2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC046 June 2021- Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
celiodie

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC046 June 2021 - Voting until 01-JUL-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by celiodie »

Hi, here's my comments & voting.

Soundbeing- Song for Brett
This track sounds very good to my listening, entertains and moves the muscles. Very effective and exciting rhythm, chords and choice of sounds. I think that the section with the arpeggios comes back too often, resulting just a little repetitive. However, it remains a fluid, fun and engaging listening

Dadomachado] - Homie
It wins you over from the very first notes with a very precise vintage feeling that makes you miss the good times. The sound is equally vintage but built with attention to detail even in the mix with very separate stereo channels. Really good work.

A future in noise- Yeah
Yeah features really elegant and well-chosen electronic sounds, with an analogue and vintage flavor. The beginning is fascinating and invites you to listen, but in my opinion the following course gets lost and becomes colder. However, an excellent essential and balanced electronic sound remains.

Shea- Enlighten
Enlighten deserves a very high mark for a very well done start, with perfectly integrated inverted sounds. Too bad that in the following parts the piece seems more like a base for a cantato that doesn't exist but that makes you want it. Even the choice of sounds, very happy at first, becomes less effective in the following sections. However, I believe that it is an idea that needs to be developed further and that could become a great hit.

Here's my voting
► Show Spoiler
dadomachado

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC046 June 2021 - Voting until 01-JUL-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by dadomachado »

Hi all, very different song this month. Follows my comments and voting:

Celiodie - Notturno
Nice piano sound, very well pleayed. Very relaxing and beautifull tune. Great job !!!

Soundbeing - Song for Brett
Nice groove overall. I like the way the rhythm guitars flow in the background. Nice theme on the guitar, except for a few outside notes (in my opinion). It think it misses a different part to hold the listeners attention longer.

Shea - Enlighten
Nice sounds overall. Don't love the guitar theme. It has a nice vibe with all the effects and reverbs, but to me it lacks a more melodics theme we would remember later.

A future in noise - Yeah
Nice production with many different elements. I like the 80s vibe. In my opinion it's too much synth keys, got tired of it by the middle of the song.

Follows my voting:
► Show Spoiler
SoundBeing

Post by SoundBeing »

dadomachado - Homie

Real nice guitar sound from the start. Overall the mix is a little unclear because of all the reverbs. Reverb on the drums, sax, guitars. It’s just a little washy for me. I do appreciate the performances however. I’m also noticing that the mix seems to lean heavier in one side than the other. Is that on purpose? There is an occasional artifact in the reverb during the sax solo. Example: 2:27 where the sax gets pulled from one side of the stereo image to the other. Happens again at 2:35 and a few more times after that as well. The bass is well placed and played well. It would be nice if there was another section to your song. A different choral section, a key change. Something to move the composition directionally and offer a different element to the journey.

celiodie - Notturno

This is a very relaxing vibe. The ethereal synth adds quite a nice nuance to it. Mix wise: I wish the piano could be a little more compressed. There are some notes that just poke out a little hard to me, especially in the upper register. The piano’s stereo image is so wide that it keeps the piano from being grounded into a space. And the synth could stay further back the way it begins in the top of the song. It becomes a little too present IMO. The piano is very well performed and really holds me right where I wanna be. The movement evolves and emotes. I like that it’s asymmetrical and I feel the improvisational jam vibes with this. Nice work.

A Future in Noise - Yeah

Fun track. Lots of interesting things happening here. I really like your guitar playing. The vocal could sit a little further back and just get rid of that reverb on there. Doesn’t do anything. There’s some groovy parts to this track and I think the mix is well balanced. But here again too, I find the reverbs are mucking up the overall clarity of the track. In general, I find that you don’t need reverb on every instrument. Pick one or two instruments to effect and leave the rest alone. The piano sound is the only thing that sticks out as misplaced. With all of the other instruments, it doesn’t really gel with the rest of the sounds. Might consider a Rhodes piano, or harpsichord. The organ/synths are a real treat to this song. Well done. Is this a jam song, I’m not really sure.

shea - enlighten

Off the top, the track seems pretty loud. I had to reach for my volume immediately. Now here is a track with an effective use of reverb within the drum mix. Dry kick, slight tail on the snare which I find to be well suited to the space of the track. Excellent shift at 1:31. From the wispy cathedral violin to the tickled piano. However, the piano effect later is off for my ears. The slap just doesn’t work there. The guitar, tho a nice sound, should find a place in the mix that doesn’t exist in the entire stereo spectrum. Maybe better placed right up the center or to one side. Like the violin, which is placed very well. By 3:30, the track falls a little flat and is getting more into a yoga pose than a jam. I do appreciate the entrance of the new little acoustic guitar on the left side of the track around 4 minutes in and other elements that come and go through out the composition. Subtle, and helps add a shift in the songs momentum.
► Show Spoiler
Shea

Post by Shea »

Hard songs to judge against each other in this open genre competition. Congrats to all for completing.

Sound Being - Immediate jam band feel. Song probably would've benefitted from an intro. Nice guitar ideas and good playing. Arrangement does seem a bit busy at times... it feels like just a jam session versus a song.

Dadomachado - Nice you had some musicians to collaborate with! Great intro, draws immediate attention. Drums are lacking... a bit thin and washed out. I enjoyed the guitar playing, also the organ and sax... great mix of instruments. Good song flow, not just a jam session. Overall great song that would benefit from a better mix.

Celiodie - I liked the piano playing apart from some mixing opinions. The high notes could be played a bit softer (too much velocity had them hammering in my ears). The pad choice worked well with the piano. Song had a decent progression to it even if it didn't quite hold my attention the whole time.

A Future In Noise - Fun EDM song! I liked the minimal vocals and whistle. Arrangement seems a little messy when piano comes in... I think piano could've used more space and drop the guitar and/or synth in that section to make it more cohesive. A mixing note is that there was some distracting verb on the kick, at least to me.
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your feedback and cast your vote.

Please don't let yourself be disqualified by not participating. The Songwriting Competition lives from the given feedback towards each other.
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

1. Dadomachado - good
2. Soundbeeing - good
3. Shea - good
4. Celiodie - good

I am in an hospital and I am tremendously tired. The hospitals computer is a distaster. I didn't manage to wright more than this. Sorry.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I am sorry to read that. I take it, this is your vote order. Pity that there is no final feedback.

Best wishes, get some rest and see you next month, @A Future in Noise.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC046 June 2021- results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd July 2021, 01:15 (UTC+2/CEST) - the Voting Period has officially ended.

Sadly not all participants have submitted some final feedback (but everyone voted), we therefore have 1 disqualifications.

I will post the results within the next 24-48 hours, please have an eye on this thread.
(this is not an automated process)
SoundBeing

Post by SoundBeing »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 20:07 CEST

I am in an hospital and I am tremendously tired. The hospitals computer is a distaster. I didn't manage to wright more than this. Sorry.
Yo! Sending you well wishes friend. I hope you feel better and stay the course of making interesting and unique music. All the best! :hug:
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

SoundBeing wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:21 CEST
Yo! Sending you well wishes friend. I hope you feel better and stay the course of making interesting and unique music. All the best! :hug:
Thanks pal. I Will. 🥴