2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
canese

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Voting until 01-AUG-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by canese »

Hi, This is my feedback for this month competition. Good tracks overall I loved what I heard and the bar is always high as usual. :hail:

VCA-089 - Universal Plan
Great feelings. I love the textures from the pads and high frecuency synths. The bass is okay, very repetitive, I would love to hear more developing like automation in some of the parameters of the bass. It’s very well suited for a strategic game and it corresponds well to the ambience you want in those kind of games. I think I was expecting something more in the lower mid frecuencies, something pulsating or percussive maybe. Great development, the energy flow very well despite being a long track. Good job.

TrojakEW Endless
I love it, from beginning to end. Awesome track. The only remark was those violins weren’t strong enough when they came, I was expecting more punch and force, maybe a more simple melody or it’s something to do with the mix. But overall excellent job, you nail it.

EsteveCorbera TheFinalAscension}
More chill that I was hopping, very ethereal and space indeed but I wasn’t getting the fast paced strategy game I was hoping to hear. Neat ambience and mood. It’s a great composition.

Irion Da Ronin Foreign Planet
Good, perfect synths textures and sound design. OMG! This slaps hard, this is top quality I’m so move by this lead sound and how it got to the song. Nothing to add here

Becsei György - Journey
Nice melodies, too much for the kind of music we try to accomplish. This is for ambience and backround, and this track need attention. We have too much melodic information. But nonetheless it’s very soothing and moving, I like the harmonies with the melodies.

Cosmic Place. Shea
Great track on its own. Not what I expect to hear in a videogame, but more in a dance track. Nice creative things going on, I love the diferent sounds placed around the stereo field. It’s very calm but at the same time it’s interesting and keeps you focused. Mixing I think can improve the track, it’s very crowded and lacks a little low end.

SoundBeing_Blackout of 2250
Very different sounding parts intro from the rest. I like both, but the 2nd one has more sound to a videogame. It’s very chaotic but suits very well, with some randomness here and there. Overall it’s very muddy and heavy with low end that will bother after sometime listeting.

zach.simao_Space is the Place.
Very engaging from the beginning. I like the dark ambience in your track, I think it fits very well in the monthly theme. Very well crafted or selected the sounds, I like how the organic sounds blend well with the more drone synthetic ones. I would say it lack a climax but it’s okay also without it. The only remark is that it ends abruptly.

Koekepan "Space Theme"
Very calm bells and strings. It will suit very well in any space videogame but I wasn’t getting strategy vibes until the heavy percussion got into the song. This last one it’s not very well mixed in the song, It doesn’t blend too much with the other elements. I like the distorted tuba bass, good texture and sfx.

SimaGT - Starship Of Glory
Perfect. Everything you want it is there. It’s simple but very emotional and with energy. I love to hear this in any videogame, it’s intriguing and also let’s you focus in what you are doing. I love the little details and automations going on.

Askandy Dark Light
Not quite sure what to say about this one. Mainly because its so abstract and unique. I find hard to comment in this because it’s so subjective. I like the creativity involved, definitely it’s a good piece of art and I would appreciate it more in another context, not maybe in a videogame. The vibe I get it’s disturbing and uncomfortable. Mixing speaking I believe drums are little bit to dry, punchy and loud, maybe they need a more in the back because you get distracted from them and you don’t get to hear the ambience in the back.

FutureInNoise_Dot
I think it lacks something, don’t know exactly what, but I get a cringe vibe with those cheesy melodies, strange melodies and very classic timbres. I don’t know if it was intended to sound very alien or something but for my human ears it doesn’t please.

_satchboogie_Space_and_time.
Oh, I totally love this. Very well done, sir. It has a nice groove and also harmonies are delicious. Last part drums are the only remark, they sound too classic and thin. I was hoping to hear more orchestral or synthetic drums. But your mix is good and the melodies also are very emotional. Last remark, it ends too abruptly.

Votes:
► Show Spoiler
SimaGT
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Voting until 01-AUG-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by SimaGT »

Hello
Some nice tracks were made this motnh. Some of them are little of the theme but still sound nice and could fit in some other game genre.

VCA-89 "Universal Plan"

Nice atmospheric intro. That 1 note from the start lasts to long, i would start adding those progression about 30 secs earlier.
That white nose at about 3:05 is a bit to harsh, would like it to be less pronounced and maybe a bit more spacious.
Bass pulse is present throughout the whole track, maybe there should be some resting points where you turn it off then on again.
Finaly at 5:20 nice synth lead i really like it, specially those organic vibratos. The only thing i miss here is some kinda of arp ,
to make it more interesting. Overall very solid track that lead at the end is awesome! Well done!

canese "Into The Wrath Zone"

Very beatiful start, nice plucky strings. Mix is clear and balanced. So far the first minute or so souds more like soundtrack for Red Dead Redemption than
a soundtrack for a Sci-Fi game. Really impresive work with acoustic guitars and backround ambient sounds, lots of things hapening there. Awesome first 2 minutes!
One thing that starts to draw to much attention is that noisy sound that starts to march in about 2 min mark. I would replace it
with something gentler like some kind of wood percussion. Also would rather have some sine-ish bass with gentle drive than that reese but that is
just my personal preference. Overall it might be little of this motnhs theme, but it is awesome sounding track, well mixed
with nice attention to details.

TrojakEW "Endless"

Nice pads and ambience sound at opening. It would be nice to hear some kind of a lead or arp at about half minute but still so far so good.
First minute and half is cool, lots of details, maybe a bit to crowded in lower frequenices at the moments but with a little tweaks this could be nice
space RTS menu theme. So we come to the "action" part at about 1:35, maybe it is abit to distracting for a sci-fi RTS. I would replace those hard hiting percussion
with something softer more in backround rather than "in your face percussion" since we are in space. Overall solid mix and nice choice of sounds.Well done!

