2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC050 October 2021 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC050 October 2021 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 50 - October 2021

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (theme, submission information, sponsors) and start of the voting process. There will be no Round 2.

Before you get started, please consult the official "Rules and Guidelines" (most notably Rule Book - post #6) for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game, it's engaging game mechanics (allowed editing/re-submission of your entry until the deadline has been reached) and upload/submission guidelines.

Read more about this month's competition further down below.

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information and Sponsors
Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (usually not available if genre is "Free to Select")
Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Results of the Songwriting Competition: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC050 October 2021 - Submissions until 24-10-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Friday, 01st October 2021 to Sunday, 24th October 2021 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-10-2021, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

SONGWRITING THEME: "Wicked Party"
GENRE: free to select

Image Source: Pixabay, photo by PublicDomainPictures, released under Creative Commons CC0

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote: We're in the "Fall Season" on the northern hemisphere. Hoodie season, warm colors, campfires and many holiday celebrations coming up. In fact, we can celebrate our 50th Songwriting Competition this month. This... actually caught me a bit off guard to be honest. I initially had plans for something "ghost related" this October. But the last couple of weeks have been very chaotic on my end.

So why not keep things simple and uplifting?

Let us commemorate this season, celebrate a good crop (Erntedank / Harvest festival), the warm color tones we'll see in the coming months, and of course the "spooky season" (Halloween, Día de Muertos).

How? With making music in our 50th Songwriting Competition of course! :notes:

Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month, you can (once more) create a production in any genre you feel like.

You can use whatever tools are at your disposal, but the music must be somewhat celebratory. The theme is "Wicked Party", but see it as a generic term. Just celebrate "Autumn" (harvest, the season in general, "spooky doots" and what have you).

It can be a Mariachi band, it can be a marching Jazz band going through town in New Orleans, it can be an floor shaking Electronic anthem, it can be a Hard Rock production, it can be Pop music, nerdy Hip Hop. It doesn't matter. As long as you make music in the first place, and have fun doing so!

As always, I am curious what you come up with. :phones:
And the more people join, the more interaction and feedback. So please spread the word!

Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules:
  • create a production fitting to the given theme, genre and general premise
  • you can use any tool that is at your disposal (samples, virtual instruments and/or real instruments)
  • IMPORTANT: if you use non-licensed material (as in: non royalty free material from sample CDs, etc), give full credit to the source material
  • for newcomers: no productions that have already been released outside of the time frame of the current Songwriting Competition (Spotify, iTunes, Bandcamp, etc), no cover versions or remixes, no ripped acapella's -- please only showcase your own content
  • do not go higher than -14,0 LUFS ILk/-1,00 dBTP in terms of perceived loudness (mastering). Music doesn't have to be squashed to bits in order to be impactful
  • name your files properly prior to uploading and make the production downloadable. If you opt to present your entry through SoundCloud, the forum can also convert your links into a Soundcloud player through the [soundcloud] BBCode from the text editor (orange square with a white cloud in it)
  • ADD-ON RULES:
    • Filename Template: SWC000_ArtistName_TrackName.wav and/or .mp3
    • <no add-on rules specified>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Songwriting Competition - Official Rules and Guidelines (most notably Rule Book - post #6)

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Songwriting Competition - Gossip and Discussion

If you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months:
Please consider supporting us

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Songwriting Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

RECURRING LICENSE SPONSORSHIP:

Cherry Audio is kind enough give away one license of Voltage Modular Ignite, plus either a license of "Year One Collection" or "Year Two Collection"
License will turn into NFR
More info on Cherry Audio: https://cherryaudio.com

IK Multimedia is kind enough give away one license of MODO BASS to the winner
More info on IK Multimedia: https://www.ikmultimedia.com

Tone2 is kind enough to donate a license of Saurus3 to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

kv331 audio is kind enough give away a bundle of either SynthMaster 1+2 Bundle, or a freely selectable set of 3 SynthMaster Expansions
License will not turn into NFR, you need to have a kv311 audio user account in order to pick up Expansions
More info on kv331 audio: https://www.kv331audio.com

JRR Sounds is kind enough give away any-1 sound sets or sample set of winner's choice (exception: Bundles)
More info on JRR Sounds: https://www.jrrshop.com/jrr-sounds

Luftrum is kind enough give away either a license of Lunaris, a license of Bioscape, or any two sound sets of winner's choice (exception: Bundles and Nano Electronics)
More info on Luftrum: http://www.luftrum.com

Rekkerd Sounds is kind enough give away 1 sound set of winners choice (exception: Krezie EDM and Neurofunk Vol. 1)
More info on Rekkerd Sounds: http://sounds.rekkerd.org/

Ghostwave Audio (Vincent Bastiat) is kind enough to donate any 2 sound sets to the winner
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com

Hollow Sun is kind to donate one license of "Music Laboratory Machines - The Suite I" to the winner
More info on Hollow Sun: http://www.hollowsun.com

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

Sound / Graphic Designer, and honorary Mix Challenge staff satYatunes is donating one commercial product of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info on satYatune's page: http://www.satyatunes.com/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on instruments, samples and sound sets), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC050 October 2021 - Submissions until 24-10-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

Articles and Info Pages:

A great starting point is the "Addendum"/Supplementary thread for the Songwriting Competition
Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Music Maps and BPM Charts

This month, there are no additional Wikipedia articles, as the genre is "free to select".

Music examples (selection):

<no audio examples as genre is "free to select" -- but maybe some inspiration!>

Louis Armstrong - Spooks (1954, Jazz)
Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982, Pop)
Michael Jackson - Ghosts (1996, shortened music video, pop)
Andrew Gold - Spooky Scary Skeletons (Undead Tombstone Remix) (1996, 2019, Electro Swing)
Horrorpops - Ghouls (2004, Punk Rock)
Marilyn Manson - This is Halloween (1993 originally from Danny Elfman, 2006, Industrial Metal)
deadmau5 feat. Rob Swire - Ghosts N Stuff (2008, Electronic)
DE The Hillbilly Moon Explosion - 'My Love For Evermore' (ft. Sparky from Demented Are Go) (2011, Rockabilly)
New Orleans Jazz Quartett - Canal Street Blues (2011, Jazz)
Mirrored Theory - Zombies and Such (2012, Electronic)
Timmy Trumpet & SCNDL - Bleed (Original Mix) (2013, Electronic)
Burggräfler Sänger - Erntedank (2013, German Choral)
Eelke Kleijn - Celebrate Life (2015, Electronic)
Simon Fransquet & Jocelyne Dominguez Camacho - La llorona (Dia de los muertos) (2018, Folk)
Miguel Berkemeier - Just Another Dawn (2020, Folk)
Tardigrade Inferno - Spooky Scary Skeletons (1996 original by Andrew Gold, 2021, Metal)

Footnote:
Want to create similar beats to Michael Jackson's "History"/Teddy Riley collaboration era, maybe check out Youtuber dilliot2k for tutorials

Please also check in with the following threads in the the Gear Talk sub-forum, if you're on the look-out for new tools:
Places to fuel your GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) (the starting point if you're in need of audio tools -- from free to affordable)

Also recommended to check out the following tools, if you're new to/need help with songwriting:
Plugin Boutique - Scaler 2 (highly recommended tool!)
CodeFN42 - Chordz (Transition is also recommended, if you want more experimental/generative MIDI, Free, Windows only)
W.A. Production - InstaChord and InstaScale
Fabrizio Poce / J74 - Progressive (Progressive Standalone might not be available anymore, else the "Max4Life" version)

UPDATED: 30-SEP-2021 09:30 UTC+2 (sourcing content: several hours), updated 00-OCT-2021 00:00 UTC+2
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC050 October 2021 - Submissions until 24-10-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within this week and to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

Our community is all about learning. So I highly encourage people listening in, to offer some insight and keep the conversation going.
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC050 October 2021 - Submissions until 24-10-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Happy autumn to all,

This month presents you with something different. I have tried to make music more festive and cheerful. And I also approached it in a different way: I used a single plugin !!
Everything sounds, music and effects are made with a single plugin: 15 instances of AIR Music Tech Transfuser2.
I guess you've heard of this plugin. I bought them on offer for less than € 20, but I had seriously tried it so far. I started messing around and got out of this.
The interface is old and with the Reason has a bug: when I activate the VST comes out the bottom cut, but if I close it and reopen it, it goes well.
In its favor it must be said that it has a thousand possibilities and that the workflow it offers is very fast. And most of all, a lot of fun. With 4 drag actions you already have something that sounds powerful and good.
I had so much fun making it !!

For the Mastering part, another plugin will be used: Ozone Standard 9. I visualize the gain limits in the HawLye SPL Alliance Plugin.

Let's see what you think. Thank you for your comments.

(translated with google)

Equipment:
DAW:
Reason 12

Instruments out of Reason:
AIR Music Tech Transfuser2 (15 instances)

Effects outside of Reason:
AIR Music Tech Transfuser2 (Reverb, Delay, Compressor, Phaser, Kill Eq, Maximizer...)

Other tools:
iZotope Ozone Standard 9
Plugin Alliance SPL HawEye
Last edited by EsteveCorbera on Mon Oct 18, 2021 18:25 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - maybe set yourself a private, was shorter deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes. By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

This is my first submission here. For the theme, I took inspiration from horror movie scores. The music, lyrics, and vocals are all produced, written, and performed by me.

Lyrics:
Chorus (x2):
When I'm spiitin I'm gettin this paper
Gotta take it all in, let it savor
Don't talk about you gettin it later
Watch me rise up to the top like a elevator

Verse 1:
When I make tracks I murder 'em
Can't talk about ur beats, never heard of em
When Arelem's on the mic you better watch yo back
Cause I'm takin out the trash, no cap
How many times I gotta do this
take you to the bakery where the proof is
Going so hard that it's stupid
Haven't I told ya'll that I'm the truest

Chorus (x2)

Bridge:
Don't step to me you best believe
The prophecy I'll plant the tree
and sow the seed of your defeat
You cannot see that lyric-ly
I supersede your ability
I can't be beat get on your knees
bow down and grieve
all you'll ever be is a wannabe

Verse 2:
Crushin all my enemies like Vader
Lyrics cuttin deep like a saber
In the studio cooking all day like a crockpot
Cause Arelem's on the mic, servin it up hot
Can't tell me on the real that my flow's wack
Talking all that trash get yo throat slashed
I produce write record, full stop
You buying all your songs from the thrift shop

Made using FL Studio 20.8.3

Instruments used:
808 sample for the bass, Flex and Sonatina Orchestra for the strings, Vital for the eerie background noise, Xpand!2 and flex for the keys

Effects used:
Fruity parametric EQ2, HornetThirtyOneMK2, Ozone 9, bx masterdesk, Maximus, Frontier, Fruity Limiter, Youlean Loudness Meter 2, OTT, Fruity Compressor, Fruity WaveShaper, Bass Buss lite, Frequency Splitter, MDynamicEq, Fruity Chorus, Fruity Convolver, Vocodex, Fruity Delay 3, Auto-Tune EFX, Fruity Reeverb 2, Little AlterBoy, Cymatics Origin, Wider, Super VHS, AIR Chorus, ValhallaSupermassive
fjansenson

Post by fjansenson »

Good Morning for Everyone!!!
Here my composition for SWC #50 Ocober 2021 "Wicked Party".

Wicked Party - "Out of Control”

My idea was born thinking of these last 2 years where people could not get together to celebrate or have parties as usual.
This year the possibility of having parties, dancing and having fun returns.
Thinking of a Big Wicked Party, with many people dressed up and dancing to the rhythm of the DJ's music, a Laboratory out of Control came to mind to create the song.
The initial siren motif (wich was modified with pitch changer to be in tone with the song harmony), accompanied by minor chords and a "horror climate" bass lick, gives a feeling of alertness and darkness, like something bad is happening.
But as we move forward, that alert motif, along with the major tones of the chorus, is transformed into a happy motif and the main ingredient of the song.
Hope you enjoy the music as I have enjoyed creating it.

fjansenson

Recorded and Mixed with Logic Pro X.
Midi Arturia Minilab controller.
Logic Pro X native plugins.
Siren .wav at 44.100Hz 16 bits taken from freesound.org
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

I've been listening to marching bands all (American) football season this year, as my daughter is in her high school band, which plays at all games as well as in band festivals with other bands. I love the huge and powerful sound they make.

I was initially inspired by Michael Jackson's "Thriller", as to me this song perfectly embodies the "wicked party" theme. I then watched a YouTube video similar to this one ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9fsKOh0L4g ), where they mentioned that the Dies Irae Gregorian chant is quoted in many films to reference death. I played around with the first few notes of this, and came up with a marching band-style version. That reminded me of the "bass line" for Mozart's 25th Symphony (K.183 Allegro con brio) ( https://open.spotify.com/track/64ta7ZvT ... 620fca4970 ), so I used that as well, but changed cadence to be more like the shrill shower scene music in the movie, "Psycho". I also included the famous diminished 7th chord arpeggio from Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in Dm" ( https://open.spotify.com/track/4ZFlzTrP ... c81f0e446d ), and moved that around a bit.

The idea was to have a rather upbeat and celebratory song, but to have a lot of references to scarier songs, to make it also sound more "wicked". With the old references, I didn't want to use too much of the song where they started sounding too familiar, especially to avoid the horrid "Hooked on Classics" feel ( https://youtu.be/P7PRGiQjbqk ).

I didn't want to mess with any effects really, as I wanted it to sound natural, and like something a real marching band could play. I just used a tiny bit of EQ, some reverb, and some stereo separation in Ozone. The digital trumpets were sounding a bit too shrill at louder volumes, so I added Soothe2 to tame them a bit as well.

It was a lot of fun to put together.

Instruments:
Realitone Screaming Trumpet (2x)
NI Kontakt Factory Library Trumpet (2x)
Yamaha YAS-280 Alto Sax
NI Kontakt Factory Library Sax
8Dio Fire Sax (subtly blended)
NI Kontakt Factory Baritone Sax
EWHO Trombone (2x)
Ivy Audio Carpenter Trombone
NI Kontakt Factory Library Trombone Section
EWHO Flutes (2x)
EWHO Clarinets
NI Kontakt Factory Library Tuba (2x)
EWHO Cimbasso (I couldn't get a good super low brass sound from anything else)
Spitfire Originals - Drumline (6x)

Effects:
Izotope Neutron 3 EQ
Valhalla Room reverb

Oeksound Soothe2
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Hi,

listening to the examples, under the influence of La llorona, I knew almost immediately that I wanted to do a Latin-like, melancholic, sad song.
(This is the slower, more melancholy part of the wicked party.:)

The bass is a bit dark, intentionally stronger, and I know there is still work to be done on the mix, but the month is over...

phpBB [media]

La madrugada
BPM: 102

VST:
Sublab
Serum
Pigments
Kontakt
(Ilya Efimov Acoustic Guitar
Strummed Acoustic
Kinetic Toys
Session Horns Pro
Maverick)
Sitala
IK Sampletank 4

FX:
Pro-Q3
Decapitator
Initial Reverse
OTT
Trackspacer
SSL Native BusComp
Purple MC-77
TR5 White2A
RVOX Stereo
VoxDoubler
Echoboy
Multipass
TranceGate
PanKnob
Blackhole
Seventh Heaven
Amplitube 5 X-Gear
AMBEO Orbit

Fabfilter Pro-MB
TR5 MasterEQ432
TR5 BusCompressor
Oxford Inflator
Oxford Limiter
Gullfoss
TR5 Tape Machine80
SPAN
Youlean LM

Samples from Splice.com (raven, laugh, riser)
► Show Spoiler