2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Submissions until 24-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Dear Mister Fox and guys

I have already updated my track to the second version.
It is now mixed and mastered, contains effects and I have added a rhythm below, which I hope will make my work more interesting.

I updated the first post for more details.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Submissions until 24-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 22:36 CEST
Dear Mister Fox and guys

I have already updated my track to the second version.
It is now mixed and mastered, contains effects and I have added a rhythm below, which I hope will make my work more interesting.

I updated the first post for more details.

Hi Esteve,

I just invested the time and listened to WIP2 of your entry. There is definitely a lot more going on and does give a better impression of your concept. Thank you for that insight. It now definitely fits more into the given premise.

Technical:
However, my criticism towards the choir voices sadly remain. Maybe a translation/explanation would have added more. But even then, the production also needs to stand on it's own - which it currently struggles with. For example - the vocals are just too in-your-face and seem to have no relation to a given rhythm. Additional to that, the "Aurora Choir" is way too close/dry and "too bright" for that task (and you did try to add a vocoder around the 1min mark?), therefore sticking out like a sore thumb. In places, the production even distorts heavily (especially 1:20min to 1:40min part). Other "clients" might just stop at this point and move on.

While the FX usage is definitely more interesting and things do gel together more, there are also more dissonances (see into section of the song, where the strings set in on top of the pads). This wasn't there before. A lot of sounds also drown each other out now, while the original WIP was way too dry. Of course this has a completely different feeling on small speakers (in my case, 2" "PC Speakers"). But even there... the "timpani" (which are probably used as "Pulsar"), are almost completely lost. The violins in the last third of the song were actually the strongest part (emotionally) of WIP1, and I wish they wouldn't be lofi and buried in the WIP2 mix. The vocals do sound better (due to the lack of bass and in case of my "PC speakers", also a skewed mid section), but they're still too aggressive.

Please keep in mind, this is my second and therefore final feedback (per production). You did understand the premise, you have great ideas that might fit a sci-fi 4x strategy video game soundtrack. But you still got ways to go in terms of mixing where the song works on all listening environments (large speaker drivers: muddy / small speaker drivers: overall better feeling, but a lot of instruments are lost and the vocals way too intense).

I hope the more technical feedback will help in the long run (usually not the case in such a "Client Interaction Scenario") -- you still got about 6 more days for SWC047. I don't know what listen environment you have. But you should definitely cross-reference with different playback sources (may it be on loud smartphone speakers, a TV speaker, and/or your studio speakers). Understand the frequency balance, use this to your advantage, work a bit more on your mix.

Good luck.
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Hi all,

Thanks to Mister Fox for the very helpful feedbacks.
My final submission:

Serum
Zebra 2
Synthmaster 2.9
Analog Lab V
Pigments
Albion One
Metropolis Ark 1
Majestic Horns
Solo Opera

NLS Channel
Pro-Q3
Waves CLA-76
AMBEO Orbit
Voxdoubler
Valhalla Vintage Verb

bx_control V2
SSL Native Bus
Oxford Limiter
Ozone 9
Gullfoss
Waves J37
Youlean Loudness Meter
Correlometer
Tonal Balance Control 2
SPAN Plus
Last edited by becsei_gyorgy on Sat Jul 24, 2021 08:26 CEST, edited 4 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 19:43 CEST
Hello everyone,

I tried to create something, but so far it only ran for a quick sketch. A bit rudimentary, with lots to improve.
I will probably have very little time to develop it, but maybe ...
The ending might be a bit epic, but it couldn't be otherwise :)

Hi becsei_gyorgy,

great to see that you're joining the game once more. And yes, the link has been good.

After listening, I am a bit divided. You definitely tried to go towards a space themed production. But you're sadly barely scraping past the given premise. First impression felt more like a movie or cutscene soundtrack (I was instantly reminded of Star Trek for example), than a sci-fi 4X strategy video game soundtrack (mission), despite the use of synths and sound FX. At least the first half (with some exceptions between the 1min and 2:20min mark), after that (3:30min) it does work significantly better for a possible "mission/scenario". That ending doesn't go "super epic". In fact, this is what I was talking about in the brief about choirs (nice blend, I really like it!).

Technically, on headphones, the "shooting stars" type synth effect is really strong and can get annoying really quick (especially since it also comes from center). Additionally, there is a low frequency rumble going on starting at the 3:56 minute mark and continues through to the 6:02min mark - then it suddenly cuts off. I think you tried a "feel than hear" approach. And yes, this might work on big speakers - but keep the premise in mind: it should work for/in a game. And the end-users have the wildest setups. There are also other audio cues triggering left and right on top of the music.

On small PC speakers, things look (or sound) completely different of course. Here the whole intricate details on the low-end are gone. The shooting star effects are standing out even more and are way too loud. Due to the completely removed low frequency spectrum on small speakers, the strings also go a bit off the rails in places (first half of the song), second half is better, the bells could be a bit more toned down though. Maybe a 4/4 synth bass (under the bass arp melody, think 1 octave lower than the root note of that melody) might add to your concept by providing some more overall low-end. Might work better than adding cheesy percussion. Maybe try it.

Overall - you're getting the general idea. While the first half shoots past the set goal, the second half works. But you (sadly) also need to get back to the drawing board and handle your frequency sections and volume. If you have time continue working on your production, that is.

Looking forward to hear the next version. :phones:
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Hello,
I have already uploaded the final version.