EsteveCorbera "The Final Ascencion"

Nice unsettling intro sounds, with some cool disonant vibes. First what i noticed was that vocal phrase that repeats maybe to much. I would halve the number of repetitions.
Also it becomes crazy loud at 1:30, it suffocates all other instruments. Back to calm strings again, at this point i would get more elements in like some 1/8 arps or maybe
some pulsating synth sounds. Solid entry, some nice ideas that could be executed a bit better.

Irion Da Ronin "Foreign Planet"

Awesome! That is my first impression after first listening. Nice outwordl-ish sound in distance, really good choice of pads, nice arp that spreads in stereo with delay.
The only thing I would enhance in second part is that lead. Maybe it is a bit to sstrong, I really want to hear more of that pulsating bass and that big hit in a distance.
Just me neatpicking again, ignore that:D. Some really good stuff u got here!

becsei_gyorgy "Journey"

I like the melody at begining really nice, maybe some synth pad in the backround would enhance the atmoshpere. I feel it is a bit more "story telling " type of a track
rather than ambient. I would put this in the end credits of a game rather then in game while playing it.
Mix is solid and melody that plays through whole track is really emotional and attracts attention.

Shea "Cosmic Place"

Wow what a start u got my attention! After 30 sec i would start adding more elements cause it im starting to lose interest. So, at about 4 min mark things are starting to move ,
it could have happened a little earlier, but still nice atmosphere u got here. Overall nice sounds and ambience is spot on but I would like to see more development and dynamics in
overall arrangement.

SoundBeing "Blackout of 2250"

Ah that intro brings me back to childhood. It reminds me of 90's game music when romplers were main tool for video games composers. So what i feel here is that you have 2 tracks here
for 2 different games. 1-st track lasts 2 minutes and is AWESOME with melodies and chord progressions and second track is longer kinda industrial ambiental with drones and lots of sound FX.
Personaly i prefere the 1-st one. I think this track is off this month's theme otherwise this would have been my favorite had it been cut after the second minute and theme was something like,
"90-s adventure video game".

JanKoekepan "Space Theme"

Nice ambient sound at beginging ,not much going on but pleasant to the ear. And then at about 4 minutes.. that kick doesn't belong here. It sounds like it is made in synth with free runing
oscilators (no phase restart) which makes it inconsistent also it is very dry and too loud. Overall first 4 mintues are nice but after that those loud distorted bases and drums are ruining it.
It might have been better if it had been cut after the fourth minute and just posted like that. First 4 could be nice for game menu or loading screen, since the arrangement is simple but still sounds good.

zach.simao "Space Is The Place"

Nice big hit and cool pads behind it. Overall it is very short and it would be useful if there were a few more musical elements like arps or chords.
Mix is a bit loud in mid frequencies. I set one band in EQ with wide bandwith on 1k and reduced gain about 6dB it istantly sounded much better.

AskAndy "Dark Light"

At first I thought this was going to be a rock song after that guitar riff then shortly after a big surprise. It turns out that this is some kind of experimental type of track.
Well there is alot of cool little things going out there. Drums feel little dry and randomly placed but that was probably intention here.
Overall interesting track crazy little details all around, but it is abit off the months theme.

A Future in Noise "Dot"

Enjoyable melodies at the start really nice. This could fit in some adventure game with cute cartoonish characters rather than sci-fi strategy game in my opinion.
Overall mix is solid, but could use some little tweaks .

satchboogie "Space and Time"

Wow nice huge pad at the begining, beautiful. Calm soft ambience nice piano part, mix is solid. I like the progression specialy that sudden change at 1:41 where it becomes more sci-fi.
Stereo spread of that percussion sound is really nice, that bass sequence really spice thigns up. The only thing i would change is that drumset at the end feels abit thin i would swap it with something more beefy
maybe electronic kit instead. To bad it is so short, would like to hear more of it.

So here comes the hardest part...scoring.
► Show Spoiler
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

For Mister Fox:
Thanks for comments regarding track, this was really helpful. I would like you to consider additional rule to add regarding loudness. You set maximum to -14 LUFS integrated but the is no limit to minimum loudness. All tracks have different loudness starting at -23.8 up to -13 LUFS. Creating playlist in order to listen all the tracks is useless because I need to change volume of speakers every time new track starts. It is annoying. Since the tracks suppose to be mastered making limit range regarding loudness will be good idea I think. For example -15 up to -14 LUFS. This is just for consideration.

Comment for all:
I'm back with some comments on stereo compatibility. All tracks (including my own) have some phasing issues that will not work very well in all devices. Some tracks have minor and some tracks have bigger issues. What I hear and also see on correlation meter it is usually problem on single instrument level and not problem cause by final mix, mostly. Some of you are trying to make some instruments sounds wider and you just simply put some effect on it without checking issues. If used sound, instrument already have some issues out of box adding additional effect like reverb, chorus, delay and so on will for sure make problem worse. So just for fun I included also statistics for your track in mono mixdown. Hope I do not made any mistake since there are lots of numbers. You can check how it affect loudness and also peaks in your track. It doesn't show problem regarding levels of each instruments in your track but it will show you how much the playback will differ in numbers. As example here are also results of Sinatra - Swinging Session track. Even the difference in playback is small the stage and stereo in this track is amazing. Mono playback have almost identical levels on each instruments so track sounds almost same in mono playback. It shows that there is a way to have awesome and wide stage without making problems.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -10.5 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -13.0 LUFS
Integrated loudness -17.1 LUFS
Loudness range 6.6 LU
True peak L -2.52dB
True peak R -1.68dB
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -10.8 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -13.5 LUFS
Integrated loudness -17.4 LUFS
Loudness range 6.8 LU
True peak L -3.18dB
True peak R -3.18dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 0.3 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 0.5 LUFS
Integrated loudness 0.3 LUFS
Loudness range 0.2 LU
True peak L 0.66dB
True peak R 1.5dB

---------------------------------------
VCA-089 - Universal Plan

The track is definitely usable for sci-fi 4x game track but I found the intro bit long and "boring" by looking at it as music piece. What I mean is that there is not much development or changes. That repeating bass is until 3:15 only rhythmic element that plays same pattern whole time that doesn't help in this matter. No additional elements or polyrhythms make this whole part really "boring" and repetitive. That pluck after those 3 minutes makes it better and also filter movement on that bass improve the feel. Some nice elements in track that support spacey mood like that pad and that drone. Really like part starting at 4:25 that introduce some other string element and whole passage act is one big swell until 5:10. That brassy lead sounds nice but melody, theme and playing do not fit much there. It doesn't blend that much with the rest of track. I do not mean how it sounds and fit in mix but musically it is more like bit of different piece. Some vibrato parts are bit weird and unnatural or rather said too much. Mix sound good only that vocal at intro sticks out too much and also it sound muddy. Intro and outro transition are good and you really make almost seamless looped track. Some older tracks have really absolutely amazing mix with great stage that I can not hear much anymore in modern production with few exceptions ofc.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -11.0 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -12.3 LUFS
Integrated loudness -15.6 LUFS
Loudness range 9.3 LU
True peak L -1.27dB
True peak R -1.28dB
DC offset L 0.000% (-165.7dB)
DC offset R 0.000% (-136.3dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -11.4 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -13.1 LUFS
Integrated loudness -16.4 LUFS
Loudness range 10.2 LU
True peak L -1.31dB
True peak R -1.31dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 0.4 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 0.8 LUFS
Integrated loudness 0.8 LUFS
Loudness range 0.9 LU
True peak L 0.04dB
True peak R 0.03dB

canese - Into The Wrath Zone

I do really like the mood. The more I listen this the more it fits to the theme. Nice changes and development make it interesting to listen. Regarding composition, mood and overall feel for me this is the best track. What I do not like is mix itself. Stage is weird and flat even you have some positioning there but it still flat. Even when you switch between mono playback and stereo difference is there and sound in stereo playback have more width but that's all. No depth and instrument separation. Maybe it is because bit of imbalance . Lows are weak and most instruments are glued too much together. They interfere each other. They do not have space to breath.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -14.2 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -15.0 LUFS
Integrated loudness -19.1 LUFS
Loudness range 12.2 LU
True peak L -3.00dB
True peak R -3.10dB
DC offset L 0.000% (-133.8dB)
DC offset R 0.000% (-134.9dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -15.0 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -16.4 LUFS
Integrated loudness -21.1 LUFS
Loudness range 12.3 LU
True peak L -4.60dB
True peak R -4.60dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 0.8 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 1.4 LUFS
Integrated loudness 2.0 LUFS
Loudness range 0.1 LU
True peak L 1.6dB
True peak R 1.5dB

EsteveCorbera - The Final Ascension

Nice intro with some great atmosphere behind. Women choir is also nice but timing seems off. There is a lot of resonances in choir especially on high dynamic levels. It really pierce my ears 1:24 to 1:40. Theme is nice and subtle and I think it can fits the game soundtrack theme. Simple but working. Mix is, well poor, unbalanced with a lot of resonation almost everywhere. Span shows that your frequency range in track stops around 7Khz, and in some part even at 4kHz why?. This could be the reason of track sounding bad without air.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -5.7 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -7.1 LUFS
Integrated loudness -17.9 LUFS
Loudness range 12.4 LU
True peak L -0.98dB
True peak R -0.93dB
DC offset L -0.002% (-95.4dB)
DC offset R -0.001% (-103.2dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -9.5 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -11.0 LUFS
Integrated loudness -20.7 LUFS
Loudness range 11.2 LU
True peak L -2.96dB
True peak R -2.96dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 3.8 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 3.9 LUFS
Integrated loudness 2.8 LUFS
Loudness range 1.2 LU
True peak L 1.98dB
True peak R 2.03dB

IrionDaRonin - Foreign Planet

Very good track definitely suitable for game soundtrack and even as music by itself. I like composition and development in track. Lead on second part is great. Choice of instruments and effects are also good. Mix is not bad but I miss some air in some parts but the track itself is very well balanced in all aspects. Good work.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -9.2 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -10.5 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14.9 LUFS
Loudness range 11.9 LU
True peak L -0.08dB
True peak R -0.18dB
DC offset L +0.001% (-105.4dB)
DC offset R +0.000% (-107.3dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -10.2 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -11.7 LUFS
Integrated loudness -16.2 LUFS
Loudness range 12.6 LU
True peak L -0.35dB
True peak R -0.35dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 1.0 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 1.2 LUFS
Integrated loudness 1.3 LUFS
Loudness range 0.7 LU
True peak L 0.27dB
True peak R 0.17dB

becsei_gyorgy - Journey

Track and composition are great. Mood and overall feel great but for me this is track fits more for movie soundtrack. Mix sounds good and balanced. The more I listen to it the more it feel like movie OST. Instrument choice and composition really moves towards non game soundtrack. I like the track but it is bit off for this month theme..

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -9.6 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -10.4 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14.6 LUFS
Loudness range 7.5 LU
True peak L -1.33dB
True peak R -2.14dB
DC offset L 0.000% (-204.7dB)
DC offset R 0.000% (-192.9dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max short-term loudness -12.0 LUFS
Integrated loudness -16.2 LUFS
Loudness range 7.3 LU
True peak L -2.98dB
True peak R -2.98dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 1.2 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 1.6 LUFS
Integrated loudness 1.6 LUFS
Loudness range 0.2 LU
True peak L 1.65dB
True peak R 0.84dB

SheaShea - Cosmic Place

Great ambient start. Very good mood but I wish there were bit more changes in that background pad. Same dynamics whole time make it sounds repeating after while. Strings at 2:40 sounds too dry compared to the rest. Change at 4 minutes is interesting but that kick, beat pattern doesn't fit there. Atmosphere feels great and that vocal around 5 min add another dimension to it. Very cool. Again that beat doesn't' goes along with that vocal. Composition starting around 8 min is bit chaotic. Too much very different elements with different mood playing at once. Overall good idea with some nice sounds. Mix is not bad but have some flaws.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -7.6 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -8.5 LUFS
Integrated loudness -15.9 LUFS
Loudness range 9.8 LU
True peak L -1.01dB
True peak R -1.01dB
DC offset L -0.002% (-96.2dB)
DC offset R -0.001% (-97.6dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -8.9 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -9.7 LUFS
Integrated loudness -17.2 LUFS
Loudness range 11.2 LU
True peak L -1.01dB
True peak R -1.01dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 1.3 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 1.2 LUFS
Integrated loudness 1.3 LUFS
Loudness range 1.4 LU
True peak L 0dB
True peak R 0dB

SoundBeing - Blackout of 2250

Track start interesting, although mix is very rough and kind off retro sounding. Almost like general midi. What I mean is lack of dynamics on most instruments. Later starting at 1:10 its getting better. Not sure if this first part fits this month theme but second part starting around 2 minutes is interesting. Quite good noise modulation to pulsing bassy sound to the almost brassy sounds. This is quite interesting and aggressive mood, almost like battle theme. Around 5minytes that noise modulation is bit much and even it acts as riser it ends with nothing. Was awaiting some climax there but nothing. But this second part fits the theme perfectly. Ending is interesting too, just because it is different.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -11.4 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -12.8 LUFS
Integrated loudness -18.1 LUFS
Loudness range 9.5 LU
True peak L -2.33dB
True peak R -1.96dB
DC offset L +0.000% (-112.4dB)
DC offset R -0.001% (-105.3dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -11.8 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -13.5 LUFS
Integrated loudness -19.2 LUFS
Loudness range 9.9 LU
True peak L -2.42dB
True peak R -2.42dB
Difference:
Max short-term loudness 0.7 LUFS
Integrated loudness 1.1 LUFS
Loudness range 0.4 LU
True peak L 0.09dB
True peak R 0.46dB

Koekepan - Space Theme

Not sure why but the mood is really nice almost magical. It sucks you in and make you feel the empty space around. Very interesting. Simple but it is really working for me. Too bad you break that nice mood with that synth kick choice there that later sounds almost like snare. Noo, doesn't fit there. You break your track. At first I was exciting because of that space mood and emotion but that aggressive part starting at 3:50 change my decision to put this track to top position. Not to mention that I was thinking that this is the first track that have great mono compatibility without any phasing issues. It was truth only upon that second part that introduce problems with phasing. Mix is no bad or any good good but it was working good for that first part. No no that second part I do not really like sound wise. I get the idea behind, but the idea is not executed very good.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -16.1 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -17.5 LUFS
Integrated loudness -23.8 LUFS
Loudness range 14.3 LU
True peak L -3.65dB
True peak R -4.19dB
DC offset L +0.105% (-59.6dB)
DC offset R +0.051% (-65.9dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -17.0 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -18.6 LUFS
Integrated loudness -25.2 LUFS
Loudness range 13.1 LU
True peak L -4.47dB
True peak R -4.47dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 0.9 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 1.1 LUFS
Integrated loudness 1.4 LUFS
Loudness range 1.2 LU
True peak L 0.82dB
True peak R 0.28dB

zach.simao - Space Is The Place

Well idea is there but it is really just idea not actual track. It is like kind of sketch for possible part of track but no developed enough. Sound wise track sound compressed. Because of that it sound a bit harsh .Some sounds are lost behind that noisy pulsing sound. Also it sounds you have saturation and distortion effect on many sounds there.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -7.6 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -9.5 LUFS
Integrated loudness -13.0 LUFS
Loudness range 6.0 LU
True peak L -1.01dB
True peak R -1.01dB
DC offset L +0.020% (-74.0dB)
DC offset R +0.007% (-82.6dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -8.4 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -10.9 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14.8 LUFS
Loudness range 7.6 LU
True peak L -1.07dB
True peak R -1.07dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 0.8 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 1.4 LUFS
Integrated loudness 1.8 LUFS
Loudness range 1.6 LU
True peak L 0.06dB
True peak R 0.06dB

SimaGT - Starship of Glory

Good start. Great mood, nice evolution. Really good atmosphere. That arp part define the whole track. I like ending too with that lead there. Mix is not bad, bit boomy. What I miss is air that I get only from the one sound there and it is that noise riser - reverse crash? at around 5:20. Wish more sound have this air. Most sound ends at 6kHz with some bit of upper harmonics up to 15kHz.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -10.4 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -11.5 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14.4 LUFS
Loudness range 6.1 LU
True peak L -1.08dB
True peak R -1.08dB
DC offset L -0.001% (-97.6dB)
DC offset R -0.001% (-97.2dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max short-term loudness -12.4 LUFS
Integrated loudness -15.3 LUFS
Loudness range 6.4 LU
True peak L -1.10dB
True peak R -1.10dB
Difference:
Max short-term loudness 0.9 LUFS
Integrated loudness 0.9 LUFS
Loudness range 0.3 LU
True peak L 0.02dB
True peak R 0.02dB

AskAndy - Dark Light

This one is very weird track indeed. Mix of different sounds but also different dry-wet setting. It doesn't work together very much. I do not understand that introduction. It starts almost like kind of rock track. Then it switch to this really weird chaos that do not evolve just continue until again that rock part track. I do really do have nothing to say more. It is really just weird track and that all.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -10.9 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -12.8 LUFS
Integrated loudness -15.6 LUFS
Loudness range 4.7 LU
True peak L -1.66dB
True peak R -1.66dB
DC offset L -0.005% (-85.4dB)
DC offset R -0.006% (-84.6dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -11.0 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -13.4 LUFS
Integrated loudness -16.7 LUFS
Loudness range 5.8 LU
True peak L -1.72dB
True peak R -1.72dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 0.1 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 0.6 LUFS
Integrated loudness 1.1 LUFS
Loudness range 1.1 LU
True peak L 0.06dB
True peak R 0.06dB

