2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC048 August 2021 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC048 August 2021 - Voting until 01-SEP-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by TrojakEW »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 19:31 CEST
Can I ask you for help? This is the second time you comment that I have problems with resonances. You can recommend me an article, video or tutorial that explains how to detect and correct them. I will thank you very much.
Not sure if I'm the right person to give advice but I will gladly share any informations and experience with you and provide any help you want. I will send you private message with more information later today when I will be at home from work.

Thank you all for all the feedback that inlucde @Rowan feedback. It is not easy to choose correct words in order to describe what I mean in other language so it may sounds bit weird. It looks like most of us here have similar problems with English language.
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC048 August 2021 - Voting until 01-SEP-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by EsteveCorbera »

TrojakEW wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:04 CEST
It looks like most of us here have similar problems with English language.
Yes. Most of us speak another language
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 16:48 CEST
TrojakEW wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:04 CEST
It looks like most of us here have similar problems with English language.
Yes. Most of us speak another language
especially the language of music :smile: . but sometimes I stutter a little.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 17:00 CEST
especially the language of music :smile: . but sometimes I stutter a little.
As we all do. But it is also good way to improve our communication in foreign language, not just music skills. 2 in 1 challenge. :educate:
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

I agree.
That's why mandatory feedback is also good, because it takes almost a whole day to evaluate 10-12 songs, and a significant part of the time is spent translating (google translate can write terrible nonsense when translating from my native language :smile: And here I don't speak about only grammatical errors. :smile: So it's good practice.

in my previous post, I just wanted to point out that we have a common language: music. :phones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC048 August 2021 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd September 2021, 07:25 (UTC+2/CEST) - the Voting Period has officially ended.

It looks like all participants have submitted some final feedback, we would therefore have 0 disqualifications.

I did however see some changes to SoundCloud links and I am double checking votes again as well. No more changes anymore from this point out, please!

I will post the results within the next 48-72 hours (2-3 days) and take "late feedback" into consideration.
(this is not an automated process)

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC048 August 2021 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, I once more apologize for the delay. I really need to get better on that end for SWC049.

Since we only had 6 entries this month, I'd like to add some final words and cast an additional vote (no multiplier this time), to make things a tad more interesting. I know that songwriting is not an easy task, but I really hope to see 8-12 participants in the future. Not only to offer more steps on the winners podium in general. So please, do spread the word.

On to the feedback before I post the final results :educate:
(in alphabetical order)

becsei_gyorgy - Monophobia

As usual, very detailed description of what you did production wise. Including listing every used sample. I was about to ask where they were from, but there they are. Very interesting choice of used tools.

Overall a great "Downtempo" production. I like the laid-back feeling. Though I must admit, listening on small speakers, the mix is fairly bright. Sometimes too bright even, and certain instruments stick out (like some of the vocals are very loud, or the guitar on the right speaker). But then again, this has a mid/late 1990s "overuse of Aural Exciter" feeling, so it's okay.

The intro threw me a bit for a loop, since it initially felt the beat is not "on time" (I think because of the guitar). After a while, you do not notice this anymore however.

Celiodie - Nightmall

This production feels very 1980s "Muzak" meets "Wave" (not Vaporwave... that would "tape wobble" more) -- I mean, no surprise if I look at the used equipment. Definitely laid back, although the radio voice samples are a bit irritating. The song starts a bit too sudden as well (as in: the transition from radio chatter to music could be better). The two biggest things I'd change, is reduce the radio "noises", and brush up the overall mix a bit. Currently it feels like a blanked over the music, while the sound effects are too loud.

But then again, I remember similar happening on my end the time Is started out in the music realm. Just connect all hardware, set some rough setting on the mixer, hit record. Old-school, less work. The trade off - less control of the overall mix. This could have been a design choice this month however. I am really curious what you come up with in future Songwriting Competitions.

Esteve Corbera - Descans

You really pushed Reason 12 (beta? It just got released) as far as you could. Must have been quite the setup. While listening to the first couple of seconds of this production, I was instantly thrown back to late 1990s. If only there were weren't the vocal samples. Not only are they super loud on top of the mix, they're also not working (tonally and pitch wise). Pity really... The lead synth is also a bit distracting and results in dissonances of an otherwise interesting production.

Definitely a nice attempt that fits the premise. But if you were to get back to the production, I'd definitely push back the vocals (more into the mix), try to find the correct pitch. And the lead melody synth could use some editing.

Rowan - Finer Than Before

"Yo what's that chilled-out groove?!" - that's Toontrack Superior Drummer saying "hi", giving us a very interesting vibe reminiscent of a certain UK based "cartoon" Pop-Rock band by the name of "Gorillaz". Yes, I just went there. Once the vocals set in, I was instantly reminded of their first album.

