2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC049 September 2021 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC049 September 2021 - Submissions until 24-09-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by TrojakEW »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 00:41 CEST
I updated my track
Do not forget that those are just my suggestion. It doesn't mean I'm right in this regards. This is why I have rendered the modified version so you can compare it by yourself and decide. You can use any dynamic equalizer you want. I used neutron because I have it and ozone EQ loads too slow for me. In regards of composition it is always up to you. If you like how it is now then good. :tu:
fjansenson wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 06:30 CEST
Thanks Mister Fox!!! You are amazing and very Kind!!!!
My composition is active and competing?? Do I have to change something or is done by you??
As Mister Fox said please enable download. It is easier to listen and analyze the track if he have downloaded file instead to listening it directly on SC.
Johnny_Fingers wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 00:55 CEST
I'm posting this entry a few days early to make sure everything works. If I get feedback I still have time to make any changes.
Few observations regarding your track. Regarding tonal balance sit sounds good. There are some small issues regarding phasing. Also check your true peak because if you do not want to loose bonus point you should fix it. You should remove that 13seconds of silence at the end. Regarding composition and style I'm not much in that style so it is harder for me to judge. If you can post lyrics because for most of us it will have problem to understand that singing. People here are form around the world including me. It will help us to understand the word because look like that singing is important part of track.
fjansenson

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC049 September 2021 - Submissions until 24-09-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by fjansenson »

Everything Done Mr Fox!!!
Thanks!!!
Johnny_Fingers

Post by Johnny_Fingers »

TrojakEW, thanks for the notes.
-You're right the lyrics are very important. I will post them as a reply to the song.
-In terms of true peak, I thought the rule was -1.0LUFS max peak, which is what I have using the limiter in Logic Pro X and confirmed by the multimeter. Are you seeing something different?
Thanks!
Johnny_Fingers

Post by Johnny_Fingers »

Hello Mr Fox and Contestants!

I'm posting the lyrics to my song Ocean Full of Sand. The lyrics are a very important part of the song. Thank you for listening and good luck to everyone!

Ocean Full of Sand
(copyright, all rights reserved)

Verse 1
The days they are long and the years go by fast
Time drifts away like the spray upon the waves
Don’t hold for less than the words you meant to say
Time drifts away like a cloud upon the wind

Chorus
And you cannot feel the ocean breeze
There is no light
Sometimes all that you think you know
Is just an ocean full of sand

Bridge
Is this how the world is going to be from now on?
Can we climb… back up that hill?
Will we ever see the days that were the normal way again?
Is the world we knew… forever gone?

Verse 2
The past is a sea that runs deep with fleeting years
Time drifts away like the spray upon the waves
Light turns to gray like the sky beyond the day
Time drifts away like a cloud upon the wind

Verse 3
Tomorrow comes today and today is just the past
Plans drift away like the spray upon the waves
Don’t just delay, sing the song you meant to say
Friends drift away like a cloud upon the wind
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

hkgjhjhgj
Last edited by A Future in Noise on Thu Sep 30, 2021 08:15 CEST, edited 4 times in total.
celiodie

Post by celiodie »

Hi to you all, here's my track.

Also in 44.1 24 bit wav: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19h2wp0 ... sp=sharing

The DAW says:
Peak -2.2
LUFS-I: -15.4

The song comes from an improvisation on the piano made some time ago that was in the simple state of MIDI file. For this challenge I organized the improvisation in a better way to give it more consequentiality; then I orchestrated with new sounds and harmonies.
The emotional idea that I thought of for the piece is that of an attitude of compassion and mercy dedicated to all those who suffer from any form of mental pain.
Ideally it could accompany a slow motion video with footage taken in reception and care facilities for those suffering from mental distress, who have lost almost anything. Nevertheless I tried to close with a small light of hope.

DAW: Reaper
Keyboard: Roland Fantom 8 also featuring my own sound samples
Many thanks to Paolo Grandi and his fretless bass
FX & plugins: Cockos, Apple, Voxengo
Last edited by celiodie on Fri Sep 24, 2021 13:40 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.
canese

Post by canese »

Hello guys,

I'm sharing this song for the monthly competition. https://drive.google.com/file/d/14pqckG ... sp=sharing

I wanted to create a sad vibe :cry: , so in my mind I had this piano and string timbres I wanted to exploit. I sat at the piano and played around and found this really cool melody in 5/4 :gotidea: . So I built the song around it. And while some parts are more forced than others I'm pretty happy with the result (first time finishing a song in this time signature).

Song is in G minor
BPM: 63
Structure: intro-verse-chorus-interlude-verse2-chorus2-interlude2-bridge-chorus3-outro

Track was made in FL studio 12
Instruments:
Piano: Fl Studio grand piano layered with Kontakt piano and and e-piano from korg
Strings: Massive and sampled strings from Fl
Bass: Modo bass layered with a bass form Sakura
Percussion: From Harmor and Addictive drums 2

It had some ambient pads in the bottom but I mixed them very very low so they don't count. I wasn't sure if the song needed more ambience or not (maybe static from vinyl or something could work in the future)

Hope you like it, and I'll welcome all your nice feedbacks.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Johnny_Fingers wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 17:01 CEST
-In terms of true peak, I thought the rule was -1.0LUFS max peak, which is what I have using the limiter in Logic Pro X and confirmed by the multimeter. Are you seeing something different?
You are almost there but RX shows those numbers on your track:
True peak L -0.99dB
True peak R -0.97dB
Johnny_Fingers

Post by Johnny_Fingers »

TrojakEW wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 20:54 CEST
Johnny_Fingers wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 17:01 CEST
You are almost there but RX shows those numbers on your track:
True peak L -0.99dB
True peak R -0.97dB
Oh, hmmm, thanks for letting me know. Sorry, what is RX?

If this is DAW-specific it's going to be difficult to know for sure what the real value is. Logic Pro X limiter is set to -1.0dB and the multimeter and volume meter both show True Peak L and R at -1.0dB.

Mr. Fox is there an official way to measure so I know what value I really have? I don't want to lose points because of Logic.