A Future in Noise - Dot

Theme and overall mood moves toward kind of country trip. Sounds you used sounds bit cheese and do not support or create space ambience mood, tension. Combination of synth instrument with acoustic guitar creates or rather said improve this trip feel. Also introduction with that storm in back have same feel and atmosphere. Although track and composition is interstice it doesn't fit the theme. Mix do not sounds bad but there are some left overs in sub spectrum even you can not hear it. Example is part with that synth brass starting around 2:40. Look at the frequency spectrum there is peak at 20Hz.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -8.7 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -10.1 LUFS
Integrated loudness -15.1 LUFS
Loudness range 11.0 LU
True peak L -1.08dB
True peak R -0.19dB
DC offset L -1.461% (-36.7dB)
DC offset R -5.001% (-26.0dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -10.7 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -12.4 LUFS
Integrated loudness -15.5 LUFS
Loudness range 11.7 LU
True peak L -1.57dB
True peak R -1.57dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 2.0 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 2.3 LUFS
Integrated loudness 0.4 LUFS
Loudness range 0.7 LU
True peak L 0.49dB
True peak R 1.38dB

satchboogie - Space and Time

This pad in intro is really really cool but you should really check correlation meter because there is a lot of phasing problems on it. Like the mood of the track and composition. Change at 1:40 is really really awesome. Kind of balance between aggressiveness and emptiness. The last part is bit, well... it pure pop. It shouldn't be there. But I do really like the track until the last, third part of track that ends abrupt. Regarding tonal balance mix sounds good.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -8.3 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -11.0 LUFS
Integrated loudness -16.9 LUFS
Loudness range 12.3 LU
True peak L -1.01dB
True peak R -1.01dB
DC offset L +0.158% (-56.0dB)
DC offset R +0.127% (-57.9dB)
Statistics Mono:
Max momentary loudness -10.4 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -12.9 LUFS
Integrated loudness -17.8 LUFS
Loudness range 14.1 LU
True peak L -1.01dB
True peak R -1.01dB
Difference:
Max momentary loudness 2.1 LUFS
Max short-term loudness 1.9 LUFS
Integrated loudness 0.9 LUFS
Loudness range 1.8 LU
True peak L 0dB
True peak R 0dB

► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for the super detailed (almost way too detailed) technical post, @TrojakEW.

Please bring up the topic on LUFS in the Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread and let us have an open discussion about this. Thank you.
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

Thanks everyone who joined this round. It was an interesting experience as usual.

This month it feels like many people took the premise in the initial post very differently. I don't mind different approaches of making things and different opinions, but it seems that some people just making things they are comfortable with. However, there are some great entries this month that was hard to choose for the top 3 spot.

Here is my feedback:

1. Canese - Into The Wrath Zone

Very interesting blend of different instrumental worlds. You can hear an acoustic and electric guitars, orchestral strings and brass, synthesizers and crazy sound effects. It feels quite cohesive overall, the only thing that slightly off is a "marching sound" (a mix of snare and muted guitar strings I guess). The overall production is quite good, but there is a very few elements in a bass register, which actually can be a good thing in "action" scenes with many sound effects containig low frequency information (gunshots, explosions etc.).

I can see this as an action/adventure videogame soundtrack with a sci-fi flavor. It has a kinda Borderlands vibe. Or it can be a soundtrack for a strategy game that has a post apocalyptic style with sci-fi elements. It is had to imagine this track in a space exploration game.

2. TrojakEW - Endless

Very solid production as expected. Perfectly mixed and mastered. Very cinematic feel, a great music for a trailer. Spot on synthetic pads and sound effects. Immidietly sets a dark sci-fi atmosphere. It goes into a very dramatic feel with orchestra and intense percussion.

To me this theme perfectly fits into sci-fi action/horror game. It brings images of a dangerous anomaly, unexpected behavior, alien life forms, things getting out of control. Or it can be a soundtrack for a strategy game where humanity fighting against alien invaders.

3. EsteveCorbera - The Final Ascension

A ver mellow yet very tensive orchestral ambient piece. It has a dramatic atmopshere with an etherial feel to it. There are good balance with synthetic and acoustic instruments. The choir supports etherial feeling, but it sticks too much out of the mix. To me it is the only thing that ruins the experience.

I think it fits the space strategy game, but it is more suited for a some kind of storyline missions. It has a feeling of being involved into a very important event that took ages and may be even lives to accomplish. Think of building a special spacecraft, researching valuable technology or establishing peace after a long war.

4. IrionDaRonin - ForeignPlanet

A very well done concept of a soundtrack. An etherial and dreamy yet engaging. It has that sci-fi feeling for sure. It is all electronic with an old school vibe, so no compromises. Good mix and master overall.

It fits perfectly for the soundtrack. It has a structure that enables to split the theme into layers and phases. It is well suited for an early gameplay stage.

5. becsei_gyorgy - Journey

A hybrid electronic/orchestral track, it has a later Vangelis vibe in it. The different instruments fit perfectly together. While it has some sci-fi elements it forcuses on a melodic and emotional aspects. It has a very meaningful, dramatic feel in it. No complaint with production quality. The composition is a bit too long, the last section is mainly repeting the same melody with different instruments. Perhaps it is suited for special moment in a game where it needs to be that long.

A very emotional theme that has to be a special propouse in the soundtrack. Could be used in the storyline or in the later gameplay stages, for example after declaring peace to a faction you were at war with. It actually could be used in action/adventure games like Mass Effect.

6. Shea - Cosmic Place

A very slow building up ambient-electronic track. The sound effects and instruments fit together, but it is certainly away from sci-fi feeling. It is more about calming/sleeping music. The mix is pretty good, but there is some harshness in high-mid frequency range. When the throat singing appears first time it is kinda unexpected and breaks the mood.

Putting this into a contex of a strategy game soundtrack would be an interesting and unusual decision. It is hard to imagine a proper place for it. It could be used for a sandbox exploration/survival game in an earth-like alien world.

7. SoundBeing - Blackout of 2250

A very 90's style soundtrack containing two different themes. The first one is a kind of MIDI orchestra and the second one is a dark industrial ambient. They both sound nice bot doesn't fit together. A very different stylistics and propouses. The production is quite acceptible in both cases. The syth-bell like sound feels out of place sometimes. It is too delicate for the first theme and too clean for the second one, containing very dirty and gritty electronic sounds (could be used with sample rate reduction effect for that case).

The first theme is souted for a fantasy adventure game. Or may be it can be used for a specific propouse, like a main theme for a faction. The second one is souted for a strategy with a very dark industrial sci-fi aesthetics. It could be used in C&C Tiberian Sun soundtrack.

8. Koekepan - Space Theme

Statrs like a very mellow and dreamy space theme. Variations with the pads and melodic lines works well. The bass drone has a soft and warm character, but it feels too dominat over the rest of the instruments. The second part starts with an electronic bassdrum beat that could be replaced with a snare type of sound and also played with velocity to add more dynamics. The gritty synth outlines an obvious change of mood, but the whole part feels a bit rudimentary as there is no other elements to support it. Instead, there is an instruments of the first section still playing the same thing. Overall track feels a bit quiet compared to other entries, there could be better mixing and mastering.

While the first half of the theme is well souited for the beginning of a new game, the second haf is quite questionable. With that gritty overdriven synth-brass and intense percussion it changes not only mood but also aesthetics of a theme, but at the same time it tries to preserve an initial feeling.

9. zach.simao - Space Is The Place

A very aggressive start. Something terrible is going to happen. Very dark and thrilling atmosphere that has some mystical element in it. Cool synthetic sound effects that gives an industrial sci-fi quality to it. It's kinda short, there could be development into more calm section with softer pads and melodic elements that take you deeper into the atmosphere.

This is a sci-fi horro soundtrack for sure. Think of Dead Space, Alien: Isolation or Prey. For the needs of strategy game it fits very well into some kind of global disaster. An aggressive alien race involvment, a supernova that will likely destroy all neigbor systems, a gaint blackhole that appears and affects the whole map, a some kind of anomaly that in theory can vanish the whole universe.

10. SimaGT - Starship of Glory

A very well designed entry. An old school ambient electronica with mostly pre-programmed arps with lots of automation and occasional orchestral elements. The structure of different layers switching back and forth is very thoughtout. It has that mellow, dreamy sci-fi quality and a calm atmosphere, suitable for monotone actions. For it's lenghth it doesn't feel boring and repetitive, you could loose yourself in it while listening in the background. It feels like it is also can be looped. Good production and mix.

Needless to say that it fits the 4X Strategy game but also it actually fits for the premise in the initial post.

11. Askandy - Dark Light

So this entry is obviously off. I don't know if it is needed to go into deep details. It has it's own thing for sure. I appreciate an effort of some people trying to create music that sound like nothing else, but this is not we were asked to do.

Actually that last minute with distorted guitar and electronic beat was kinda in the fasion of C&C franchise. It could be played on the score screen after a mission.

12. A Future In Noise - Dot

An interesting track by itself. By the selection of sounds, composition and arrangement it is obvious that author followed a particular style. It is kinda fantasy electronica with an 80's B movie soundtrack feel. It is done with effort and care, but it still feels away from the premise.

This is certainly not a strategy soundtrack. It has an atmosphere and mood in it, but certainly not about space. It may work only in a very specific context. For example encountering a planet with an alien civilization, which technology and social structure equals medieval. Or may be it can be used in a very unusual setting like steampunk in space.

13. satchboogie - Space and Time

This entry has some interesting sounds in it, but overall it feels like a collection of sketches with different aestethics. Some of them actually sounded very sci-fi. The vocoder choir and synth riffs felt very nice. There is some strange offset in timing between sounds, it feels like sampled loops that doesn't fit to project's tempo. Also, there is some wierd panning in the intro. It is hard to think about production quality because this entry tries to be everything at the same time.

With such fast change of moods and atmosphere it is hard to imagine this entry in a context of a srategy soundtrack.
► Show Spoiler
IrionDaRonin

Post by IrionDaRonin »

Off Topic
First of all, nice to meet you all, the level of music production here is outstanding.
I hope i will participate more times from now on and meet you deeper.

Second, thanks for taking the time to listen to my track and give feedback. Special thanks to Trojak for these stadistics which is my main subject, we always can improve and make better mixes and master, it's always something that worries me and i would like to know more about that if Trojak kindly could explain more in the gossip thread, i also wonder what plugin used for such great extra job.

Third, i hope nobody feels bad with my feedback, i do not mean any harm. I felt even bad to score lower points because all tracks are very good, i would have given 5 points ahead to everyone as minimum.

And fourth, i'm sorry for not being english native speaker, so the adjetives i use and the way i express are very limited, i hope you understand it, thank you.
So, here we go!

---------

FEEDBACK

Canese - Into the wrath zone
Nice mallets and enjoyable background ambient sounds.
It went a bit to the acoustic/orchestra in the half part, but the overwall arrangement is very good and a pleasure to listen to. Your track has an eastern/epic vibe i like. I loved the final ambient part.
In the technical side, very well mixed and mastered.

Zach Simao - Space is the Place
Big! Interesting textures all over the track, with misterious plucks and huge impacts.
Well done on the rhytmyths in the background, as an ambient track should be, good job. However, due short lenght i missed a bit of evolution, but i can understand it. Good mix and mastered. Well done!

TrojakEW - Endless
Beautiful beggining with those textures and pads. They got all my attention during the whole journey.
Nice lofi drums and reverse sounds. That vangelisque blade runner synth lead got my heart.
Choirs made an evocative passage. Those eastern strings were nice too.
Very well mixed and mastered, no moans here. Good job!

This made me remember a bit of Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack, not quite "spacey" until 2:00 forward, but works well in any other game genre.
Some nice chord progressions and melodies. I enjoyed it more from 2:00 forward, thou.
A bit "lenghy", i prefer shorter tracks, comprimed in more focused ideas.
I would just have used from 2:00 ahead. The outro glitched sounds are amazing, i felt like waking up in the middle of an alien spaceship without knowing what the hell happened to me. Very well mixed and mastered. Good one.

satchboogie - Space and time
Ah, beautiful beginning, totally fits my taste, heavenly pads and soft pianos. I'm not much into horns, but worked well on this piece.
Nice drums and percussive sounds. From 1:40 is a total jewel, lovely! Plus to those lofi rides and hats! Good.
Well mixed and mastered too.

JanKoekepan - Space Theme
Soft tender start, i liked. As i said before in other track, i prefer shorter tracks and focused in main main idea. It needs more effort in mix and mastering, the bass is "loud" in comparison with the pads and background sounds from 4:30 forward and the drums sounds distorted, i've read your entry, i know you got problems with deadline and forgot to EQ again. I enjoyed much, specially the first 4 minutes, it made me relax. Good luck!

Esteve Corbera - The Final Ascension
That pulsing bass made me instant remember of John Carpenter's movies. Beautiful chords and lovely pads and that filter sweep totally got my attention. A proper beginning for an ambient track. Very evocative voices (a bit loud on some parts). Chilling outro. Good mix and mastered (just check out those resonance on vocals) Good to know someone from Spain is on this forum. Good luck, paisano!

Becsei Gyorgy - Journey
Magnificent piece! I can tell you know your music theory and chord progressions, hats off!
This is something i can't achieve, as i don't know much about music theory. A space balad for me, this orchestral/acoustic vibe touched me.
The plucky bassline from the half plus choirs made it all even better. Beautifully mixed and mastered, orchestral is always hard to mix.
Touching and powerful! Well done.

AFutureInNoise - Dot
Those strings again made me remember of Final Fantasy 7. Beautiful usage of vintage synth sounds and acoustic guitar! There are some melodic parts that teleported me to my childhood when i used to play SEGA Genesis videogames. You know well your chord progressions.
Well mixed and mastered.

VCA-089 - Universal Plan
Mesmerizing, this track fits my tastes. Evocative pads and interesting sounds here and there to make me pay attention to the whole track.
Great textures and pulsating bass. The vintage lead was beautifully handled. Vangelisque.
Good outro with loop attempt, i noticed that. Just a bit long, but overall, a masterpiece.
The longer a track is the harder to make a whole interesting passage, and you manged to do it very well.
Nicely mixed and mastered. Good luck!

Askandy - Dark Light
Eriee beginning in a good way, although too much electric guitarish feels a bit away from space electronic ambient theme. Nice use of effects, specially pingpong delays. Bass is great and deep.
Drums needs a bit more of wet to put them more in the background.
And again, a bit long. Overall an interesting piece of something experimental. Brave!
Well mixed and mastered. Good luck!

Shea - Cosmic Place
The beginning of this track got me in love. That vaporous pad got totally my attention, like a breathing, it made me remember of Silenth Hill soundtrack.
The background textures beautifully handled.
The arpeggio from 4:00 plus the drums and some extra sounds made an interesting track, but very long and slow evolution. However, it fits my tastes, i think this is the most ambient track in the contest, i'm a sucker of ambient. Well mixed and mastered. Good job!

The main arpeggios made me insta-remember of Mass Effect soundtrack. Beautiful!
Evocative sounds and evolving arrangement. Very well done. Masterpiece.
Slighty "loud" on bass, but it's ok. Nice use of reverb effects.
Amazing string section. I enjoyed it much. As other, well mixed and mastered.
Good job!
► Show Spoiler
Good luck everyone! And have a nice day :smile:
AskAndy

Post by AskAndy »

TrojakEW Endless- Alien and mysterious. Creepy and disturbed. in the good way. I like the bells . Strings lacked something . nice concept.

A Future Noise Dot- Really neat rise to start the piece. as I listen, I feel like I'm at the Korova milk Bar with me Brothers enjoying a moloko Plus. A intricate design that just misses mark IMO

becseri gyorgy Journey- Dramatic open. Operatic in its development. Stars out kinda sci-fi , 2001: A space Odessy-ish, then turns more a mystery piece. well balanced and structured for game play.

Sound Being Blackout of 2250 - Want the tymps bigger. It's a complicated number. the strings sound like they are " out of a box. 3:00 comes an awesome change, gets radically better for me. Love part B!!

VCA-098 Universal Plan - Long, but this did not become an issue. I was interested the whole way though. The bass beat changes where interesting and welcome; put alot of tension into the piece. Futuristic, driving. I really like the intro and outro . the mids seemed a little cluttered at times. IMO

EsteveCorbera The Final Ascension - I can feel the engine pulse! I prefer the quiet ; it got out of hand Quickly. Good low end. good coda.

canese Into The Wrath Zone - The beginning grabs my attention well. I like the upper mid accents in the background. want more low end over all. this piece evolves wonderfully and compelling.

Shea Cosmic Place - Quite long for the challenge, but enjoyable. Feel like I'm in a forest, not on a spacecraft.

IrionDaRonin Foriegn Planet - Sweet Beginning. Good balance over all. Could be in space ( Enceladus), could be in an ocean ( Star Trek IV).

Koekepan Space Theme - Props for the Tuba (attempt only). Once I turned it up, There was this nice spacey feeling. The beat at 4:30 seemed boxy.

zach.simao Space Is The Place - Wow. Terrifying start. very nice. Great space. The "canon blast" beat thing got a little tired. Really nice sounding piece.

SigmsGT Starship of Glory - Very entrancing. Nice intro. I like how this piece continually unfolds. Its spacey and galactic. great foundation.

satchboogie Space andTime - I am really enjoying how this builds then accelaerates. Super cool. The Coda is quite chill. Short but nice work.
► Show Spoiler

' thing
Last edited by AskAndy on Sun Aug 01, 2021 04:42 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your feedback and cast your vote.

Please don't let yourself be disqualified by not participating. The Songwriting Competition lives from the given feedback towards each other.
satchboogie

Post by satchboogie »

Hey! Thank your for all your efforts you have put into these productions and your advices.
Points in my evaluation: I was looking for parts that could be used as music that is not distracting but still depicts the scenario you are within the game. For me it didn’t matter if the material was short because if the game designer likes the vibe it is possible to make it longer. Also the volume levels can be tweaked. I was trying to evaluate the songs from the perspective of a game designer and music producer (and also by the given requirements of Mister Fox) to cover a new sci-fi 4x strategy game as much as possible.

VCA-089 - Universal Plan
Basic atmosphere. It is evolving as it is opening up. Nice use of pads and mods/verbs. I could find parts that i could definitely build on if i were a game designer.The constant bass line is distrtacting and imagine that would cause fatigue if i played a game for several hours. The evolution of the song is in the bass-chord interactions and clearing up into a synth solo part that is nice. I was missing some arp synths and orchestra elements. Nice song overall.

canese - Into the Wraith Zone
You did put a lot of work into this piece. This music stands on its own as a whole. Mixwise it also sounds good. The start has a nice ambient feel. The chorus is also good but i cannot feel the tension. The chorus has some ambient feel instead of tension. Overall i could use the work in my castle game but not in sci-fi. If you would change the plucked instruments into synths it might work in space because the theme is good. The war hi-hats in the refrain are a bit distracting. Overall a very nice work.

TrojakEW - Endless
The first part of the song gives me the ambient feeling of preparation and the second part is reflecting a conflict. I would reduce the number of the alien effects but otherwise they serve well. The percussions in the second part seem to overwhelm but it can be tuned down to a gaming scenario. You would be my go-to music producer if i would make a game.

EsteveCorbera – The Final Ascension
Very nice ambient feel. Nice violia part on the top. If you would remove the vocal and reduce the pumping feel of the bass or just remove it in some parts i could use this music in an ambient part for one planet. Still i’m missing music for some conflict scenarios.

IrionDaRonin - Foreign Planet
Nicely produced ambient music. It is evolving, melodic parts are taken over several instruments showing your musical skills. Production is also nice. If i would be a film producer and would do a video showing the life in the Mariana Trench i would hire you instantly. You have the skills to make music for video games as well.

becsei_gyorgy - Journey
You always come up with good ideas. I remember your music from the sample competition as well.  I like to see your dedication to music. If i would be a game producer i could use your work for the title music. The whole track is complex and is full of ideas that can have an impact on story-telling. Due to its complexity and attention it takes it would be harder to let it all out in a game scenario. However i see the potential of a music producer in a future product.

Shea - Cosmic Place lower
Nice ambient build-up for one theme. From gamer perspective the ear-candys could be distracting. The same goes for the woman/man voices.

Nice work. Sounds like two different pieces smashed together. Starts with a Barbarian game type of intro from min. 2:00 there is an instant change. From min 2-5 it builds up nicely and holds an interesting tension but from there it stays repetitive with minor elements. The bells are a bit harsh. I missed the blackout feeling. Also feels like you didn't have time to finish it. I miss the feeling of "building" and "collecting" for a 4x game.

Koekepan - Space Theme
Starts with a nice ambient background that could potentially used in a 4x game. It holds up nicely until min. 4. when drum comes in. From here the piece just falls apart. the synth bass and drums make your bus clipping. Probably you didn't roll of the bass. Even if this part would fit in the mix it would be a distracting rhytmical variation while maintaining the same ambience. The start is very nice though.

zach.simao - Space is the Place
Starts with EDM march theme. The bass could be a bit lower in level or some high-mid could have been rolled off to sit better in the mix. The start hints a big theme but it just fades out afterall. No ambient perspective.

Starts out nice, but doesn't change much. Some overdub elements, but after the 2nd arp synth and violin it turns repetitive. This is a one-theme setup that has a lot more potentials. Nice work though.

AskAndy - Dark Light
Musical misconception. Disrtacting and harsh effetcs, arrhythmia. There are some ambient guitar effetcs in the middle which bring some arcade type of feeling otherwise i cannot imagine any part in a pc/console/phone game.

A Future in Noise - Dot
High musical potential in the different parts. Would you have chosen different instruments or at least variations could have made the music more space-like. It rather feels ghost-like at start. Nice hit when the guitar comes in at 0:49 that could have been a turningpoint but it rather goes back. Lot of potential though. A more thourough mixing and some reverb could have smoothened it out a bit. Feels like Ghostbusters 3.0.

cheers,
satch

My votes:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd August 2021, 03:05 (UTC+2/CEST) - the Voting Period has officially ended.

Sadly not all participants have submitted some final feedback (those being: @Shea, @SoundBeing, @zach.simao, @Koekepan and @A Future in Noise), we would therefore have 5 disqualifications.

! Bonus Info
As per the Rules and Guidelines (post #7, voting), I am giving you another 24 hoursto provide feedback to all participants and cast your vote. In this case, your entry won't be disqualified, but penalized with a 5 point deduction.

As this is a "final chance" type mechanic, please use it and do better in future games. Thank you.

I will post the results within the next 48-72 hours (2-3 days) and take "late feedback" into consideration.
(this is not an automated process)

Please have an eye on this thread :educate: