2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
zach.simao

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- results in preparation

Post by zach.simao »

Sorry for the delayed votes! Here they are…

VCA-089: loved it. Totally thought it fit the brief! Great mix of ambient and thematic material

Canese: really dug the textures you were playing with here. I think at times a little bit stronger pulse might have just moved it a long for a second, but I get how it works as totally ambient too

TrojakEW: really loved how glitchy this was overall. Totally could hear it in a game.

Esteve Corbera: I appreciate what you were doing with the choir/strings instrumentation! Maybe a hair of arpeggiated or pulsing electronic elements here or there could add a little variety?

IrionDaRonin: great blend of musical and textural elements! Epic when the full groove comes in!

Becsei_gyorgy: this felt so big and thematic to me, it maybe bordered more on a film score than an ambient track? Definitely great music though.

Shea: absolutely nailed the ambient vibe. With a track of that length, maybe bring some of the rhythmic elements in and out (sort of fractured) before bringing the full groove in?

SoundBeing: sinister! Definitely appreciate the more thematic, cinematic approach here.

SimaGT: love a good mess of arpeggios! Totally fit the brief!

Koekepan: dug both “halves” of the track, but maybe each could have been blended a hair more? Hint at the other before dropping in?

AskAndy: totally dark vibe here! I liked the sounds you were using, but maybe try to introduce them. Or gradually so it’s not as much of a shock when they come in?

A future in noise: yes!! What a solid theme. Could totally see this in like a sort of quirky tongue in cheek 4x game.

Satchboogie: I think the themes and ideas at the end were really could but maybe could have been developed more slowly or extended a bit more!
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 03rd August 2021, 02:55 (UTC+2/CEST)

We have one more feedback entry "after the deadline" (5pts penalty, no disqualification.

Sadly the missing participants have submitted some final feedback (@Shea, @SoundBeing, @Koekepan and @A Future in Noise), we therefore have 4 disqualifications. Which is a real pity, because there was so much effort put into these productions.

I will post the results within the next 48-72 hours (2-3 days). Apologies for the waiting time.
(this is not an automated process)

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A short update:
Due to various reasons, the results are delayed. I apologize for the inconvenience and waiting time.

I will post the results by Tuesday evening (10-AUG-2021)

EDIT (16-AUG-2021 4:10):
Due to various personal reasons, the results for SWC047 are severely delayed.
I deeply apologize for this. I am catching up on everything "Mix Challenge" during this week (CW33).
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, please let me once more apologize for the severe delays. Due to personal reasons, certain things came to a grinding halt. I am slowly catching up, and I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Since I've been the "virtual client" this month, I wanted to add some final words to each production. As mentioned several times (and throughout the years), to me, everyone of you is a winner as you've stepped out of your comfort zone, experimented and joined such a game in the first place. I really hope to see all of you back in future Songwriting Games.

On to the feedback before I post the final results :educate:

VCA-089 - Universal Plan

Some final thoughts, since you already got extensive feedback for this creation. I still prefer some of the ideas from WIP1, but it's an overall very good production telling an own story. Some instruments still feel a bit too strong/bright. But this is of course a matter of preference. I hope you had fun with this competition.

canese - Into The Wrath Zone

I sadly couldn't give you feedback on your second WIP, which then turned into the final version. You definitely worked more on the mix, although the percussion work is now getting a bit lost, but the intro doesn't sound as fantasy like anymore (due to less effect usage). You went a tad more experimental with effects and modulation..It still has the "Into the Breach" feel, which I really like. This is a really good entry.

Personally I think the the percussion section is muddying things up, but it's not easy to have a certain "sound" while keeping things clear and separated. You have to cut corners somewhere. And mixing is always a matter of preference of course.

TrojakEW - Endless

I still think that the production is a bit on the "too short" side of things. But I still like the switch from ambient to "skirmish battle music". Even though the final violin melody caters a bit too strong to epic music. However, compared to WIP1, it is definitely more balanced and could easily be used in a game. Pity that it's just a 3min long production, I had this song looped for a long time.

Esteve Corbera - The Final Ascension

This track also went through various iterations, and the biggest point of criticism were the vocals. With the final version, the choir finally fits in better with the overall production. I might have still used a different reverb and/or EQ to place them better, but overall it's a drastic improvement. You can now also hear more details on small speakers (like the bass). I hope the interaction helped you improve your production in the long run.

Irion Da Ronin - Foreign Planet

You sadly didn't continue working on your entry. But considering how strong your initial presentation was, the rest would have really just been fine-tuning or making the song longer (and in this case, longer would have introduced a stronger "head cinema" situation for sure). I'm not going to lie, this track might work well if mixed in Binaural. I really hope you keep your productions as backups to maybe revisit them at a later point in time, just for these purposes. This is a very good candiate for such a project.

Welcome to the forum, I hope to hear more entries from you in future games.

becsei_gyorgy - Journey

You did some great work during your first WIP submissions. I still kind of miss the low frequency "feeling" (not rumble!) with the second half of the song, but overall... it's a good balanced mix now, and is a joy to listen to. Even though the intro still feels a bit dry - but this is of course a matter of preference. It is always a pleasure to listen to your ideas.

Shea - Cosmic Place

I am still sad that this entry never really saw any continuation. You (shea) sadly misunderstood what I meant with "shooting past the concept", as in... you took it as complete failure, and then you... sadly just gave up. Here is what I wrote again with my last feedback post. You have great ideas, you have a very interesting style in terms of songwriting. I really hope to see you join again in a future Songwriting Competition.

SoundBeing - Blackout of 2250

WIP2 sadly dropped quite late, so you didn't get more feedback anymore as part of the game. I'm still amazed with your sound design. Version two added even more crazy modulation on top, and you cleaned up some frequencies in the process (making things whole lot more crisp and aggressive). Still not a fan of the intro section, but you seem to have cut that down with WIP2. Definitely among the more creative entries this month.

I really hope to hear some more "risk taking" like this in the future. Most notably the "Community Scramble" game in January. Please keep it up!

Koekepan - Space Theme

Even though this saw a second WIP, which sadly changed a lot from the original presentation, I really hoped to see you go back to your production and fine-tune some more. Maybe even go back to the original idea. In case you didn't see it - here is my feedback on your second entry. Maybe we'll hear more from you in a future Songwriting Competition, including joining the feedback/voting process.

Zack Simao - Space is the Place

It seems like you didn't go back to edit your production. But in case you didn't see my previous feedback, you can check it out in this post.

Welcome to the forum!

SimaGT - Sharship of Glory

Thank you for taking a deep-dive into the provided audio demos (Stellaris and Endless Space). You fully understood the concept of this month's Songwriting Competition, although I must say that you could have still added some electronic percussion work (if you'd be selected as songwriter, I'd definitely ask to offer an "alternative" version for the game). Then again, you managed to create an interesting / ever-evolving production regardless. Poly Rhythm you say, did you use any specific tool for that? I think, the culprit would be Reaktor, as there are plenty of ensembles being able to offer such helpers. Either way, really interesting production that keeps one engaged, nice job.

The mix is really good on small speakers as well (although it could be a tiny bit brighter, as it feels a bit low-mid heavy in places on headphones with large drivers). You do hear some intricate details here and there, and in some places I just wish there was "more". Overall - I didn't know if I was listening to Stellaris, or the Map Screen from Mass Effect.

Very nice work!

AskAndy - Dark Light

While an interesting concept, it does feel really disjointed and chaotic. I can't really tell if this might work for a game in general (maybe in the 1990s DOS era). But sadly not for this particular Songwriting Competition I'm afraid (aka: it's not fitting the premise).

While SoundBeing and Koekepan were experimental with their entries, you're going more towards something that one would hear in a Platformer or "Search Action" (MetroidVania) game (example: Metroid or Carrion). The middle-section of your song actually works the best (starting 2:30 to about 4:20min), then the chaos sets in again.

Your mix does work well on small speakers, as in sound effects aren't too obnoxious. But I'd still loved to hear a more cohesive product, and maybe a different beat, or different ambience on the snare. Should we have another similar game in the future, I really highly recommend listening to the provided audio demos.

A Future In Noise - Dot

I am instantly reminded of two things with this production: video games from the late 1980s/early 1990s "still MIDI synth based music" days, "Space Quest" comes to mind, and good old point and click games from Lucas Arts. Does it fit the premise? Barely... it is very quirky for 4X Strategy. It would work well with the more comedy oriented "Star Control Origins". Still a nice attempt.

I have to listen to the production a couple more times to hear all details. But overall a good mix, although I'd have changed the bass a bit. It doesn't get fully lost on small speakers, but the balance is also not quite there.

For you as well - should we have another similar game in the future, I really highly recommend listening to the provided audio demos. This seems to be a recurring topic, as with every game you ask "can this work, can that work". And I am investing a lot of time for finding examples for each SWC.

You have outstanding ideas - I would really see you play in the middle field ever so often.

satchboogie - Space and Time

Among the shortest production in this month's competition. And it does fit this month's premise - for the majority of the song at least. What doesn't really fit IMHO, are the drums at the end of the production, which also ends abruptly. So I take it as a WIP to find out "what works". But as you pointed out yourself, you started late into the month.

You do offer some very interesting ideas (I'm reminded of both "FTL" and "Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak" once the tablas set in, even though they're off-beat). I'd love to see you revisit the production at some point, overhaul your mix, maybe think of something different with the drums.

Can't say much more to the mix - to me this is clearly a WIP that sadly came in way too late.

You all did great by joining the game in the first place. And technically - I didn't need to cast a vote. But since this game was a bit different than usual, I think adding my own vote is offering an additional twist. And to make everything even more interesting, these votes will get multiplied by 1,5x (client privileges and all).

Want to know what the final results are - please read the follow-up post. :phones:

► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 47

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @SimaGT (145 pts)
  2. @IrionDaRonin (143 pts)
  3. @TrojakEW (129,5 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have 4 disqualifications (due to lack of feedback, see overhauled game mechanics)
We have 0 withdrawn entries
We have 1 vote after the deadline - therefore one -5 points penalty
We have 0 users that tied
  • no ties
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does not apply - 3-position Winners Podium

STATISTICS SHEET:
Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 20-AUG-2021, full sheet)

If you enjoy this piece of information, I can continue doing this for future Songwriting Competitions as well. I create this Microsoft Excel/Open Office Calc sheet regardless (to find out LUFS and dBTP offsets). It is usually just not as nicely arranged.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner. Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 048 (August 2021) is still in full swing.
Please help spread the word to get the Songwriting Competition to 15-20 participants on average during 2021. :help:
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Mister Fox wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 05:28 CEST
First and foremost, please let me once more apologize for the severe delays. Due to personal reasons, certain things came to a grinding halt. I am slowly catching up, and I am sorry for the inconvenience.
I do not think it is necessary to apologize for delay. I do really know how hard it can be sometimes because of lack of time. I was just afraid that something bad happen. Hope everything is OK. I want to thank you for additional feedback.

Congratulation to the winner but also to everyone who joined. My two farorite tracks in this round made in top two. :tu: But all other tracks were good too but there had to be only one winner.
IrionDaRonin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- Winners announced

Post by IrionDaRonin »

As TrojakEW said, i really was thinking something bad happened to you Mister Fox.
Sorry i didn't have enought time to make an improvement, my life is a total mess (always is).
Anyway, i would like to know what is these 2 points in Loudness/DBTP from the chart. As i would like to improve it in future.

To the rest of people, thanks for the comments and your votes.
This looks a nice community to learn and get some feedback.

Congrats to SimaGT for that first place and the rest participants for the good work! :clap:

Now time to pray for the prize, due i only want one thing from the list...

Have a good day everyone! :smile:
SimaGT
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by SimaGT »

Hey all. What a surprise ! Must say i wasn't expecting top spot, got to check those new Loudness rules that seem important . Well done everyone who joined this month some really creative tracks all around and big thanks to Mister Fox for keeping this alive.

I choose Luftrum Bioscape as prize ty.
IrionDaRonin

Post by IrionDaRonin »

Well, i wanted Bioscape, is there any chance to get it or i have to choose other thing?
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

IrionDaRonin wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 18:14 CEST
Well, i wanted Bioscape, is there any chance to get it or i have to choose other thing?
Well I think it is not possible. Try in next round. :tu: I hope I will be able to make something tomorrow for 48. :grin: