2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC040 December 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
TheVodouQueen

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC040 December 2020 - Winners announced

Post by TheVodouQueen »

Kind of feels like I've been put on the spot here...

How did I get 0 pts for loudness / dBTP? Pretty sure when I had BandLab master and when I finished it I made sure it didn't hit the ceiling. . .

. . .Wow I just did really bad seemingly.
Blang

Post by Blang »

Huh, funny how it goes. This is my third SWC entry and the one I felt least pleased and confident about. Nice not being the sole judge of my own work :)

I would like to choose the Luftrum Lunaris.

Hope you all have a nice sample flipping month!
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Well done Blang, well deserved win with an excellent track :tu:
Thanks as always to everyone for the helpful feedback on my track
I will choose Tone2 Saurus2 as my prize please
Jon
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Congratulations to the winners and thank you to everyone for participating in the competition. There were some great tracks this month. And thanks for the helpful comments.

I choose soundpacks for Synthmaster ONE.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

TheVodouQueen wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:01 CET
Kind of feels like I've been put on the spot here...

How did I get 0 pts for loudness / dBTP? Pretty sure when I had BandLab master and when I finished it I made sure it didn't hit the ceiling. . .

. . .Wow I just did really bad seemingly.
You did not do bad, even though the score sheet might say different.
You participated, you have created something, made music. This is worth more than any ranking.

I honestly really have to take a dive into Bandlab, as I have literally zero experience with this host. Only then can I answer open questions on everything technical. But I'm busy as is. As explanation as to what went "wrong":

You didn't set up the limiter properly. The ceiling should ideally not be higher than -1,00 dBFS, and the overall loudness (if Bandlab measures loudness in LUFS) shall ideally not exceed -14 LUFS Integrated/ILk). Your track went to -12,7 LUFS ILk and overshot in terms of maximum signal strength (peaks) up until +0,70 dBTP (True Peak, slightly different measurement). Therefore, you've lost 4 bonus points. 2 for exceeding the loudness, 2 for your track clipping.

The loudest entry actually came from functionform, his track scored about -9,7 LUFS ILk, and his maximum signal strength went to -0,10 dBTP exactly. In case of EsteveCorbera, his entry was good LUFS wise, but his maximum signal strength went to -0,55 dBTP, which is why he only missed out on 2 bonus points.

Going beyond the suggested(!) limits is not a disqualification factor here (you're only disqualified if you don't give final feedback), the bonus points are an incentive to pay attention to detail.
TheVodouQueen

Post by TheVodouQueen »

@Mister Fox

AH! I see now. That's actually a great thing to know in general practice. I (honestly) had little clue on what you meant until I started digging a bit deeper into the program and learning how to use a 7-Band EQ. I understood the points cost factor, but some technical terms flew over my head. Now I know and can fix that / keep that in mind for future projects.

Also, tysm for the vote of confidence. :D I'll also keep that all in mind and reflect on it. ^_^
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Congratulations to the winners. Thank you for the reviews you have made of the various works. So I keep learning.
Double Tap

Post by Double Tap »

Well done everyone and congratulations to the winners.