a 'real' sound. The fact that you prefer the sounds others got with the NI Session Horns probably has to do with choosing the right velocities and having variation in velocity (dynamics) and timing. But probably the people who actually used those horns have a more detailed way of describing their approach and tricks :)
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Really enjoyed this month and some great tracks, enjoyed them all :smile:

Grateful to be in top 3 and thanks as always for the helpful comments
I will choose the Synthmaster 1+2 bundle for my prize please