Good luck to all
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Shea wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 22:40 CEST
Looking forward to your feedback Mr Fox
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvtv677mva02h ... e.wav?dl=0

Hi Shea,

not a lot of text here, straight to the point. So let me please do that as well.

At 12:08min, this is by far the longest production in the bunch so far. Which saddens me to see that there was no additional documentation provided, neither was there a proper filename given. I hope you will remedy this by the end of the deadline. But from experience in this field, I can definitely tell you that just a "have this song, looking forward to your feedback" is definitely short and "non time wasting", but what might work for a company that is on a constant timer, might not work for a video game company that wants to "hear stories".

The production uses a long time to build up and is mostly "ambient noises". At the 3:30min mark, finally things start to happen. Which also brings me to the main criticism that in this case, "longer is not necessary better". Not what I'd expect in a sci-fi 4X strategy game, but more like a turn-based one (I'm definitely reminded of "Battletech" here) or something like "Endless Dungeon". Especially if we talk about the four-to-the-floor beat at the 4:04 minute mark, reaching up until 4:55min, and then repeating a couple of times throughout the production.

Does it fit the premise? Well, yes and no. Your production definitely has a sci-fi esque feeling with the vocals and the smooth pads. But it turns into ambient techno ever so often, which blurs the line. And the glassy/icy bell sound FX on top feel a bit distracting. Furthermore, the brief clearly stated:
We definitely do not want to hear any electronic based music that reminds us of techno.

Technically:
The song is really just too long in this state. I get the idea of the music just being "in the background" with certain elements sparking up again ever so often to keep the listener interested (the "ambient techno" kicks). I like a lot of the provided ideas, the production is evolving as it keeps going. But it also feels a bit cobbled together and relying too much on the same loops. It also has a weird cut at the 7:52min mark, before the Mongolian Throat singing kicks in. As if there is 1/8th of an extra beat that doesn't belong there, or as if there was a weird cut in a video that you tried to adapt to (only that here is no video present to score to). I also can't shake the feeling, that I've heard a similar production before. Maybe I've just worked with too many construction kits/loops and/or on audio material for promotions and commercials. I mean... this could be Zero G samples (Ethera for the vocals), this could be Omnisphere, I've definitely heard the pads plenty of times.

On small speakers, the icy FX noises clearly stick out, while later elements of the song are just getting list (vocal oohs), the synth flute, certain pulsing synths. You can definitely hear the 4/4 kick still on small speakers. But overall, things are a bit washed out after a while. The transition at the 7:52 mark however work quite well here. Maybe because small speakers "eat" certain intricacies and the aforementioned "washed out" feeling masks clashing frequencies. But then the fast tremolo type FX and general FX built up in that section are just turning too intense. You should definitely take another closer look.

Overall... interesting approach that could see a lot of fine-tuning still. Maybe even a cut of 2-3min of audio content. Maybe a "half-beat" (not every 1/4th) to get away from the ambient techno-esque feel in places. I could also think of a "simulated heartbeat" or similar to create "a living being" or "pulsar" type effect. This is where the experimentation comes in. Please Invest the remaining 3,5 days to fine-tune, see where things go. This is not an overnight job.

I'm interested in the final result. :thinking:
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Thank you Mister Fox for the detailed feedback.
Here is my 2nd submission (I updated the link in my first post as well)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EeMSLc ... 1DGA2v12EU

I made several small changes:
new low-end in the first part (added cello line, removed Zebra2),
quieter effects, removed rumble noise, toned down bells, added synth bass at the second part, etc.

However, I did not make any changes in the structure:
I need that intro :smile: , i think the song is complete with this intro part. I know the original idea of the company CEO :smile: might have been different music, the emotional, slow, “hero-theme, only with horns” start in a game menu also holds its place - see, for example, recent battlefield games. But of course that's my opinion.

And as Mister Fox wrote
Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 06:41 CEST
"I was instantly reminded of Star Trek for example"
If a space opera comes to mind right away - mission accomplished :smile:
SoundBeing

Post by SoundBeing »

I would like to submit this composition for consideration. This is the introduction of the story, beginning with our hero walking a tight rope, subsequently interrupted by an alarm that warns of a lightning storm. And so begins the saga of our hero and the Blackout of 2250. :grin:

:arrow: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9jbb595ez2wd ... 0.wav?dl=0

The orchestral section is made up of:
Timpani Drums
Double Bass
Tuba
Cello
Viola
Violin’s 1st & 2nd
Oboe
Clarinet
French Horn

The Synth section is a blend of several deep bass passes along with arpeggiated patches, all of which were manipulated live during each bounce. The main arpeggiated and delayed synth, I then re-amped with some distortion thru a small amplifier and returned into the session.

The entire track is performed in Midi with Xpand!2 and SynthMaster One as my platforms with the exception of a single vocal pass :sing: , with the same amplifier chain, that was heavily auto-tuned and blended with an organ and flanger.

There are a few samples that I procured from freesound.org. They include:
film_static_04 by joedeshon
OvalScan_0003 by Mbazzy :clap:

Plugins:
Waves Gold Plugins
MetaFlange
HDelay

SSL Comp
KramerTape
Abbey Road Mastering Suite
Maxim Limiter

ReAmp:
DOD Fx Supra 55C Distortion pedal
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Fender Champion 600 (heavily modified)

I’ve been enjoying everyones songs thus far and have to say that I’m very impressed with them all. :tu:
SoundBeing

Post by SoundBeing »

And Mr. Fox, if there is still time for evaluation, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks either way!