Great production and mix overall, the most "defined" (as in "super clean" instrumentation) in this Songwriting Competition even. Although on small speakers, the "soothing bells" (that make the upward melody line) feel a bit too strong, (same goes for the snare). I blame the focus on upper mids (ah... technology!). And if my Google Fu didn't fail/fool me... you have a couple of short film songwriting/editing credits under your belt.

Welcome to the forum!

TrojakEW - Hope

Wow... instantly reminded of "New Age" music from 1990s here. I was only waiting for the signature E-MU E-II flute ("ERA" says "hi"). Your quest on mono compatibility does definitely work. Maybe a bit too good even in certain cases.

The snare for example feels like it's sticking out a bit. Either lowering the volume a tad, or using a slightly more noticeable reverb might work. This is what makes the song borderline "too clean cut" in my opinion. A bit out of place are the vocals... but then again, I don't know this sample set and if this particular reverb is baked in. Should you ever revisit this mix, maybe pull back on that end a bit.

But overall... impressive work as always.

VCA-089

Another very 1980s, synthwave influenced production. From all entries, this is the most "ambient" heavy even. I love if productions instantly pull me into a time-frame of a certain era, being fully aware "this was made just a couple of weeks ago, but this could have been on the radio in the 1980s". Good work there.

But you're also right... mix wise could have seen some more editing. Like the guitar mutes - they do drown a bit in the overall mix. I also hoped to hear more of the "vocals". They are very subtle mixed in, giving the most focus on the piano and lead synth. And then later on the "synth guitar solo" (even though, this is AmpleSound AGLP, right?). This is where I would have put the most work in.

But I understand the overall "floaty"/underwater concept. Definitely a nice creation that can already stand on it's own as-is.

As always - you all did great by joining the game in the first place. I did not expect all entries to be on SoundCloud this month, them definitely fitting the given premise/theme, and entries having vocals in some shape or form. I think the bar was set quite high this time around. But it's nice to see / hear this. Please show more of that creativity in future games.

And as mentioned above, I didn't need to vote... but I wanted to give feedback (again, sorry for the delay) and throw a possible curve-ball into the score sheet. Want to know what the final results are - please read the follow-up post. :phones:

► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC048 August 2021 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 48

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @TrojakEW (68 pts)
  2. @VCA-089 (65 pts)
  3. @becsei_gyorgy (65 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have 0 disqualifications (due to lack of feedback)
We have 0 withdrawn entries
We have 0 votes after the deadline - therefore no -5 points penalty
We have 2 users that tied
  • VCA-089 has 2x10pts, 1x9pts -- becsei_gyorgy has 1x10pts, 2x9pts -- VCA-089 therefore scores higher
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does apply - 1-position Winners Podium

STATISTICS SHEET:
Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 08-SEP-2021, full sheet)

If you enjoy this piece of information, I can continue doing this for future Songwriting Competitions as well. I create this Microsoft Excel/Open Office Calc sheet regardless (to find out LUFS and dBTP offsets). It is usually just not as nicely arranged.
 ! Bonus Info
Short info:
I am using Wavelab 10 for analysis. As pointed out in this post from SWC047 / July, Wavelab has different tolerances for dBTP max analysis compared to tools like iZotope RX, Youlean Loudness Meter, NUGEN Audio VisLM, etc. The point withdrawal from becsei_gyorgy looks like a limiter overshot which can be fixed by setting the threshold just a tad lower. (again, see the mentioned post above). I might address this in future Songwriting Competitions similarly like the Mix(ing) Challenge.

A sadly had to withdraw one point each for celiodie and Rowan. In case of the former, the file name changed several times, the WAV file (SoundCloud) is just named "Nightmall", while the DropBox download is properly named. Due to this, I cut one point. For the latter (Rowan), I don't know what happened with the SoundCloud account. I could not download the file at first (hence using a different tool to download an MP3), then it was downloadable as WAV, then not accessible anymore short before the voting period ended. Due to this, I have withdrawn one point.

As usual, I did list/analyze alternative releases (MP3s and FLAC). If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC. In this case, FLAC and MP3 are merely for information purposes.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner. Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 049 (September 2021) is still in full swing.
Please help spread the word to get the Songwriting Competition to 15-20 participants on average during 2021. :help:
becsei_gyorgy

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC048 August 2021 - Winners announced

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Congratulations to the winner and everyone for the great songs.

Since I was paying attention to it, I don’t know what’s going on with dbtP, it was all within the limit by my own measurements (Reaper Loudness, Youlean).
I understand that wavelab measures differently, but i can only rely on my own tools (which are also from reputable companies). :shrug:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC048 August 2021 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

I understand the frustration, @becsei_gyorgy. Again, as mentioned both in this post from SWC047 / July 2021 and above (post #48), I will eventually address this. For this month, the difference would have been "minimal", as we only have a 1-position Winners podium.

Since this is quite a huge topic, I might probably talk about this in a separate newst post. Please stay tuned.