2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 47 - July 2021

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (theme, submission information, sponsors) and start of the voting process. There will be no Round 2.

Read more about this month's competition further down below.

Please take note of the following
  • Please consult the official "Rules and Guidelines" (most notably Rule Book - post #6) for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game, it's engaging game mechanics (allowed editing/resubmission of your entry until the deadline has been reached) and upload/submission guidelines.
  • IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention for your productions (artist name = forum username):
    • SWC000_ArtistName_TrackName.wav and/or .mp3
  • IMPORTANT: if you only submit your production through Soundcloud, name your files properly prior to uploading and make the production downloadable. The forum can also convert your links into a Soundcloud player through the [soundcloud] BBCode from the text editor (orange square with a white cloud in it)

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information and Sponsors
Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (usually not available if genre is "Free to Select")
Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Results of the Songwriting Competition: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Submissions until 24-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Thursday, 01st July 2021 to Saturday, 24th July 2021 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-07-2021, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

SONGWRITING THEME: "Video Game Soundtrack - Strategic Resources"
GENRE: (Video Game) Soundtrack

Image Source: Pexels, photo by Sam Kolder (night sky) and cottonbro (board game), released under Creative Commons CC0;
additionally Youtube, screenshot of Mick Gordon "10BMTHS2-mick gordon-.mp4" - released under Youtube Standard License - full credits: https://youtu.be/FDYiw1v0P98

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote:Imagine the following...

You're browsing your go-to audio communities, and suddenly a thread catches your eye. It's about a video game developer looking for songwriters for their upcoming game. Curious as you are, you open the thread and read the following brief...

"Dear musicians from all over the world reading this,

we are <fictional company>. An aspiring team of story writers, designers and game developers, currently working on a new science fiction strategy game that is inspired by modern board games, but also well known and beloved 4X strategy games from the last 15-20 years.

Our project is called "<enter name here>". It plays in the near future about 2250 and up, where civilization advanced in such a way, that it is able to drastically branch out into space. But not without any repercussions of course. If you ever saw or even played "Stellaris", "Endless Space 2" or the old "Master of Orion" games for PC, or in terms of board games "Battlestar Galactica Starship Battles" or "Star Wars Armada", you already know our basic concept. Although we are still in the process of fine tuning the game mechanics, the overarching story is already written, reaching up to 5000 years of "history" and global conflicts. We also plan tie in material like a comic. Please take note of concept art here <link to concept art posted>.

We are currently looking for interested songwriters that would breathe additional life into our game. Somebody that can emphasize on the "vast scale" of nigh endless universes, it's various encounters, marvels and mysteries. We are especially looking for a more ambient based soundtrack that can be used on the "tactical map", but also during possible "conflict" close-ups.

As fans of soundtracks from various science fiction IPs, we love a nice blend of synthesizers with pulsing bass, synth pads, and 'real' orchestra sections. Choir sections are optional, as long they fit the overall "ethereal concept" (branching out to space, adventure, higher beings, etc). Which brings us to the (to us important) point that we're not really fans of so called "Epic Music", constantly blasting our ears not only with aggressive choirs, but also up-front battle snares, toms and taikos. We definitely do not want to hear any electronic based music that reminds us of techno. And even though we are fans of the RTS Genre and their soundtracks (think "Starcraft" and "Command & Conquer"), playing those ourselves while growing up, we don't want to go that route musically.

We provided some material for inspiration down below."

Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month, you can create a production in the (Video Game) Soundtrack genre, with a strong electronic influence.

What I'd like to see/hear this month:
Please work yourself through the provided audio material in the "Cheat Sheet" post. The focus here is Ambient / Soundtrack, blending interesting soundscapes with orchestra, sometimes even mutating as the song goes on (e.g. through the help of pulsing bass rhythms). It must feel "adventurous", yet "mysterious" at the same time. This music is supposed to support a sci-fi strategy game, which arguably can get really hectic in places. The music should not take over and distract, but yet (yes, I know what I'm about two write is hard to portray) be able to stand on it's own.

Adding a choir is acceptable. But please keep these sections more relaxed, more "ethereal" (check out the OSTs by "Stellaris" and "Endless Space"). Drums and/or Percussions are possible to use, as long as they're laid-back and not the driving force. Guitars are also fine, if they're acting as support (more sustained).

What I do not want to hear:
Absolutely no "Epic Music". As in: constantly blasting loud choirs, persistent loud battle snares (if it sounds like "Supreme Commander 2", you've went too far!), toms and taiko drums. And even though two of the linked OSTs are "retrowave" and chip-tune inspired ("FTL" and "Star Renegades"), please don't go there either. Definitely no techno beats.

Looking forward to listening to your productions. :phones:
 ! Bonus Info
This month, I am adding an additional twist to the game by trying to simulate the interaction between a company (reaching out to songwriters) and you as musician (providing your musical talent). Something that would happen, if you were for instance booked for writing material for a commercial, a promo video, or a short film, etc.

I will have an ear on your entries, telling you (in a constructive manner) if you're doing great on the brief, or if you need to get back to the drawing board. I will do this up to two times per participant throughout the submission period. With my last feedback arriving on 21st of the month.

This "special" SWC offers a unique learning experience, where you can only win from - no matter if you may take a step on the podium or not. It is highly recommended to join early on, so you can gather constructive feedback in a timely manner and refine your work until the deadline has been reached.

Additionally, if we exceed(!!!) 20 participants this month (as in: 21 or more), I am considering opening up the Winners Podium to a 5-position podium as one time exclusive deal.

Please spread the word! And don't be shy to join the game.

Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules:
  • create a production fitting to the given theme, genre and general premise
  • you can use any tool that is at your disposal (samples, virtual instruments and/or real instruments)
  • IMPORTANT: if you use non-licensed material (as in: non royalty free material from sample CDs, etc), give full credit to the source material
  • do not go higher than -14,0 LUFS ILk/-1,00 dBTP in terms of perceived loudness (mastering). Music doesn't have to be squashed to bits in order to be impactful
  • for newcomers: no productions that have already been released outside of the time frame of the current Songwriting Competition (Spotify, iTunes, Bandcamp, etc), no cover versions or remixes, no ripped acapella's -- please only showcase your own content
  • ADD-ON RULES:
    • <no add-on rules specified>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Songwriting Competition - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Songwriting Competition - Gossip and Discussion

If you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months:
Please consider supporting us

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Songwriting Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

RECURRING LICENSE SPONSORSHIP:

Cherry Audio is kind enough give away one license of Voltage Modular Ignite, plus either a license of "Year One Collection" or "Year Two Collection"
License will turn into NFR
More info on Cherry Audio: https://cherryaudio.com

IK Multimedia is kind enough give away one license of MODO BASS to the winner
More info on IK Multimedia: https://www.ikmultimedia.com

Tone2 is kind enough to donate a license of Saurus2 to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

kv331 audio is kind enough give away a bundle of either SynthMaster 1+2 Bundle, or a freely selectable set of 3 SynthMaster Expansions
License will not turn into NFR, you need to have a kv311 audio user account in order to pick up Expansions
More info on kv331 audio: https://www.kv331audio.com

JRR Sounds is kind enough give away any-1 sound sets or sample set of winner's choice (exception: Bundles)
More info on JRR Sounds: https://www.jrrshop.com/jrr-sounds

Luftrum is kind enough give away either a license of Lunaris, a license of Bioscape, or any two sound sets of winner's choice (exception: Bundles and Nano Electronics)
More info on Luftrum: http://www.luftrum.com

Rekkerd Sounds is kind enough give away 1 sound set of winners choice (exception: Krezie EDM and Neurofunk Vol. 1)
More info on Rekkerd Sounds: http://sounds.rekkerd.org/

Ghostwave Audio (Vincent Bastiat) is kind enough to donate any 2 sound sets to the winner
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com

Hollow Sun is kind to donate one license of "Music Laboratory Machines - The Suite I" to the winner
More info on Hollow Sun: http://www.hollowsun.com

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

Sound / Graphic Designer, and honorary Mix Challenge staff satYatunes is donating one commercial product of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info on satYatune's page: http://www.satyatunes.com/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on instruments, samples and sound sets), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Submissions until 24-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

Articles and Info Pages:

A great starting point is the "Addendum"/Supplementary thread for the Songwriting Competition
Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Music Maps and BPM Charts

Additional Articles on Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_music

Highly recommended watch:
DOOM: Behind the Music (GDC 2017 - speech by Mick Gordon)
Please take note of the explanation of how to interpret "a brief" between the 2:34min and 7:06min mark.

Music examples (selection, Youtube, soundtracks in alphabetical order):

Battletech OST (Jon Everist, most notably: A Welcome Respite)
Crying Suns OST (Aymeric Schwartz, most notably: Idaho Clone 486, Idaho Clone 1504, Encounter Type B)
Endless Space 2 OST (Arnaud Roy aka "FlybyNo", most notably: Memories of the Lost, Dyson Sphere, maybe Geodesic, From the Heart)
FTL - Faster Than Light OST (Ben Prunty, most notably the "Explore" themes)
Halo: Combat Evolved OST (playlist) (Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori, most notably: A Walk in the Woods, Under Cover of Night)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary OST (playlist) (Lennie Moore, Paul Lipson and Tom Salta, most notably: "Still, Moving", originally by Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori)
Into the Breach OST (Ben Prunty, most notably: "The Old Earth", Pinnacle Robotics)
Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars OST (2016) (David Govett and Dan Schiopucie, most notably: Strategic Ambience, Research Theme)
Star Control Origins OST (Mason Fisher and Riku Nuottajarvi, most notably Dust and Grit, Aristocratic Appetites)
Star Renegades OST (Steve London, most notably: Marshmallow on a Stick, The Strong get Stronger)
Stellaris OST (playlist up until "Federations") (Andreas Waldetoft and Bert Meyer, most notably form main game: To the Ends of the Galaxy, In Search of Life, Gravitational Constant, Infinite Being // Leviathans and Utopia: Assembling the Fleet, The Titan, Towards Utopia // Synthetic Dawn -- all tracks // Ancient Relics: Finding Sanctuary)
Subnautica OST (Simon Chylinski, most notably: Tropical Eden, Sun and Moon, Arc Lights, Habitat, Sunbeam)

Movie Soundtracks as additional inspiration:

Daft Punk - Tron Legacy OST (most notably: Recognizer, Solar Sailer, Encom Part I, The Grid Instrumental - first 40sec)
TOTO/Brian Eno - DUNE Soundtrack (1984= (most notably: "Prophecy Theme, "Take my Hand" - guitar sound)

Please also check in with the following threads in the the Gear Talk sub-forum, if you're on the look-out for new tools:
Places to fuel your GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) (the starting point if you're in need of audio tools -- from free to affordable)

Also recommended to check out the following tools, if you're new to/need help with songwriting:
Plugin Boutique - Scaler 2 (highly recommended tool!)
CodeFN42 - Chordz (Transition is also recommended, if you want more experimental/generative MIDI, Free, Windows only)
W.A. Production - InstaChord and InstaScale
Fabrizio Poce / J74 - Progressive (Progressive Standalone might not be available anymore, else the "Max4Life" version)

UPDATED: 31-JUN-2021 05:30 UTC+2 (sourcing content: several hours), updated 00-JUL-2021 00:00 UTC+2
AskAndy

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Submissions until 24-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by AskAndy »

sounds awesome
IrionDaRonin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Submissions until 24-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by IrionDaRonin »

Hello! My first time here.

I have some questions:
Is there a lenght limit in the submission?
Where should i post my track once finished?

That's all for now.

Have a good day! :smile:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Welcome to the forum @IrionDaRonin (nice to see another KVR member in here).

To answer your questions, please also check in with Post #6 from the Rules and Guidelines
  • the track shall ideally not exceed 10min of run-time (but there is no penalty if it does, as long as it stays interesting)
  • you upload your song wherever you want (DropBox, Google Drive, SoundCloud, etc), as long as it's downloadable, then you link it on the forum
Since you're an "One Synth Challenge" (on KVR Audio) regular, let me also note that you're not limited to use one synth. You can use whatever equipment is at your disposal.

Looking forward to your entry!
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

I am bathed in the constant fires of the universe, a foundry for my imperial powers....

This sound like a job for the hardware studio.

I am the mind, the master, the planner and the spider spinning a web of dominion ...

This sounds like a job for the software system.

Decisions, decisions ...
canese

Post by canese »

Koekepan wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 18:54 CEST
I am bathed in the constant fires of the universe, a foundry for my imperial powers....

This sound like a job for the hardware studio.

I am the mind, the master, the planner and the spider spinning a web of dominion ...

This sounds like a job for the software system.

Decisions, decisions ...
:hidecouch:
SoundBeing

Post by SoundBeing »

I have a feeling things are about to get weird. I hope so. :pray:
IrionDaRonin

Post by IrionDaRonin »

Mister Fox wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 02:14 CEST
Welcome to the forum @IrionDaRonin (nice to see another KVR member in here).

So answer your questions, please also check in with Post #6 from the Rules and Guidelines
  • the track shall ideally not exceed 10min of run-time (but there is no penalty if it does, as long as it stays interesting)
  • you upload your song wherever you want (DropBox, Google Drive, SoundCloud, etc), as long as it's downloadable, then you link it on the forum
Since you're an "One Synth Challenge" (on KVR Audio) regular, let me also note that you're not limited to use one synth. You can use whatever equipment is at your disposal.

Looking forward to your entry!
Thank you very much for clearing my doubts.

Have a nice day! :smile: