2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC046 June 2021- Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
dadomachado

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC046 June 2021 - Submissions until 24-06-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by dadomachado »

Hi All,

I hope you like this one and I look forward to all feedback on it. I really embraced the Jam Session vibe on this one. This was motly recorded with real instruments expect for the Drums, which were recorded on an eDrum kit and Addictive Drums 2.

I worked on the track alone and recorded a first version all by myself, then I sent it over to some friends to replace the first takes and make it a jam session. The I also replaced my own guitar takes. Used Slate Digital VCC on all channels.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10wceBL ... sp=sharing

Instruments

Drums
My friend used a roland eDrums with Addictive Drums 2. I rendered the track and treated them as real drums, with EQ, compression and a little distortion on the room track. Sent some tracks to a plate reverb. I used samples for the claps and percurssion loop.

Bass
Another friend recorded it DI. I have duplicated the track, HP on one LP on the other. Some compression on the low one and some harmonic distorion on the other. Sent it to a buss buss to some more EQ and Rbass.

Guitar
I used my Fender Start DI into reaper and then used some virtual amps. The sent it to a spring reverb and delay (theme and solo)

Keys
I ended up using a loop from garage band that I used on my first take, which actually sounds pretty cool.

Sax
My brother recorded the saxophones DI into reaper and sent me the raw tracks. He used his baritone one for the solo. I applied some compression with Pro-C, some baisc EQ and sent it to a plate reverb.

Master Buss
Light compression with slates FG-Red for som glue. On Ozone I added some multiband compression and widening. Minimun limiting as well.

I really had fun doing it. Hope you all like it.

Cheers from Brazil !
dadomachado
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC046 June 2021 - Submissions until 24-06-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production
celiodie

Post by celiodie »

Hi! I hope you will enjoy this very classic improvisation! I made the song alone, at night, in the attic under a window from which I can see the sky.
I used a Roland Fantom 8 starting from a Supernatural piano created by Roland with a patch of sounds (created by me) that respond to the same notes played in real time, but using long releases and delays.
The Fantom 8 was connected to a DAW (Reaper) to record the audio file, and at some point I also ran a G-force plugin with the samples of the historical Mellotron tapes. Everything was improvised in real time without any editing.
The piano and other sounds were recorded live on separate tracks and simply mixed by adding reverb (AU Apple Matrixreverb).

The song is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HT-IAM ... sp=sharing
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

Translated by Google Translate: I will of course soon supplement with information of various kinds. I just wanted to say from the beginning, that I may have misunderstood this month's competition? From the beginning, when I read a little carelessly, I got the impression that the genre choice was completely free. Jam session is within brackets. But after reading again, and taking note of other members' comments, I think I have understood that it is after all the intention to jam? OK, there's a section where a friend of mine is improvising on the piano. But there is not much more improvisation than that. P.S. I really wonder what genre this is?

DAW: REAPER

Singer (?): Myself

Plugins: ZynAddSubFX (classic), Addictive Keys Grand Piano, Hybrid 3 (synth) from Air Music Technology, Kontakt Player, Drumsamples from Akai MPC Beats and GSCW samples, Shortcircuit soft sampler and Sample Tank free

FX: ReaEQ, LiquidSonics ReVerberate LE, IR-files (reverb) from Samplicity / Bricasti M7, Independence Free Delay, LePou amp sim Le456, NadIR by Ignite Amps and a Cabinet-IR from Kalthallen IRs, JS Master limiter, Youlean loudness meter

Last edited by A Future in Noise on Fri Jun 25, 2021 14:15 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Shea

Post by Shea »

Barely made the time on this one. This is my way of 'jamming' when it comes to completing full songs... opening DAW and going wherever the feels be feeling. I had envisioned lyrics but that did not happen. Heard this unique beat and thought it was interesting so I programmed it in and everything else I played while recording.

Piano - kontakt
Guitar - Fender Tele
Drums and percs - Battery and Ableton 707 kit
Cello - kontakt
Bass - Massive
FX sounds - Absynth
Ozone 8

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgu1ag4gpk22p ... n.wav?dl=0
Last edited by Shea on Fri Jun 25, 2021 00:41 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Shea

Post by Shea »

@A Future in Noise
It was a bit confusing using the word 'jam' in this competition. I don't think you misunderstood though and should be fine. I think Mister Fox knows that we aren't all in a trio or jam band and therefore left it wide open for interpretation. Not to say that the participants will be fair in judging thus immediately putting the jam band songs at the top. But I think this is really an -open genre song writing competition- nothing else needed to be said. Maybe I am misunderstanding too.....?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC046 June 2021 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th June 2021, 1:45 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

A very, very warm welcome to all new faces on the forum. And welcome back to our regulars.

If I didn't miscount, we sadly only had 5 participants this month, which is 7 entries less compared to last month (12 entries), and also 4 less compared to last year (9 entries). This might be due to either the heatwave, or participants being scared off with the "free month". But don't worry, you stepped out of your comfort zone and participated. You are already a winner in my book. Please scroll further down below to read up on the game mechanics and the voting process.

The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply (I might add final words regardless / step in if there are ties)
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does apply. (1-position Winners Podium)

There was no (number: 0) production submitted after the deadline
No (number: 0) entry has been disqualified (productions released outside of the game's timeframe)
No (number: 0) entry has been redacted

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 5 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 4 tracks, the staff will will not cast a balance vote, unless there is a tie that can't be broken (or if it would add a bit more spin to the game).

Keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind. As long as we're not exceeding 20 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 4 list can look something like this:
01 (10 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (09 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (08 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (07 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (06 pts) - ...
06 (05 pts) - ...

Please take a look at the last two Songwriting Competition for how your feedback and vote could look like (sans the super technical information):
SWC045 - Song Collection and follow-up
SWC044 - Song Collection and follow-up

Please cast your vote in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode:

Code: Select all

[spoil]01 participant
02 participant
03 participant[/spoil]
Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, the only main criteria to get disqualified if you do not participate). Even if you already gave feedback prior to the deadline, please offer some final encouraging words, and maybe give some additional tips for improvements on the way.

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

:arrow: The Songwriting Competition - Rules and Guidelines have been updated on 19-JUN-2021
The update covers some slight paragraph rephrasing and (finally officially) implementing the Bonus Point Mechanic.

Have some general feedback? Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC046 June 2021 - Voting until 01-JUL-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Thursday, 01-JUL-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

SoundBeing wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 13:52 CEST
"Song for Brett"

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f631vi5u71lfb ... 2.wav?dl=0
dadomachado wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 00:56 CEST
"Homie"

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10wceBL ... sp=sharing
celiodie wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:20 CEST
"Notturno"

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HT-IAM ... sp=sharing
A Future in Noise wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 22:23 CEST
"Yeah"

Shea wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 23:56 CEST
"Enlighten"

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgu1ag4gpk22p ... n.wav?dl=0

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

Please consult the last post of how your vote could look like (which links to more sources). And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the forum usernames in your listing. Thank you!

SWC046 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) is mandatory. Since this Songwriting Competition didn't have a fixed genre, please focus on the "overall experience", and what you think could be improved in a future release of this production. Please be open minded, objective and constructive.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page.
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC046 June 2021 - Voting until 01-JUL-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by A Future in Noise »

When I listened to my contribution recently, the low frequencies were far too strong. I listened in my smartphone with the usual extra-EQ setting and a pair of simple headphones. But when I listened this morning, with a computer, good sound card and good headphones, the low frequencies were just the way I want them. So now I do not know what to believe. Is the bass far too strong? What do the rules say about remixing? I know - I can read the rules myself, but not on this microscopic screen.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

As you know, no changes until the game has fully ended. I would say, wait for the feedback (Voting Period) first, then revisit your production. And if you want to, show us again in this thread.