2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC041 January 2021 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC041 January 2021 - Submissions until 24-01-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by A Future in Noise »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 09:08 CET
Not Allowed - creating synth sounds from scratch with synth built in sine waves / triangle waves / square waves. You must use the provided sample material in some shape or form. Which is why there are generated "raw tones" provided that you can use as "wavetable", or properly sliced up as "single cycle waveform"
Just to be completely sure, I wanted to ask: There are lots of built in waves in the synths used för modulation. But I guess using the LFOs is allowed, since this would be using "synths and samplers to their full potential (layering, spectral editing, granular synthesis, modulation, etc)". However the Surge synth has a function called waveshaper (don't know exactly what it does). Allowed? (As long as I use only the provided material as "wavetable".)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC041 January 2021 - Submissions until 24-01-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

DSPplug wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 21:46 CET
Is using Iris2 ok? It uses a sample but it's spectral and not technicially a wavetable? I guess I could provide the patch?
Iris 2 is a very interesting hybrid of Spectral/Additive/"sample-based" synthesis

The answer would be: yes/allowed

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 23:50 CET
Just to be completely sure, I wanted to ask: There are lots of built in waves in the synths used för modulation. But I guess using the LFOs is allowed, since this would be using "synths and samplers to their full potential (layering, spectral editing, granular synthesis, modulation, etc)". However the Surge synth has a function called waveshaper (don't know exactly what it does). Allowed? (As long as I use only the provided material as "wabetable".)
Quite honestly... I do not know every synth in existence out there to answer this question in minute detail, this is virtually impossible for me. In fact, I've just updated post #3 with an additional disclaimer, that I'm no expert on synthesizers and that you should ideally cross reference to other sources as well.

However, a quick dive into the manual "Surge" tells me that this feature (waveshaper) is basically linked to the filter section (meaning ADSR and frequency shaping... in this case, the Waveshaper is also linked to the Distortion module).

From my understanding, the answer would be: yes/allowed

Again - and very, very simplified:
the "Oscillators" must be the provided samples.
TheVodouQueen

Post by TheVodouQueen »

Hi guys.

Just swinging by to say unfortunately I won't be participating in this round (or possible future ones for awhile.) Dipped my toe in in SWC040 and with general consensus and this round's theme, I think I'm too undercut to do these challenges justice, and would need access to the gear most people here do, better technical knowledge and a better DAW. I'm ill-equipped and it feels these challenges are better suited for at least intermediate-knowledged and skilled folks.

I'm also unsure if what's in the packs to solely use for this challenge are adaptable or usable in Bandlab.

But good luck with this and future projects. I'll be back when I can do better. o/
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

That is a pity, but understandable.

The Songwriting Competition rarely has limits on tool usage, the "Community Scramble" is a special scenario however. Maybe next the SWC in February 2021 might feel a bit more "entry level" again, or even March 2021. Just keep an eye on the forum, and hop in any time you feel comfortable.

:phones:
TheVodouQueen

Post by TheVodouQueen »

@Mister Fox

TY! I shall definitely come back for sure. ♥ And yes will keep my eye on here, and as I grow in skill and knowledge I will swoop on back to PH test it again. ;)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production
ChopSaVVs

Post by ChopSaVVs »

Hey all, quick question on this one as it is going to be my first entry, I was curious if the x-sub feature in SubLab would be allowed? I know this might be a tricky one but I'm not quite sure if this goes against using anything other than the samples. It basically generates subharmonics and other additional frequencies to help fill out your low end based on the audio file you give it. Just want to know before I dive super deep into this project and then realize I have to rework all my low and from scratch XD thanks in advance, ChopSaVVs.
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

ChopSaVVs wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 14:55 CET
Hey all, quick question on this one as it is going to be my first entry, I was curious if the x-sub feature in SubLab would be allowed? I know this might be a tricky one but I'm not quite sure if this goes against using anything other than the samples. It basically generates subharmonics and other additional frequencies to help fill out your low end based on the audio file you give it. Just want to know before I dive super deep into this project and then realize I have to rework all my low and from scratch XD thanks in advance, ChopSaVVs.
beatlabacademy.com: „Future Audio Workshop’s X-Sub sound generator is more than a synthesizer. ”
I think genereates sound so isn't allowed.
I own Sublab but I can't find a usable manual yet :)
If you turn everything off except x-sub it generates sound.
So I don't think it can be used in this competition, but maybe will answer somebody more experienced than me
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

ChopSaVVs wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 14:55 CET
Try Airwindows Subonly as an effect or Pafnuty or ResEq

https://www.airwindows.com/subsonly/

https://www.airwindows.com/reseq-vst/

https://www.airwindows.com/pafnuty-vst/

Or combine them for some madness :D
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder (a little bit sooner than usual):
As of Monday, 7 days left to submit your production.

If you want to get feedback to your production while you're still in the middle of songwriting, please do so within the next 4-5 days to have enough time to gather some positive words, and continue working.