2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Submissions until 24-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

canese wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 15:02 CEST
I've adressed some of the great feedback you guys gave me. I'm just asking for little bit of help here, because I struggle a lot with mastering.

Hi canese,

technically I do not give feedback anymore, but you asked for an opinion and didn't get any yet on this particular mix.

I've listened to the song twice: Beyerdynamic DT990 and PC Speakers. From first listen, it is a drastic deviation from what you initially provided. You've removed the "fantasy strings" part and set off right with the synthetic material, while also changing the BPM and introducing percussive elements. Definitely an interesting approach. Also I'm instantly reminded of Ben Prunty's work with this overhauled entry (which does go a bit away from sci-fi 4X strategy, but still remains in the general area)

Mix wise (and I just checked with your SoundCloud version and the WAV from the post I'm quoting), I consider the percussive work (which is borderline too much snare work, see premise) a bit loud on both versions, especially the snare in the final part. And in certain sections (like towards the last third), you go a bit too hard on the compressor for the whole beat section. I would have maybe added a bit more low-end, because even on my DT990 (which have way too much bass), things sound a bit "thin". Which isn't bad per se, mind you. Just something to look out for as general listening experience. Also, the transition around 3:07 was a bit weird in the WAV version, as if this was a rendering glitch (this is not present in the SoundCloud version). Loudness wise, the SoundCloud version feels more quiet (and a bit more upper mids for that matter, except for the intro percussion). Although my ears could fool me - been listening to so much audio content the last couple of days. Didn't run either version through a loudness analysis yet.

On small PC speakers, the intro part is really nice, but once you introduce the percussion section at 1:47, it cuts through a bit too much. Also, while you can easily hear the synth bass and all, you have no feeling of "oomph" (lowend) so to speak... this is better in of SoundCloud version compared to the WAV from 22-JUL-2021. Still a bit much in places in both versions.

Overall - I like the new rendition. It is a bit "mid-heavy" on small speaker drivers, and could have a bit more "Low-end" feeling on large speakers (but not drowning). It is a night-and-day production change however. Great work!

And now I want to play some "FTL" or "Into the Breach" :thinking:

PS: A minor detail and not a point for disqualification (but definitely for bonus points). Your filename is SWC47 instead of SWC047.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Submissions until 24-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

zach.simao wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 22:55 CEST
hey all,

stumbled on this site a few days ago and was so stoked to see something like this going on! I'm definitely excited to get more involved in the forum going forward, but I still wanted to throw something together for this challenge.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TGXnUa ... sp=sharing

thanks for keeping this up Mister Fox! so cool to see this is happening.

Hello and welcome to the community, Zach.

Unfortunately, you're a bit too late for the initial game's "Client Interaction", but since everyone else got feedback so far while your entry didn't, let me remedy that. As with every other entry, I've listened several times on headphones and PC speakers to get an overall picture.

Let me get to the point of "does it fit the premise": you definitely understood the brief, it could definitely work for a strategy game (doesn't matter if more simpler turn-based or 4X). It does get a bit monotone in places, but it's still fine. It can easily work as distress/crisis theme. Interesting to note - even though the song song is a bit short (well, how to balance "repetition" with "keeping things interesting"?) and it feels cut off at the end, with the right transition it can easily turn into an in-game loop.

Mix wise, it offers many interesting sound snippets (especially on headphones). It also has a nice bass drop simulating a "pulsar" IMHO (that could go even deeper, if wanted). The mix also works surprisingly well on both my old headphones and PC speakers. Enough low-end feel for "large speakers"; with plenty of "sound bits" for headphone users. Going back and forth didn't feel super jarring. So there is really not much I can give on the way, although I would definitely play a bit more with panning and the "low bass".

It is up to you if you want to add a bit more to the ending and/or introduce some more melodic elements or pads at the last minute. It's a very good starting point.

The main request I am having though, please update your post in terms of what equipment you've used (see previous Songwriting Competitions or posts from our regulars like canese, TrojakEW, VCA-089, etc).

Definitely looking forward to hear more from you in future games :phones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production

If you have been sitting on your production up until this point, please make sure to get it done and uploaded within the time limit of the game. Please also don't forget to document your entry (tool usage). To those that already submitted their WIPs (and got feedback), please update your original posts with the main entry, which will make it easier for me to collect all songs for the "voting process".

Sadly, I will not be able to give any more feedback as "client". You all did great work. I hope you enjoyed this "different viewpoint" and could pick up something from the interaction. :educate:
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Hi all,

Thanks to Mister Fox for the very helpful feedbacks.
I updated my first post with the final submission.
becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 19:43 CEST

My final submission:

SoundBeing

Post by SoundBeing »

Take 2 -> Thanks for the review Mr. Fox. :hail:

I would like to submit this composition for consideration. This is a sequence of the story, beginning with our hero walking a Tight Rope, subsequently interrupted by an alarm that warns of a Lightning Storm. And so begins the story of our hero and the Blackout of 2250.

:arrow: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tcw76d78i0ae ... 2.wav?dl=0

Tight Rope, the orchestral section is made up of:
Timpani Drums
Double Bass
Tuba
Cello
Viola
Violin’s 1st & 2nd
Oboe
Clarinet
French Horn
*Glockenspiel
*There are two synth parts that make up the low end and arpeggiated platforms that pollinate the sound, and the track has been shortened.

Lightning Storm, the Synth section, is a blend of several deep bass passes along with arpeggiated patches, all of which were manipulated live during each bounce. The main arpeggiated and delayed synth, I then re-amped with some distortion thru a small amplifier and returned into the session. *I’ve added a timpani, violin and cello (homage to Brian Wilson) as well as a few samples that are heavily effected. :evil:

The entire track is performed in Midi with Xpand!2 and SynthMaster One as my platforms with the exception of a single vocal pass, with the same amplifier chain, that was heavily auto-tuned and blended with an organ and flanger. :sing:

There are a few samples that I procured from freesound.org. They include:
film_static_04 by joedeshon
OvalScan_0003 by Mbazzy
*Morsecode - SOS MAYDAY - daytripper

Plugins:
Waves Gold Plugins
MetaFlange
HDelay
RDesser
Waves Tune
OneKnobPhtr
bx_solo
*Tremulator
*Phasemistress
*AirTalkbox
*LX480 Essential
*RBass

SSL Comp
KramerTape
Abbey Road Mastering Suite
Maxim Limiter

ReAmp:
ModDelay
DOD Fx Supra 55C Distortion pedal
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Fender Champion 600 (heavily modified)

*indicates additions to the original production. :love:

I’ve been enjoying everyones songs thus far and have to say that I’m very impressed with them all.
SimaGT
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by SimaGT »

Greetings,

Here is my entry i hope im not to late.
I went more ambient this month without drums and percussion. After listening some Stellaris and Endles Space tracks that are also without any kind of
percussion/drums I' realized that those are all about chord prog. with soft pads and strings, not much really. I decided to make it slightly more lively with various polyrhytmic arps .

https://soundcloud.com/user-253743970/s ... p-of-glory

Plugins :
BBC Orchestra (free), Labs (free), Massive (old one), FM8, Absynth 5, Reaktor 6, Kontakt
AskAndy

Post by AskAndy »

Hear. I put something together. It is what it is. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OggaUX ... sp=sharing
Imagine loading the game......
The intro is for the game's lead-in, title page, what have you , the few seconds to load, while you watch the wheel spin. THEN comes the meat and potatoes. I am trying to put the user in a game playing mind set. leaving room for the dialog and gameplay FX ( laser basts, explosions, etc. ) Start you off in the Pre- game, Equip, Parameter mode.Which you could say is the underlying theme through out. Game play would begin, so I take you brieflly through various zones/locations , each "zone" could be expanded for actual game play, I simply presenting a buffet . The outro is the Winner/Game Over , pull you out of the game-verse , power theme.
Most of the tracks are Xpand2 creations, like the drums, repeating bass line and a few of the locations.
Vacuum for the bass synth, Ana 2 ws used to creat parts of the mid section,
UVI, Structure free to make some of the details like what I call the pirate cantina moment in the mid section.
The intro /outro gtr is a resurrected riff from older creation of mine.
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

The ending was supposed to make it possible to make a loop of the track. But it seems it doesn't work perfect.

Sorry I didn't have time enough to make the much too exact midi-timing :hidecouch: disappear.

And of course the national anthem from a country on another planet in another galaxy at the end isn't fully orchestrated, in conformity with some other parts.

More information tomorrow.

Plugins: ZynAddSubFX (classic) Guitar: Independence Free Flutes: Sample Tank free

Real sound: Thunder recorded from my balcony back in 2006, I think it was

FX: ReaEQ, LiquidSonics ReVerberate LE, IR-files (reverb) from Samplicity / Bricasti M7, Independence Free FX
Last edited by A Future in Noise on Mon Jul 26, 2021 04:08 CEST, edited 6 times in total.
satchboogie

Post by satchboogie »

Hey !
I started working only yesterday. I tried to come up with some space travel-conflict-resolution scenes. I was using Omnispehere/VSL instruments.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15lfcKj ... sp=sharing
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th July 2021, 0:30 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

A very warm welcome to all new faces on the forum. Welcome back to our regulars, and welcome to those "dipping a toe" into songwriting this month.

If I didn't miscount, we had 14 participants this month (need to double check, things are a bit chaotic this month), which would be 4 entries more compared to last month (10 entries), and 1 more compared to last year (13 entries). Sadly we didn't exceed the 20 participant mark, but I am happy with the interaction, and I hope you enjoyed this month's game. Please scroll further down below to read up on the game mechanics and the voting process.

The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply (I might add final words regardless / step in if there are ties)
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does not apply. (3-position Winners Podium)

There was no (number: 0) production submitted after the deadline (actually, one minute after the deadline/midnight, I'll let that count this month and see it as server glitch)
No (number: 0) entry has been disqualified (productions released outside of the game's timeframe)
No (number: 0) entry has been redacted

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 14 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 13 tracks, the staff will will not cast a balance vote, unless there is a tie that can't be broken (or if it would add a bit more spin to the game - especially this month).

Keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind. As long as we're not exceeding 20 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 13 list can look something like this:
01 (13 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (12 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (11 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (10 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (09 pts) - ...
06 (08 pts) - ...

Please take a look at the last two Songwriting Competition for how your feedback and vote could look like (sans the super technical information):
SWC046 - Song Collection and follow-up
SWC045 - Song Collection and follow-up

Please cast your vote in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode:

Code: Select all

[spoil]01 participant
02 participant
03 participant[/spoil]
Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines (see post #7) on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, the only main criteria to get disqualified if you do not participate). Even if you already gave feedback prior to the deadline, please offer some final encouraging words, and maybe give some additional tips for improvements on the way.

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

:arrow: The Songwriting Competition - Rules and Guidelines have been updated on 19-JUN-2021
The update covers some slight paragraph rephrasing and explaining the Bonus Point Mechanic.

Have some general feedback? Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu: