2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021- Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Submissions until 24-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

TrojakEW wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 14:09 CEST
Here is my submission - final version. I'm happy I was able to put something together and will ho no time change or tweak it.

Goal was to make some ambient parts with kind of space mood. Few different short parts for that strategic part background music. There is also short part for more action driven part in game with more character and more tonal theme.

https://soundcloud.com/trojakew/endless

Hi TrojakEW,

thank you for joining this month's game, although I am sad to read that you won't have the chance to edit your entry due to time constraints. But if you do manage some extra time, maybe the following feedback does offer you some additional insight.

You mostly understood the premise/brief. There are many intricate details in your production (best heard on headphones, sound FX, glitched noises, etc), and you did opt for the more aggressive percussion work going for a battle theme vibe. But before things get really interesting, the song sadly already ends (that was definitely a short skirmish, so to speak). Considering that ambient material often needs a bit of time to "evolve", 3 minutes does generally feel a bit short (here, it is quite apparent - nice build up, and then the interesting bits are just "cut short"). Not only that, on first listen the initial impression was, that this went a bit too far into the "Epic Music" territory. Most notably the strings in combination with the drums that probably come from "Heaviocity Damage". You did manage to find a delicate balance, but I'd love to hear a longer version where things morph back and forth/evolve.

On headphones with large speaker drivers, the low-end mostly comes from the strings, the synthetic kick and the occasional bass rumble. On small speakers (PC speakers), you can definitely hear more of the intricate details (glitched noises). But here the war drums and violin in the last section are just too much -- which in turn gave me the impression "dips too far towards Epic Music". Of course, finding the right balance is not easy here, also due to the used samples.

Overall - a very interesting production. It is bold and could work in the given context. Sadly it feels way too short and could see some slight tweaks on the drum parts. Should you find the time to extend that version, maybe shoot for twice as much run time, perhaps even add the occasional "Bass drop" in the background as transition effect. And definitely cross-check your mix with small speakers.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC047 July 2021 - Submissions until 24-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

VCA-089 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 14:46 CEST
I have updated my post with a new WIP version...
VCA-089 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 19:10 CEST
About the new WIP version:

I have focused on solving mixing issues and bringing my master to a proper values. There is not much new elements in the arrangement, only a few atmospheric sound effects and layers. I also made an outro section a bit smoother. I'm going to make some final tweaks within the next few days and release final version. With my decisions regarding composition, arrangement, timeline and sound desing it fits perfectly into sci-fi ambient/electronica genre and also fits into my perspective of videogame sountrack that usually build of evolving layers of sound (which actually could go way longer than 8 minutes) depending on the player actions.

Hi VCA-089,

thank you for investing the time and tweaking your mix.

Although the first thing I instantly noticed, is a stronger "pumping effect". This could be due to the bass being more "soft" this time around, or sidechain compression (must be ducking, because this is apparent with the riser sound FX at the 3:07min mark). Due to this, the whole intro part results in faster ear fatigue (headphones) and also less dynamic (it feels squashed). On small speakers, the bass is now almost completely gone (it's there, but subtle) and the first synth pads are way overpowering. Which brings me back to my last sentence, in combination with the ducking, this feels just too squashed. If we talk about the section between 3:30min and 5:00min, then the mix is definitely better on small speakers.

I still can't put my finger on it, why the bass pulse feels out of place in certain sections (especially on headphones). Maybe it's because of the delay that fades in at the 4:00min mark... it feels as if it's not exactly 1/8th in delay (but slightly off). The pads around the 6:00 to 7:20 minute mark are now also quite strong (on small speakers, the noise clusters are actually too distracting in this case, the main lead synth is drowning out ever so often due to that - maybe go more "subtle" with them), and you (sadly) removed the dissonance with the lead synth having the pitch drop at the end of the melody. I know, this is a creative decision, and you're still producing so to speak, but I quite liked the idea. On additional listening, I'd actually also add at least 4 more parts at the end of the production for a possible more seamless transition/loop. it doesn't cut off as instantly as WIP1 anymore, but WIP2 is still having this ending "fade out" and then suddenly there is a cut-off. Let those effects ring out, and keep the "pulsar" just going for a bit longer.

Please keep in mind, this is my second and therefore final feedback (per production). You did understand the premise, you're currently in the tweaking process. I hope the more technical feedback will help in the long run (usually not the case in such a "Client Interaction Scenario").

Please keep it up. I'm interested in your final version. :phones:
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Hello,

I present to you my theme of the month. It is a previous version. We need to finish the mix, equalize, limit, etc ..
I am sending it for you to give me your opinion.
When I have worked on it more I will put the details of the tools I have used.
Thank you so much!

2021-07-18
Dear Mister Fox and guys
I have already updated my track to the second version.
It is now mixed and mastered, contains effects and I have added a rhythm below, which I hope will make my work more interesting.

2021-07-21
Hello
I have already uploaded the final version.

Good luck to all

Technical details:

DAW:
Reason+ 11

Instruments within Reason:
Parsec2
Rack Extension Synthetech Sound Spectra

Instruments:
Sonivox Bing Band
KONTAKT Ben Osterhouse Sospiro Strings
KONTAKT Aurora Choir
2getherAudio CheezeMachine2
AIR Music Tech theRiser

Effects within Reason:
RV7000
The Echo
Pulveriser
Spider Audio Merge & Splitter
CF-101 Chorus/Flanger
MClass Compressor

Effects:
Hornet Plugins HorNetTotalEQ
Waves RVox
AIR Music Tech Creative FX Collection AirReverb
AlexHilton A1StereoControl
Valhalla Supermassive
WAProduction Mutant Reverb

Players and utilities within Reason:
Combinator
MicroMIX
Scales & Chords
Dual Arpeggio

Other tools:
iZotope Ozone 9 Standard
SPL HawEye

Thanks

Esteve
Last edited by EsteveCorbera on Wed Jul 21, 2021 00:57 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

Dear Mister Fox, or anyone else reading this: Is it appropriate for the piece of music to have a distinct beginning and a distinct ending? Intro / outro?

I have not participated in a video game once in my entire life. I have not once used any of the games that are probably in my mobile phone. But I've been sitting in a big internet cafe reading my email, for example. A really big internet café where about a hundred young people engaged in some form of war game. I imagine some of the guys play for half an hour, while others sit glued to the screens for five hours and up.

Then you almost need some form of music that completely lacks beginning and end, don't you? Do you get extra points if you manage to write a piece of music that completely lacks a beginning and an end?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 07:25 CEST
Dear Mister Fox, or anyone else reading this: Is it appropriate for the piece of music to have a distinct beginning and a distinct ending? Intro / outro?
This is why I always go the extra mile to provide suitable reference material. At bar minimum, please listen to given examples from the "Into the Breach" and "Stellaris" soundtrack.

While there are games where there is no definite intro/outro of a song, or certain things just kick into "main gear" (see Command & Conquer soundtracks), the majority of games still has music that has a certain story arc with ups and down. If it can seamlessly loop (VCA-089's entry is such a candidate), then it's a bonus, but not a must.

You will not get bonus points if you manage to create a production which either seemlessly loops or had no intro/outro. Remember: this is your presentation piece to try to "get the job"! It should ideally also be able to stand on it's own.

I'll listen to @EsteveCorbera's entry later tonight, and will give feedback accordingly.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 01:02 CEST
Hello,

I present to you my theme of the month. It is a previous version. We need to finish the mix, equalize, limit, etc ..
I am sending it for you to give me your opinion.
When I have worked on it more I will put the details of the tools I have used.
Thank you so much!

https://soundcloud.com/user-64658930/sw ... lascension

Esteve

Hi Esteve,

thank you for submitting your entry and also getting involved.

In first impression, it is fairly limited in instrumentation and very, very dry sounding. As in, there is barely any reverb/delay at all. It currently feels like an initial recording session, rather than getting an idea where this might go (as effect usage can still influence this mix drastically). You seem to have understood the premise of "sci-fi strategy" (ambient feel, maybe with etherial influences). But I can sadly only take an educated guess with the string layers, the choir and the timpani working as both bass and percussive element. I also have a feeling that this is more like a first draft, than a fully finished production. I miss the more interesting sound bits, introducing movement, etc. I hope there will be way more going on in the final product. So please, do invest the time and finish your entry properly.

Technically:
On headphones, the lack of effects are definitely apparent, and the only "bass" sections are the initial synth strings and the timpani. The choir parts feel a bit off-rhythm. I hope you go a bit more in-depth for that particular decision after you submit your second WIP. On small (PC) speakers, you do get the initial impression of "this might turn big and ambient heavy", but you really only hear "strings" and the occasional synth swell (cutting through, since small speakers with a focus on mid-range frequencies). The bass from the timpani is about gone, but it gives you a more "pulsar" feeling. Sadly, the loud choir parts are now way too obnoxious.

Since this is a WIP still, I'd maybe get back to songwriting, introduce more synthetic elements, some sound FX (bass drops could work here). Definitely do your effects and automation properly. As of this moment, this song feel like something out of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak" or even "Battletech" indeed. But due to a lack of "going further" (e.g. effect usage), a lot of things are just left on the drawing board. Also, I'm very kind and lenient. Others might have just written "boring... not what we look for, please redo".

Take this feedback to your advantage, go all out, and present an outstanding second WIP edit. Looking forward to it! :tu:
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Thanks Miter Fox

This evening, after work, I will try to fix my issue by following your directions.
Thank you so much for the feekback
IrionDaRonin

Post by IrionDaRonin »

Hello everyone! :smile:
This is my first entry in this contest and i hope everything is done correctly. If anything, let me know, please.

Track made with FL Studio 20. I don't know if i will have much free time to edit, improve, etc. My life is a chaos right now.

Synths/Romplers/Samples used:
FL Flex | U-he Zebra 2 | U-He Diva | Rigid Audio Stompbox | Native Instruments Absynth 5 | KV-331 Synthmaster
Few samples impacts, risers and transitions from Black Octopus Leviathan

Effects used:
FL Patcher | FL Maximus | FL Peak Controller | FL Parametric EQ2 | Native Instruments Transient Master | TAL- Reverb 3 | ValhallaDSP Supermassive | Sugar-Bytes Effectrix | Dmitry Sches Tantra | ArcDev Industries ET-301

I hope you like! Thanks and good luck everyone :smile:

PS: I have some doubts yet.
What else i have to do to be a participant? To comment on other tracks?
How does the voting system go? We vote? Only the admin?
Thanks for your time.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

IrionDaRonin wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 20:27 CEST
Hello everyone! :smile:
This is my first entry in this contest and i hope everything is done correctly. If anything, let me know, please.

https://soundcloud.com/irion-da-ronin/foreign-planet

Hi IrionDaRonin,

thank you for submitting your entry and joining the game this month. Apologies for the waiting time, but I finally gave it a listen. Right off the bat, you understood the premise of SWC047 (and it always amazes me how creative some of you are with images on SoundCloud).

I am really liking the overall sound here. It gives you that dreamy / space vibe instantly. There really is nothing more to add - even though my gut instinct tells me "reverberated snare"; but no... the production works fine as is. But as said before with another entry, it does feel way too short, even at very interesting 3:38min.

From technical Things sound well balanced on headphones (again, in my case, way over 15 year old Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's). This however also gives me warning sings, that on small speakers (PC ones, 2"), that the bass section might just drop off and vanish. Sadly I was right on this one. The "kick" (which is probably from Rigid Audio's Stompbox) does get lost in places if the arrangement is fairly busy (wide pads, the glitched noises, lead melody). Again, this is the main issue with small speakers. But you can still easily make out instrument sections - and it would also work in a game. Although, some of the "alien squeals" are really intense on small speakers. Something to look out for.

Great production so far, I just wish it was a tad longer. Great first entry on the forum. Welcome to the Songwriting Competition :phones:

To answer your remaining questions:
IrionDaRonin wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 20:27 CEST
What else i have to do to be a participant? To comment on other tracks?
How does the voting system go? We vote? Only the admin?
Thanks for your time.
First and foremost, please properly name your entry (see the first post of this thread) and make sure your entry can be downloaded.

Regarding commenting and the voting process:
You can already comment on all other WIPs, add some feedback as well. Most important is the "final encouraging feedback" during the voting process however. Everyone is asked to do that. The voting goes via "popular vote" (participants vote for other participants, this is not done like with the OSC with a dedicated engine, but here on the forum as part of a comment). I might add a vote, I'm actually undecided - but according to the game mechanics, I technically do not need to.

I'll summarize the process once the main game has ended. But everything is explained in minute detail in the Rule Book. Hope that helps.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

:arrow: Important for this game:
Please keep in mind, the "client" (presented by me, "Mister Fox") will provide the last feedback on/during 21-JUL-2021.